Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE
So I decided to install ACT just for fun. All sorts of fun numbers to look at!

As a WHM, whatabouts should my practical DPS be, assuming that I'm also having to stop and heal people often?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

kafziel posted:

Yes, exactly once every 3 seconds. If a thing says it lasts 21 seconds, that means 7 ticks. Skill Speed/Spell Speed boosts the damage/heal per tick, doesn't alter their tick rate at all.

exactly every 3 seconds on unique timers PER MOB. This part is kinda important. It's not a global ticking timer for all opponents.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

kafziel posted:

They need to just embrace it. Give us a Spellblade dps class that splits into a Red Mage dps job, a Rune Fencer tank job, and a Sage healing job. It could work!

As much as I kind of wish they'd embrace this kind of thinking, Yoshi-P has not minced words on how displeased he is with the current state of affairs with job/class distinctions and is pretty sore on the idea of having more jobs where you can level them all at once. Part of it is that creating a new job is a ridiculous amount of work, as they have to create new animations, balance it correctly, and retroactively add every single weapon with accompanying 3D model to every single weapon loot table in the game as well as multiple unique gear sets, and continue doing so for all content created henceforth. The least you can do is level them :v: Seriously I'll be shocked if they even keep up with 3 new jobs per expansion going forward.

If they do decide to keep the current class/job system maybe years and multiple expansions from now when server hardware is massively more powerful and cheaper they might maybe throw together some multi-jobs that largely borrow each others' animations and don't retcon weapons all the way from 2.0 content and otherwise cut corners a bit as a gambit to get players to return, but that's about the only way I can see them ever doing that again.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

If they do decide to do more multi-job classes they need to just get rid of stat point allocation entirely. Well, they should do that anyway but it's even more of a reason for them to do it.

ilifinicus posted:

exactly every 3 seconds on unique timers PER MOB. This part is kinda important. It's not a global ticking timer for all opponents.

Really? I thought dots all procced at the same time.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

kafziel posted:

Yes, exactly once every 3 seconds. If a thing says it lasts 21 seconds, that means 7 ticks. Skill Speed/Spell Speed boosts the damage/heal per tick, doesn't alter their tick rate at all.

Thanks. Even more motivated to get WHM to 60 to see their HOTs vs AST.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I believe DoTs tick every eorzean minute, regardless of when they're applied. Sometimes they'll extend by a second in order to actually tick the correct number of times.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Each "actor" in the game has its internal clock that ticks separately. You won't experience the separate clocks very often in dungeons, except in situations where mobs spawn during the fight - Alexander 1-4 for instance. The moment something exists in the world, i.e. the moment it spawns, that clock starts. In dungeons, all mobs spawn at the exact same time as the dungeon starts existing, except for those that spawn based on events in the dungeon et cetera. This is why it's the most efficient to apply a DoT to a target before it has existed for 3 seconds, since you can then take benefit from the first early tick of a DoT, allowing for easier clipping once you want to refresh them. The ones best at this is of course arcanists, as they can Bane the moment something shows up next to whatever they have DoTs on already. It's not worth thinking about otherwise since you have no way of knowing, but you can maximize your DPS potential when you know exactly when something started existing since it just spawned.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
So if I play SMN and don't master precog DOT application are a bunch of goons going to scream at me?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Only if you do/don't cross-class fracture

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

So if I play SMN and don't master precog DOT application are a bunch of goons going to scream at me?

Pretty sure that lag and poor parser support for dots means that nobody could tell.

Just recast bio I at 2s remaining and bio ii and miasma at 4s remaining.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ignimbrite posted:

Only if you do/don't cross-class fracture

Imagine being able to Bane Fracture.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
pug party wiped to hard enrage in A1 so i fired up ACT out of curiosity

heres the second attempt :wtc:

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

That's an excellent T13 parse. The best I've seen!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Subjunctive posted:

Hey there! I was in PBC as Franq Beynz a while back, and I'm trying to transfer my character to another server. It says that I have items with the Resident Caretaker, but when I talk to the one in Goblet Ward 1 he doesn't seem to have anything for me to reclaim. Does anyone know how I might clear that out?

E: I just had to log in to reset that flag I guess, because all my poo poo is gone. Sorted.

Next question: I have too much gil to transfer, what are good things to buy and resell on the other side? I don't know the economy these days.

Nobody can tell you what's best, only you can do that by logging into your new server on a level 1 and doing some market research. That said, if you don't care about making a profit, and just care about bringing over as much of your gil as possible, there's arbitrage, allagan coins, or clear demimateria.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Finished the Sylphs dailies, they weren't that bad and kinda fun.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

Imagine being able to Bane Fracture.

Does contagion work on cross class dots? I was surprised to see that it works on miasma ii.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

hobbesmaster posted:

Does contagion work on cross class dots? I was surprised to see that it works on miasma ii.

I think the tooltip specifically says what it spreads? I don't actually recall.

Exponential Decay
Sep 10, 2009

i bound fire to q

hobbesmaster posted:

It doesn't work on miasma 2, that one is a pbaoe.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Walking One posted:

Finished the Sylphs dailies, they weren't that bad and kinda fun.

A prime example of Stockholm syndrome

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Sentient Data posted:

A prime example of Stockholm syndrome

Donno why they get so much hate, you only have to do that stealth quest the first 10 days and its gone.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I think the tooltip specifically says what it spreads? I don't actually recall.

Bane spreads bio, bio ii and miasma.

Contagion (Garuda) and shining emerald (carbuncle) have the description "Extends duration of damage over time effects already cast by master by 15s."

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Yes, it works on any and all DOTs that you yourself place on the target. That includes poisoning potions, and that was actually a valid strategy for squeezing out a little extra dps before Heavensward. Unfortunately (fortunately), there are no new poisoning potions in HW, and the pre-HW ones only work on targets up to level 50. Your only other option is Aero, and you'd have to drop your job crystal for that. It worked on Thunder in 2.0, but they removed the ability to cross-class that pretty quickly.

So it's effectively just Bio, Bio II, Miasma, and Miasma II.

Exponential Decay posted:

It doesn't work on miasma 2, that one is a pbaoe.

Wrong.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 6, 2015

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

How is marauder in pvp? And I should wait until 50 to buy the expansion right?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Every class is viable in both PvP and PvE. Warrior's near the top of the heap in PvE, and a strong PvP class as well, but just about everything except PvE Astrologian and sort of Paladin is 100% viable for everything, and those two are viable for everything except bleeding edge.

Niton fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Aug 6, 2015

Exponential Decay
Sep 10, 2009

i bound fire to q
nvm, i got bad reading comprehension

Exponential Decay fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Aug 6, 2015

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

That sure is a video depicting Contagion, the skill he was asking about.

...oh wait.

vvv We coo' :hfive: vvv

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Aug 6, 2015

Exponential Decay
Sep 10, 2009

i bound fire to q

fount of knowledge posted:

That sure is a video depicting Contagion, the skill he was asking about.

...oh wait.

oh, oops, my bad

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit.

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009
This test successfully concludes that Bane is, in fact, not Contagion. Well done.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

To be fair the name is counter-intuitive. You'd think a skill called Contagion would be the one that spreads disease effects to other targets, right?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Bob NewSCART posted:

How is marauder in pvp? And I should wait until 50 to buy the expansion right?

Marauder used to be the best PVP class until they nerfed not having a jobstone, now Warrior is one of the better PVP jobs

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
What's the best non-excalibur server because I just want to play this stupid anime and the game won't let me

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of DoTs, I really hate that tiny delay between your cast/animation finishing and the DoT effect being applied, since if you're too quick with bane you'll cast it before the DoT effect is applied. I've spread 2 dots instead of 3 so many times in my rush to get out of cleric stance to make sure the tank doesn't die.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
buy a transfer.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

ArtIsResistance posted:

What's the best non-excalibur server because I just want to play this stupid anime and the game won't let me

Cactuar is a popular alternative, but I am pretty sure that's locked right now too

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Minfilla windup minion for sale on mog station. How fast will we be kicked out of the FC for having one of those?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

El Cid posted:

Speaking of DoTs, I really hate that tiny delay between your cast/animation finishing and the DoT effect being applied, since if you're too quick with bane you'll cast it before the DoT effect is applied. I've spread 2 dots instead of 3 so many times in my rush to get out of cleric stance to make sure the tank doesn't die.

You should be able to bane out of cleric stance - dots in this game are snapshotted to the time they were applied.

Of course this assumes you remember after bashing lustrate.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
So does my relic weapon have anything to do with the heavensward one they'll be releasing in 3.1, or am I wasting my time doing this.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

RC Cola posted:

So does my relic weapon have anything to do with the heavensward one they'll be releasing in 3.1, or am I wasting my time doing this.

A fully complete relic weapon will reportedly give you a leg up on the new one, but the extent of this boost is unknown. It likely won't be worth the time/money invested, but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

RC Cola posted:

It depends on if you're going to want to put in the time to make a Heavensward relic weapon. Completing the ARR relic will give you a headstart, but as for how big the headstart is, nobody knows. If this is something you're going to want to put the time into making, and not dropping out halfway because "whine whine the grind is too much where's my tomestone weapon", then I wouldn't bother. The grind can get pretty heavy.

Your other choices are just not doing it, and starting the Heavensward relic grind from scratch, or not doing it period. It's up to you.

The ARR grind isn't that bad anymore, though it still takes time. Plus, depending on your tastes, the relic/zodiac weapons look pretty neat. It's all up to you.

• Locked thread