Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Share Bear posted:

no

do what your team lead does

if you dont have a spec make one and then make whatever bullshit decision you want because theyre all wrong

well yeah that's not up for discussion

I just wanted sympathy for how bad our spec is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Vanadium posted:

is this safe space accepting of indentation style discussions

absolutely not. if you have to, trigger warning that poo poo

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Vanadium posted:

well yeah that's not up for discussion

is it worse than gnu style with two-space indents?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Vanadium posted:

"Indent using two hard tabs, also tab size must be three spaces"

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

fritz posted:

except if there's r packages that do the analyses you need but you'd have to write the python yourself

fritz posted:

also ggplot is reason enough to go with r

ggplot2 is cool and good

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

coffeetable posted:

there is no good reason to use R over python for a new project

OpenCPU is pretty neat, I don't think IPython is completely equivalent.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Share Bear posted:

i wish i had better mentoring, because they're all like this, because the definition of what is simple is relative

i try not to do it as much, but if it's like "what does group by do in sql" i get annoyed

Yeah i try to be mindful of it but when it's like "how do I use this piece of commonly used lab equipment with a very clearly printed name on it" the answer is always going to be "check the manual"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

like if you're a fresh hire ee I think it's reasonable to expect you to have a basic knowledge of how to use an oscilloscope or at least where to start

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I guess I only care about indentation and other crap because there's no interesting problems here so far, just endless opportunity for mistakes when duplicating effort..

anyway a bunch of kinda ok rules conspire to make formatting end up looking like this, ugh

if VeryLongConditionGoesHere and
   AnotherConditionGoesHere then begin
   CodeInTheBodyGoesHere;
   EtcMoreCode;
end;

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
ansible is neat except now all the dependencies are on the computer running the scripts

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Awia posted:

hit me with the footnote

i have only passing familiarity with bluetooth but if you threw up an ettus USRP and just captured everything in the band you could probably sort something out :v:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Vanadium posted:

I guess I only care about indentation and other crap because there's no interesting problems here so far, just endless opportunity for mistakes when duplicating effort..

anyway a bunch of kinda ok rules conspire to make formatting end up looking like this, ugh

if VeryLongConditionGoesHere and
   AnotherConditionGoesHere then begin
   CodeInTheBodyGoesHere;
   EtcMoreCode;
end;

could be worse, today i found camel case and snake case functions in the same file all of ten lines apart.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

ansible is neat except now all the dependencies are on the computer running the scripts

but this is good?

build a provisioning server/vm and do everything as localhost except for uploading your artifact to the target system and installing it (or better yet, get aws codedeploy to do that part)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

jony neuemonic posted:

could be worse, today i found camel case and snake case functions in the same file all of ten lines apart.

please stop reading over my shoulder

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

idk why but snake case Just Feels Right when youre in a db

lol if u ever use it outside of one tho

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
today i coded an ugly but working implementation and only once i had tests up and running did i start to refactor it into something nice.

usually i do half the implementation, rewrite it, do half of the remaining, rewrite it all, then another half of the remaining until the arrow hits the tortoise. all the while not being able to compile or test so i keep it all in my head, which inevitably leads to dozens of compiler errors (if i'm lucky)

what's happening to me thread, did i just become a ... slightly better programmer???

e: just in time for my new job on monday!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
project is here: https://github.com/djmcgill/CPU

doubt it'd compile except in my environment, i just threw half the stuff into unmanaged dependencies because i couldn't be bothered to arse around with sbt just yet

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lol

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
caring about camelcase vs underscores is dumb because it's really just a visual style that your editor should be able to tweak as you desire

e.g. in emacs just turn glasses-mode on and it'll separate camelcase words for you

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus

compuserved posted:

ggplot2 is cool and good

ggplot2 rules

R is for pro statisticians, python is for babby machine learning hipsters. people will tell you oh python has a ton of packages to do anything you want but they are dead loving wrong and probably doing basic poo poo for children. there is gently caress all available for python, hope you enjoy reading 10 papers to code up a tiny algorithm yourself every single day instead of downloading a single package from an actually quite functional package management system.

R as a language has issues but python is also a poo poo language and the R ecosystem rules so

before anyone asks julia is garbage don't waste your time

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ShimaTetsuo posted:

ggplot2 rules

R is for pro statisticians, python is for babby machine learning hipsters. people will tell you oh python has a ton of packages to do anything you want but they are dead loving wrong and probably doing basic poo poo for children. there is gently caress all available for python, hope you enjoy reading 10 papers to code up a tiny algorithm yourself every single day instead of downloading a single package from an actually quite functional package management system.

R as a language has issues but python is also a poo poo language and the R ecosystem rules so

this damages my world view

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

ShimaTetsuo posted:

ggplot2 rules

python is, as always, a lovely p-lang.

I thought SPSS was R's "competition" more than matlab

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
I'm a terrible web developer and I use Vagrant + Virtualbox. anyone have experience with VMware in place of it, especially whether it's worth the price premium. always feel like file system is a little sluggish when it's on a Virtualbox VM.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
vmware workstation is faster and less buggy but virtualbox + vagrant are what everyone else is using

you can't count on somebody else's stuff working ootb on your vagrant + vmware combo

also you gotta pay twice, once for the workstation license and once for the vagrant-vmware plugin

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

$GOOD_THING is faster and less buggy but $BAD_THING is what everyone else is using

webdev in a nutshell

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
I'm aware of the price premium, almost $350 AUD a seat, but the question is whether that price premium is worth it for the performance gain. I have no qualms building up a couple of boxes and provisioning if the performance increase is high, as I say development is noticeably sluggish in a Virtualbox environment.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so my wife wants me to make a simple webpoage. could i do that? are wysiwyg web makes still a thing

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

save as html in microsoft word

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

echinopsis posted:

so my wife wants me to make a simple webpoage. could i do that? are wysiwyg web makes still a thing
wordpress

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
http://macaw.co costs moneys but is wysiwyg.

or you could just make a http://motherfuckingwebsite.com

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Maluco Marinero posted:

I'm a terrible web developer and I use Vagrant + Virtualbox. anyone have experience with VMware in place of it, especially whether it's worth the price premium. always feel like file system is a little sluggish when it's on a Virtualbox VM.

internet says maybe, but also if you're using a timb machine try using NFS first

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

its for a business.. its gonna be very simple, nthing dynamic

is dreamweaver styll a thing

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

nothing makes me feel like a terrible programmer like windows programming

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

there are a thousand vendors who have WYSIWYG website editors for grandmas who own businesses

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

there are a thousand vendors who have WYSIWYG website editors for grandmas who own businesses

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Vanadium posted:

is this safe space accepting of indentation style discussions

I wrote my first python script in a professional context today

the indentation was 5 spaces :unsmigghh:

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i wrote a thing in python that tells me what steam game i should play, i feel very acomplished

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

yeah ill get right on that

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
$ python gamechooser.py
You should go outside and enjoy nature

$ python gamechooser.py
You should call your mom and tell her you love her

$ python gamechooser.py
You should meet up with your friends