Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
OK, that I don't get, the morale system isn't that hard to understand. It's a lot easier to understand than what some spells do.

You just need to remember that morale 50 means not actually being influenced by the morale system and the rest is easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Malachite_Dragon posted:

"We don't understand how our own game works anymore." :psyduck: holy poo poo.

Programming is basically a one man show that's been going on since 2001 or earlier. I wouldn't be surprised if morale was written a decade ago and we already know how bad these guys are at documentation.

Density
Nov 12, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Illwinter is slowly turning into the Adeptus Mechanicus. Soon they'll start fixing bugs by chanting to their compilers and rhythmically slapping their cocks on the monitors.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I kind of appreciate the cargo cult game design, to be honest.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

No, it's distinctly wrong, i've tested this before. Just to be sure I literally just tested it and lost nowhere near that much population. It's more like .66 per point of unrest patrolled away than 10 per.

This is a big part of why blood is so insane. You can patrol down unrest and extract tons of blood slaves from your lands and it doesn't really depopulate them that quickly. If patrol actually killed 10 peasants per unrest removed that would be a significant and needed cut in blood's ability to scale so crazily.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Having high order + a lot of pd also helps with getting rid of unrest with out trashing your population, especially if you don't have some crazy blood searcher like a B9 fountain pulling 25 slaves a turn.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lots of people take O3/G3 in scales, or close to it, the fact both helps against the bad side of blood hunting it's a big benefit.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

One turn there was a solid shield wall of Abysian heavy infantry protecting his fireball-spewing mage corp. The next turn... it was time for boar. This game is amazing. Shout outs to the Great Boar (perhaps the greatest), which gored the Abysian pretender god and then trampled his prophet into the mud.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
That post was such a boar :tootzzz:

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
really disappointed to not see a thrice horned boar on your side of the field

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
An actual Rainbow pretender spotted in the wild. Now I've seen it all.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Density posted:

Illwinter is slowly turning into the Adeptus Mechanicus. Soon they'll start fixing bugs by chanting to their compilers and rhythmically slapping their cocks on the monitors.

That's basically programming in general. Always has been. All code ever written is bad and nobody comments as much as they should. Nothing is ever properly documented and programming languages change over time. Other times you have some problem that you need to fix right loving now or nothing will work at all but the only fix you can come up with fast enough is a terrible hack job. So you say "I'll put this in now because it works and fix it later." Then you never do and ten years later somebody else finds your god awful hack and thinks "hey that's a good idea!" Sometimes that's actually you but you forgot why you wrote that pile of garbage or what the fix was.

Worse yet sometimes that god awful hack turns out to be the only reason why literally everything works. You try to fix it but everything else breaks. Which is the other thing; sometimes you fix one bug and it causes 30 more.

The worst is net code. My one professor literally said that "the entire internet is constantly burning down all the time. It's a miracle it works at all."

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

And let's remember they are "hobbyist game developers", not professional game developers. Game development at Illwinter isn't their main job. I can't be surprised if they haven't maintained the code with maximum rigor in a what really is a 2-bedroom devs project.

giantlaserpenguin
May 5, 2015
Signed up for the goon game service.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

Always meme. Always.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
Are there any good tricks to prevent attack rear orders from RNG'ing their way onto your mages? Assuming storm is off the table and I would prefer to have my mages in the backline rather than in the center of a giant troop sandwich.

I'm testing against large masses of flyers (200+, all set to attack rear orders) and even with like 400 troops arranged in 6 groups the flyers still sometimes get lucky and one group of 50 flyers will get to my mages in the back. Even more annoying, sometimes they all attack the rearmost line of troops, and the spillover of all those flyers colliding with each others can actually push them back into my mageline, effectively turning it into a mage attack. poo poo's very random and kind of hard to plan against.

Is there anything I'm missing that could make avoiding the attack-rear more reliable? Like breaking my troops into more groups or setting them all to skirmish formation or something?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

have mages that are ethereal and invunerable and have awe and fear and mistform and soul vortex. then they can survive standing on top of zotz

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
If your point is that I'm being foolishly stubborn then you're probably right but there's gotta be something abuseable about the way attack rear works to at least minimize the chances of my mages getting turn 1 batman'd

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Put your mages slightly forward and off to the side and a blob of heavy infantry behind them on hold and attack closest to serve as targets for the Attack Rear order? Some dudes on Guard Commander might also work: If every square around your mage is full of friendly infantry then a batmans can't land next to him and stab him with a pointy stick.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
Baiting it is an interesting idea but that leaves me in the same situation where I'm at the whims of RNG, since sometimes the rear attack works, sometimes it doesn't. Just seems kinda lame that even with double the enemy troop count there seems to be a critical mass of flyers where you just can't prevent the wraparound. Interestingly if I go up to like 700+ troops it actually gets worse because my troops take up all the space where the flyers would normally land and when the flyers surround my blob they get pushed back into my mages pretty much 100% of the time.

Thus far my best results are from keeping the mages in the middle of all the troops and hoping they don't do anything too stupid as a result. Lesson learned i guess.

Edit: also doing cheap stuff like spamming 20 groups of 1-2 units doesn't seem to have any effect.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Whether flyers can go over soldiers on Attack Rear or not is a morale check and like all checks in Dom4 it has DRN added to it. As DRN is an exploding 2d6 (that means if it rolls a 6 you re-roll and add the result, ex you could roll 6, 6, 1 for a total of 13 on 1 exploding dice) that means that there is always a small chance that the check will succeed no matter how many dudes are in the way. So you need to have some form of defense that works even if the flyers succeed on their 'attack rear' order because there is no way to ensure that it always fails.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

There's a couple things you can do to deal with attack-rear flyers.

Option A, which you've stated you don't want, is a mage sandwich - a "rearguard" of troops to bait out attack rear orders.

Option B is having each mage have a squad of dudes on Guard Commander", which isn't perfect if a large number of troops hit your backline, but works well when combined with A so that flyer-bunching doesn't put your mages in the line of fire as badly

Option C is having extremely high morale units between you and the flyers. :siren: I might be misremembering this :siren: When a squad has a target and moves close to an enemy squad that isn't its target, it needs to pass an opposed morale check, or else engage the other squad. This is why attack rear orders often can't quite get all the way to the back row. If you put something like skeletons between the mages and the flyers, the flyers will almost certainly lose their opposed morale check vs the 50-morale skeletons and be forced to engage.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
Actually skeletons are what I'm testing with, so I can indeed confirm that they get bypassed even when in the 400 numbers.

I also understand the mechanics you're explaining Neruz, but there has to be some additional mechanic in place to determine which group gets attacked when an attack rear order is given: If I arrange 5 lines of 80 units each, and have 3 squads of flyers on attack rear, they often end up attacking different lines of units, and sometimes they will get to the mage backend. Usually only one flyer squad makes it to the rear, which suggests each squad is rolling individually (no surprise there). And the fact that they often end up adjacent to different troop squads is what made me think that having more squads of troops might proc more morale checks and reduce the rate of them getting to my mages. But that last point does not seem to be reliable, unless there is a minimum troop count required for the squad to trigger a morale check (I only tested spamming squads of 1-3 units).

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 11, 2015

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I think the number of troops is a modifier to the opposed morale roll (in other words, both the number of attackers and defenders count). It makes sense, if you think about it.

So you can divide the units in several squads to provoke more morale checks, but each one will be easier to succeed.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The check isn't hard to pass and you don't want to gamble your mages lives on those rolls. Just make a blob of garbage and stick the mages in the middle.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

TheresNoThyme posted:

Actually skeletons are what I'm testing with, so I can indeed confirm that they get bypassed even when in the 400 numbers.

I also understand the mechanics you're explaining Neruz, but there has to be some additional mechanic in place to determine which group gets attacked when an attack rear order is given: If I arrange 5 lines of 80 units each, and have 3 squads of flyers on attack rear, they often end up attacking different lines of units, and sometimes they will get to the mage backend. Usually only one flyer squad makes it to the rear, which suggests each squad is rolling individually (no surprise there). And the fact that they often end up adjacent to different troop squads is what made me think that having more squads of troops might proc more morale checks and reduce the rate of them getting to my mages. But that last point does not seem to be reliable, unless there is a minimum troop count required for the squad to trigger a morale check (I only tested spamming squads of 1-3 units).

Each squad rolls an individual morale check for each other squad it has to go past yes. When on Attack Rear orders if a squad tries to pass by an enemy squad they do some kind of morale check and if the check fails then the guys on Attack Rear attack the squad they are trying to bypass instead. Multiple squads of defenders reduces the likelihood that any given squad of flyers will get past, multiple squads of flyers increases the likelihood that one squad will get past. But due to the DRN addition that likelihood will never be certain either way and there is always a chance that a squad will just roll well and get all the way through.

Squad size is definitely relevant to the morale check, I have no idea how exactly the check works (and neither do Illwinter) but bigger squads have better checks and very small squads of I think less than 5 guys have massive penalties to morale checks.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ChickenWing posted:

There's a couple things you can do to deal with attack-rear flyers.

Option A, which you've stated you don't want, is a mage sandwich - a "rearguard" of troops to bait out attack rear orders.

Option B is having each mage have a squad of dudes on Guard Commander", which isn't perfect if a large number of troops hit your backline, but works well when combined with A so that flyer-bunching doesn't put your mages in the line of fire as badly

Option C is having extremely high morale units between you and the flyers. :siren: I might be misremembering this :siren: When a squad has a target and moves close to an enemy squad that isn't its target, it needs to pass an opposed morale check, or else engage the other squad. This is why attack rear orders often can't quite get all the way to the back row. If you put something like skeletons between the mages and the flyers, the flyers will almost certainly lose their opposed morale check vs the 50-morale skeletons and be forced to engage.

Or if you have strong fire mages and with high fire resistance, Option D: Have them cast fire shield on round 1 and position them in a way to make as many fire zones overlap each other.

Disclaimer: Only works against flyers without fire resistance, of course.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
A staff of storms will shut down most flyers.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

A staff of storms will shut down most flyers.

Until an rear end in a top hat brings an army of Ziz.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Or Spire Horn Caelians. Or Air Elementals.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Neruz posted:

When on Attack Rear orders if a squad tries to pass by an enemy squad they do some kind of morale check and if the check fails then the guys on Attack Rear attack the squad they are trying to bypass instead.

I seem to recall Kristoffer saying that the unit starts trying to target (DRN) from the rear and works it's way forward. It's been like two months since I read that thread though, so I might be misremembering. Faulty as hell oral tradition is the proper Dominions way.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I have created a mod that you can use to create a passive observer player. This player has all graphs and will get a 999 stealth mindless spy hidden in every province via event. Just shove them into a province with no connections and they can quietly observe the game without interfering.

They exist in all ages and it's quite easy to add them to a map.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4kxpe4qj63zogw2/observers.zip?dl=0

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I have created a mod that you can use to create a passive observer player. This player has all graphs and will get a 999 stealth mindless spy hidden in every province via event. Just shove them into a province with no connections and they can quietly observe the game without interfering.

They exist in all ages and it's quite easy to add them to a map.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4kxpe4qj63zogw2/observers.zip?dl=0

Better make the spy floating and flying; there are still some remote assassinations that will target the spy (Vengeful Water, LA Atlantis' flying undead bear assassins) but there's nothing you can do about those.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Maybe a way to make the event re-occur every X number of turns to replace any scouts that get offed as a result? Also some water breathing for the water provinces, I think. Unless that's already covered by something else, I still have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing in this game :psyduck:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Maybe a way to make the event re-occur every X number of turns to replace any scouts that get offed as a result? Also some water breathing for the water provinces, I think. Unless that's already covered by something else, I still have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing in this game :psyduck:

Sure that will work but it still won't stop some remote assassinations that are intended to hit enemy players from accidentally hitting the superspies and wasting the mage's turn and gems used.

Honestly I think 'observer has free Eyes of God he can recast with max gems whenever he wants, game only has 4 global slots. Deal with it' is the best way to do it. I'd rather lose a global slot than have to deal with the potential random interference invisible superspies would result in.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

the only spell that targets stealthed mans is mind hunt and mind hunt will not target those guys because they dont have an mind

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

jsoh posted:

the only spell that targets stealthed mans is mind hunt and mind hunt will not target those guys because they dont have an mind

Doesn't Earth Attack hit stealthed mans? I recall using it to murder ponymans. Vengeful Waters will also hit them, though that won't have any actual gameplay significance beyond producing a giant fuckton of pointless combat messages. I feel like Tupilaks can go after stealthed commanders too, though that obviously only applies to LA Atlantis.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Neruz when are you coming back?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I sincerely doubt I will ever feel the urge to play Dom4 with goons ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Was there some drama? :ohdear: A quick glance over post histories didn't show anything and 287 pages is a bit much to comb through.

• Locked thread