Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Is it secret?
Is it safe?

e:This is the scariest blue screen I've ever gotten from 8.1
Upgrade you idiot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

So I can't seem to hear Cortana when I type poo poo at her. Anyone know how to fix that? Google only gave me some barely coherent microsoft IT persona saying the questioner needed to configure both sound managers - the windows sound manager and Realtek HD Audio manager that I assume installed with my Nvidia drivers.
At least on WinPhone, Cortana only responds to text input with text, and voice input with speech. Try saying something to her and seeing if you can hear her then.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Is it secret?
Is it safe?

e:This is the scariest blue screen I've ever gotten from 8.1

Neither secret nor safe.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
My desktops a 60gb SSD for my OS and a 2TB HDD for everything else. When I was running Windows 7 I just had user folders like 'music' etc... on the HDD and just included those folders in the applicable libraries to get to them from the start menu. It seems that in 10 though, if I click on 'music' in the start menu it brings up instead the music folder under 'This PC', which is my C:\ drive, which is empty.
I can still access my libraries, but it's a longer process and does not seem to be the default anymore. As a roundabout I can pin libraries to quick access in the file explorer, but I still can't directly access that from Start. Is there a different way I should be going about this?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ManSedan posted:

My desktops a 60gb SSD for my OS and a 2TB HDD for everything else. When I was running Windows 7 I just had user folders like 'music' etc... on the HDD and just included those folders in the applicable libraries to get to them from the start menu. It seems that in 10 though, if I click on 'music' in the start menu it brings up instead the music folder under 'This PC', which is my C:\ drive, which is empty.
I can still access my libraries, but it's a longer process and does not seem to be the default anymore. As a roundabout I can pin libraries to quick access in the file explorer, but I still can't directly access that from Start. Is there a different way I should be going about this?

Right-click those folders in Computer, go to Properties, there should be a tab where you can change the location.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

ManSedan posted:

Right click the folder and change location in properties

You can do that for all the library folders

Efb

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So here's something that makes me feel spergy as gently caress for getting frustrated about but...

Is there any way to select a solid wallpaper color besides the very narrow range of specific ones Microsoft has preordained as acceptable as their new color palette? There's a specific shade I'm looking for but I don't see a color wheel or anything similar to what Windows 7 had which I can use to select it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

If you know the shade why not just make it yourself as a picture?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

If you know the shade why not just make it yourself as a picture?

Well I could do that I suppose, but I guess I'm really wondering if there was just some color wheel or square I wasn't seeing, or if Microsoft really did just say "yeah these should be fine, nobody could possibly want to use anything besides these 6 very attention demanding, vivid, sharp colors or these 4 shades of pure darkish grey we're going to allow."

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Aug 6, 2015

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I'm trying Step 1, making a system backup. I've run the DISM thing, and it came back as 'repairable'. I ran the repair option, and it tells me that the source files couldn't be found. I followed the knowledgebase, and it says by default I should be able to use Windows Update if it's configured in the firewall. Windows Update works fine on my computer.. is there something else I should have to do to get this dism thing to repair whatever problems it sees and use WU to do it?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

GreatGreen posted:

Well I could do that I suppose, but I guess I'm really wondering if there was just some color wheel or square I wasn't seeing, or if Microsoft really did just say "yeah these should be fine, nobody could possibly want to use anything besides these 6 very attention demanding, vivid, sharp colors or these 4 shades of pure darkish grey we're going to allow."

I dunno, do many people even have a solid colour background?

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Skarsnik posted:

I've used #008080 for like 2 decades

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

I mean... I do?.:)

edit: just found out it's #0A3B76

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Aug 6, 2015

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

TopherCStone posted:

I've used #008080 for like 2 decades

I think that's one of the choices, do don't worry

Ms know their stuff obviously

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Skarsnik posted:

i do, wallpaper is only useful if you're not using your computer

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i do, wallpaper is only useful if you're not using your computer

What colour do you have?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Skarsnik posted:

#000000 for life

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Last night, GeForce Experience said I had a driver update ready. It was the 353.62 driver that was released July 29. I knew it might cause me problems, but I went ahead and downloaded and installed it anyway. At the end of installation, it showed a message saying that it would restart the computer in x seconds. I hit "Restart now", and sure enough, I was at 1024x768 and GeForce Experience had gotten uninstalled. The fix was luckily easy enough: I just reinstalled GeForce Experience from NVIDIA's website and reinstalled the already-downloaded driver from there.

Another odd problem was that I couldn't choose Firefox as my default Web browser. I went ahead and chose Internet Explorer to see if it would then pop up Firefox as a choice. It didn't. However, I closed and reopened Firefox, at which point it asked me if I wanted to set it as default. I said yes, then it took me to the System settings again, where I could now select Firefox. Weird.

I expected some hitches here and there with this upgrade, and so far it's been meeting my expectations. Any random problems I've had have been resolved quickly, and daily operation has been fine in general. I say Windows 10 is overall a pretty good success for Microsoft.

Other good news:
  • Could be placebo effect, but I feel like my load times in The Witcher 3 have improved significantly.
  • The one Steam game that would crash on launch (Sniper Elite 3) works now after I verified files.
  • My GTX 760 supports the performance-improving DX12 features, so I'll have that to look forward to once games get patched.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Someone explain one of the great mysteries of computing to me. That cock sucking effect when you try to go back and type in the middle of a sentence and it erases everything ahead of it as you type. Edge seems to do it all the time. Reminds me of being back in high school using word perfect. Any way to get rid of this poo poo?

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

codo27 posted:

Someone explain one of the great mysteries of computing to me. That cock sucking effect when you try to go back and type in the middle of a sentence and it erases everything ahead of it as you type. Edge seems to do it all the time. Reminds me of being back in high school using word perfect. Any way to get rid of this poo poo?

Press 'Insert' ?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

codo27 posted:

Hit the insert key?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

VodeAndreas posted:

No for the games - unless you're upgrading from 32 bit Win XP or something that still has 16 bit support... Does GOG carry any 16 bit games?

Yes, both Steam and GOG ship DOSbox with every one of their 16-bit titles, generally configured to run it.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
GOG's version of Sim City 2000 seems to run fine :shobon:

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
Is there a way to disable that WiFi Sense stuff before it sends any data to MS? Only solution I've found so far requires you to also change your network SSID, which means that every device currently able to connect will need to be reconfigured.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
WiFi Sense is opt-in, you have to choose to share a network

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Jolan posted:

Is there a way to disable that WiFi Sense stuff before it sends any data to MS? Only solution I've found so far requires you to also change your network SSID, which means that every device currently able to connect will need to be reconfigured.

Isn't that opt-in? You have to say yes to it before it does anything.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
Oh, I was under the impression that it was opt-out, my bad. Haven't been able to try W10 myself because I'm not getting the upgrade offer, not sure if it's a Bootcamp issue or because I bought my key through my university a couple years back and it's counting as a volume licence or something. But a dozen family members have called me up about it the past few days, so I thought I'd do some reading up.

Edit: seems like it's enabled if you install using express settings, at least in previous builds.

Jolan fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 6, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

GOG's version of Sim City 2000 seems to run fine :shobon:

Protip: get the Windows 95 Special Edition of SimCity 2000 and the patch for Windows 7+ and it'll play fine in 10, and doesn't have the resolution/speed restrictions that the GOG DOS version does:

I can send you the patch if neccesary

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

Protip: get the Windows 95 Special Edition of SimCity 2000 and the patch for Windows 7+ and it'll play fine in 10, and doesn't have the resolution/speed restrictions that the GOG DOS version does:

honestly it's not the same without the GUS soundfont and the 640x480 res

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Jolan posted:

Oh, I was under the impression that it was opt-out, my bad. Haven't been able to try W10 myself because I'm not getting the upgrade offer, not sure if it's a Bootcamp issue or because I bought my key through my university a couple years back and it's counting as a volume licence or something. But a dozen family members have called me up about it the past few days, so I thought I'd do some reading up.

Edit: seems like it's enabled if you install using express settings, at least in previous builds.

Isn't the option turned on, but you still need to actually enable it for each individual wifi network?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Jolan posted:

Yes but you still need to actually share a network, it doesn't share stuff automatically

oversteer
Jun 6, 2005

Got Cortana working, seemed to start working after latest updates and reboot. She is a miserable bitch though.

What's the best way to get an iCloud calendar into the Win 10 calendar app? The Apple iCloud app loads it into Outlook 2013 just fine, but it doesn't appear in the Calendar app, even if I enter my iCloud password(!!)

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Segmentation Fault posted:

honestly it's not the same without the GUS soundfont and the 640x480 res

As much of a pain in the rear end it's been getting the drivers just right in Windows 10, this is why I love my X-Fi. I can load in new soundfonts until Doom MIDIs sound :krad:

Nintendo Kid posted:

Protip: get the Windows 95 Special Edition of SimCity 2000 and the patch for Windows 7+ and it'll play fine in 10, and doesn't have the resolution/speed restrictions that the GOG DOS version does.

I've gotten SimCity 2000 working with a reg fix before, but does your fix correct the weird animation issues that occur when it's not running in 256 colors?

xergm fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 6, 2015

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Dunno if this is the right place, but I was wondering about upgrading to Windows 10. I know that the free upgrade gives you the same version you had, but if I bought a transferable license of 10 Home, could I just do the upgrade from 7 Pro or would I have to do a clean wipe first?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

Thanks for the offer, but I don't really play it much (got it for free one day from GOG for reasons I'm not entirely sure of). Also, I like the oldschool DOS feel :shobon:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

xergm posted:

As much of a pain in the rear end it's been getting the drivers just right in Windows 10, this is why I love my X-Fi. I can load in new soundfonts until Doom MIDIs sound :krad:

I've gotten SimCity 2000 working with a reg fix before, but does your fix correct the weird animation issues that occur when it's not running in 256 colors?

I haven't noticed any animation issues. The patch involves the fact that on 7 and up the way it tries to call a file dialog box causes the program to crash, so the patch fixes how it does that.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I'll have to try playing it again, it's been a while. The animation issue I was having seemed intermittent, occasionally the tiles would freeze and stop animating. Things like traffic never moved, no water or pipe effects, no runway lights flashing, etc.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

GreatGreen posted:

So here's something that makes me feel spergy as gently caress for getting frustrated about but...

Is there any way to select a solid wallpaper color besides the very narrow range of specific ones Microsoft has preordained as acceptable as their new color palette? There's a specific shade I'm looking for but I don't see a color wheel or anything similar to what Windows 7 had which I can use to select it.
I don't feel like it is spergy because that's the first thing I complained about out loud. What the gently caress is it too hard to have a link that pops up the common color select dialog to let me select a color? These are all the colors anyone should ever need, selected via focus groups and a much larger expense than it would take for us to allow you to select your own color.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Diviance posted:

Isn't the option turned on, but you still need to actually enable it for each individual wifi network?

Skarsnik posted:

Yes but you still need to actually share a network, it doesn't share stuff automatically

Allright, thanks for the info.

I just found out that the update required to show the W10 upgrade icon was hidden, so now that that's fixed I can get some first-hand experience and stop asking stupid questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

CapnBry posted:

I don't feel like it is spergy because that's the first thing I complained about out loud. What the gently caress is it too hard to have a link that pops up the common color select dialog to let me select a color? These are all the colors anyone should ever need, selected via focus groups and a much larger expense than it would take for us to allow you to select your own color.

The UI for the old style control panel for background/wallpapers is still in Windows 10, but the only way to access it is by running this command:

control /name Microsoft.Personalization /page pageWallpaper

If we ever get a new thread, this should probably go in the OP.

• Locked thread