Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
"Stupid-rear end fart-saving carpet store motherfucker"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Katana Gomai posted:

I don't watch sci-fi so it was new to me :shobon:

Fair enough, it's just that "What if your life is actually just a dream" thing really is incredible common. Star Trek, Matrix, Total Recall, Inception, pretty much every recent science fiction/fantasy show has an episode were the hero wakes up in an insane asylum or hospital and is told that all the events of their series up to this point have actually been part of their hallucination/ coma fantasy and that they need to let it go, other wise they are lost forever or will die, only for them to go back to the series' regular setting with the episode ending on a somewhat vague notion of uneasiness whether or not they made the right choice.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Such as

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfdEaK8h2XE

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I wonder just how long Rick's been a dimension-hopping adventurer. Like, was he born on Earth to regular parents, or did he grow up in an environment where alternate universes and aliens and poo poo were an everyday thing?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Roy is my single favorite concept/gag from the new season, of which there have been plenty of amazing gags. Just the idea that in this hosed up universe they have the technology to allow you live a literally entire different lifetime with a different family and hopes and dreams, and they use this technology for an arcade game at Space Dave and Busters? loving incredible.

Where's my wife?!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Wait, so, does that mean he sucked his own dick?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Wait, so, does that mean he sucked his own dick?

DRAMATIC MUSICAL STING

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Pakled posted:

I wonder just how long Rick's been a dimension-hopping adventurer. Like, was he born on Earth to regular parents, or did he grow up in an environment where alternate universes and aliens and poo poo were an everyday thing?

I just figured Rick was a genius who invented his own dimension hopping technology independently, giving him access to a wider world where it was commonplace.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Applewhite posted:

I just figured Rick was a genius who invented his own dimension hopping technology independently, giving him access to a wider world where it was commonplace.

This was my read too.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if it tied into his backstory directly somehow. Like say the reason Rick has a rapport with Morty is that Rick Potion No. 9 isn't the first time he's bailed out of a ruined dimension. Maybe in his native universe he screwed something up real bad and the only people he managed to save were himself and baby Morty, and the guilt from that gently caress-up it what drove him to reconnect with his family.

I dunno, just spit-ballin' but considering how often it's come up I'd expect dimension hopping to play ongoing part in Rick's angst.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I laughed at this.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh yeah and Morty's mom being a horse surgeon is extra hosed up since Rick is her dad. He probably encouraged her to play with her toys the same way he does and at a young age.

So by the time she is 8 years old she has like ~5 dead horses laying around in various buckets and freezers and by 12 she has successfully reconnected all the parts into her very own new horse, by 13 she figured out how to make it a Unicorn. Rick would loving love that.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I always assume rick's back story is exactly equal but legally distinct from the back story of doc brown from back to the future.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I always assume rick's back story is exactly equal but legally distinct from the back story of doc brown from back to the future.

He hit his head on the toilet and when he woke up he drew plans for a portal gun.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Yes, but also he agreed to make a nuclear bomb for Libyan terrorists operating in the mainland US. As it were.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
TerroRICKs, please.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

so one of the Roy choices that Morty makes and Rick chides him for his going back to the carpet store. Does this mean that up to the cancer point players can't change what Roy will do? Will Roy always be "the Rocket"?

I wonder what changes Roy 2 would offer :v:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I'm pretty sure that Rick was commenting on Morty's unique experience and choice to return to the carpet store instead of it being a rule of the game, since when Rick was playing, Roy appeared to be a teenager running through the woods burning his social security card.

Roy 2: Dave seemed like a much more relaxed experience, lived on the couch. A goon life, if you will.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Aces High posted:

so one of the Roy choices that Morty makes and Rick chides him for his going back to the carpet store. Does this mean that up to the cancer point players can't change what Roy will do? Will Roy always be "the Rocket"?

I wonder what changes Roy 2 would offer :v:

You can do whatever you want in Roy. Rick was making fun of Morty because his life was nearly taken by cancer, and instead of getting a second wind and seizing life, he went back to work at a stupid carpet store.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

Last Chance posted:

Perhaps not everyone pours over science fiction and TV Tropes enough to understand every homage and to call them tropes. Just spit balling here.

Captain Picard had a nice round of Roy on that TNG episode where he learns to play a weird flute

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

No Luck Needed posted:

Captain Picard had a nice round of Roy on that TNG episode where he learns to play a weird flute

O'Brien did the same thing in DS9, but he sucked at it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm guessing sessions of Roy are semi-randomized too, you probably don't get cancer every time.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

Irish Joe posted:

O'Brien did the same thing in DS9, but he sucked at it.

lol nice

and Chakotay won his round on a 2 parter for Voyager

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

JT Jag posted:

I'm guessing sessions of Roy are semi-randomized too, you probably don't get cancer every time.

In the same way life is randomized. Roy would always have a genetic disposition for cancer, but it's possible to not trigger it maybe.

I think the whole point of Roy is that everyone gets to live out a life from the exact same starting point, and it's entirely their decisions which affect their high score.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
Next AGDQ 100% Roy speedrun.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Immediately followed by a WoW 100% speedrun

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Ezzer posted:

Immediately followed by a WoW 100% speedrun

As hilarious as that is, I wonder how long a WoW Any% run would take.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Squall posted:

If you count reaching level 100 as the end, then 14 hours seems like the minimum. If you count beating the most recent raid at the highest difficulty as the end of the game, then add ~2 hours on top of that since, assuming there isn't any attunement quest that bars you from entering for a couple days/weeks (I haven't played in a couple months so I wouldn't know), it's just a matter of having an experienced group to carry you.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 6, 2015

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Squall posted:

Wanna marathon that WoW all achievements run.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Stealthed Zombie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzyUcXR05Z4

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Stealthed Zombie posted:

The truest Roy speedrun: his mom chooses abortion

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Buzkashi posted:

does that count as a TAS

Grizzlegrax
Mar 21, 2013

:ghost: Bustin' Makes Me :ghost:
:ghost: Feel Good
:ghost:

Buzkashi posted:

Katana Gomai posted:

does that count as a TAS

:perfect:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Katana Gomai posted:

does that count as a TAS

Holy poo poo.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Katana Gomai posted:

does that count as a TAS

:drat:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Katana Gomai posted:

does that count as a TAS

Jesus christ, shut this thread down, it's not getting better than this

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:robble:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Katana Gomai posted:

does that count as a TAS

Does a staircase count as a tool?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

M_Gargantua posted:

Wow... After all the adversity the Stair People have had to endure we are still doing this??

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

M_Gargantua posted:

Depends. Are you protected?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Cellphone! No! Rotary! And payphone on half.

• Locked thread