Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Ruggington posted:

I think this just happens at every showing

The only thing the crowd lost it at more was Vegeta hitting Goku for hogging Freeza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

I just don't understand the intense dislike people suddenly have for Yamcha.

I mean, the dude's irrelevant. Who even cares one way or the other about him?

blame the yamcha fans for being really defensive

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
I always liked Yamcha's design, especially that he'd change his look every once in a while, glad that the other characters got new outfits and poo poo for Super and the new movies, and as unlikely as it is I hope for at least one episode of Super that lets the B-team shine, and like sure people poo poo on Yamcha all the time but it always seemed to me out of the Z-fighters, him and Krillin ended up pretty good from where they first started out and have the better lives of the group but thats more cause they were the "average" ones of the group so they were more along for the ride rather than being obsessed with fighting

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Stairmaster posted:

blame the yamcha fans for being really defensive

Yamcha has fans?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Movie owned

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

NutritiousSnack posted:

The only thing the crowd lost it at more was Vegeta hitting Goku for hogging Freeza.

Yeah everyone loved it. Crowd reactions were great.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Krillin and Gohan's guerilla warfare on Namek is probably some of my favorite stuff in the series. They were dancing a fine line in every single battle, it was awesome.

Krillin having to be the head honcho for a little while was fun too, cause you knew he just wanted to poo poo his pants.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Movie was a lot of fun. Jaco is my favorite Dragon Ball character.

Also somebody bootlegged the movie which I thought was pretty funny after all of the "DO NOT FILM THIS" signs that were on the screen.

Dangerous Person fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 6, 2015

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

It's all fun and games until she starts showing you her Hetalia box set

but Hetalia's a funny show

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
not gonna be able to see the movie as it turns out but that's fine since it'll just be in Super in a few months anyway!!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Jaco was rad. Crowd started out really confused by his presence but by the end they were laughing or cheering for every one of his bits.

Whole movie was rad, really.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Resurrection of F this Sunday, I'm loving stoked for it. Can't believe I get to see two DBZ movies in the year of our lord twenty fifteen.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dragon_ball_z_resurrection_f/

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Why is there such limited showings :negative:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Resurrection Fresh

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Just got back from seeing Resurrection F. It was a fun movie with top tier humor, and an "eh" ending.

Jaco absolutely stole the show. My friends who had no idea who he was, loved him.

The best part was a dad trying trying to explain Dragonball to his awestruck son after the movie. :3:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Just got back from seeing Resurrection F. It was a fun movie with top tier humor, and an "eh" ending.

Jaco absolutely stole the show. My friends who had no idea who he was, loved him.

The best part was a dad trying trying to explain Dragonball to his awestruck son after the movie. :3:

This was pretty much my feelings on it too. So much fun, even if it did try to bombard you with characters and such. Pace is almost a 180 of BoG, and could probably have used a good oh, 20 minutes more, but overall fun.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Edit: Bad

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Shinjobi posted:

Krillin and Gohan's guerilla warfare on Namek is probably some of my favorite stuff in the series. They were dancing a fine line in every single battle, it was awesome.

Krillin having to be the head honcho for a little while was fun too, cause you knew he just wanted to poo poo his pants.

That was my favorite "era" too. I like it when a non-Saiyan can still get a couple good blows in during a fight, and they held their own against Frieza for a while.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
For a movie being advertised for the 4th-12th this only is being shown for about 4 of those days at wildly inconsistent times in my area. I really hope they extend the screenings for this like they did with Battle of Gods.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Ruggington posted:

I loved yamcha as a kid and picked him in all the fighting games

Same but Tien/Nappa/Recoome/Piccolo

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
why would you ever pick yamcha, objectively the worst of the z fighters. i can understand krillin, hes cool, but yamcha ws so bland and gay.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Considering one of Yamcha's most basic character traits is wanting to bang women I'm not sure you can classify him as gay.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

ImpAtom posted:

Considering one of Yamcha's most basic character traits is wanting to bang women I'm not sure you can classify him as gay.

If you have enough strength of will, you can classify anything as gay.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
What about Chaozu? Chiatzou? Shiatsu? Who?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

tbp posted:

why would you ever pick yamcha, objectively the worst of the z fighters. i can understand krillin, hes cool, but yamcha ws so bland and gay.

In Budokai, Wolf Fang Fist was insane.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
Honestly the B team hasn't really had any victories in a very long time other than Krillin, like what is the actual last time Tien defeated someone in battle? Is it Cyborg Tao? or did he take out a Saibaman?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ekusukariba posted:

Honestly the B team hasn't really had any victories in a very long time other than Krillin, like what is the actual last time Tien defeated someone in battle? Is it Cyborg Tao? or did he take out a Saibaman?

He defeated a member of the Ginyu Force!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

ImpAtom posted:

One of his early traits was being actively afraid of women, which I still wouldn't say is indicative of homosexuality.

But when we were watching this it was like 2001, so Yamucha was definitely dumb and gay back then.

People dislike Yamcha because he's synonymous with being a loser, he has only won like two fights ever, one was because Goku hadn't eaten and in the other he had to let an old pervert metaphorically jizz all over his girlfriend's bare chest, so who was the real winner in that fight?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Some Numbers posted:

In Budokai, Wolf Fang Fist was insane.

It's nice in Xenoverse too.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

It's pretty obvious that Yamcha didn't show up in revival due to Toriyama not wanting to break Yamcha's legendary losing streak.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

He defeated a member of the Ginyu Force!

Outside of Filler than? Because Filler had that one scene where Yamcha is able to go toe to toe with people supposed as strong as Perfect Cell, which kinda makes it funny when you think about, All Yamcha had to do to be a great fighter was be dead before the fight started

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I'd love to see someone that's super fast but can't actually physically outmatch someone like Goku, so they fight dirty. Thumb in the eye, crotchgrab, throwing dirt, flicking blood, some real Ric Flair poo poo you know?

Also, how come if a baddie is fast enough to get multiple yet ineffective light punches on someone, they don't just... linoleum knife em.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Frieza's so loving cool and whiny

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Generally, ki is like a constantly sliding create a character scale where the fighters are constantly taking away from power for more defense, etc. etc. etc. Since people who have trained more to have more ki have more to work with, they will just slide towards "speed" to match up with whatever the person is doing, or "defense" to block whatever.

Goku's problem, as Whis points out in Revival F, is that he constantly cuts his slider "off" when he's not actively engaging someone. Which matches how he was using the kaioken against Freeza, where he just cut it on in quick bursts over and over again during an actual attack/block.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Speaking of wrestling, Yamcha is basically the jobber of Dragonball. He mostly just has your basic shonen antagonist fate, meaning that after his initial arc, his job is to get his rear end kicked to show how much stronger the new villain is, not unlike Tenshinhan, Piccolo or Vegeta and hell, even Freeza and the Androids. The problem is that his villain arc was the very first of of Dragonball, and even then his claim to fame is just being able to kinda fight a hungry Goku. After that he only two jobs: Geting his rear end kicked and spouting exposition about famous martial artist. So, basically just to show how powerful Goku's new enemy is going to be.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

e X posted:

Speaking of wrestling, Yamcha is basically the jobber of Dragonball. He mostly just has your basic shonen antagonist fate, meaning that after his initial arc, his job is to get his rear end kicked to show how much stronger the new villain is, not unlike Tenshinhan, Piccolo or Vegeta and hell, even Freeza and the Androids. The problem is that his villain arc was the very first of of Dragonball, and even then his claim to fame is just being able to kinda fight a hungry Goku. After that he only two jobs: Geting his rear end kicked and spouting exposition about famous martial artist. So, basically just to show how powerful Goku's new enemy is going to be.

And even if they don't get to win the big fights, Piccolo still kills Raditz, he still beats second form Freeza and fights 17 to a standstill. Tienshinhan holds down Semi-Perfect Cell and fights Buu later. Vegeta is kicking rear end left right and centre on Namek, and I think kills every antagonist who gets killed there. He still beats Goku later and the only one who fought better against Beerus had to literally ascend to godhood to do it. Yamcha gets loving nothing.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Prison Warden posted:

And even if they don't get to win the big fights, Piccolo still kills Raditz, he still beats second form Freeza and fights 17 to a standstill. Tienshinhan holds down Semi-Perfect Cell and fights Buu later. Vegeta is kicking rear end left right and centre on Namek, and I think kills every antagonist who gets killed there. He still beats Goku later and the only one who fought better against Beerus had to literally ascend to godhood to do it. Yamcha gets loving nothing.

Yeah, but that is what I mean with Yamcha's ultimate problem being that he is the first villain fighter of the series. Dragonball changed a lot during the it's run, not just from DB to DBZ. Or better, that change is not a hard cut.
But in the beginning, the fights were actually much less prominent and a hell of a lot shorter. Also, it was pretty much just Goku who fought, outside of tournaments. And by the time that somewhat changed and the fights became more prominent, he already wasn't the one in the former antagonist role anymore.

What I am trying to say is that, during the time were it would were Yamcha was in the position to fight the secondary villain or some henchmen or deliver a beatdown to someone so they get a power update during the second act of a story, those things were simply not a part of Dragonball yet.

e X fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 6, 2015

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Prison Warden posted:

He sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Yamcha cut off Oozaru Goku's tail and saved the world.

Also he drives cool cars and is a professional athlete. i think Tien is the real loser here: all he does is train and he still jobs like hell. At least Yamcha saved Krillin by taking on that saibaman.

• Locked thread