Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Not to defend the guy, but this industry doesn't always attract the brightest stars. Let's not be too quick to judge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

The Midniter posted:

This is absolutely true and made the 4 o'clock dinner crew (75+ years) the bane of my existence when I served, since they were always "So cold!" and asked if I could "have the manager turn the A/C off".

Sorry, Hortence, your rear end should have packed a sweater.

Ha! I used to work at a theatre located in a library (so, much the same senior demographic), and had the same exact experience, even without kitchen heat. Before the film/lecture/concert started, nothing but nagging about "it's so cold!". Yes, because when the population of this room goes from zero to 300 in less than half an hour, you best believe that HVAC's gonna be struggling. The worst were the regulars who had a favorite seat, which was directly under the blowers. Heaven forbid you suggest they try a few rows forward or back...

Tonight's dinner service was okay on my end of KP, but let's have a drink for my homies in pots'n'pans. Some cook burned several Army-sized trays of lasagna. I didn't even know that the dark brown bricks of mystery foodstuff I'd been scraping off plates WAS lasagna until I heard p'n'p's wails of despair, that's how hosed up it was. :gonk: I can't believe they even served that.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Shooting Blanks posted:

Not to defend the guy, but this industry doesn't always attract the brightest stars. Let's not be too quick to judge.

This isn't quick. There are pages of him posting dumb poo poo. He is an idiot.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Kawasaki Nun posted:

This isn't quick. There are pages of him posting dumb poo poo. He is an idiot.

Truer words have never been posted.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.

A Man and his dog posted:

I just wish I was even offered the position that's all. But what ya gonna do :shrug:

I'd say like with any other job, whether you've shown interest in getting these positions is a major factor. I only started at my restaurant a little over three years ago, and there are servers that have been around literally since the place opened. Another server is basically the (former?) general manager's gay best friend who got promoted to a supervisory position over the servers, but turned down the assistant manager job because you have to deal with all of the poo poo. And as someone who's only ever been a host/cashier in that particular restaurant and has even been ribbed in this same thread for lack of overall restaurant experience (hey guys, remember when I was asking about bartending?), I'm an assistant manager.

So yeah, part of it's on you for not brownnosing or asking. Granted, not like asking automatically gets you the job, but at least ask instead of assuming you'll be asked.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
So I get a phone call from my executive chef this morning informing me that I have a check to pick up as well as that my services will no longer be needed. Apparently the owners of the restaurant group opened a new restaurant that is tanking horribly and instead of trying to fix it I guess that they decided that they should lay off 1/4 of the restaurant group's hourly staff. Keep in mind my kitchen was so short staffed as it was that while I was a prep cook I was also responsible for making sure the dishpit didn't get overloaded as well as helping out at pantry when tons of tickets came in. I was never disciplined and I never complained or asked for a raise. I was let go over the phone too, which I feel is cowardly as gently caress. I guess getting stabbed in the back is something to get used to in this industry.

Guess it's time to look for another job, at least I have some solid experience now.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

the great deceiver posted:

I guess getting stabbed in the back is something to get used to in this industry.

Yup.

Keep at it bud, if this is what you want to do go for it, but at the end of the day to your employers you're always replaceable. It's probably what I consider the worst part of the industry.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Work for hotels people!

rayray00
Mar 27, 2003

Capturing the moment from hair-loopies to big bellies.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Work for hotels people!

Yeah!

Week paid vacation coming at the end of the month :smuggo:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guess it's time to look for another job, at least I have some solid experience now.

poo poo man, that sucks to hear especially after seeing all your other posts. Try hospitals too, I'm working one now and it's good, solid, consistent work.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

So I get a phone call from my executive chef this morning informing me that I have a check to pick up as well as that my services will no longer be needed. Apparently the owners of the restaurant group opened a new restaurant that is tanking horribly and instead of trying to fix it I guess that they decided that they should lay off 1/4 of the restaurant group's hourly staff. Keep in mind my kitchen was so short staffed as it was that while I was a prep cook I was also responsible for making sure the dishpit didn't get overloaded as well as helping out at pantry when tons of tickets came in. I was never disciplined and I never complained or asked for a raise. I was let go over the phone too, which I feel is cowardly as gently caress. I guess getting stabbed in the back is something to get used to in this industry.

Get on that unemployment ASAP -- no, for serious.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Turkeybone posted:

Get on that unemployment ASAP -- no, for serious.

Yeah I'm doing that today. In the meantime I'm not too horribly worried because my culinary school semester starts on the 22nd and I will be expected to work 30 hours a week at the school's restaurant. I'm gonna get on unemployment today and update my resume tomorrow and start looking for something- there's a million new restaurants opening in my city all the time and I'll only be looking for Fri/Sat/Holiday work. I appreciate the support guys but I'll be back on my feet quick.

When I went in yesterday to pick up my final check my executive handed me my payroll check and then slipped me a handwritten envelope under the table with $100 cash and a note that I could use him as a reference any time. He very badly didn't want to fire me. Instead of being an rear end in a top hat about it I shook his hand and thanked him for the opportunity that he gave me.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Naelyan posted:

I'm weird and bad at my job and stuff but what I've always done is been good enough at my job that someone wasn't able to "brown nose" their way past me into a promotion. hth

This is precious

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Lmao. Yeah I'm so bad at my job! I mean I've only kept it for 9 years!

Uhhh who ever tried to call me out for hiring a bunch of women was also funny. It has nothing to do with gender! Just more servers = less shifts for me.

gently caress. You guys are all cool but so dense.

Yes. I like to work and make money.

Even more funny, was that yall just passed over Efierts post about a bartender who COULDN'T DARE touch dirty dishes and caused a big scene....

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Uhhh who ever tried to call me out for hiring a bunch of women was also funny. It has nothing to do with gender! Just more servers = less shifts for me.

Even more funny, was that yall just passed over Efierts post about a bartender who COULDN'T DARE touch dirty dishes and caused a big scene....

Im so tired of working to figure out your posts. Is "Efierts" supposed to be EGM talking about that obviously poo poo cocktailer or whatever who couldn't be assed to do actual work, or is this something your poor fractured mind has invented?

Look man, I'm not calling you out, Im literally quoting you. You put the gender in your sadpost about your sad life in a sad restaurant. Here is some advice for you, NO ONE IS EVER GOING TO BE IMPRESSED BY SOMEONE WHO HAS WORKED AT ONE RESTAURANT FOR NIGH A DECADE. Here in the real world, you are considered a promotional casualty, as in, you hit the end of where you should be on the peter scale. Saying you have had the same job for 9 years shows you haven't grown, don't have the drive to, and are not actually interested in investing in yourself or your career. I have been in the restaurant industry for less than two full years, and have been a waiter for a year and 1 month now. Some of this is luck, but it is all off the back of me investing in my continued education about food, cocktails, wine, liquors, and cigars that pays my bills. It's because I actually invest in myself OUTSIDE OF WORK that I have a distributor sponsoring me for my somm exams.

What have you done? Stagnated at a pizza joint for 9 years. No one is impressed.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Wow. That was a really good slam post!

Hell yeah girl you brought me down!

drat that was good!

Basically no one should ever work somewhere and feel appreciated!

My post was a vent. That was it. Jesus.

Also it's funny to me that you have had multiple jobs and call me out lol.

:nyd:

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

drat that was good!

A man and his dog, the post.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Secret Spoon posted:

A man and his dog, the post.

It's pretty impressive how fast he went from loving his job and not wanting to leave it even if he could make more money because it was so awesome and he basically ran the front of the house to this.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

drat that was good!

Nice meltdown. :lol:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Can I rescind my post?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

drat that was good!

You are dumb, both with regard to the service industry and football. Way to hang onto a position for 9 years so poorly that you've been bypassed for a promotion off of entry level.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Manuel Calavera posted:

poo poo man, that sucks to hear especially after seeing all your other posts. Try hospitals too, I'm working one now and it's good, solid, consistent work.

Yeah it's whatever though. I start my fall semester at culinary school in 2 weeks so I'm not even sure if they would have kept me on even though I was willing to work Fridays, Saturdays and holidays. I'd be interested in hospitals and hotels but I feel like my criminal record would hold me back in that area. I feel like this is a good opportunity to work for some smaller, more creative restaurants before I have to really figure something less risky out. Either way I'm taking this as a lesson and I am still 100% committed to working in this industry. I got my unemployment claim mailed out already btw.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

AYYYYY LMAO

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
If somewhere is comfortable and pays the bills to allow you to be self sufficient, there's nothing wrong with staying there for 9 years. I wish I stayed at one of my old diners still, because now regrets fill me like sand in these clams that take forever to clean, and nobody tells me how to clean them quicker, so what the hell am I supposed to do? Nobody even showed me how to do this, but on the other hand, if you've been in the same position at the same place for nine years, and it's not "the top guy" or close to it, the managers don't see you as a reliable old hand they can count on when the pressure's bearing down, they see you as a weird gently caress-up who's too scared or lazy to quit no matter what happens.

e: i mean for little family operations and stuff, not hotels, where you can gladly stay forever, because it's humane most of the time.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Simoom posted:

regrets fill me like sand in these clams that take forever to clean, and nobody tells me how to clean them quicker, so what the hell am I supposed to do?

They just need to loosen up a little, buy 'em a drink. Maybe a massage?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

At two years* in a position someplace I start aggressively pursuing advancement while also scouting out new jobs. Even if I'm comfortable I don't want to stagnate, and there's always new stuff to learn, new skills to hone.

*adjusted up or down based on how quickly poo poo's been changing prior.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah it's whatever though. I start my fall semester at culinary school in 2 weeks so I'm not even sure if they would have kept me on even though I was willing to work Fridays, Saturdays and holidays. I'd be interested in hospitals and hotels but I feel like my criminal record would hold me back in that area. I feel like this is a good opportunity to work for some smaller, more creative restaurants before I have to really figure something less risky out. Either way I'm taking this as a lesson and I am still 100% committed to working in this industry. I got my unemployment claim mailed out already btw.

Criminal record isn't going to hinder much in kitchens, imo. I'd at least interview you for sure. poo poo, if you were in Austin, I'd tell you to come in for an interview right the gently caress now, because I need cooks.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Criminal record isn't going to hinder much in kitchens, imo. I'd at least interview you for sure. poo poo, if you were in Austin, I'd tell you to come in for an interview right the gently caress now, because I need cooks.

Alright brb jumping in my Camry to drive from Sacramento to Austin right now, gonna grab a pack of smokes first

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

poo poo, I have a record can I come work for you? I'm already a hotel prep/cocktails bitch and Houston loving sucks.

I just finished a banquet shift where I peeled, deveined, and prepped 150lbs of shrimp for shrimp cocktails. Almost all the plates came back with the shrimp uneaten because gently caress POLITICIAN'S WIVES.

Tomorrow I get to make enough mini quiches to feed an army. Bet they'll all end up in the dumpster (that's what we call Manny the dishpit guy) too.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I feel like my criminal record would hold me back in that area.

Can't hurt to try though! Especially with that Exec reference, and going to school. Those can be seen as good signs towards self improvement.

Speaking of. Goddamn this current job is crazy in a good way. The entirety of the 'Nutrition Services' department is something like 70 people. That includes management, dieticians, "ambassadors" which are the people who deliver food to patient rooms, dish room, cashiers, etc. People are friendly, within the department, as well as visitors and other hospital staff. And even at it's busiest, it's "as bad" as a slow-ish night at my last job which was an upscale Applebee's essentially. I'm making more starting than I was after 5 years at the grocery store job for less stress, plus a dollar more an hour on the weekends. AND I'm already accruing PTO which is nuts. I'll have enough in a month to use for most of a vacation early in September. And I'm getting benefits starting next month as well.

Oh, and I'm a 'Relief Cook' which means I'm learning pretty much every station up front, and the room service line in a week or two, so I can fill in wherever they need coverage. It's pretty nice all around.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 7, 2015

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

drat that was good!

this is a good and strategic post for a poster to make under your circumstances, gj posting, keep it up, I like where you're headed, you've got a handle on this thing

When I went in yesterday to pick up my final check my executive handed me my payroll check and then slipped me a handwritten envelope under the table with $100 cash and a note that I could use him as a reference any time. He very badly didn't want to fire me. Instead of being an rear end in a top hat about it I shook his hand and thanked him for the opportunity that he gave me.

it sounds like you did good, but just FYI, your decision is always the proper one w/rt work imho. there is absolutely no circumstance where being an rear end in a top hat will net you anything professionally. I could fill 100 page e/n thread with the poo poo I have eaten in my professional life. just shrug it off - generating good will and having a good professional reputation is infinitely more important than cash in hand, or airing personal grievances. always thank anyone giving you money for the opportunity, and no matter how lovely they are, just distance your emotions and rise above. it's just business.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Thank for quoting his meltdown again, I missed the whole page somehow. This thread delivers :munch:

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Alright brb jumping in my Camry to drive from Sacramento to Austin right now, gonna grab a pack of smokes first

Are you legit in Sacramento? 'Cuz I could potentially send you places if so.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Are you legit in Sacramento? 'Cuz I could potentially send you places if so.

Yes sir. If you know the restaurant business in Sac you'd likely know exactly where I was working.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

fizzymercy posted:

poo poo, I have a record can I come work for you? I'm already a hotel prep/cocktails bitch and Houston loving sucks.

I just finished a banquet shift where I peeled, deveined, and prepped 150lbs of shrimp for shrimp cocktails. Almost all the plates came back with the shrimp uneaten because gently caress POLITICIAN'S WIVES.

Tomorrow I get to make enough mini quiches to feed an army. Bet they'll all end up in the dumpster (that's what we call Manny the dishpit guy) too.

Apply here or here

Got 1 AM and 1 PM position available. Where it asks how'd you hear about the job put "Kitchen Supervisor - Tommy".

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

mindphlux posted:

this is a good and strategic post for a poster to make under your circumstances, gj posting, keep it up, I like where you're headed, you've got a handle on this thing

it sounds like you did good, but just FYI, your decision is always the proper one w/rt work imho. there is absolutely no circumstance where being an rear end in a top hat will net you anything professionally. I could fill 100 page e/n thread with the poo poo I have eaten in my professional life. just shrug it off - generating good will and having a good professional reputation is infinitely more important than cash in hand, or airing personal grievances. always thank anyone giving you money for the opportunity, and no matter how lovely they are, just distance your emotions and rise above. it's just business.

Oh yeah I already know. I've been fired from jobs before but it's been for cause, I have never been laid off for corporate reasons. It's just a natural reaction to want to go in and pull the "gently caress you, gently caress you, gently caress YOU, you're cool, i'm out" thing but obviously very few stable people are actually gonna do that. It hurt because I knew I was doing a good job but they still had to let me go. I knew my chef didn't want to fire me and if it was up to him I would still be there so there was no reason to be an rear end in a top hat. He gave me an extra $100 and the ability to use him as a reference any time so in the end, like you said, it was all business.

I don't mean to constantly bring up the fact that I was doing prison time before I got into this field but doing 3 years in my mid 20s taught me something that I see lacking in other people my age which is respect, especially in the workplace.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Yeah, layoffs suck. Getting laid off from my cushy office job is what got me back in the kitchen, but I couldn't be happier. I'm actually looking forward to at least one double next week. The next month is going to be fun. Prep guy is on vacation next week, sous is on vacation the week after, and our exec just quit and no one knows why. (Or at least no one on the line does)

Anyone wanna be an exec? They're looking. It's a great kitchen, well run, busy, good food, great supportive FoH, the only downside is it's south Dakota.

And lol at criminal background in a kitchen. Our sous is the only one who hasn't done time. One guy's on work release from prison, I spent 4 days in jail last week and came back to just getting poo poo and being called jail bird all night

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

AA is for Quitters posted:

And lol at criminal background in a kitchen. Our sous is the only one who hasn't done time. One guy's on work release from prison, I spent 4 days in jail last week and came back to just getting poo poo and being called jail bird all night

Nah I already know I was specifically referring to working at kitchens in places like hospitals. I don't think there was a single cook in my last kitchen that didn't have a record. The last place I worked at had a "branch" located at my cities' airport. My friend is the head bartender there and asked me one night why the cooks at my downtown location where so good while the cooks at his location were terrible and incompetent as hell. I told him it was because all the good cooks couldn't pass the security clearance required to work at the airport.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Our Executive Chef and all of his favorites just walked out of the kitchen today. Apparently they're annoyed that I reported that all the low boys are running hot. We're talking room temp for HOURS shrimp, ham, parcooked bacon, and egg mixes. I wasn't gonna serve rancid meat to VIPS, but chef tried to argue with me that it would be fine just cook everything hard. I informed the Banquet Manager instead and now I get to work 2 shifts straight on a line I'm unfamiliar with. Jesus. Gonna be an interesting night.

Cuisinart, I'm applying TODAY. I mean it. Those jobs look spectacular compared to this private hotel's nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
It's so weird that people here like working for hotels, for bars it's absolutely horrible. Archaic, out of touch regulations, mediocre pay, managed by people who don't know ANYTHING about bars, bullshit restructuring at the drop of a hat due to the multinational structure... I don't know any high end bartenders that haven't been hosed over really badly by trying to dance with the devil and start/run a bev program for a hotel. The two I staged at both offered me positions and I turned them down because it was impossible to succeed.

Fundamental FOH/BOH differences, I suppose.

And yeah, having a record in a kitchen won't really hold you back unless you absolutely have to pass some kind of clearance... I don't know anyone it's held back here in SF, but I could see if you live in a smaller town where there are less opportunities. poo poo, my boyfriend has two felony assault charges and did just under a year in Rikers on one of them... He's worked at Per Se, Spotted Pig, Daniel, trained at Chateau du Mont Joli in the Dole and then at Rich Table, Coi, Benu, etc since moving to the West Coast.

• Locked thread