Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

You Am I posted:

God could you imaging Cricket Australia's Cultural Ambassador David Warner in that country? The Australian Foreign Minister will have to spend months afterwards trying to heal the damage done by him

The conversation more likely to happen imo is the Ambassador would lodge a formal protest in Canberra and Julie Bishop would need to spend a whole day explaining why Tony isn't allowed to send a diplomatic corps to Nauru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Ha, great line: "If he can do this to me, what will he do to the common man?"

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

You Am I posted:

God could you imaging Cricket Australia's Cultural Ambassador David Warner in that country? The Australian Foreign Minister will have to spend months afterwards trying to heal the damage done by him

Oh yes because in the last 15 years the australians have been the racist ones playing in Asia...

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

BlindSite posted:

Oh yes because in the last 15 years the australians have been the racist ones playing in Asia...

Yes, they have been, just not the only ones.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Unimpressed posted:

Yes, they have been, just not the only ones.

nah. Indians were worse. So very much worse, with what they did with Symonds. Half the indian board and half the australian board should've been keel hauled. Warner telling someone to speak english when they're yelling at him in hindi isn't as bad as Harbajan Singh calling Symonds a monkey more than once, then Sachin Tandulker changing his story after a meeting with his bosses, then lying on the stand and the Indian cricket board threatening to pull the team home costing the Aussie board millions of dollars if Singh wasn't allowed to play with no more than a slap on the wrist.

Not to mention Singh's lawyer literally lied under oath to a judge purposely omitting about 10 incidents where Singh had racially or verbally abused someone in a game to avoid a harsher penalty.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
That was one of the most disgusting moments in the sport and it completely destroyed trust between cricket Australia and Ricky Ponting while destroying Andrew Symonds career.

Let's not forget peter roebuck excusing the racism

Harbhajan Singh can be an irritating young man but he is head of a family and responsible for raising nine people. And all the Australian elders want to do is to hunt him from the game. Australian fieldsmen fire insults from the corners of their mouths, an intemperate Sikh warrior overreacts and his rudeness is seized upon. It might impress barrack room lawyers.

--------

He was just a Sikh warrior overreacting guys. Well Warner was just a bogan warrior overreacting so its all good.

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 6, 2015

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
god i hated peter roebuck. was not at all sad when i learnt he went sidewalk diving. disgusting, abusive racist pervert.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Burn Down Canberra posted:

--------

He was just a Sikh warrior overreacting guys. Well Warner was just a bogan warrior overreacting so its all good.

This is the actual opinion of half the Australian posters in this thread. And some will tell you that Rohit was the one in the wrong because he refused to speak English which was inconsiderate to Warner.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Half is a generalisation mate. I'd say it's the opinion of, like, two of us.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I'd hope that the more reasonable Australian posters do accept that David Warner was mighty lucky not to be suspended. It was at best verging on the racial. I think he probably should have copped a game or two to make him wake up to himself. It was more confrontational (although less racist) than what Lehman got suspended for years ago.

Can anyone remember when Warne called Ntini a " John Blackman" classic Warne. What an oaf.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Just realised there is cricket on tonight. Hell yeah my dudes.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

RideTheSpiral posted:

This is the actual opinion of half the Australian posters in this thread. And some will tell you that Rohit was the one in the wrong because he refused to speak English which was inconsiderate to Warner.

i don't think there's a single australian poster here that doesn't think warner is a massive dickhead though :confused:

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Drugs posted:

and I will be on a flight for the exact duration of this days cricket :doh:

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
They really need to start the day's play earlier than 11. I'm in work and bored shitless waiting for the cricket to start. What do they expect me to do? Actually work?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Also a reminder that current Australia coach Boof was caught yelling racial insults so loud that the officials in the next dressing room heard and complained.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Drugs posted:

Get pumped for 2.5 days of test cricket!

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

BrigadierSensible posted:

Also a reminder that current Australia coach Boof was caught yelling racial insults so loud that the officials in the next dressing room heard and complained.

hang on i worked it out on a spreadsheet and it says that other countries are wankers in their own way too so it all balances out see nothing to worry about

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

webmeister posted:

i don't think there's a single australian poster here that doesn't think warner is a massive dickhead though :confused:

You think wrong then

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Have they spun the wheel to decide which team is going to be poo poo yet?

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Monday's ep of 4 corners might be good

quote:

As the Ashes play out in England, Four Corners takes you into the backroom power plays of the cricket elite where an audacious coup has delivered extraordinary power to India, at the expense of smaller cricketing nations.

Featuring interviews with the titans of the game, the program exposes how India has engineered a massive shift in influence, with huge ramifications for how and where the game is played. India now virtually dictates the international cricket calendar.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Smarsh is in for Mmarsh apparently.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Interesting call. It does look like a wicket where we need batsmen

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I don't think it is a good move. True S for M Marsh adds extra batting, but it takes away a bowler, and a bowler that can hold up an end when either of the Mitch's are bowling their inevitable pies.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

BrigadierSensible posted:

I don't think it is a good move. True S for M Marsh adds extra batting, but it takes away a bowler, and a bowler that can hold up an end when either of the Mitch's are bowling their inevitable pies.
Disagree. Middle order's been our clear problem this series, not the bowlers. Right call.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
hopefully voges fires

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Shmoses posted:

Disagree. Middle order's been our clear problem this series, not the bowlers. Right call.

Yeah Australia have lost two tests because their batsmen vanished, not because they couldn't take 20 wickets.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I guess when Starc's poo poo they can just throw the ball to Warner, or maybe Clarke is going to start bowling again

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

snaeksikn posted:

hopefully voges fires himself into the sun

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Cook wins toss and bowls.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Prediction - Australia will be 1/348 at stumps

Clarke's down to 5, Marsh at 4

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

England will be 3/80 by close. 10 in front.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Did Clarke say we would have batted ?

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
He did his angry thing where he says it doesn't matter what he would have done if he'd won because he lost

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Scylo posted:

He did his angry thing where he says it doesn't matter what he would have done if he'd won because he lost
Yeah he was fuming at the toss. Made it pretty clear the selection wasn't his call.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

He is such a grouch lol. What a terrible interview he can be.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Lungboy posted:

Cook wins toss and bowls.

Welp that's the test, thanks for coming all!

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

quote:

Clarke's down to 5, Marsh at 4

:wtc:

:10bux: says marsh to get a 100

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I can see both sides of the argument. It's seen as a negative move to add to the batting but we only took 5 batsmen into the last test so to me its just common sense.

On the other hand M Marsh is a good stump to stump bowler which is a good bowler to have in England.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Anyone know why Cook chose to bowl? Just wants to get at the low confidence Aussie batsmen or is the pitch a greentop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
like the move. having a 5th bowler is overrated in tests.