Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like the story I've heard about one of Kirby's Fourth World ideas he never got to use, namely that Superman would eventually fight Darkseid and it would turn out that Darkseid is actually weak; he's all smoke and mirrors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

I like the story I've heard about one of Kirby's Fourth World ideas he never got to use, namely that Superman would eventually fight Darkseid and it would turn out that Darkseid is actually weak; he's all smoke and mirrors.

That doesn't sound far-fetched and would explain a few odd scenes. Not that there are non-odd Fourth World scenes.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rhyno posted:

There have numerous in story moments where Thanos has become more powerful though.

Thanos Quest started off with Thanos getting a big power boost from Death and deciding that wasn't enough to kill half the universe, so he needed a sparkly glove to complete the outfit.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

prefect posted:

Thanos Quest started off with Thanos getting a big power boost from Death and deciding that wasn't enough to kill half the universe, so he needed a sparkly glove to complete the outfit.

Thanos is just an 80's kid at heart. We all wanted to be MJ.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

10 Beers posted:

Mary Jane?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

10 Beers posted:

I wanted to be Max Headroom.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Nah. She didn't have a cool muti-zipper3d red leather jacket.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Well, if I had any artistic ability, I'd be making fan art of MJ dressed as MJ right now.

You decided which MJ is which.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

10 Beers posted:

Nah. She didn't have a cool muti-zipper3d red leather jacket.
I am quite sure she did.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Michael Jordan dressed as Milla Jovovich?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Phylodox posted:

Out of Fifth Element, obviously.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Uthor posted:

Out of Fifth Element, obviously.

I didn't think it needed to be said.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Phylodox posted:

What madness have I wrought?! :stare:

wizardstick
Apr 27, 2013

Disharmony posted:

In Preacher, who was Jonathan supposed to be? Up to now I still have no idea what Cassidy meant when he said "You're loving dead!"

It has been a long time since I read Preacher, was Jonathan one of the Anne Rice vampires?

Guessing without context Cassidy is just making a threat as in 'you are dead because I'm about to beat you to death'

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

wizardstick posted:

It has been a long time since I read Preacher, was Jonathan one of the Anne Rice vampires?

Guessing without context Cassidy is just making a threat as in 'you are dead because I'm about to beat you to death'

Yeah, that was pretty much it. I believe Jonathan was the lovely poet he made eat his own poetry in the Blood & Whiskey special.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who are the six people smarter than Amadeus Cho?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

Who are the six people smarter than Amadeus Cho?

Reed Richards, Dr. Doom, Bruce Banner, 3 other guys.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's no set list but 3 of them are Banner, Richards and Pym.

And also it's 7.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, Pym claimed that with him back on Earth from Skrull captivity, Cho is the 8th, but that doesn't really track, since Skrull Pym *was* Pym as far as everyone was aware, so the list is something like:

1. Reed Richards
2. Doctor Doom
3. Hank Pym
4. Bruce Banner
5. Tony Stark
6. T'Challa
7. Amadeus Cho

(Everything after 2 is just placed there randomly)

EDIT: If you want to accept Pym's claim as accurate, then slot in Leader, Beast, or Xavier in there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

There's no set list but 3 of them are Banner, Richards and Pym.

And also it's 7.

I thought he was the seventh smartest.

Is Doom considered to be the #2 smart guy?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

Doom is definitely #2, and Stark wouldn't have been on that list before his movies made so much money. :colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

There's one comic where Pym comes back to Earth from being in Skrull jail and says it now makes Cho the 8th.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

Doom's intelligence is consistently portrayed as very slightly less than Reed's, yeah.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Doom's intelligence is consistently portrayed as very slightly less than Reed's, yeah.

DOOM IS SECOND TO NONE.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

There's one comic where Pym comes back to Earth from being in Skrull jail and says it now makes Cho the 8th.

This is dumb, though, because he would have been counted anyway since everyone thought Skrull Pym was Pym.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We all forgot Valeria, who is either #1 or #2 depending on what age Valeria it is.

Endless Mike posted:

This is dumb, though, because he would have been counted anyway since everyone thought Skrull Pym was Pym.

Yeah I don't know the context. Maybe it was a joke and Wikipedia took it too seriously?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Endless Mike posted:

That is just Richards propaganda :doom:
Pym is also the scientist supreme so of course he is high on the list

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

We all forgot Valeria, who is either #1 or #2 depending on what age Valeria it is.

:jerkbag: Yeah sure Reed, whatever you say.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What about the head of AIM, or Wizard or Doctor Octopus? Doc Ock completely owned Tony Stark and made him retco...I mean erase a bunch of his past, basically committing suicide.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bobkatt013 posted:

That is just Richards propaganda :doom:
Pym is also the scientist supreme so of course he is high on the list

Pretty sure that was just Loki loving with Pym.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's something Richards and Doom agree on.

Doom.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

What about the head of AIM, or Wizard or Doctor Octopus? Doc Ock completely owned Tony Stark and made him retco...I mean erase a bunch of his past, basically committing suicide.

I think that happened after the mind wipe, but I'm not sure.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, what you have to remember is that Amadeus's "Seventh Smartest Person on Earth!" designation was from a soap company, so anyone above him would have to be *reasonably* within the public conscious. Given this, Valeria was probably not one the six people they consider smarter, though, yeah, she almost certainly is.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Endless Mike posted:

Well, what you have to remember is that Amadeus's "Seventh Smartest Person on Earth!" designation was from a soap company, so anyone above him would have to be *reasonably* within the public conscious. Given this, Valeria was probably not one the six people they consider smarter, though, yeah, she almost certainly is.

Wasn't the soap company's game show ultimately a setup to get ahold of Cho anyway?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Endless Mike posted:

Doom
Doom
Doom
Doom
Valeria
Doom
Amadeus

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

And beyond that it's not like they made a list when they wrote it. It was just a little hook for the character.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
True, but it's a hook that immediately makes you go "Who are the other six?"

Like, at least when Mr. Terrific called himself the World's Third Smartest Man, you knew it was a concession to the fact that Batman and Luthor are never going to be less popular than him. Amadeus probably would've overtaken Pym if they'd let him.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I don't think Valeria's super-intelligence had manifested when Cho got his title, so he'd have been dropped to 8th when she took the #1 spot and pushed everyone else down one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lol at the idea of Batman being one of the smartest people in the world. Guy has trouble figuring out the Riddler sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down

wizardstick posted:

That's Eccarius.

Jonathan is the leader of Les Enfants who got his fingers shot and uses a katana to decapitate Cassidy.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Yeah, that was pretty much it. I believe Jonathan was the lovely poet he made eat his own poetry in the Blood & Whiskey special.

Roger was the poet who left long before that confrontation took place.