Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Salt Fish posted:

How to be good at counterstrike:

1) buy a 1440p monitor
2) set your resolution to 800x600 stretched

but you see i confirmation bias

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roxjq2QDpAI

Ace from tonight. This sort of stuff might be my favorite way to play once I'm in a good grove. Play aggressive, push smokes, take weird routes, be mobile. Anything to mix up the defaults.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
A few tips for anyone using Windows 10:

1) Disable the Xbox DVR thingy or it forces vsync on
2) if using Nvidia, you need to click "Override the scaling mode set by games and programs" to get stretched resolutions above 1024x768 working

stump collector
May 28, 2007
What is the point of using a 4:3 resolution when almost everyone has a widescreen monitor these days?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

exethan posted:

What is the point of using a 4:3 resolution when almost everyone has a widescreen monitor these days?
Decade of prior 4:3 habit. If you haven't that and you still play 4:3, stretched or otherwise, on a widescreen monitor, then I don't even.

Edit: Map chat - I'm surprised to see that Mirage trends worse on 'fun factor' than Cobblestone, Overpass, and Inferno. On the other hand, I have a handful of games across Overpass and reworked Cobblestone so it actually may be like that.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 6, 2015

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
Playing low res stretched makes targets wider and easier to hit

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

exethan posted:

Everyone has their own reasons for sure, but for me, the smaller FOV reduces clutter on the screen, so it's easier to see what's happening.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
1080p for life

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

CLG has actually a decent change of taking this map now.

Edit: Well, until they got ecoed after the pistol :suicide:

Smol fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Aug 6, 2015

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
I play 4:3 stretched since I had to go reduce the resolution to 800:600 to get adequate framerate on my laptop. I play stretched because it looked ridiculous with black bars on an already small monitor and now I kinda like it.
I'm building a new PC this month though and will probably go back to 16:9 when I have a proper setup.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

4:3 makes it look more like 1.6 yes? it makes ppl think that corridors seem more spacious and easier to maneuver in

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Watching CLG is really fun right now. JDM with that knife kill was great

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Even though I'm at GN4, I just played a game where everything seemed to come together and I played what felt like 'well' for me. I landed shots, I popped out from cover well, etc. Ended topfragging with 28 in a 16-6 game on mirage against a mix of GN4s and MG1s. Hopefully I'll rank out of True Silver soon enough!

Feels like what I remember playing 1.6 to be all those years ago :shobon:

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Nam Taf posted:

Even though I'm at GN4, I just played a game where everything seemed to come together and I played what felt like 'well' for me. I landed shots, I popped out from cover well, etc. Ended topfragging with 28 in a 16-6 game on mirage against a mix of GN4s and MG1s. Hopefully I'll rank out of True Silver soon enough!

Feels like what I remember playing 1.6 to be all those years ago :shobon:

Good work. Be prepared to hit reality head on when you realise that 'well' is actually super poo poo, you're just a tiny bit less poo poo at MG1 than at GN4

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Renegades? Renegades!

Ugh noob plays

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

kalstrams posted:

Decade of prior 4:3 habit. If you haven't that and you still play 4:3, stretched or otherwise, on a widescreen monitor, then I don't even.

Edit: Map chat - I'm surprised to see that Mirage trends worse on 'fun factor' than Cobblestone, Overpass, and Inferno. On the other hand, I have a handful of games across Overpass and reworked Cobblestone so it actually may be like that.

I did play Source at 4:3 for a couple of years but then there were years where I didn't play CS at all. I tried 4:3 stretched on a whim one day when I started getting serious about CS:GO and it just feels better to me. Targets are larger, and for some reason the hosed up x:y scaling is what I've gotten used to.

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

mcvey posted:

Renegades? Renegades!

Ugh noob plays

it's happennnnninnnnnggggggggg

failing the knife in the smoke could cost SK this map

e: that game owned

real dilemma fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 6, 2015

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

prom candy posted:

I did play Source at 4:3 for a couple of years but then there were years where I didn't play CS at all. I tried 4:3 stretched on a whim one day when I started getting serious about CS:GO and it just feels better to me. Targets are larger, and for some reason the hosed up x:y scaling is what I've gotten used to.
Well yeah, prior habit is prior habit, years are ballpark since people differ. I played a few years of casual 1.6 when I had 4:3, but nothing serious until it was already a few years since I got a 16:9 monitor and got uset to the aspect ratio itself. I find it tempting to try 4:3 stretched due to target size thing, since my current workstation is suboptimal so I sit like a yard away from a 15" 1080p screen, which complicates seing things a bit due to farsightness and Volvo's recluctance with regards to bunch of postprocessing, but since the problem is simply eliminated once I get screen other than a that of a mediocre laptop, I just stick through it until I can buy some 22" inch screen or something, so I don't end up being the guy who doesn't play and just constantly adjusts settings.

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!
what in the actual gently caress

clone niko, disband sk

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
-anyone
+niko

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!
Mouz are already pretty good :stare:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

mcvey posted:

-anyone
+niko

any team

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
This is professional CS:GO https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/3fzay7/rahim_here_looks_like_i_cant_stay_in_silence/

Stupid drama and gendered slurs. So professional.

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN

Ranter posted:

This is professional CS:GO https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/3fzay7/rahim_here_looks_like_i_cant_stay_in_silence/

Every eSport has stupid drama like this

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I'm using 1440x1080 and it's cool

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Google Butt posted:

I'm using 1440x1080 and it's cool

how?

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

People that play 4:3 on a widescreen monitor are also much more likely to use their favorite pros config (you can find their posts on reddit of them asking for it) because they think it will make them a better player when instead you look like an idiot baby that should not be using computers

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

it's like hd 1280x960 stretched

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Custom nvidia resolution. There's a Reddit post about it.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

mstrkrft posted:

Every eSport has stupid drama like this

esports are poo poo

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Awesome Welles posted:

esports are poo poo

Have you tried adderall?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

bpower posted:

Have you tried adderall?

can you send me some

Burgo
Jun 1, 2008

Awesome Welles posted:

can you send me some

You do sound like you are on adderall to be fair.

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

Hey guys, we're thinking about doing another tournament starting in September. We've kind of begun the discussion over in the sub.io thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635620

Instead of flooding this thread about tournament talk, if you're interested or have anything to add for the time being lets congregate there. I'll start up a thread of my own once I get a read on interest.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Niko are you kidding me...

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Ranter posted:

Since when was e-sports professional? Every game has drama. As for gendered insults, have you been to the UK? I'm generally surprised Richard Lewis doesn't let it slip out more often being a northerner.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 6, 2015

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Burgo posted:

You do sound like you are on adderall to be fair.

I just want to be good at video games :qq:

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

saying "oval office" in the uk is nowhere near as severe as it is in like america or w/e, bitch.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

Since when was e-sports professional? Every game has drama. As for gendered insults, have you been to the UK? I'm generally surprised Richard Lewis doesn't let it slip out more often being a northerner.

Yeah oval office isn't a gendered insult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Mega Comrade posted:

Playing a video game as your primary source of income means it's professional. The CS:GO leagues/casters should be looking to the more mature organizations e.g. Riot's LCS casting team as an example. You don't see them writing 'oval office' in public or using foul language constantly during LCS streams.

I'm Australian. Unless you've lived and worked in the UK/Australia, you don't understand the nuance of it. Low class and blue collar worker men may use it among themselves but it's still highly offensive in our cultures. The idea that 'all Australians/Brits call each other oval office' is a stereotype. If these boys want to be taken seriously then they need to quit using awful unprofessional language.

Antares posted:

Yeah oval office isn't a gendered insult

Yes it is.

• Locked thread