Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
More stats: that was Australia's worst batting performance in England for 113 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

MacDougall posted:

I assume that is code for not bowling great but I thought he was doing okay from the little I have heard?

At any rate he'd be no worse than what we're getting out of Starc.

5 matches, 17 wickets at 40-ish

e: tbf looking at Hampshire's other fast bowlers it doesn't seem to be much of a bowling pitch

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

quote:

04W24W0W04100000W40000110W020000401000W000000000101000011W0011200010040040000W1W30000000000000400000000000001004W

lol

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

Lionel Richie posted:

5 matches, 17 wickets at 40-ish

e: tbf looking at Hampshire's other fast bowlers it doesn't seem to be much of a bowling pitch

They are poor averages. How has he been in the limited overs cricket?

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
This innings was literally over in the time it took me to go through customs at the airport. Lmao

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
I've had grog bogs last longer than that innings, and not stink half as bad.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Lionel Richie posted:

Bird is playing for Hampshire this season and isn't pulling up any trees

He has been pretty crap but he has struggled with injuries. Australia has a million of that style of bowler though. FC cricket in Australia is played on pretty green wickets to help force results so that sort of plodder does ok.

I am not suggesting this but James Hopes bowling what can generously be described as medium pace was one of the leading wicket takers in FC cricket last year. This is what we are dealing with.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

MacDougall posted:

Warne, please stop saying "cherry". Just stop speaking. This is a time when commentators should just not talk for overs except for to say 9 for 50 at the end of the over.

Richie Benaud is gyrating in his grave.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

Burn Down Canberra posted:

He has been pretty crap but he has struggled with injuries. Australia has a million of that style of bowler though. FC cricket in Australia is played on pretty green wickets to help force results so that sort of plodder does ok.

I am not suggesting this but James Hopes bowling what can generously be described as medium pace was one of the leading wicket takers in FC cricket last year.

Speaking of James Hopes as a complete aside I saw him walking through a shopping centre barefoot wearing bogan fluoro with a heavily pregnant girlfriend who was also barefoot like 5 months ago.

Alternatively Hopes looks like a quintessential Aussie bogan.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Slater saying after watching that Clarke abomination "he's just not playing with any luck"

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

MacDougall posted:

They are poor averages. How has he been in the limited overs cricket?

50 over and twenty20

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

It's been an enjoyable Test Match so far imo

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

Poop

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Spedman posted:

Slater saying after watching that Clarke abomination "he's just not playing with any luck"

Yeah, if he was lucky he'd have decided to retire after the last ashes series and people wouldn't remember him as a cripple that cant bat.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

serious gaylord posted:

Yeah, if he was lucky he'd have decided to retire after the last ashes series and people wouldn't remember him as a cripple that cant bat.

You could see that's what Vaughan was thinking

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

There is a chance that the Australian side could have maybe 6-7 new players by the time the Ashes rolls back around

Rogers - retired
Warner - still around
Smith - still around
Voges - retired
Clarke - retired
Mitchell/Shaun/Watto - who the gently caress knows, none of them seem a long term solution
Nevill - still around probably
Johnson - retired
HAZE - has been disappointing but is young so still around
Starc - too poo poo for test cricket
Lyon - still around

This team is heading for some bad times ahead

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

It couldn't hurt. It's not like cricket australia is short of funds. We could also pick stump to stump trundles for England tours

we did but we dropped him for this match

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

The small comeback of Australian cricket was pretty good. Beat South Africa away, beat England 5-0 and won a world cup. Nothing to sneeze at but yeah we are heading towards another rebuilding period.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Spedman posted:

Oh that's what he said. I heard him say "he's just not playing with any back" and I wondered why the gently caress I was agreeing with Michael Slater

TimeWaster
Nov 1, 2011

Spedman posted:

He was especially arrogant to Vaughn after Vaughn described the problems with most of the Aussie batsmen's head and knee position on their strokes and then Slater interrupts him to basically say, "no, it was just tough morning conditions; none of that stuff would've helped".

I know it's been said a hundred times but it sucks listening to C9 commenters under this no criticism directive.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

TimeWaster posted:

He was especially arrogant to Vaughn after Vaughn described the problems with most of the Aussie batsmen's head and knee position on their strokes and then Slater interrupts him to basically say, "no, it was just tough morning conditions; none of that stuff would've helped".

I know it's been said a hundred times but it sucks listening to C9 commenters under this no criticism directive.

Vaughan was being very reasonable. If the roles were reversed he would have to put up with the hooting and hollering from the gang of cretins.

Like, I was watching some highlights of the world cup. Anyways I watched the Australian comeback against NZ with the sound down because I was making a phone call at the time. So this was the first time I heard to commentary. When Starc took those two wickets to make it 9 for Warne became so unbearable that I sort of...was glad NZ would win and he would be disappointed.

EDIT

I quite like Vaughan as a commentator and I wish nine would give him a permanent gig.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

England have a cave goblin opening for them and he's still looking better than any of the Aussies

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
come on england you got this

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I will piss myself laughing if England can get to the Australian total without dropping a wicket.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Windmill Hut posted:

England have a cave goblin opening for them and he's still looking better than any of the Aussies

His darkvision is perfect for English conditions.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

The small comeback of Australian cricket was pretty good. Beat South Africa away, beat England 5-0 and won a world cup. Nothing to sneeze at but yeah we are heading towards another rebuilding period.

Everybody goes on about the whitewash but beating SA 2-1 overseas was a much more impressive effort. Clarke probably played the best innings of his life in that series and Johnson was still bowling like a demon.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Scylo posted:

Prediction - Australia will be 1/348 at stumps

Good prediction but they only get 10 wickets mate, not 348

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I'm the dog on the Vitality blimp

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I regret stopping playing counter-strike for the evening holy poo poo.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

You Am I posted:

I will piss myself laughing if England can get to the Australian total without dropping a wicket.

try some pelvic floor exercises

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Seams posted:

Everybody goes on about the whitewash but beating SA 2-1 overseas was a much more impressive effort. Clarke probably played the best innings of his life in that series and Johnson was still bowling like a demon.

Some of the best tests ever played too. Real shame it was only a 3 match series really. South Africa hanging and Ryan Harris somehow finding a piece of knee cartilage to bowl out South Africa.

What a good series.

I don't mind when Australia is in these lulls. A lot of Australian fans get the shits if we aren't literally blowing teams off the park.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The guy with the Stuart Broad avatar needs to post some more

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Some of the best tests ever played too. Real shame it was only a 3 match series really. South Africa hanging and Ryan Harris somehow finding a piece of knee cartilage to bowl out South Africa.

What a good series.

I don't mind when Australia is in these lulls. A lot of Australian fans get the shits if we aren't literally blowing teams off the park.

I like this thread when england and australia are poo poo tbh.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

I like this thread when england and australia are poo poo tbh.

This series has been fantastic, both sides have been completely poo poo at various points

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

The 5-0 whitewash was a freak result really. Australia were by far the better side that series but generally the difference between the teams isn't 5-0 worth. There were a few times when Australia were in trouble but were saved by Haddin having the series of his life and then followed up by Johnson having a rare extended period of consistency.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Someone seriously predicted a 5-0 Australia result

The only problem when Australia and England suck is the peanut gallery chirping from uppity kiwis.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I like this photo, who else likes this photo?

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I tell you what lads all we've heard this year is antipodeans going on about how they're going to hammer England and how funny it's going to be, when's it gonna start like?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I was saying England were good even before the NZ series. :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Lionel Richie posted:

The 5-0 whitewash was a freak result really. Australia were by far the better side that series but generally the difference between the teams isn't 5-0 worth. There were a few times when Australia were in trouble but were saved by Haddin having the series of his life and then followed up by Johnson having a rare extended period of consistency.

This is from memory but Carberry dropped Haddin at the Adelaide oval and he went on to score a century. Then Johnson bowled a once in a lifetime spell of fast bowling on a completely dead wicket.

There were little moments in the Adelaide, WACA and MCG test where England could have done better. The bowlers completely lost it bowling to Smith and Haddin at the WACA after tearing through the top order they started bowling short for some reason.

Cook felt the pressure and I think took Warne's heckling to heart. He basically gave David Warner a free century to bowl at Clarke at the Gabba who then...scored a century. Still Cook has really captained well this series so he should tell Warne to go gently caress himself.