Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
One of my dudes got the flu so I sent him to bed. A little later I get an alert that he was broken and he started wandering around. I kept getting red alerts that colonist needs treatment but I couldn't control him or treat him. The only thing I could do was arrest him so I did and now he's in my jail and his icon says "missing". Not sure if it's bugged or what.

Edit: after an age of trying to re-recruit him at 6% chance I thought gently caress him and set him to be released. He got taken out of the jail and resumed being one of my colonists as if nothing had ever happened. Weird.

Rapacity fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rapacity posted:

One of my dudes got the flu so I sent him to bed. A little later I get an alert that he was broken and he started wandering around. I kept getting red alerts that colonist needs treatment but I couldn't control him or treat him. The only thing I could do was arrest him so I did and now he's in my jail and his icon says "missing". Not sure if it's bugged or what.

Edit: after an age of trying to re-recruit him at 6% chance I thought gently caress him and set him to be released. He got taken out of the jail and resumed being one of my colonists as if nothing had ever happened. Weird.

Sickness imposes a morale penalty and being stuck in bed will mean your colonist can't do anything fun and will eventually get cabin fever, so long term sick patients are at significant risk of mental breaks.

However, most mental breaks are now soft breaks, they don't completely wreck your colonist, they just make them act out for a while. I believe in that case you can simply arrest them and it's basically like medical confinement, they're still on your team if you release them, they're just treated like prisoners. Given that you can use the warden to talk to them I believe this is a fairly valid way of dealing with mental breaks because it's basically like putting them in the psych ward, you can chat with them until they feel better and then release them.

It may be a bit buggy though as you describe.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
I bought this game recently and must say it was worth every penny.

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008

quote:

July 26
Misc fixes and code cleanup.
Balanced up research costs.
Animals call more while angry and especially while in melee combat.
Started work on animal training. Added TrainableDefs, training tracker per-pawn, Training inspection tab, training prerequisites, stubbed in Obedience, Attack, Rescue, Haul. Animals’ training options are limited by body size and trainable intelligence.

Tynan is now working on training for tamed animals! They can haul, fight and rescue among other things. Awesome

Wish he would work on more endgame-stuff next, like diplomacy and interactions with other tribes/settlements that is more involved than healing or letting go of prisoners.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

God dammit I'm trying to wait for mods to catch up, stop updating! :argh:
Tamed animals sounds awesome though. Hope you have to feed them.

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008

0lives posted:

Don´t worry, the next patch is at least a couple of weeks away i think. The new stuff needs playtesting and bugfixing so it will be awhile before the update hits.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

0lives posted:

They seem mostly updated. I installed the 11d version of the Ultimate Modpack within a couple hours of 11d

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=14229.0

I'm not 100% certain I like the changes this mod does. Man is starting a new fort brutal. Need to research about 12 things before you can even make a solar panel, much less any semblance of base defence.

Certainly liven things up tho, nothing like getting attacked by dudes with tanks and railguns 30 minutes into the game.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Ah, right, thank you both. Man, there are even more mods now than last time I played.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

0lives posted:

Ah, right, thank you both. Man, there are even more mods now than last time I played.

Ultimate modpack doesn't even include them all. Some guy on the official forums is maintaining a master list:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GB5GAQ9VhH3fobgUwRextiJmmoW7k5XFu8weIoQFMpI/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Azhais posted:

They seem mostly updated. I installed the 11d version of the Ultimate Modpack within a couple hours of 11d

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=14229.0

I'm not 100% certain I like the changes this mod does. Man is starting a new fort brutal. Need to research about 12 things before you can even make a solar panel, much less any semblance of base defence.

Certainly liven things up tho, nothing like getting attacked by dudes with tanks and railguns 30 minutes into the game.

Ninefinger is really good about staying on top of mods he includes and even fixing and updating them if they're not maintained any more but yeah I'm not really keen on the kitchen sink approach he takes. You can disable parts of it but it relies totally on Superior Crafting and a number of other mods that I'm not interested in. It was pretty great of him to repair and update Latta's RedistHeat mod though.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Flesh Forge posted:

Ninefinger is really good about staying on top of mods he includes and even fixing and updating them if they're not maintained any more but yeah I'm not really keen on the kitchen sink approach he takes. You can disable parts of it but it relies totally on Superior Crafting and a number of other mods that I'm not interested in. It was pretty great of him to repair and update Latta's RedistHeat mod though.

Is that the ductwork mod? I really couldn't figure that one out. Built ducts around, built an intake by an industrial cooler, exaust vents to the outside. HVAC room was like 1C and the duct network was still warmer than the ambient air :iiam:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It had a problem at the release of A11 because Tynan adjusted how time works, so the duct pieces were throttled too low and their output was way too low. Seems to all be fixed as of the latest update Ninefinger did, look at the end of the thread:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11056.msg153632#msg153632

Also it looks like there is some other popular mod out there that overrides something in the duct network code, so set RedistHeat to load last and it should work OK. You can probably enable this mod and load an already-built colony and have it work, but the safest thing is to roll a new planet/embark on new colony again.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Haven't played lately, but mostly because I've been following the changelog almost daily and I keep waiting for the next release. :v:

Will definitely pick it up again once animal taming is in, though. Too good not to play with.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When you buy this game, do you get a CD Key or something similar that would allow you to later activate it through Steam? I want the game, but I also want it integrated into Steam like most of my other games. I don't want to have to buy it twice when it eventually gets a Steam release.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Nietzschean posted:

When you buy this game, do you get a CD Key or something similar that would allow you to later activate it through Steam? I want the game, but I also want it integrated into Steam like most of my other games. I don't want to have to buy it twice when it eventually gets a Steam release.

Once he puts it on Steam yes, you will. But he hasn't yet (because he's not satisfied with the game yet)

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Nietzschean posted:

At the moment only people who bought it before Nov 4 2014 will get Steam keys for sure. It's still up in the air for everyone who bought after because apparently Valve's policies changed something. :confused:

Inacio posted:

Once he puts it on Steam yes, you will. But he hasn't yet (because he's not satisfied with the game yet)

Uh source your info please 'cause mine comes from the dev's FAQ and I haven't seen anything newer than that.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That is a weird kind of limbo to be in, but I guess that's the way things are in Early Access? :iiam:

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Tommofork posted:

Uh source your info please 'cause mine comes from the dev's FAQ and I haven't seen anything newer than that.
This is correct. You are not guaranteed a stream key if you buy now, but he also isn't releasing to steam until next year. Might as well buy now and rebuy when on sale cheap on steam, that is what I am planning

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also would point out that there's nothing really wrong with the current distribution method. You get the game to download and it runs out of the folder, there's no DRM or anything. Unless steam integration is the ideal for you, it's pretty decent at the moment.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

When he decided to take a break (he's since given up on that) he said he'd give us a Steam key, didn't he?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Inacio posted:

When he decided to take a break (he's since given up on that) he said he'd give us a Steam key, didn't he?

?

To my knowledge, A12 is supposed to be the last update before hiatus, what changed was that it's no longer going to be the steam release because releasing on steam then bunking off is a daft idea.

Edit:

http://ludeon.com/blog/2015/07/quick-update-upcoming-developments/

He's going on break in september. If A12 isn't done by then it's getting postponed too rather than releasing it half finished.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

He decided to back off from the Steam Early Access approach because he was thinking he could drop the next version on Steam and then take a (probably 6 month) break, which is the kind of thing that a lot of other Steam Early Access devs have done but they haven't come back from, so a bunch of people said no dude that's bad

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

He's going on break in september. If A12 isn't done by then it's getting postponed too rather than releasing it half finished.

yeah but

quote:

Animals trained for hauling will intermittently haul items.

If this is teased and then not released in six months I'm gonna, I dunno, punch myself in the balls every day or something.

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008
Yeah, im with you on that. He have earned his vacation slaving away with this game, but i will be a little bit sad if i can´t let one of my colonists become a squirrelmancer come September

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

quote:

Improvements to trade interface: better layout, expands vertically to use all screen space, increment/decrement buttons and launch/drop all buttons added.

THANK GOD

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008

quote:

Various description-writing and balance work on new animals (alpaca, capybara, husky, labrador retriever).
Misc tuning and fixes.
Colonists start with a random pet.

:3:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

That last one will come in handy for ice sheet colonies.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Why are there all these earth animals and plants on an alien planet? Did humans in this setting seed the galaxy with earth life, or did they just go into space, nuke the earth back into the stone age, completely forget it even existed and then find it again thinking it was some alien world?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Well, the rimworld the game takes place on isn't completly alien, there are other human colonies and traders pass by with relative frequency. It could be a world set up to be fully terraformed and then abandoned for whatever reason.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Aug 6, 2015

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008

Carcer posted:

Well, the rimworld the game takes place on isn't completly alien, there are other human colonies and traders pass by with relative frequency. It could be a world set up to be fully terraformed and then abandoned fro whatever reason.

Pretty much this. FTL is impossible but we have terraformed suitable planets all over the galaxy, bringing with us animals and plants from earth. It is after all the ecosystem we have depended upon for our entire existence. Dont know if the lore talks about alien life, but alien life might be downright toxic to us because of differing biology.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I had like 4 geothermal power plants tucked deep in the mountain behind my base. Brilliant I thought; I don't have to worry about wind, solar flares, mortars, etc.

I'm not sure if the fire happened because it got too hot or if the fire caused a runaway temperature rise but when I clicked the 'Fire!' button there were flames all over two of the generators, a bunch of the batteries, the temperature in that passageway was 250 degrees and quickly rising, and 3 of 5 colonists were passed out from the heat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Slime posted:

Why are there all these earth animals and plants on an alien planet? Did humans in this setting seed the galaxy with earth life,

Broadly yes. Most of the things you encounter are genetically engineered. The armored bugs are supposedly the remains of a weapon designed to kill mechanoids. The boomrats are also supposedly the result of genetic engineering. Humanity is spread throughout the galaxy but the lack of FTL travel means that things are wildly different from world to world.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Moridin920 posted:

I had like 4 geothermal power plants tucked deep in the mountain behind my base. Brilliant I thought; I don't have to worry about wind, solar flares, mortars, etc.

I'm not sure if the fire happened because it got too hot or if the fire caused a runaway temperature rise but when I clicked the 'Fire!' button there were flames all over two of the generators, a bunch of the batteries, the temperature in that passageway was 250 degrees and quickly rising, and 3 of 5 colonists were passed out from the heat.

Geothermal plants need ventilation. Make a corridor to somewhere you can remove the roof from, and make a thick wall around your ventilation hole.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dunno-Lars posted:

Geothermal plants need ventilation. Make a corridor to somewhere you can remove the roof from, and make a thick wall around your ventilation hole.

Or just dig a giant cavern. Large enough rooms will usually act as a heat sink.

Where do you guys find all these mountains with internal geothermal vents, mine are always scattered all over the map and not even worth using because raiders just blow them up

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Azhais posted:

Or just dig a giant cavern. Large enough rooms will usually act as a heat sink.

Where do you guys find all these mountains with internal geothermal vents, mine are always scattered all over the map and not even worth using because raiders just blow them up

Maps that are like 30-40% mountains can have hidden geothermal vents inside the mountains that you have to find by digging them out.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

They can also have hidden areas that you can't see at landing that are connected to the map edge and hence fill with shitloads of wildlife.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

If you want to find a map like this you can uncheck "draw fog" in dev options and then after embarking, re-enable it. That setting persists across restarts so you can do it until you find a map layout you like. Steam vents and mechanoid hideouts are placed at embark time so if you really like a particular layout of land you can just re-embark on the same coordinates until you get some vents where you want them.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I'm having a problem and I can't decide if its a bug or intended behaviour.

I'm playing with one of the mods that add embrasures (Firing ports in walls) and I've fortified my colony with a full wall around it with a number of bunkers spread along it. In front of the firing ports are sandbags, as it helps protect my colonists while not affecting thier own accuracy. The problem I'm having is that enemies are refusing to shoot at my colonists from any range and instead are trying to batter the doors down.

For melee armed enemies I understand, thats what they do. But guys armed with guns, bows, grenades, even centipedes armed with thoe inferno cannon things don't shoot and instead try and attack doors in the wall.

Is it because they can't path to my guys, that they have a zero percent chance to hit and don't bother to try and shoot or is the mod that I'm using somehow bugged where my guys can shoot out but they can't shoot in?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That's a problem with the mod for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Which mod are you using? I think there's 2 that add embrasures.