Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenDragon42
Apr 29, 2009

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Is there some sort of voxel constructor that exports blueprints using the SE parts? I like designing ships but it takes soooo long to build really big ships, even using creative, that I tend to get bored before I finish construction. It's mostly from the tediousness of flying around while you build it. I wish I could just use my mouse to draw out the layers or something.

I'm working on an application to do something similar to that. It's currently in Steam Greenlight, take a look: Cube Planner. It's not specific for SE, I'm intending to have it useful for pretty much every voxel cube game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Is there some sort of voxel constructor that exports blueprints using the SE parts? I like designing ships but it takes soooo long to build really big ships, even using creative, that I tend to get bored before I finish construction. It's mostly from the tediousness of flying around while you build it. I wish I could just use my mouse to draw out the layers or something.

The symmetry tools take some getting used to but makes life a lot easier.

You know about holding control and shift (or both at the same time) in creative mode right? And of course there's also the clipboard. There's no option to copy part of an object as far as I know, so you have to copy the entire object, then cut off the part you don't need, and copy the rest to the clipboard again.

I think SE toolbox lets you import 3d objects and have them converted to asteroids. Asteroids only though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stick Insect posted:

I think SE toolbox lets you import 3d objects and have them converted to asteroids. Asteroids only though.

No, I think there's somehow a way to import them as blocks as well. I know there's some blank hulls of ships on the Workshop that are apparently imported from 3D models.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

There is, I've tried it with a few free models. You can specify stuff like size, solid/hollow etc. But its really rough and all the results I got had mistakes and tons to clean up, It seemed better to start from scratch.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I converted a few ships from Empire at War into SE Large Ships 1:1 via 3ds max and a script I found, and it is surprising just how big some things are.

There are, however, major replication errors that way, as to be expected when trying to build a certain shape out of nothing but boxes and box-related shapes.

Edit: RIP easy-made blueprint for Lucrehulk super ship.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Hahah I've been going into the menu and changing the settings from single to line to plane depending on what I'm doing :ughh:

You guys are the best. Thanks for making me realize I'm an idiot.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

So a game called Empyrion: Galactic Survival came out and it looks remarkably like Space Engineers but with a planetary focus. Has anyone tried this yet? Thoughts?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sankis posted:

So a game called Empyrion: Galactic Survival came out and it looks remarkably like Space Engineers but with a planetary focus. Has anyone tried this yet? Thoughts?

Empyrion looks fantastic, and it'll be interesting to see which winds up the better game. Space Engineers is behind it a bit, but they could still catch up if they can optimize the engine for bigger ships.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Empyrion looks fantastic, and it'll be interesting to see which winds up the better game. Space Engineers is behind it a bit, but they could still catch up if they can optimize the engine for bigger ships.

This. This game right here has given me the motivation to hook my desktop back up. It looks amazing!

Also, I'm pulling my lazy rear end out of game-retirement.

SE Servers will be polished up and relaunched by Friday.

Does ME have servers yet? Is there any interest in one?

zennik fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 6, 2015

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I'd be interested in an ME server, but maybe if it was structured PVP like that Blockskrieg Minecraft server a while back.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One the plus side, I've finally made a ground vehicle I'm actually happy with. On the down/better side, it only looks mildly like a penis on wheels :v:.

The raised base for the tank cannon's because it's built like the W.A.S.P. gunship's eject-able module wings - basically chop-and-change what you need for the job at hand on the roof like Welders or extra cargo containers as a standardized truck/APC/whatever. The side-mounted spotlights are just for that sci-fi horror movie creatures-lurking-in-the-night look.

Now I just need to work on a way to drop it from an Avalon Battleship to a planet without it going splat.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Slap vertical thrusters on it. :sr1:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
9.8m/s/s is a loving lot of thrust to strap on something in this game, which is why hopefully the introduction of planets will also be the introduction of stages and rocket boosters :getin:

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Some pictures:

The beginnings of an asteroid outpost in my new survival world. Kuybyshev is parked just outside. Unfortunately some new and exciting bug causes the twin welders on the GCV to kill its pilot when activated, so it's all hand-welding for now.

New 100-ton heavy fighter/long-range scout. It trades acceleration and agility (as well as ease of docking) for an expanded sensor/comms suite.

It's a pretty hardy little fucker, despite my decision to shave about 15 tons off by foregoing any heavy armour at all and also converting all of the interior structure to scaffolds.

I also did some weapons testing, mostly OKI stuff.

One 200mm rocket, roughly centre of mass. Ship's still functional, but only barely, and a quick burst of gunfire would shatter it. These rockets are monsters.

Top left was three aimed shots with 122mm cannon, I think you can tell where. Bottom left was a single 200mm rocket to the wingtip (!) which totally ratfucked half the fighter. The other two I went to town on with various guns.

The real gem is the quad 23mm cannon, though. It combines the power of the CSD autocannon with the rate of fire of a gatling. A quick burst from two quads was enough to severely damage a target fighter, so I whacked another four on to see what happened if I shot a few very short, raking bursts from behind, as if in pursuit. This was the result.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Actual combat will be a very interesting thing if the netcode is fixed/updated as part of the Planets update.

So many things to try, oh yes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Update time!

1.094 posted:

Summary
This week we added the new cockpit model for small ships. We also added a particle effect for collisions – e.g. when a ship crashes on an asteroid. Additionally, we have applied some changes to the mass of the objects inside the inventories. The mass is now based on the inventory size world setting. When the inventory size will be ten times bigger, then the mass will be divided by ten; same logic is also applied to inventories which are 3 times bigger, etc. Moreover, we have rebalanced the volume of the large container for large ships and the medium and large containers for small ships: the small ship medium container is now 3,375 liters, the small ship large container is now 15,625 liters, and the large container for large ships is now +/- 421,000 liters.
New tutorial scenarios have been added as well. The jetpack tutorial displays the controls needed for flight which is followed by a series of assault course style sections to challenge your ability to fly quickly and accurately, you have a limited time from the moment you begin each section to reach the exit door. Watch out for hazards! The inventory tutorial explains how to pick items up and how to access conveyor hatches to deposit items within by using your inventory screen. The tutorial also contains a simple explanation of how to use terminals to access blocks and manipulate their control panel settings.
In addition, we added a warning when jump cannot be commenced. When the ship is too close to an object that the player wants to jump to, a warning will be displayed that the jump cannot be performed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPDST_8w9IQ

Features
- new cockpit model for small ships
- collision particle effect
- new tutorial scenarios
- rebalanced cargo capacity
- rebalanced the mass of the objects inside inventories
- warning when jump cannot be commenced

Fixes
- fixed impact sound not playing

Someone on their design team is really having fun with making tutorial levels :allears:.

HardDisk posted:

Slap vertical thrusters on it. :sr1:

It's either gonna be this, or I somehow rebuild my aerospace cargo lifter into something capable of hauling a fully-laden Tank down to the surface and can yet somehow still fit in one of my standard landing bays.

edit:

UberJew posted:

9.8m/s/s is a loving lot of thrust to strap on something in this game, which is why hopefully the introduction of planets will also be the introduction of stages and rocket boosters :getin:

Or I could just feed my VTOL Lifter steroids.

The forward thrust is kinda slow but damned if it can't climb.

Turns out it'll happily toss around an unladen tank/truck (still need a name for the drat thing) with plenty of thrust to spare for presumably a fully-loaded one and maybe even a cargo pod as well. Still gotta redesign it a little to account for roof attachments like gun turrets though.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 7, 2015

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Thats really cool.

I wonder if that pelican/warthog combo I saw in the workshop is still a viable design with the recent changes...

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I just spent a few hours building a small ship. I went to go test out the weaponry and found out the hard way that I put the rocket launchers on backwards.

I have a bad habit of never saving until I'm done.

:shepicide:

That ship was ugly anyway.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Other tests of skill include "Whoops I cut the ship in half instead of a bit off the top", and "I forgot to turn off the turrets and now my new un-owned ship is in pieces"

I've done both of those.

Hommando fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Aug 7, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hommando posted:

I just spent a few hours building a small ship. I went to go test out the weaponry and found out the hard way that I put the rocket launchers on backwards.

Congratulations, you're a proper Space Engineer now :allears:. Other tests of skill include "did I save a blueprint before I deleted it?", "Whoops I cut the ship in half instead of a bit off the top", and "I forgot to turn off the turrets and now my new un-owned ship is in pieces"

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Inventory x10 plus the new mass system doesn't seem like it works how the developers intended. Good thing a tiny mod came out that divides mass by 10, giving behavior similar to how people experience the update at x1. It saved the ships on my server from total redesigns, yet we still need to adapt to the new situation.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Congratulations, you're a proper Space Engineer now :allears:. Other tests of skill include "did I save a blueprint before I deleted it?", "Whoops I cut the ship in half instead of a bit off the top", and "I forgot to turn off the turrets and now my new un-owned ship is in pieces"
Or, "oh poo poo that piece I just ground off was holding the entire thing together now the unpowered part is drifting off into space"

Mindblast posted:

Inventory x10 plus the new mass system doesn't seem like it works how the developers intended. Good thing a tiny mod came out that divides mass by 10, giving behavior similar to how people experience the update at x1. It saved the ships on my server from total redesigns, yet we still need to adapt to the new situation.
I think the latest update fixed that.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

LegoMan posted:

Or, "oh poo poo that piece I just ground off was holding the entire thing together now the unpowered part is drifting off into space"

I'm a fan of "good job on the rotor, champ, shame you didn't check that the parts you bolted to it had enough clearance and now any time you turn it on it's smacking into other parts of your ship/the asteroid you built your base into/etc".

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

It took me way longer than it should've to figure out how to make my windows both transparent/opaque in the correct directions and bolted onto things correctly so as to not fly off into space.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

chairface posted:

It took me way longer than it should've to figure out how to make my windows both transparent/opaque in the correct directions and bolted onto things correctly so as to not fly off into space.

I wish there were some better vanilla tools for glass panes and/or blocks. It's really hard to make a decent Large Ship bridge that has visibility so you don't have to use 3rd-person flying. Mine always end up being a combination of kinda weird-shaped and comically vulnerable.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

I wish there were some better vanilla tools for glass panes and/or blocks. It's really hard to make a decent Large Ship bridge that has visibility so you don't have to use 3rd-person flying. Mine always end up being a combination of kinda weird-shaped and comically vulnerable.

What it really needs is the ability for screens to render cameras, so your CIC can be buried under mountains of armor but still see the outside.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JerikTelorian posted:

What it really needs is the ability for screens to render cameras, so your CIC can be buried under mountains of armor but still see the outside.

I need to mount the cameras, but I've about managed that with mine. Darth Biomech has some neat turret-mounted ones.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Is there a thread for Empyrion or does the game not have enough content to warrant a thread? I'd love to try it, but I only have a 32 bit OS.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
I can't imagine a 32bit only cpu with the memory limitations working with Space Engineers, what OS are you on? Windows 8 and 10 don't care if your licence is for 32bit or 64bit and some people on Win7 successfully phoned up Microsoft to get a new key to switch from 32bit to 64bit though they'll try and sell you a new DVD. It's simple enough to backup and reformat too.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

LegoMan posted:

I think the latest update fixed that.

I started in the last week so it was weird when I hopped on last night and my small mining ship monstrosity was accelerating at more then 0.1m/s2 with a full container and i didn't even need to turn on the extra battery to avoid overload when using dampeners to maneuver while full

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Verizian posted:

I can't imagine a 32bit only cpu with the memory limitations working with Space Engineers, what OS are you on? Windows 8 and 10 don't care if your licence is for 32bit or 64bit and some people on Win7 successfully phoned up Microsoft to get a new key to switch from 32bit to 64bit though they'll try and sell you a new DVD. It's simple enough to backup and reformat too.

The key does transfer between 32/64 bit freely, even on Win7. You can get legit Windows ISOs from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery and a program to install from USB stick (so much faster than DVD) from http://wudt.codeplex.com/.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

McGiggins posted:

Actual combat will be a very interesting thing if the netcode is fixed/updated as part of the Planets update.

So many things to try, oh yes.

Unfortunately, it generally tends to be quite unfun. Whoever's ship accelerates faster can simply engage and disengage at will with no real chance at retaliation unless their victim scores a lucky hit as they pass, and fights between ships of roughly equal acceleration and agility rapidly degenerate into circlestrafing while holding LMB. I've been designing my fighters more for looks than function as a result.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Servers are live again!

Click Here for Info

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

rossmum posted:

Unfortunately, it generally tends to be quite unfun. Whoever's ship accelerates faster can simply engage and disengage at will with no real chance at retaliation unless their victim scores a lucky hit as they pass, and fights between ships of roughly equal acceleration and agility rapidly degenerate into circlestrafing while holding LMB. I've been designing my fighters more for looks than function as a result.

Hell even mine's pretty much just a deterrent. You gotta really commit to taking on something with that much armor and that many guns, and it's probably gonna take your ship with it even if it doesn't outright sink yours.

I've raised the height on what I've now dubbed the W.A.S.P. Battlewagon (:black101:) to give it a bit more clearance on hills and things. The low-slung profile didn't do it any favours on anything steeper than flat terrain :v:.

It's also gained a Cargo Pod that it can indeed haul around when fully-loaded. The vehicle's designed as a one-size-fits-all deal, so a bunch of 'em dropped on a planet can theoretically build, destroy, or protect a base.

I've also finished a grinding/welding construction rig (same thing, different tools mounted). I'm not quite happy with the side arms, and I'm probably going to push the connection back a conveyor/container just to make the lower arms a little longer.

The cabin's basically a cramped APC that'll carry a decent number of passengers along with the driver, and that reactor's just a temporary one for testing everything. The actual ones used are stored in the rear half of the vehicle along with O2 generation/storage etc.

The cockpit's also set for customizable LCD's too. Got the timer and programming blocks in, just got to actually set it all up.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Verizian posted:

I'm using XP on an Intel Core2 X6800. I use my computer for pretty basic poo poo, so haven't had a need to upgrade. Empyrion has almost given me a reason, but I'm not buying a whole new computer and OS for a pre-alpha game. Still, it looks like an interesting game and I enjoy watching the LP videos and was just wondering if there was a thread for it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SkunkDuster posted:

I'm using XP on an Intel Core2 X6800. I use my computer for pretty basic poo poo, so haven't had a need to upgrade. Empyrion has almost given me a reason, but I'm not buying a whole new computer and OS for a pre-alpha game. Still, it looks like an interesting game and I enjoy watching the LP videos and was just wondering if there was a thread for it.

You're using a now-antiquated OS in an age of ransomware and XP having been cracked wide open now that it's no longer officially supported by Microsoft. Upgrade. that. poo poo.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

zennik posted:

Servers are live again!

Click Here for Info

Yay! Been too long since I got to mess around with goons.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Has anyone managed to work out a decent mapping for gamepads?

I really want to get back into this, btw, I'm just waiting for planets, and goddamn it's taking a long time. :(

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Played Empyrion a little bit. Maybe I'm missing things but it would be nice if there were a construction queue. Like if I want to build a Base starter, I shouldn't have to build each individual part. I should be able to click it, and it starts building the prereq items and I can walk away and when I come back it's done. Otherwise it has a LOT of potential.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

LegoMan posted:

Played Empyrion a little bit. Maybe I'm missing things but it would be nice if there were a construction queue. Like if I want to build a Base starter, I shouldn't have to build each individual part. I should be able to click it, and it starts building the prereq items and I can walk away and when I come back it's done. Otherwise it has a LOT of potential.

Take on Mars has the same problem at them moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

So I tested a Battlewagon carrying a fully-loaded cargo pod to see how it handled a slight ledge (you can see the original ground-level on either side of the hole). Surprisingly it handled being dropped from my cargo lifter just fine.

• Locked thread