Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Zand posted:

but people that complain about poo poo like not being able to do a combo will just complain about something else once combos are handed to them. these are bads, and they are called bads for a reason. they will always find something to excuse their poor performance. catering to trash tier bads brings poo poo players to the table that wont stick around or ever be worth poo poo.

lol

Zand posted:

it doesn't really matter what they do, anyway, because RT is just a lovely alpha/tech demo of ggpo3 they threw together so they can attract an angel investor, cash out and be done with it.

correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Is this a toxx or something, dude

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
He's making the best posts in the entire thread, I'm not sure what you're on about

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
If tabs ever gets banned for posting cool gifs in fighting game threads I don't want to live anymore.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Zand posted:

it doesn't really matter what they do, anyway, because RT is just a lovely alpha/tech demo of ggpo3 they threw together so they can attract an angel investor, cash out and be done with it.

Radiant already acquired like $5 million in funding.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Trykt posted:

He's making the best posts in the entire thread, I'm not sure what you're on about

Oh, I know it's cool to be the detached, devil may careless goon, but all he does nowadays is post DMC gifs and nothing else, so I'm just assuming he ate a toxx.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I expect my worse than a grandpa reactions will be my biggest hurdle even if I eventually grasp all the theory.

That and air juggles involving more than one hit. Just can't do em even after spending a half hour with various characters in the trainer the trainer (Well that dauntless bounced me around like a pinball. clearly it shouldn't be too hard to.. to... gently caress).

Both of these things I have the cold comfort of knowing it's my own drat fault :downs:

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
People complaining about links do realize that you aren't trying to hit 1/12 of a second on reaction, right? That's nontrivial, but it doesn't take a timing god to space your buttons appropriately.

Training mode is in the game for a reason.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I'm terrible.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Nativity In Black posted:

People complaining

Not sure "people" exist, there was a person that apparently also will never be able to play any musical instrument or navigate an automated phone tree before it hangs up for inactivity.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I think I'm getting the hang of this:

Also I did this to this talos twice in a row. After the first time I would knock him down in the round he didn't know what to do because I just kept getting hits every time he got up. He never returned a hit in either round.

Praxis19
Nov 4, 2009

No justice no peace ACAB
I finally got some games in tonight as well, went at least even I think playing exclusively as Crow. I think I might try someone else, though, he's way too popular online. Did land some great combos, seriously the execution in this game is so easy.

Anyone have some advice on what to do when you knock someone down right in front of you, like with cr.M xx beta special (core puncture)? If they don't quick rise I get great oki with a charged disc, but if they do quick rise I've gotten thrown out of anything I do. Should I just throw an uncharged disc and back off?

Crow's super cancelled with kinetic advance seems really good, too. Won several rounds by knocking someone trying to jump it right back into the super.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Can I beg for keys here? I would love to give this alpha a try :)

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

SperginMcBadposter posted:

After the first time I would knock him down in the round he didn't know what to do because I just kept getting hits every time he got up. He never returned a hit in either round.

Even in this game
People just cant understand
Blocking on wakeup

In all seriousness, do people wonder why they get hit? Do people think there is always a "right choice" to wake-up with through all scenarios?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

People don't, generally, like being passive.

Hell, the idea that "do nothing" is actually an option isn't even going to occur to plenty of people.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
My "Right" choice on wakeup is "Try do the thing that stops what kicked my rear end last time"

This tends to be the wrong answer most of the time, unless it is against a player that makes me look like a genius.

"Well, the first five times I ate a DP getting up. Clearly now that I've started blocking and grabbing them out of the air six times, they will learn just as fast as I do to try something else... or not?"

More usually it's "Well I'll try blocking-*thrown* okay I guess they won't try to throw TWICE in a row*thrown* tech out of throw? *smashed by special* kinetic guard? *fuses into one being with Crow, loses due to clock*

Nice to see they patched that last one.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

The Gorp posted:

Even in this game
People just cant understand
Blocking on wakeup

In all seriousness, do people wonder why they get hit? Do people think there is always a "right choice" to wake-up with through all scenarios?

I've been having a bit of a difficult understanding this myself. I think the biggest issue is that when you are standing and perfectly fine, and you block, your character starts leaning backwards and clearly is 'beginning' to block
Holding backwards and down or backwards while you wake up is not something that has any immediate obvious effect, and so if you're expecting visual information to queue you on what the right thing to do is, it can be very misleading?

Maybe i'm misunderstanding this stuff. But basically it doesn't seem obvious to me to hold back to block when you are waking up because your character is on the ground so it feels obvious that nothing would happen until you were in a state that you could actually block, which would be 'after standing up and getting a second to recover'. if I'm understanding correcltly, what you're SUPPOSED to do is block or crouch-block as you get up so that the first attack they hit you with after you wake up is blocked instead of keeping you in a sleep state? And this works even if you have no time to stand up again and actually see your character 'block'?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
tabs you are the hero we deserve

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Lavender Philtrum posted:

if I'm understanding correcltly, what you're SUPPOSED to do is block or crouch-block as you get up so that the first attack they hit you with after you wake up is blocked instead of keeping you in a sleep state? And this works even if you have no time to stand up again and actually see your character 'block'?

That's right. There's no startup time to blocking - if you're in a state where you can control your character at all, you can block. As soon as your character finishes their wakeup animation and can be hit by an attack, they can also block, so the only reason not to hold back or downback on wakeup is if you're expecting something that beats it (crossup, throw)

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Lavender Philtrum posted:

if I'm understanding correcltly, what you're SUPPOSED to do is block or crouch-block as you get up so that the first attack they hit you with after you wake up is blocked instead of keeping you in a sleep state? And this works even if you have no time to stand up again and actually see your character 'block'?

if you want to block an attack you have to block the attack by blocking when they attack you with their attack.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

HMS Boromir posted:

That's right. There's no startup time to blocking - if you're in a state where you can control your character at all, you can block. As soon as your character finishes their wakeup animation and can be hit by an attack, they can also block, so the only reason not to hold back or downback on wakeup is if you're expecting something that beats it (crossup, throw)

Do you have to stop holding a direction before you can stop a throw?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
No, but anything you do that stops a throw will also prevent you from blocking, for obvious reasons.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Do you have to stop holding a direction before you can stop a throw?

No

also, heres some unsolicited advice

just play, and play a lot, and test out everything you ponder and wonder about in game. this will make you more familiar with system mechanics and soon the game will feel natural to you. this is also how to effectively learn matchups, through experimentation, like try everything you can think of. The process of feeling out what works and what doesnt work yourself as opposed to just reading about what works is what gives your knowledge the context to make it valuable

Dragas
Apr 21, 2010

something something polish lithuania commonwealth will rise from the ashes

Zand posted:

if you want to block an attack you have to block the attack by blocking when they attack you with their attack.

I don't think this is right, op. Needs more testing.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Getting your butt whooped by the same thing over and over?

There aren't any real stakes here, so get retarded, try everything, try everything with slightly different timings, do utterly stupid poo poo that you don't think will work anyway just to see if it does.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Zand posted:

No

also, heres some unsolicited advice

just play, and play a lot, and test out everything you ponder and wonder about in game. this will make you more familiar with system mechanics and soon the game will feel natural to you. this is also how to effectively learn matchups, through experimentation, like try everything you can think of. The process of feeling out what works and what doesnt work yourself as opposed to just reading about what works is what gives your knowledge the context to make it valuable

Best post in this whole thread.

Don't even learn any combos, pick Chel and jump into matchmaking, learn how your normals control the space and what the safe ranges are for your fireball, AA with DP and neutral jump normals, punish dumb poo poo with spiny kick into sweep and do a throw/sweep/block mixup on their wakeup. That's enough for silver+ because people playing this are absolutely terrible.

Dazh
Jul 9, 2008
I made it to Silver V with Dauntless without ever doing a link. Now I do them, though. I'm still just as lovely, just with better execution.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Vlad is bad, especially against opponents who know where he can shove highs and lows.
As one who recently got to legend tier, I can say with a bit of confidence that high level Vlad play is just jumping straight up or backwards and altering your jump angle with jets. Vlad relies on tricking the opponent into moving forward of their own volition more than anything.

His mixups have no variation at all. The scariest thing you can do is throw people.
H goes into jetcancel C only, no lows to change it up.
Crouching light is too short range to be useful in most scenarios.

It was fun, but I think Vlad and Talos are tied for the worst characters in the game at this point.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Dazh posted:

I made it to Silver V with Dauntless without ever doing a link. Now I do them, though. I'm still just as lovely, just with better execution.

I'm still stuck in Bronze, please help

Also part of the reason why I assume there's no MMR is because I keep getting matched with people 5-6 tiers than me far more than closer to my level

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tae posted:

I'm still stuck in Bronze, please help

Also part of the reason why I assume there's no MMR is because I keep getting matched with people 5-6 tiers than me far more than closer to my level

I think you gain more experience/points if you beat people a higher rank than you though, so at least you're rewarded if you're able to best an opponent who is at a higher tier. I got knocked back into Bronze III last night by a Silver V Crow (I suck against Crows), but made it back to Bronze IV 2/3 after beating a Diamond V Chel.

Praxis19
Nov 4, 2009

No justice no peace ACAB
Snuck in a few games before work this morning, lost all 4. I guess the people who regularly play at 7:30 are the people playing all day. Had a great match with a Talos that was super back and forth. Dauntless is pretty fun, might give her some more time over Crow. Which turn punch do people tend to like more for her? I really like the forward one in theory, but I think it might be too slow to really catch anyone off guard.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Whichever punch allows for

Special 2 -> Kinetic advance forward -> Medium Heavy -> Special 3-> Special 1

This wins games alone sometimes.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What are the overall impressions so far. Not to be a dick, but I'd prefer opinions of people that know how to block.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Anyone have advice for a scrub Edge playing facing Talos? Every other character I feel like I can eventually strategize a way to use Gamma to get in or trip them up and at least compete, but against a decent Talos player I either block on wakeup and get a command grab, jump and get caught by that "Denied!" grab, or DP and he just armor-boots or vacuum-grabs me. Any advice?

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

smh, game is supposed to be noob friendly still not as easy to play as P4A. Why do you need more then two buttons anyways?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

bhsman posted:

Anyone have advice for a scrub Edge playing facing Talos? Every other character I feel like I can eventually strategize a way to use Gamma to get in or trip them up and at least compete, but against a decent Talos player I either block on wakeup and get a command grab, jump and get caught by that "Denied!" grab, or DP and he just armor-boots or vacuum-grabs me. Any advice?

I don't have too much trouble against decent Talos players with Edge, and I suck. You can punish charge-vacuum happy Talos players with gathering storm/binary flux (I think), or overdrive if you have it charged. Once you knock down a Talos with Edge, I think it makes it pretty tough for them to recover tbh. Snake Eyez and Rico Suave were both losing to lower tier Edge's pretty handily on their streams from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Goddamit game menu graphics still totally screwed up.

• Locked thread