Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
The horse appears before someone dies. It's a pale horse, get it? That's what I thought it meant anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Yes -- in the Log Lady intro to this episode, she ends her monologue with, "Woe to the ones who behold the pale horse."

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

quote:

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

It's pretty much the single least subtle shot of Twin Peaks?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I always thought that in addition to the revelations reference it was just a cheap joke to suggest Sarah had been dosed with heroin.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
In Zombie's Halloween 2 he puts the meaning of his version of the white horse right up front in a title card.

"Linked to instinct, purity, and the drive of the physical body to release powerful and emotional forces, like rage with ensuing chaos and destruction."

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Quote-Unquote posted:

I always thought that in addition to the revelations reference it was just a cheap joke to suggest Sarah had been dosed with heroin.

That, too! There's a connection also between that horse and the Giant's second clue to Cooper of Hungry Horse, MT, which connects back to his first clue of "the man in the smiling bag" = body bag = death.

Don't tell me I'm reaching. :colbert:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Quote-Unquote posted:

I feel dumb for asking this, but are horses associated with heroin or something?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Raxivace posted:

I feel dumb for asking this, but are horses associated with heroin or something?

Horse is a street term for heroin.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Quote-Unquote posted:

In the movie they confirm she has been drugged so BOB can visit Laura nightly.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Horses are also notorious heroin addicts. Some horses don't even have money or jobs because of it.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Horses are also notorious heroin addicts. Some horses don't even have money or jobs because of it.

Well, can you blame them? They have some pretty rough lives.

Ruddha posted:

I don't know about anyone else, but I know for a fact that horses are stupider than poo poo and WILL kill themselves if you don't take an absurd amount of precautions and adorn them in the right silly accessories so that they don't scare themselves and fall over dead, and even then at best you can reduce the chances that they will do that, but they're still absolutely going to. Women who are obsessed with horses are just as bad as ones who are obsessed with anything else, but it may be dumber because it's a placeholder for animalistic male sexuality; however, in reality, it doesn't hold up because dominant male sexual energy is incompatible with horse personality and tendencies because, again, they're absolutely going to kill themselves by accident, whereas studs and straight power tops are highly unlikely to catch their reflection in a mirror then break their leg and get eaten by a mountain lioness

Ruddha posted:

Of course, if you don't nail little metal rings onto them, they'll split open, and then they'll die.

Ruddha posted:

I personally guarantee you a dog will never in this life hear a bee then have a heart attack out of fear, dying

Ruddha posted:

Babies grow up and that's okay, it's like, sometimes a great meal is worth a lot of prep, for example. Horses only get more likely to die from a stupid reason as they get older. Oh poor ol' Freckles, thought of ants and died

Ruddha posted:

That's understandable, but in the scheme of things it's a fairly low chance. With horses, there is no such thing as a natural death at any point in existence: they've strictly only died from stupid poo poo. Saw water and passed away

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I just finished the "Who killed Laura" episode and it was stunning. Also the killing scene at the end is one of the most uncomfortable, chilling scenes of violence I've ever seen in any medium, much less one from network TV in 1991.

My question is, do I stop now? I've heard the rest of the series is a disaster, minus an OK finale. I also heard Lynch was more or less done with the series after this episode. Does the finale have any kind of closure to it? I figure I stop now and I leave on some cliffhangers, but if the show got cancelled abruptly, I'm leaving on cliffhangers anyway. I'd rather stop on a good note than watch a whole bunch of trash for completions sake.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

zoux posted:

I just finished the "Who killed Laura" episode and it was stunning. Also the killing scene at the end is one of the most uncomfortable, chilling scenes of violence I've ever seen in any medium, much less one from network TV in 1991.

My question is, do I stop now? I've heard the rest of the series is a disaster, minus an OK finale. I also heard Lynch was more or less done with the series after this episode. Does the finale have any kind of closure to it? I figure I stop now and I leave on some cliffhangers, but if the show got cancelled abruptly, I'm leaving on cliffhangers anyway. I'd rather stop on a good note than watch a whole bunch of trash for completions sake.

I'd say watch them. There are good moments or storylines here and there. If you're not feeling it then just skip to the finale and watch it to be all prepped for the new series.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

zoux posted:

Watch the whole thing and the movie. There's a lot of good stuff in there even if a couple sub plots are terrible. The series ends on a cliffhanger but that's why they're making a new season.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alright but if it's a terrible waste of my time I'm coming for y'all irl.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

zoux posted:

You should watch it but most of it till the very end is awful. Life is pain.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

zoux posted:

Well, don't watch a show you don't like and if it's boring you completely stop watching.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

It comes down to if you give a poo poo about any of the characters, or were you just in it because of the Laura Palmer mystery. By the time I found out who killed Laura I was pretty invested in a bunch of the side characters so I've always enjoyed Season 2 just fine.

And its not like we're talking about 50+ episodes here, its one season of like 22 episodes, I'm sure you've wasted more time than that on much shittier series. Around the halfway point of the season the story starts to zero in on the Lodge, and even if you don't really like the season that much I think its worth it so you can appreciate the finale(directed by Lynch) in full context.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

It comes down to if you give a poo poo about any of the characters, or were you just in it because of the Laura Palmer mystery. By the time I found out who killed Laura I was pretty invested in a bunch of the side characters so I've always enjoyed Season 2 just fine.

And its not like we're talking about 50+ episodes here, its one season of like 22 episodes, I'm sure you've wasted more time than that on much shittier series. Around the halfway point of the season the story starts to zero in on the Lodge, and even if you don't really like the season that much I think its worth it so you can appreciate the finale(directed by Lynch) in full context.

Lynch also shows up a couple of times.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

zoux posted:

Does the finale have any kind of closure to it?

The finale has the precise opposite of closure.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I like the characters. Well, not Bobby :mad:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

I didn't like Bobby either but I liked him a lot more after I watched Fire Walk With Me, which you should do after the series. Seeing what he was up to leading up to Laura's death makes him a lot easier to root for. Plus Leo's an rear end in a top hat, he deserved everything he got.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

Bobby is a lot more likable in the second season as they build more on his relationship with his dad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Bobby is a lot more likable in the second season as they build more on his relationship with his dad.

That's good, I really like Don Davis in that role.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

zoux posted:

That's good, I really like Don Davis in that role.

He is not Beyond the sea in this role.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

He is not Beyond the sea in this role.

Well he kinda is...

He goes beyond something anyway.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Bobby always seemed like he had the potential to become another Leo, but he also had the potential to get his act together and become a decent person, and that tension was kind of interesting.

Kinda interested to see where he is in Twin Peaks 2017

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I thought I'd hate Bobby when I first watched the show, but I ended up really, really liking him. They took the cliche dick boyfriend and subverted it enough or explored it enough to make it interesting. I think it's why I don't like James. His whole archetype is just played beat-for-beat instead of doing anything interesting with it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

LesterGroans posted:

I thought I'd hate Bobby when I first watched the show, but I ended up really, really liking him. They took the cliche dick boyfriend and subverted it enough or explored it enough to make it interesting. I think it's why I don't like James. His whole archetype is just played beat-for-beat instead of doing anything interesting with it.

I think it was the actors themselves.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

bobkatt013 posted:

Definitely not ruling that out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

Yea, take the first scene Bobby has in the series where he is being questioned at school by Truman. There's better acting in that scene that anything James did the entire show, and Bobby's actor only got better from there as it went on.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea, take the first scene Bobby has in the series where he is being questioned at school by Truman. There's better acting in that scene that anything James did the entire show, and Bobby's actor only got better from there as it went on.

Bobby's best moment was his reaction to whatever Mike said regarding Teen Nadine's abilities. Cracks me up every time.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I realised Bobby was one of my favourite characters when I saw this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUm6YvNm5dg

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Bobby always seemed like he had the potential to become another Leo, but he also had the potential to get his act together and become a decent person, and that tension was kind of interesting.

Kinda interested to see where he is in Twin Peaks 2017

Yeah that's exactly what was great about him, I really like his arc.

Also his thumping of the Jukebox plays the best piece of music in the show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78M7f6dk3Bg

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

i liked when dr. jacoby psychoanalyzed bobby or whatever and talked about how laura made fun of him and he cried the first time they had sex or something. that was a good scene

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
My Psych rewatch finally came across the Dual spires episode, and I realized I had never really watched this show.

I'm now five and a half episodes in what in the hell have I gotten myself into. I am going to have some weird dreams about pie.

But at least that gum I like is going to come back into style.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Surlaw posted:

Well, don't watch a show you don't like and if it's boring you completely stop watching.

Mother fucker, do you even read the True Detective thread.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Frostwerks posted:

Mother fucker, do you even read the True Detective thread.

You can say many things about the second season of True Detective, but it's certainly not boring.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

And More posted:

You can say many things about the second season of True Detective, but it's certainly not boring.

I actually think its been pretty boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Episodes 6, 7, and potentially 8 could wind up being good. Still the first 5 were terrible. Even the giant shoot out was boring.

• Locked thread