Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof
confirming staff/shield to be hilariously strong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
A staff... AND a shield? Ugh, my immersion.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
So here's something neat I just figured out and want to share, for a lot of quests you can simply by what the NPCs want off of the vendors under the used section, the Mushroom Jack typically has animal parts and Marina has everything else. I've completed a bunch of quests including picking up the staff skill at a really early level because of this.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Kickstarter was 100% funded. Revealed some new races but they're coming out with the stretch goals soon.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Ran around a cave, picked mushrooms then died to a skeleton mage and got a big head.

Huh.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Wait until it gets weird.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Is there still the curse that makes your guy talk poo poo to team mates?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Really disappointed in the stretch goals. I thought they'd be features rather than races and cosmetic stuff.

I guess a race is a feature, but I was expecting a focus on the technology, something like "for $30,000, we'll implement PBR for all our character assets drastically improving the graphical fidelity of our game" since that's the primary concern from what I've seen.

A lack of content isn't the primary concern of people wanting to back this game.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Aug 1, 2015

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

hakimashou posted:

Is there still the curse that makes your guy talk poo poo to team mates?

That's the best loving curse, because wtsaename can be an ornery bastard as it is, so we could never tell if it was him or the curse talking.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Really disappointed in the stretch goals. I thought they'd be features rather than races and cosmetic stuff.

I guess a race is a feature, but I was expecting a focus on the technology, something like "for $30,000, we'll implement PBR for all our character assets drastically improving the graphical fidelity of our game" since that's the primary concern from what I've seen.

A lack of content isn't the primary concern of people wanting to back this game.

um the kickstarter literally said at the outset that the money will be used mostly to buy/commission art assets...?

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 4, 2015

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Lutha Mahtin posted:

um the kickstarter literally said at the outset that the money will be used mostly to buy/commission art assets...?

I know, I'm just saying it'd be nice to get a taste of what they'll be doing with it. Highlight PBR or show off some new tech they're going to use, because that's what gets funding and attention.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I know, I'm just saying it'd be nice to get a taste of what they'll be doing with it. Highlight PBR or show off some new tech they're going to use, because that's what gets funding and attention.

They already have a test server where he puts his most recent build up prior to "release" to the alpha server.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Ok, so after a few days of haunting the vendors for the quest materials, I've finally got the staff skill and a little training under my belt (I also have a belt too).

What are good things to work on next? I feel like I need better gear, but I'm not entirely sure where I should going for that. I've mostly just been doing all the favors I can for any NPCs I run across, figuring at some point I'll probably need everyone to like me.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
For around 2-3k you can buy a kicking set of zero buffs white armor from the armor vendor in Hogan's Keep in Eltibule, it gives you so much armor it basically trivializes a good chunk of content in Serbule and Eltibule. Things that deal poison will still wreck your face though.

The price is 2-3k because sometimes you can find white elven or orc gear on various vendors and that'll give you even more armor.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
There are also some necklaces that give 5 points of damage mitigation at the cost of 40 hp. That pretty much makes you immune to all poison in a lot of starting damage

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Inimicul posted:

There are also some necklaces that give 5 points of damage mitigation at the cost of 40 hp. That pretty much makes you immune to all poison in a lot of starting damage

can confirm these necks are OP as gently caress.

If youre struggling with poison and you dont have one of these theres also those poison mitigation potions.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009
This game is oddly compelling.

Is psychology any good at any point in the game? I just started and didn't even finish the quest to get it, I'm just curious as I'm looking though the spell names on the wiki.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

It's good at crowd control, from what I gather.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

quote:

We have officially passed our first stretch goal of $25,000! Thanks everyone for your continued support. Because of your support, we have officially added two additional stretch goals; the first is a player instrument expansion and the second is a new player skill: the Bard!

As a reminder, we have added two new reward levels: the Contributor +1 and the Lord Commander. Make sure you check them out! Lastly, we ask that you please continue to spread the word about Project Gorgon and our campaign as all those social media posts have really made a difference. If you are a part of a community that could be interested in Project Gorgon, a simple post could make a big difference.

$35,000 Player Instrument Expansion

We have 6 instruments planned, each with six short music loops that can be combined in any order. But if we hit this stretch goal, we'll add a second "song" that's completely different from the first, consisting of six new music loops for every instrument. We'll also add a seventh unique instrument, and we will work on allowing animal forms to participate in the fun!

$40,000 New Player Skill: the Bard!

The Bard is part psychologist, part performer, and all charisma. Bards can inspire allies to momentary bursts of outrageous heroism, use their improvisational skills to change the tide of the battle, and use song to soothe wounded souls. It works great with other skills: combine the Bard skill with the already-existing Mentalism skill to create a classic EQ1-style "buffing bard", or combine with Psychology to create an exceptional crowd-controller.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

REDjackeT posted:

This game is oddly compelling.

Is psychology any good at any point in the game? I just started and didn't even finish the quest to get it, I'm just curious as I'm looking though the spell names on the wiki.

this has been covered multiple times in the past few pages of the thread :pseudo:

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So what about psychology?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

That Guy Bob posted:

For around 2-3k you can buy a kicking set of zero buffs white armor from the armor vendor in Hogan's Keep in Eltibule, it gives you so much armor it basically trivializes a good chunk of content in Serbule and Eltibule. Things that deal poison will still wreck your face though.

The price is 2-3k because sometimes you can find white elven or orc gear on various vendors and that'll give you even more armor.

I bought the best armor I could find in Hogan's Keep and Serbule, so I ended up with around 298 armor and 160 health. I couldn't find the damage mitigation necklace, but I did find a shield with +2 universal damage reduction which helps a little bit. Combined with some of the staff skills (currently at level 16 I think), I feel like a tiny god when I fight anything that mostly does physical damage.

Current goal is trying to find/buy magic shields so I can get Tyler to teach me how to use the drat things.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Rush battle chemistry. Have fast.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this has been covered multiple times in the past few pages of the thread :pseudo:

Eh, must have glossed over it. I only noticed a little bit about the mez spell. I'll have to go back and read it again.

I like that dying is a skill that actually can give you stat boots and that chickens are apparently dinosaurs.

e;

Nemo2342 posted:

It really is worth grinding dying just to get the free teleport back to Serbule.

This game.

REDjackeT fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 5, 2015

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

REDjackeT posted:

Eh, must have glossed over it. I only noticed a little bit about the mez spell.

I like that dying is a skill that actually can give you stat boots and that chickens are apparently dinosaurs.

It really is worth grinding dying just to get the free teleport back to Serbule.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Chickens are dinosaurs. And elves have two dicks.

The game spits the real.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Nemo2342 posted:

Current goal is trying to find/buy magic shields so I can get Tyler to teach me how to use the drat things.

Or... Tyler also likes armor patch kits. Those can be bought in town and are stackable.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Inimicul posted:

Or... Tyler also likes armor patch kits. Those can be bought in town and are stackable.

I thought he had a better favor/gold ratio for shields instead of the kits, but then again it wouldn't be the first time the wiki wasn't entirely up to date. I'll go give them a try tonight.

Nemo2342 fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 6, 2015

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Nemo2342 posted:

I thought he had a better favor/gold ratio for shields instead of the kits, but then again it wouldn't be the first time the wiki wasn't entirely up to date. I'll go give them a try tonight.

It's probably true, and there's some good shields around on vendors in consignment and used. But there's something to be said for being able to just straightup trade money for favor.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/projectgorgon/project-gorgon-pc-mmo/posts/1315701

Cow armor

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

30.5 Days posted:

It's probably true, and there's some good shields around on vendors in consignment and used. But there's something to be said for being able to just straightup trade money for favor.

Trip report: I do think shields give more favor, but it seems to be some function of how much the shield costs and it's rarity (the wiki just says rarity, but it's wrong).

However the nice thing about the armor kits was that I could work out exactly how many I needed, so I didn't have to sit there and go "Ok, I got 8 shields, maybe this time it will be enough".

So now I alternate between whacking people over the head with my staff, or whacking them over the head with my shield. Seems to work pretty well, though I do have trouble if I get mobbed by too much stuff at once (looking at you, crypt) or if things do too much non-physical damage.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

yeah, i never tried to systematically figure out how much favor was given by different items, but it certainly seemed like rarity and value were both correlated with the favor amount. i would be curious to learn if the mods & stat rolls had any effect, too

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Arghhh....I'm caving, and against better judgment, checking out this game *downloading*

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

2DCAT posted:

Arghhh....I'm caving, and against better judgment, checking out this game *downloading*

I'm still resisting..

Give us an update on how much you hate or like it. You might collapse the rest of us holding out.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
After many months i patched it and it looks like i still have my account and my stuff.

my name on there is Pisschrist

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I'm still resisting..

Give us an update on how much you hate or like it. You might collapse the rest of us holding out.

It's interesting, but it definitely feels like it was made by only a couple of folks. There's a lot of nostalgia there, but the game is really, really rough. I'd compare it in terms of playable and nostalgia to The Repopulation. It brings back memories of games past; however, it really needs a lot of work.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I've been out of town so I couldn't post about this when it hit my email, but:

"$35,000 Player Instrument Expansion

We have 6 instruments planned, each with six short music loops that can be combined in any order. But if we hit this stretch goal, we'll add a second "song" that's completely different from the first, consisting of six new music loops for every instrument. We'll also add a seventh unique instrument, and we will work on allowing animal forms to participate in the fun!"

The kickstarter is currently at 33.5k. Please oh please let my spider play drums! :toot:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

mushroom_spore posted:

The kickstarter is currently at 33.5k. Please oh please let my spider play drums! :toot:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

2DCAT posted:

It's interesting, but it definitely feels like it was made by only a couple of folks. There's a lot of nostalgia there, but the game is really, really rough. I'd compare it in terms of playable and nostalgia to The Repopulation. It brings back memories of games past; however, it really needs a lot of work.

After playing off and on for about 2 weeks now, my biggest gripe is the way Favor and Training interact. It doesn't bother me if some of the higher-skill stuff is locked behind favor, but man does it feel frustrating if you can't get to some of the lower stuff because of it.

For example, the wiki recommends that new players try making bacon to raise favor with Joeh, the weapon vendor. There's a catch though. What it doesn't mention is that in order to get the bacon recipe you have to both level up cooking AND grind favor with Fainor, the inn keeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Nemo2342 posted:

For example, the wiki recommends that new players try making bacon to raise favor with Joeh, the weapon vendor. There's a catch though. What it doesn't mention is that in order to get the bacon recipe you have to both level up cooking AND grind favor with Fainor, the inn keeper.

Progress in this game is less of a straight line and more like, I dunno, a bunch of pyramids that have interconnected foundations? I was really frustrated for a while when I received the cheese quest as a newbie and realized that there were like six other things I had to do just to unlock the skills. So I abandoned the quest and figured I'd get back to it later. I'm hopeful that they will continue to make the tangle of interrelated goals easier to understand and progress through, because when it works, it's really a lot of fun.