Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

Lestaki posted:

Frankly, this is pretty weak. I've been over that scene to confirm and Kyubey is explicit that the sacrifice of magical girls helped mankind progress throughout history and acted as a foundation for the modern age. Even though Kyubey is ultimately speculating at the very end, his narrative role is to define the rules of the setting for the audience, something you're relying on pretty heavily to make your arguments about the wraiths and about wishes. When he's outright wrong about something, it's because Madoka or Homura have exceeded his expectations. I'd say the balance of probability is that he's being accurate when he says that, but even if you disagree with me, there's very little in the text that tends against that point of view.

I feel that my point wasn't so much about the world as is, but the world as it would be without Magical Girls. The world in Madoka is created by the sacrifices of Magical Girls, this much is true, but would it really be the case that humans would never develop without them? Given the nature of the Incubators and how they view humans (comparing us to livestock), I wouldn't be surprised if their assessment was selling us very short. Ultimately, while it is a critical piece of the puzzle in regards to handling Magical Girls in totality, we don't have a control to draw conclusions from, unless you wanted to include real life which is reaching a bit. As well, I'm more apt to believe their assessment of the universe (being that they appear to be a universal hivemind with access but no control over the universe's "backend", as it were) over their appraisal of humans. To the Incubators, humans are nothing more than a means to gaining energy, and are to be discarded once their use has run its course.

Lestaki posted:

I'm not convinced that Kyouko is much of an authority, but she does serve to reinforce Kyubey's point, and he is much more of an authority. Your points on wraiths are interesting but frankly I don't think they amount to much more than speculation, akin to my pet theory that Homura's time travelling empowered Walpurgis Night. I can as easily argue that Homura is right to observe at the end of the series that Wraiths are the new manifestation of the 'curses of the world', and it's trivial to observe that human evil is not limited to teenage girls with transformation sequences. So at this point what we're really arguing about is what we think is thematically interesting. Personally, I think it would be altogether too pat if all the supernatural problems in the setting derive directly from the existence of magical girls. That ultimately makes the setting solvable, and I think it's important that a perfect world (in the narrow sense of eliminating all supernatural struggles) is unobtainable. Madoka and Homura attempt systemic change for different reasons and in different ways, but both of them can only do so much and both of them make sacrifices of themselves and of others to achieve this. Ultimately, I think a story of overthrowing an evil system outright is boring. I'm far more interested in stories about people struggling to make incremental improvements to a necessary but destructive monolith. The Grail War is objectively unnecessary; it remains to be seen whether magical girls are similarly unnecessary in Madoka.

You're correct that most of anything we say on the Wraiths is going to be speculative by definition, the information we have on them is basically zero. Ultimately it does come down to a thematic argument, yes. Personally, I believe Madoka's main "evil" is not so much Magical Girls, as Magical Girls are merely the symptom of the root cause: wish fulfillment. This is what Madoka as a work is pushing against, and what the characters are grappling with. There is no evil in Madoka so much as misguided idealism, and the solution to the problems in Madoka is the destruction of that idealism. This is why the solutions presented in Madoka so far are untenable, because their origin lies in that idealism. Madoka's world was fated to be destroyed for a number of reasons, but thematically it ties into wish fulfillment and how it affected Homura. Madoka's wish was a detriment to Homura, as no wish is without it's cost. We see much the same with Homura's wish being realized again with her betrayal, and her world is fated to be destroyed for the exact same reason. Thus to me the ultimate goal of Madoka is not the destruction of evil but of the idealism founded on wish fulfillment. Whether or not this is achieved within the system of Magical Girls is unknown.

Lestaki posted:

On that note, I am very suspicious of drawing thematic parallels between Fate Zero and Madoka. They both examine idealism but they end quite differently; the grail is inherently tainted and so never could cause good, but wishes in Madoka tend to complete neutrality. Even if they create as many distortions as miracles, I'd argue that ill-judged wishes can still tend to evil, and more purposeful wishes can tend to good in a way that just isn't true in Fate Zero. Ultimately, I think that Madoka's wish was not futile and created a measurable improvement in the world- something Homura preserved in her new world. I don't see Homura's betrayal as a cosmic inevitability but as something far more interesting: an overwhelming eruption of her selfish but deeply felt personal feelings that Madoka downplayed, and ultimately a rejection of Madoka's sacrifice. If Madoka is wrong (I'm in two minds about this) I think it's because her self-sacrifice hurts her and the people who care about her, not because of her idealism as such. Homura had a great quote about this in season one but I can't quite remember it. .

I find that Fate/Zero and Madoka are companion works, focusing on the same idea, the screed against wish fulfillment, but coming to different conclusions. Fate/Zero ends with the negation of that idealism, as Kiritsugu fails. Madoka goes in the opposite direction as Madoka appears to succeed. What Rebellion then does as a consequence is bring Madoka back to what Fate/Zero described, as Madoka's wish was destroyed, and it seems as though the series is once again on track to reach the ultimate conclusion that Fate/Zero did: Wish fulfillment was always a fool's game.

As for Madoka's wish, I feel it is fairly objectively a "sidegrade" to the original universe. I feel her wish only achieved two things:
One, the immediate problem of Walpurgisnacht and Kriemhild Gretchen, which are admittedly large problems that needed a solution and Madoka did solve them.
Two, taking Magical Girls into the Law of Cycles.
The issue I have with this is, is this really better than turning into a Witch? In both cases it involves a fall into despair, the lives of Magical Girls are unchanged in the new world, Sayaka is still dead. Witches represent a retreat from the world into a fantasy where the Magical Girl no longer has to deal with their despair and can live as they please. It is a dream world, much like the Law of Cycles itself. Madoka didn't really improve the lot of Magical Girls, she just altered their outcome slightly. And while yes, you can argue that Witches killed people, Wraiths most likely do as well, and thus the problem of that supernatural force still exists. At the very least, it appears finite and doesn't look like it'll completely destroy the world this time.

I didn't mean to imply that Homura's betrayal was entirely driven by fate, merely that it is one aspect of the whole regarding her betrayal. Everything you said on it is true, and there is more on it besides, it is an immensely complicated topic with many factors going into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

At first I thought that was the actual manga and was thinking "my god I heard it was bad but that's just poo poo".

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Uh, that is good actually.

Except the resolution.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Lord Justice posted:

I feel that my point wasn't so much about the world as is, but the world as it would be without Magical Girls. The world in Madoka is created by the sacrifices of Magical Girls, this much is true, but would it really be the case that humans would never develop without them? Given the nature of the Incubators and how they view humans (comparing us to livestock), I wouldn't be surprised if their assessment was selling us very short. Ultimately, while it is a critical piece of the puzzle in regards to handling Magical Girls in totality, we don't have a control to draw conclusions from, unless you wanted to include real life which is reaching a bit. As well, I'm more apt to believe their assessment of the universe (being that they appear to be a universal hivemind with access but no control over the universe's "backend", as it were) over their appraisal of humans. To the Incubators, humans are nothing more than a means to gaining energy, and are to be discarded once their use has run its course.

We'll just have to leave that one be, but I will note that it's pretty cute how in Madoka's world history all the heavy lifting was done by the Great Women of History when they weren't getting trolled by a rabbit cat.

Lord Justice posted:

I find that Fate/Zero and Madoka are companion works, focusing on the same idea, the screed against wish fulfillment, but coming to different conclusions. Fate/Zero ends with the negation of that idealism, as Kiritsugu fails. Madoka goes in the opposite direction as Madoka appears to succeed. What Rebellion then does as a consequence is bring Madoka back to what Fate/Zero described, as Madoka's wish was destroyed, and it seems as though the series is once again on track to reach the ultimate conclusion that Fate/Zero did: Wish fulfillment was always a fool's game.

As for Madoka's wish, I feel it is fairly objectively a "sidegrade" to the original universe. I feel her wish only achieved two things:
One, the immediate problem of Walpurgisnacht and Kriemhild Gretchen, which are admittedly large problems that needed a solution and Madoka did solve them.
Two, taking Magical Girls into the Law of Cycles.
The issue I have with this is, is this really better than turning into a Witch? In both cases it involves a fall into despair, the lives of Magical Girls are unchanged in the new world, Sayaka is still dead. Witches represent a retreat from the world into a fantasy where the Magical Girl no longer has to deal with their despair and can live as they please. It is a dream world, much like the Law of Cycles itself. Madoka didn't really improve the lot of Magical Girls, she just altered their outcome slightly. And while yes, you can argue that Witches killed people, Wraiths most likely do as well, and thus the problem of that supernatural force still exists. At the very least, it appears finite and doesn't look like it'll completely destroy the world this time.

I disagree. Madoka is critical of idealism taken to excess- Sayaka is destroyed by her unbending idealism. But I think it is more broadly critical of people who are misguided for any number of reasons, and idealism is only one aspect of that. In Madoka's universe, it is hard to understand what you really want and what others want of you and it's difficult to reconcile those things with a cruel world. Ultimately, though, I think wishes do too much good for the system to be regarded as pure evil. Mami would have died in a car crash without her wish, and even if her life after that was a hard and lonely one, I certainly don't think she'd be better off dead.

The Law of Cycles is massively superior to the world that came before it. Though it's not always their principle motivation, magical girls can live as protectors of humanity, and that gives them both pride and purpose. Even if we abandon all notion of an afterlife, dying in peace is far better than living on for some time as a man-eating monster that betrays everything they tried to achieve before that point. I'm honestly confused this is even a discussion. And Rebellion clearly shows that some kind of afterlife is possible and it's kind of neat, if you judge by Sayaka, who finally has her ducks in a row and is more comfortable with herself than she ever was in life. It's unlikely a magical girl could achieve that while being trapped in a self-gratifying illusion. You've already admitted that Madoka's wish removed two of the greatest threats known to the setting. And my best guess is that wraiths produce a better environment for magical girls than witches, because they change Kyubey's incentives. Previously, Kyubey directly profited from driving magical girls to despair and acted accordingly. But in the wraith universe, that's no longer possible- all he can do is get magical girls to kill wraiths, a far slower process. My guess is that he cooperated with magical girls, at least until he hatched the plot in Rebellion to return to the previous status quo. It's still not easy being a magical girl, true. And yet it's still far better than it was before, so I don't think Madoka as a text rejects wish fulfillment entirely. A wish well-made can make the world a better place, even if there will be sacrifices and it won't always stick.

Homura's world is a house of cards balanced on the wing of a biplane that's about to crash into a mountain. But with that said, taking a wide view of the setting it improves on Madoka's improved world. Kyubey can no longer threaten the advances made by Madoka's wish or anything else. It's clearly unsustainable, but I'm a sap and want to believe that on the other side of this, Madoka and Homura can muddle through to a better way.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
That's too many words about Madoka, so I'll post an image as well.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Be careful, Lord Justice will draw you in and drown you in words.

Picture to level out the thread:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Watched another episode.

Everyone in this sho is an rear end in a top hat.

except green hair and violin boy. I ant a spin off manga about them.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

Lestaki posted:

I disagree. Madoka is critical of idealism taken to excess- Sayaka is destroyed by her unbending idealism. But I think it is more broadly critical of people who are misguided for any number of reasons, and idealism is only one aspect of that. In Madoka's universe, it is hard to understand what you really want and what others want of you and it's difficult to reconcile those things with a cruel world. Ultimately, though, I think wishes do too much good for the system to be regarded as pure evil. Mami would have died in a car crash without her wish, and even if her life after that was a hard and lonely one, I certainly don't think she'd be better off dead.

Mami's wish to "live on", resulted in her being dead by the age of 15. She managed to extend her life by about 2 to 3 years, most of which was defined by crushing loneliness and constant battle, leading up to a horrible death in the series, and suicide in The Different Story. In other words...Her wish made no real difference, making a wish by definition shortens your lifespan massively. Even within Madoka's new world, I doubt any of the Magical Girls will live to see the age of 20.

Lestaki posted:

The Law of Cycles is massively superior to the world that came before it. Though it's not always their principle motivation, magical girls can live as protectors of humanity, and that gives them both pride and purpose. Even if we abandon all notion of an afterlife, dying in peace is far better than living on for some time as a man-eating monster that betrays everything they tried to achieve before that point. I'm honestly confused this is even a discussion. And Rebellion clearly shows that some kind of afterlife is possible and it's kind of neat, if you judge by Sayaka, who finally has her ducks in a row and is more comfortable with herself than she ever was in life. It's unlikely a magical girl could achieve that while being trapped in a self-gratifying illusion. You've already admitted that Madoka's wish removed two of the greatest threats known to the setting. And my best guess is that wraiths produce a better environment for magical girls than witches, because they change Kyubey's incentives. Previously, Kyubey directly profited from driving magical girls to despair and acted accordingly. But in the wraith universe, that's no longer possible- all he can do is get magical girls to kill wraiths, a far slower process. My guess is that he cooperated with magical girls, at least until he hatched the plot in Rebellion to return to the previous status quo. It's still not easy being a magical girl, true. And yet it's still far better than it was before, so I don't think Madoka as a text rejects wish fulfillment entirely. A wish well-made can make the world a better place, even if there will be sacrifices and it won't always stick.

I'm 100% certain that Sayaka committed suicide via martrydom in Madoka's new world, and only achieved peace after she died. Her wish played out much the same as the series, and resulted in the same exact thing, except with a different outcome (Magical Woman Sayaka instead of Oktavia). The point I'm making in regards to Witches versus the Law of Cycles is the act of their creation: death. in both cases, a Magical Girl needs to die to achieve either, so, therefore, how is the Law of Cycles any better in reality? Sayaka figures herself out, but only after dying at the age of 14. This isn't a good system, people shouldn't be dying that young. This is part of the problem inherent to Magical Girls, their lives are defined by constant battle and dramatically shortened lifespans no matter which universe you use, and this is empirically terrible for the girls involved in it. Junko is an important character for this reason, as she represents the idealistic opposite of the Magical Girl. She is competent and successful, and needed no wish to achieve that. She didn't need to sacrifice herself in constant battle to do that. She needed no idealistic afterlife to grow into a woman.

This is why Magical Girls are a toxic force in the world for those who participate in it, as it represents a failure to grow up. It is a girl giving into immediate desires with terrible consequences. In other words, this is why wish fulfillment is a fool's game, as it represents the destruction of the person engaging in it. You claim that a wish well-made is worth it, but is it if the cost of such a wish is a young girl's life? What wish is really worth that?

Edit:
From Fate/Zero: ""Saber. you said you would die for your ideals. In life, you must have been a pure and honest saint. A noble and inviolable figure, certainly. But who on Earth admires the martyr's thorny path? Who dreams of such a life?"

Lestaki posted:

Homura's world is a house of cards balanced on the wing of a biplane that's about to crash into a mountain. But with that said, taking a wide view of the setting it improves on Madoka's improved world. Kyubey can no longer threaten the advances made by Madoka's wish or anything else. It's clearly unsustainable, but I'm a sap and want to believe that on the other side of this, Madoka and Homura can muddle through to a better way.

I'd honestly rather see it go the other way, with Madoka's hand being forced into destroying Homura, or attempting to. I'm of two minds whether I want Homura to survive Post-Rebellion or not.

Edit:

Lord Justice fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Aug 6, 2015

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Justice posted:

Mami's wish to "live on", resulted in her being dead by the age of 15. She managed to extend her life by about 2 to 3 years, most of which was defined by crushing loneliness and constant battle, leading up to a horrible death in the series, and suicide in The Different Story. In other words...Her wish made no real difference, making a wish by definition shortens your lifespan massively.

Counterpoint: she lengthened her lifespan!

quote:

What wish is really worth that?

Mami's for one. Madoka's too. (maybe even Homura's). And all the wishes that saved plenty of lives that would have been otherwise lost to a witch that were done by a girl who didn't become a witch at the end (because they got gruesomely killed).

Lord Justice posted:

how is the Law of Cycles any better in reality?

Seriously? They don't die in despair and don't transform into evil bricolage. Is it a great system? nope, but it is better than the witch deal.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 6, 2015

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ultimately please remember that Lord justices views are through the lens of his waifu homura, and he is presenting a view which paints homura in the best light

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Homura did nothing wrong.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The homura was right theory exists when madoka is wrong.

all the characters are wrong

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Homura is oppressed by male desire for sexuality #notMYanime

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Kyubey was right, throw your lives down for stopping Entropy immediately.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Umeka has been a great doujin artist for a long time. I hope to see him in serialized someday.

Also, on lifespans: Roberta, the witch Homu guns down in the fourth timeline, lived well into adulthood.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Oh god what is going with Sayaka's hands?

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
The power to shoot text from your hands does terrible things to your fingers.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hands are hard

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Hands are hard

ZUN knows what this guy's talking about.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

andipossess posted:

ZUN knows what this guy's talking about.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Lord Justice posted:

This is why Magical Girls are a toxic force in the world for those who participate in it, as it represents a failure to grow up. It is a girl giving into immediate desires with terrible consequences. In other words, this is why wish fulfillment is a fool's game, as it represents the destruction of the person engaging in it. You claim that a wish well-made is worth it, but is it if the cost of such a wish is a young girl's life? What wish is really worth that?

This is where our previous divergences become critical. From my perspective, magical girls (or Homura running around murdering wraiths with demon powers) are strictly necessary for the creation of civilisation as it exists in Madoka and the continued survival of mankind without excessive supernatural predation. From that perspective, magical girls are necessary, even if a life of battle is a tragic thing. Even then, it's not as if magical girls are fated by definition to be miserable and die young. Depending on their ability, allies, and circumstances, they can make it by- Kyouko in the series definitely seemed to be doing fine until she made her suicidal attempt to save Sayaka. Saying they're fated to die before 20 is an assumption without a huge amount of basis in the text- ultimately we just don't know enough about the Law of Cycles world to judge how difficult it is to fight wraiths.

However much you weasel around it, I think Mami being alive is better than Mami being dead. And magical girls being able to die as a human rather than live to become a monster is a Good Thing.

Lord Justice posted:

I'd honestly rather see it go the other way, with Madoka's hand being forced into destroying Homura, or attempting to. I'm of two minds whether I want Homura to survive Post-Rebellion or not.

I think the symbolism at the ending of Rebellion cuts against this. Homura sits alone at a table for two, then dances under a half moon next to a single chair. The duality is incomplete because Madoka has been dehumanised, but you don't complete a duality by destroying the other half.

Namtab posted:

Ultimately please remember that Lord justices views are through the lens of his waifu homura, and he is presenting a view which paints homura in the best light

It's kind of silly because Homura is also my waifu but you can sympathise with Homura's transformation into a demon without saying Madoka's wish was pointless.

These are great.

Lestaki fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 6, 2015

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Hands are hard

That is what Rob Liefeld would say, except he doesn't do feet. Do you want to be lazier than Rob Liefeld?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't think that's possible.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Too many words. Have a video.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lestaki posted:

However much you weasel around it, I think Mami being alive is better than Mami being dead.

Yeah, this is fact, consider the alternatives.

a) Mami doesn't wish to become a meguca: she dies.

b) Mami becomes a meguca: she lives a few extra years, saves a ton of lives from witches, and develops some scandalous tits. Then she dies.

They also somehow help prevent the heat death of the universe or some bullshit like that but gently caress it, I'm pretty sure the rapture will occur before that.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
Mami's life has inherent worth. As evidence I present the following:

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Lestaki posted:

This is where our previous divergences become critical. From my perspective, magical girls (or Homura running around murdering wraiths with demon powers) are strictly necessary for the creation of civilisation as it exists in Madoka and the continued survival of mankind without excessive supernatural predation. From that perspective, magical girls are necessary, even if a life of battle is a tragic thing. Even then, it's not as if magical girls are fated by definition to be miserable and die young. Depending on their ability, allies, and circumstances, they can make it by- Kyouko in the series definitely seemed to be doing fine until she made her suicidal attempt to save Sayaka. Saying they're fated to die before 20 is an assumption without a huge amount of basis in the text- ultimately we just don't know enough about the Law of Cycles world to judge how difficult it is to fight wraiths.

While the sacrifice of those girls may have led to civilization, I don't really put much stock in that sort of utilitarian argument. I don't believe in the destruction of people as an inherent good even if there is good outcomes, and this is essentially why I push against this system the way I do. Speaking on the lifetimes of Magical Girls, there is some text (of rather dubious canonicity, but I feel it holds within context) in the Portable Extra Route that speaks to this. Mami has never even heard a rumour of a Magical Girl older than 20, which suggests that even if they exist (like Roberta), they are exceedingly rare, and most Magical Girls do not make it that long. While Kyouko was getting by, it's also clear she had abandoned any mandate that Magical Girls have to "bring hope", and was just much a predator as any Witch. In a way, Kyouko is even more damning on the system, because to survive as a Magical Girl requires the abandonment of any good the system creates.
In a way, I feel the Law of Cycles is actively detrimental to the continued existence of Magical Girls...It is a religion founded on death as an inherent good. Consider Mami at the end of Rebellion:

"Are they gone now? Sayaka, and your Bebe too?"
"No. They're finally taking her away with them."
"Is that Kaname Madoka?"
"Yes. The Law of the Cycle, which will one day lead us away too."

The Law of Cycles is not hope in life, but hope in death, a panacea to the problem of Witches, but but not the destruction of girls through the system of Magical Girls. Mami's reverence is disturbing, because she is exulting her own future martyrdom. While there are good elements to the Law of Cycles and it is a better alternative to Witches in totality, the fact that is founded on the continued destruction of these girls means it is inherently and massively flawed, making that the crux of my argument. At this point, however, it may be better to agree to disagree.

Lestaki posted:

I think the symbolism at the ending of Rebellion cuts against this. Homura sits alone at a table for two, then dances under a half moon next to a single chair. The duality is incomplete because Madoka has been dehumanised, but you don't complete a duality by destroying the other half.

Rebellion's imagery and musical lyrics do actually suggest that Madoka will destroy Homura, or at least her Dark Orb. The song that plays in that scene is an instrumental of Made dame yo, the song that plays when they're fighting the Nightmare in the prelude. It goes as such:

I dream of the morning
It's not time yet, it's not time yet
What colour will the morning be?
The night is still only half-eaten.
Where is the child who slumbers?
So good morning to you, Nightmare!
And the bad dreams will never come again.

"I dream of the morning"

This represents the concept of the morning and its prelude, the dream. Rebellion is Homura's dream (Wer träumt, wer hat geträumt "Who is dreaming, who has dreamt?"), and Post-Rebellion is Madoka's. Sitting in that chair, Homura dreams of Madoka's morning, but what morning will it be?

"It's not time yet, it's not time yet
What colour will the morning be?"

The colour referenced is the colours presented by Kyouko and Sayaka (the lyric "what colour will the morning be?" plays as Kyouko and Sayaka enter the scene):

Red and blue, the colours of the morning. These colours represent concepts within Rebellion, as detailed in this scene:

Red, framing Homura, who represents the concept of Desire. Rebellion is uniquely focused on Homura and her desire for Madoka, after all, and thus the colour framing her relates to that concept. Blue, framing Sayaka, who represents the concept of Order. Here, she is Magical Woman Sayaka, representing the Law of Cycles on Ultimate Madoka's behalf. Finally, green, the colour of the Dream. The Dream represents the bridge between Order and Desire, a place where they can coexist. It is no accident that Sayaka steps into the green light, the Dream, and says this:
"Tell me, is this so bad? We don't have to fight anyone. We can all live and work together. Is the heart that wished for this so sinful that it needs to be destroyed?"
Sayaka is describing the state of the Dream, which correlates to the state of both the start of Rebellion and Post-Rebellion.

Next, we have the scene as Madoka saves Homura:

Here we see the colour motif repeated again in the background, with a new colour, yellow. It pushes against the green, with the red mixed into it. It represents the concept of the Morning in and of itself, displacing the Dream. Since Homura's morning is defined by her Desire, it is mixed in with the red, and finally:

The Red Morning itself, as the background frames Homura with red and yellow as she wakes up and sees her morning.

"It's not time yet, it's not time yet
The night is still only half-eaten"

The night is represented by Homura's Soul Gem, and as she sees her morning, she breaks it in her mouth:

In other words "eating the night". But the night is only half-eaten, the Dream continues:

"Where is the child who slumbers?"

Where is Madoka, she who sleeps within this new Dream? Homura sits in that chair and dreams of the morning Madoka will see. She hopes for red, Desire, that Madoka will join her. But the opposite is more likely, the Blue Morning, that of Order, and the opposite of Homura's own morning. And to see this morning, Madoka must displace the Dream and eat the night, which is now represented by Homura's Dark Orb. The conclusion then, to see the Blue Morning, is the destruction of Homura, as her soul encompasses the universe and is defined by that Dark Orb. The duality imagery is one of brokenness, the cliff face represents the void where Madoka used to be, sitting on that chair with Homura in that field. Within Homura's new world, she no longer does, and no longer will.

"Kaname Madoka. Do you treasure this world? Do you consider stability and order more important than desire?"
"I do treasure it. I guess I do think it's kind of bad to break rules because you feel like it."
"I see. Then I suppose one day you too will become my enemy."

Lord Justice fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 6, 2015

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Namtab posted:

See I thought his Waifu was Gen Urobuchi.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Justice posted:

Here we see the colour motif repeated again in the background, with a new colour, yellow. It pushes against the green, with the red mixed into it. It represents the concept of the Morning in and of itself, displacing the Dream. Since Homura's morning is defined by her Desire, it is mixed in with the red, and finally: The Red Morning itself, as the background frames Homura with red and yellow as she wakes up and sees her morning.

Never stop posting you crazy goon.

BTW, those were a shitload of words to avoid giving a simple answer. Let me try again.

Since Mami would have died if she didn't become a magical girl, and since she did save people and eliminate some witches without becoming one, then her wish had worth and had a positive outcome, right? A yes/no answer is all I want but you can extend it to a maybe if you wish.

Edit: I just realized that Homura (well, her soul, her body is however old she wishes it to be) is also older than 20. So yeah, add her to the elder ladies list.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 6, 2015

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

trucutru posted:

Since Mami would have died if she didn't become a magical girl, and since she did save people and eliminate some witches without becoming one, then her wish had worth and had a positive outcome, right? A yes/no answer is all I want but you can extend it to a maybe if you wish.

Her wish extended her life and created some good in the world, yes, but that isn't my argument. Whether she dies to a Witch, or via sucide, or in a car crash, she is still dead. This system cannot allow Mami to grow up by definition, she is chained to a life of endless battle that will destroy her sooner rather than later. The minute she made that wish is the minute she destroyed herself.

trucutru posted:

Edit: I just realized that Homura (well, her soul, her body is however old she wishes it to be) is also older than 20. So yeah, add her also to the elder ladies list.
Homura doesn't count because she never grew up either, repeating the same month over and over isn't growing up normally, all it did was give her around 24 years of memories but still leaving her as a 14 year old.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Justice posted:

Her wish extended her life and created some good in the world, yes, but that isn't my argument. Whether she dies to a Witch, or via sucide, or in a car crash, she is still dead. This system cannot allow Mami to grow up by definition, she is chained to a life of endless battle that will destroy her sooner rather than later. The minute she made that wish is the minute she destroyed herself.

Nah, you're also wrong about that.

Everybody dies! Her wish gave her extra time. The minute she made that wish is the minute she avoided destroying herself (for a while).

Lord Justice posted:

Homura doesn't count because she never grew up either, repeating the same month over and over isn't growing up normally, all it did was give her around 24 years of memories but still leaving her as a 14 year old.

Ok, so it doesn't count because you say so. Got it.

She has 24 years of memories and experience, that's a good definition of being 24 years old.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 6, 2015

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lord Justice posted:

While the sacrifice of those girls may have led to civilization, I don't really put much stock in that sort of utilitarian argument. I don't believe in the destruction of people as an inherent good even if there is good outcomes, and this is essentially why I push against this system the way I do. Speaking on the lifetimes of Magical Girls, there is some text (of rather dubious canonicity, but I feel it holds within context) in the Portable Extra Route that speaks to this. Mami has never even heard a rumour of a Magical Girl older than 20, which suggests that even if they exist (like Roberta), they are exceedingly rare, and most Magical Girls do not make it that long. While Kyouko was getting by, it's also clear she had abandoned any mandate that Magical Girls have to "bring hope", and was just much a predator as any Witch. In a way, Kyouko is even more damning on the system, because to survive as a Magical Girl requires the abandonment of any good the system creates.
While the magical girl system may have led to civilisation, I don't believe that makes it right, I make big internet posts because people dying for the greater good is bad. There's a few things that suggest that most magical girls die before twenty *describes in detail*. Kyouko is bad for the system, because she steals food to live.

quote:

In a way, I feel the Law of Cycles is actively detrimental to the continued existance of Magical Girls...It is a religion founded on death as an inherent good. Consider Mami at the end of Rebellion:

"Are they gone now? Sayaka, and your Bebe too?"
"No. They're finally taking her away with them."
"Is that Kaname Madoka?"
"Yes. The Law of the Cycle, which will one day lead us away too."
I'm incapable of posting youtube clips

quote:

The Law of Cycles is not hope in life, but hope in death, a panacea to the problem of Witches, but but not the destruction of girls through the system of Magical Girls. Mami's reverence is disturbing, because she is exulting her own future martyrdom. While there are good elements to the Law of Cycles and it is a better alternative to Witches in totality, the fact that is founded on the continued destruction of these girls means it is inherently and massively flawed, making that the crux of my argument. At this point, however, it may be better to agree to disagree.
The law of cycles is less about a good life and more about a good death. Mami is a bit too hype about it because she's ultimately hype to die doing good. The law of cycles is bad because magical girls still die though, and I would prefer that magical girls did not exist (even if it means civilisation did not exist).

quote:

Rebellion's imagery and musical lyrics do actually suggest that Madoka will destroy Homura, or at least her Dark Orb. The song that plays in that scene is an instrumental of Made dame yo, the song that plays when they're fighting the Nightmare in the prelude. It goes as such:

I dream of the morning
What colour will the morning be?
The night is still only half-eaten.
Where is the child who slumbers?
So good morning to you, Nightmare!
And the bad dreams will never come again.

"I dream of the morning"
I still cannot post a youtube clip, of the song

the rest of the quote is him sperging about red and blue in too many words and more pictures which I'm sure he used his 20th rewatch to find

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lord justice is very good at ignoring the canon and quotes which do not support him

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lord Justice posted:

One day you will be dead. hosed up but true

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

But I agree mami should have died painfully in a car crash, rather than relatively quickly doing good and with her friends

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Namtab posted:

One day you will be dead. hosed up but true

I want to hear your comments about his color theory and how red and blue represent the colors of the morning.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

trucutru posted:

I want to hear your comments about his color theory and how red and blue represent the colors of the morning.

Uh, sunrises are pretty neat I guess.

I mean,

The BLUE ORDER of the night is swept away by the sun's RED DESIRE. GREEN is also there, it means dreams

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

However madoka is pink

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Nah, you can clearly see the colors of the rising sun during the morning in the JP flag

trucutru fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The RED DESIRE then turns YELLOW, which means the MORNING, because I have pulled a METAPHOR out of my rear end and i am going to RUN WITH IT

• Locked thread