Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Counter point: Contax t2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

TheLastManStanding posted:

If you're paying more than $10 for a 35mm point&shoot you've done something wrong. Here's a Canon Sure Shot for $10 that does everything that other camera does and more.

Sweet

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

TheLastManStanding posted:

If you're paying more than $10 for a 35mm point&shoot you've done something wrong. Here's a Canon Sure Shot for $10 that does everything that other camera does and more.

There's plenty of great 35mm P&S that cost more and are worth more than that. Like the Olympus XA series, Canon QL-17s, etc.

On another note - what happens if you cancel the card that's paying for your monthly Creative Cloud subscription, considering there's a yearly commitment?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Radbot posted:

There's plenty of great 35mm P&S that cost more and are worth more than that. Like the Olympus XA series, Canon QL-17s, etc.

Both of your examples are rangefinders, not point & shoots.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
35mm point-and-shoots are (with the exception of some true stand-out cameras) semi-disposable fun. Buy that Pentax if you can shrug and write off the cost as a trivial nothingness. For me, that threshold is around $10, so that Pentax ain't for me. Whatever 35mm p&s you end up with, batteries are ALWAYS something you buy online - never buy a battery in a bricks-and-mortar place unless you're on vacation.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

MrBlandAverage posted:

Both of your examples are rangefinders, not point & shoots.

XA3 is point and shoot. You can zone focus but really it is a point and shoot.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

deaders posted:

XA3 is point and shoot. You can zone focus but really it is a point and shoot.

You're right. I read "XA" and not "XA series" :shobon:

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010

Radbot posted:

On another note - what happens if you cancel the card that's paying for your monthly Creative Cloud subscription, considering there's a yearly commitment?
After the first automatic payment doesn't go through Adobe will send an email indicating that it didn't go through and provide instructions on how to update your payment info.

You can preempt that and change it somewhere in your setting, I believe.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Does anyone have any experience with any print on demand zine publishing services? I'd like to put together a collection of some of my work in something that's not overly garish and do it in a way that won't leave me completely destitute.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

elgarbo posted:

in a way that won't leave me completely destitute.

Don't sound like a zine to me. :colbert:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

elgarbo posted:

Does anyone have any experience with any print on demand zine publishing services? I'd like to put together a collection of some of my work in something that's not overly garish and do it in a way that won't leave me completely destitute.

I use Magcloud (bought by Blurb now). It's fine. But I just make a little zine and sell like 20 copies so I don't really have any high expectations.

You could find a cheaper way of doing it if you just wanted a traditional zine, cheap paper/b&w, that sort of thing. Magcloud is more polished, it's full colour and can have perfect binding.

Edit: I see now that this is the Photography thread, so chances are you don't want to go the cheap route lol.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Is there any reason to shoot in Adobe RGB if you're not printing, and is there any reason to shoot in sRGB if you do intent to print?

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

triplexpac posted:

I use Magcloud (bought by Blurb now). It's fine. But I just make a little zine and sell like 20 copies so I don't really have any high expectations.

You could find a cheaper way of doing it if you just wanted a traditional zine, cheap paper/b&w, that sort of thing. Magcloud is more polished, it's full colour and can have perfect binding.

Edit: I see now that this is the Photography thread, so chances are you don't want to go the cheap route lol.

Rad, I'll check Magcloud out. Thanks!

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I've used magcloud and it's more "magazine" quality than presentation quality; the paper is thin and the print quality doesn't exactly pop. Depends on what you're looking for I guess, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to try out Magcloud. IIRC it was something like 20 cents per page and I vaguely remember something about free samples and not needing to order a bunch at a time.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

Radbot posted:

Is there any reason to shoot in Adobe RGB if you're not printing, and is there any reason to shoot in sRGB if you do intent to print?

My understanding is that sRGB is a smaller colourspace (more lossy?)

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Radbot posted:

Would you show Helen Keller a black and white print? More information is always better in photography.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Leviathor posted:

More information is always better in photography.
By that argument you'd shoot RAW and not worry about color space settings while shooting in the first place.

edit: Also unless you've gone out of your way to ensure that your workflow is set up properly for Adobe RGB (including calibrated pro monitors that support that color gamut), just stick to sRGB. Hobbyists really shouldn't worry about it and just work in sRGB -- anywhere you post photos will just convert to sRGB anyway and leave you wondering why your photos look weird. Leave Adobe RGB to professionals who actually know why they're using it.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 6, 2015

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

rawrr posted:

My understanding is that sRGB is a smaller colourspace (more lossy?)

Not more lossy, literally less colors. You will have more saturated colors (especially in the greens), just like an srgb photo appears more saturated than when converting it to CMYK.

The problem is that very vew people will be able to see your amazing photo of a summer lawn as you intended, because most people (99.9%) have srgb monitors. And when you print, it will convert to CMYK which gives you even less saturation.

Working in adobe rgb will give you some more headroom in the gradients etc before converting it down, just like doing gradients in 16bits/channel or 32bits/channel before dropping down to 8bits. (but like mentioned above you will need a very expensive monitor, have it calibrated and maintained properly and know how to work with color and printer profiles)

Edit: I guess the advantages of taking pictures in srgb is that it's smaller in file size if you take jpeg shots, but you should be using RAW anyway which will contain all the color info. Another advantage is saving a little time by not having to convert to srgb when you output your jpegs.

KinkyJohn fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Aug 6, 2015

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

KinkyJohn posted:

Not more lossy, literally less colors. You will have more saturated colors (especially in the greens), just like an srgb photo appears more saturated than when converting it to CMYK.

They both have the same number of colours, the difference is the range that they can cover.

But as you say, best to stick with sRGB unless you have your own CMS workflow and printer.

junidog
Feb 17, 2004

KinkyJohn posted:

you should be using RAW anyway which will contain all the color info.

How does this work? Doesn't RAW still have to record colors in a digital format?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
It is kinda weird - I understand that color space shouldn't affect RAW files, but identical images definitely look different when shot in the different color spaces, even in RAW. I'm guessing this is because my selected color space is attached as metadata to the file, and then ACR/C1/etc. chooses that one first (but you can change it after the fact)?

On another note - how do folks around here calibrate their monitors? Anyone using a fully color managed workflow, or are they more like me and get Costco to print a few versions and I just choose the one I like the most?

Radbot fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 6, 2015

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Radbot posted:

On another note - how do folks around here calibrate their monitors? Anyone using a fully color managed workflow, or are they more like me and get Costco to print a few versions and I just choose the one I like the most?

I used ansel autisms' Colormunki Display and print at home using a manufacturer-profiled paper.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Guys just think of color space as a hat your raw files wear that you can take off and put a new one on whenever you want.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

junidog posted:

How does this work? Doesn't RAW still have to record colors in a digital format?

Not really, because the sensor data itself doesn't contain any color - sensors capture light, they have a CFA over them to let different amounts of different colored light through to each pixel. RAW has to go through a demosaic'ing process in the converter in order to average the data together and generate a color image. So the demosaic algorithm, camera calibration profile, color space used, etc will all change those colors in their own way.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Thoogsby posted:

Guys just think of color space as a hat your raw files wear that you can take off and put a new one on whenever you want.

Except if you try to change your hat the wrong way your pictures look all funky like somebody stole your hat and replaced it with a pink sparkly fedora

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

rawrr posted:

I've used magcloud and it's more "magazine" quality than presentation quality; the paper is thin and the print quality doesn't exactly pop. Depends on what you're looking for I guess, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to try out Magcloud. IIRC it was something like 20 cents per page and I vaguely remember something about free samples and not needing to order a bunch at a time.

Oh yeah, I definitely wouldn't use it if you wanted pristine prints of all your photos. It is what it is. If you want a somewhat cheap magazine with your photos in it to show people, it's great for that. If you want something to really show off your images professionally, investing in a photo book or something might be better.

It really depends on what you want to spend and what quality you're expecting.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

MrBlandAverage posted:

I used ansel autisms' Colormunki Display and print at home using a manufacturer-profiled paper.

Wow, X-Rite allows that? How cool. I know there's at least one other display calibration option out there that involves some sort of DRM/physical dongle that precludes sharing.

I wonder if anyone's got one they'd let me borrow for a week (I'd donate in return!).

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

KinkyJohn posted:

Not more lossy, literally less colors.
I think that should be 'less range of colours'. The number of distinct colours possible is a function of the bit-depth of the image; so 8bits per channel means you can represent 2^(8*3) or 16,777,216 colour variations. With sRGB the 16million colours are more closely packed together in the middle of the 'total colour spectrum', where-as for something like AdobeRGB those 16 million points are further spread-out. So while AdobeRGB offers the benefit of a wider gamut, you are in theory trading it for a slightly coarser gradients of colours within the gamut. Switch to 16bits/channel in Photoshop and you get to play with 68.7 billion colours within the same gamut bounds.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:
Is there a best/easiest way to take photos of a store/shop front without having reflections of the surroundings in it? In this case it's a beauty salon and the street facing side is basically just huge windows, located at a moderately busy intersection facing diagonally across it. The ideal photo would also show the interior.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Caryna posted:

Is there a best/easiest way to take photos of a store/shop front without having reflections of the surroundings in it? In this case it's a beauty salon and the street facing side is basically just huge windows, located at a moderately busy intersection facing diagonally across it. The ideal photo would also show the interior.

I think a circular polarizer would help cut down on reflections on glass

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Caryna posted:

Polarizer

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Caryna posted:

Take it at night when the lights are on.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
Cheers guys. Guess I'll just bite the bullet and replace that Hoya HD filter I lost recently during a house move.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Throw a brick through the window. For art.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
Take multiple shots and use the parallax effect to algorithmically remove the reflection layer.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/7...your-photos.htm

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

zeroprime posted:

Take multiple shots and use the parallax effect to algorithmically remove the reflection layer.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/7...your-photos.htm

Think it's gotta be a video, right? 4K is gonna be awesome for this.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.

junidog posted:

While looking for info about Capture One I came across a great explanation of what RAW actually is and what the data looks like (more or less) and why the same images look different depending on the software used to load them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjtWf9vIiIg&t=5m53s

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Colors!*

*Can't compose for poo poo.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Radbot posted:

Think it's gotta be a video, right? 4K is gonna be awesome for this.

I think it is programmed to process video containers/codecs, but snapping several shots in sequence would also allow the same type of processing with a series of still images. Encode them as several frames of video with a lossless codec and throw it into an avi container.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

junidog
Feb 17, 2004

Caryna posted:

While looking for info about Capture One I came across a great explanation of what RAW actually is and what the data looks like (more or less) and why the same images look different depending on the software used to load them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjtWf9vIiIg&t=5m53s

Thanks, that was really good.