Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
In our continuing series on how to kill all possible interest in your product, USA Today posted an interview with Carl Pei (co-founder of Oneplus).

Best parts:

He admits that NFC was cut because not a lot of people use it these days, but it will be important in 12-18 months. His reasoning? "By that time people will have moved on to the next device."

He also mentioned that Oneplus is coming out with a second model this year, one that may or may not have higher specs than the Oneplus Two. His first response when he saw the new prototype was "holy s--- that's going to be my daily driver"

So, just to recap - he thinks NFC is going to really important very soon but he thinks everyone will have bought a new phone in a year and a half, and that a second phone is launching this year with better specs.

Join us next week for another installment of "How to Kill a Product Launch in the Shortest Amount of Time Possible" or "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Howler Monkeys that Live in My Brain and Scream at Me All the TIme"
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2015/08/02/oneplus-carl-pei-interview/30947799/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

grack posted:

He also mentioned that Oneplus is coming out with a second model this year, one that may or may not have higher specs than the Oneplus Two. His first response when he saw the new prototype was "holy s--- that's going to be my daily driver"

Companies that Osborne themselves will never not be funny.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Kafka Esq. posted:

I read a comment somewhere that said you could format SDcards as system space with Android M, is that true?

edit: five seconds of googling later: http://www.sammobile.com/2015/05/30/android-m-is-bringing-extensive-sd-card-support-at-a-very-ironic-time/

Wasn't that the storage model Windows Phone 7 used?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spincube posted:

Wasn't that the storage model Windows Phone 7 used?

Yes, it is. It's literally all drawback and no advantage but idiots love SD cards so now you get much slower, much less reliable storage that you'll have to pay for separately and now your removable storage is no longer removable. So much better than it was when things worked.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

grack posted:

He admits that NFC was cut because not a lot of people use it these days, but it will be important in 12-18 months. His reasoning? "By that time people will have moved on to the next device."

While we should expect a longer lifetime for a device that costs ~USD400 and has some of the latest specs, it's funny to quote this as "crazy" in a thread where the Moto G with 1 GB RAM is being praised and recommended for a week now.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cable posted:

While we should expect a longer lifetime for a device that costs ~USD400 and has some of the latest specs, it's funny to quote this as "crazy" in a thread where the Moto G with 1 GB RAM is being praised and recommended for a week now.

The difference is that the Moto G since 2013 never had the issues with half the specs the OnePlus had: Robust hardware on nicely packed stock android at half the price. Yes, it had (and has if you don't have access to MotoMaker) 1Gb of RAM, but you can actually buy it anywhere, have actual customer support, software updates and a good android experience.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Guillermus posted:

The difference is that the Moto G since 2013 never had the issues with half the specs the OnePlus had: Robust hardware on nicely packed stock android at half the price. Yes, it had (and has if you don't have access to MotoMaker) 1Gb of RAM, but you can actually buy it anywhere, have actual customer support, software updates and a good android experience.

This right here is where every Android falters and why the Motos keep getting recommended. The experience matters way more the spec sheet.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Cable posted:

Is anyone actually recommending the 1gb ram moto g though? I see 2gb recommended but not 1.

Edit: for the record, no one should get the 1gb, just spend the extra $

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

Captain Yossarian posted:

Is anyone actually recommending the 1gb ram moto g though? I see 2gb recommended but not 1.

Edit: for the record, no one should get the 1gb, just spend the extra $

Oops, I'm in one of the countries where the 2GB RAM version will be offered at a later stage so that's why I might have gotten confused.

For the record, I use a Moto G 2013 on a daily basis, but it's showing its age and it's barely usable now. I would like to buy something that lasts me more than 18 months, but that seems to be impossible nowadays...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cable posted:

Oops, I'm in one of the countries where the 2GB RAM version will be offered at a later stage so that's why I might have gotten confused.

For the record, I use a Moto G 2013 on a daily basis, but it's showing its age and it's barely usable now. I would like to buy something that lasts me more than 18 months, but that seems to be impossible nowadays...

Two years for a $200 phone is not a bad deal at all.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
It's that time of year for 2 second long blurry shaky cam prototype Nexus hardware videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8qdsWHHijA

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Yes, it is. It's literally all drawback and no advantage but idiots love SD cards so now you get much slower, much less reliable storage that you'll have to pay for separately and now your removable storage is no longer removable. So much better than it was when things worked.

I have no problem with phones that don't have it, or paying more for the option to have enough memory. But if the phone in looking at has SD card support boy howdy am I going to take advantage of it

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

LastInLine posted:

It depends on what SD card you get (for speed), and also depends on "is this being written to a billion times a day".

If phones supported the UHS-2 standard the speeds are blazing, but even in the UHS-1 spectrum you can get "90MB/sec" cards that are plenty fast. If all you're using it for is storage for media and a couple apps, I really doubt the card is going to become a liability quickly. I have a 32GB run of the mill sandisk card in my moto g right now and I have a couple of big apps loaded to it .. no slowdown I have noticed when launching them.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Moto G 2gb available for orders again. Order placed! :w00t:

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Robawesome posted:

I'm in the market for a Dual Sim phone - is the Zenphone 2 the best bang for your buck right now?

anybody?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Cross post: I'm selling a Sprint HTC One m7 and s3 in SA Mart. If you live somewhere where you actually GET sprint service, they may be of some use to you! :bang:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

LastInLine posted:

"Idiots" only love SD cards because hardware manufacturers still loving charge $50-100 for $1.75 worth of onboard NAND storage (32GB). So in summary gently caress phone manufacturers, I'd gladly take a Win7 semi-permanent SD card setup in Android M

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Captain Yossarian posted:

Cross post: I'm selling a Sprint HTC One m7 and s3 in SA Mart. If you live somewhere where you actually GET sprint service, they may be of some use to you! :bang:

In strangely related news, I just signed up for Swappa to sell an M7 and S3. My prices are a bit higher than yours though. Average M7 sell price is around $150. I'll let you know if mine sells for $120.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

FistEnergy posted:

Moto G 2gb available for orders again. Order placed! :w00t:

Showing up as Delayed Shipping at the moment. I'll wait until it's back at regular I think, but I believe I may be in for one.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

FistEnergy posted:

In strangely related news, I just signed up for Swappa to sell an M7 and S3. My prices are a bit higher than yours though. Average M7 sell price is around $150. I'll let you know if mine sells for $120.

Haha yes please let me know. I would rather deal with goons, but I understand swappa is normally pretty good too :)

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
New Factory Image LMY48I (5.1.1) for Nexus 5
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#hammerhead

fix for stagefright vulnerability

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

"Idiots" only love SD cards because hardware manufacturers still loving charge $50-100 for $1.75 worth of onboard NAND storage (32GB). So in summary gently caress phone manufacturers, I'd gladly take a Win7 semi-permanent SD card setup in Android M
So instead you pay $20 for $0.10 worth of lovely SD card?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

hotsauce posted:

Just tried the app. It's neat and I know the developer needs to make money for his/her effort, but goodness are the in-app ads positively obtrusive. After every clean, ads blast you. Auto-play videos, images, all of it.

So, if you are remotely interested in this app, pay the $2.99 instantly. Your sanity depends on it.

I'll let him know, he's a friend of mine. He was a goon at one point but it's been ages since I've seen him post.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Best Buy has the 8/1 Moto G in stock at regular prices - hopefully they'll start carrying the 16/2 version as well.

My 2013 Moto X is SUPER unstable...I'd be tempted to pick up a Moto G since I doubt I'd notice much difference in speed, but it doesn't have NFC. :(

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 20, 2018

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

mAlfunkti0n posted:

It depends on what SD card you get (for speed), and also depends on "is this being written to a billion times a day".

If phones supported the UHS-2 standard the speeds are blazing, but even in the UHS-1 spectrum you can get "90MB/sec" cards that are plenty fast. If all you're using it for is storage for media and a couple apps, I really doubt the card is going to become a liability quickly. I have a 32GB run of the mill sandisk card in my moto g right now and I have a couple of big apps loaded to it .. no slowdown I have noticed when launching them.

But there's so much more that matters to storage than just maximum theoretical speed; it's the reason really techy sites like Anandtech bother to test a phone's NAND speeds under every possible scenario. An SD card can have a max sequential read speed of 50MB/sec, but what's its average throughput or non-sequential write speed? There are so many more variables with SD cards not only between classes but even how different manufacturer's cards in the same class perform that can lead to lovely performance.
It's all seemingly minor technical details, but it can lead to inconsistent (at best) performance and a subpar experience, which is what ultimately matters. I totally understand if people don't just know this stuff off the bat (and my limited knowledge really comes from when I was dealing with an old G1/MyTouch 3G and trying to make my SD card system storage :downs: so things may be different now), but there is an actual, measurable difference between NAND and SD.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

MC Hawking posted:

Out of curiosity are there any real viable solutions to making your desktop a 'cloud storage server'? I've been wanting to move off dropbox for a while due to unreasonable :tinfoil:-edness, but I haven't really heard much about easily configurable solutions.

"Desktop" and "cloud" are kind of at odds in this request. Cloud basically means you're still trusting a 3rd party with your dick pics.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

MC Hawking posted:

Out of curiosity are there any real viable solutions to making your desktop a 'cloud storage server'? I've been wanting to move off dropbox for a while due to unreasonable :tinfoil:-edness, but I haven't really heard much about easily configurable solutions.

I've heard good things about OwnCloud but haven't spent the time to try it out.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/08/06/snapdragon-820-leak-details-quad-core-hydra-cpu-and-adreno-530-gpu/

Here's some information on the Snapdragon 820 which will be out in early 2016.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

14nm FinFET basically confirms that Samsung is doing their fab work on it since I don't think TSMC has that capability yet.

And I get to eat my own words since it guess they are going back to customized cores.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

This is some cool poo poo.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

sleepwalkers posted:

But there's so much more that matters to storage than just maximum theoretical speed; it's the reason really techy sites like Anandtech bother to test a phone's NAND speeds under every possible scenario. An SD card can have a max sequential read speed of 50MB/sec, but what's its average throughput or non-sequential write speed? There are so many more variables with SD cards not only between classes but even how different manufacturer's cards in the same class perform that can lead to lovely performance.
It's all seemingly minor technical details, but it can lead to inconsistent (at best) performance and a subpar experience, which is what ultimately matters. I totally understand if people don't just know this stuff off the bat (and my limited knowledge really comes from when I was dealing with an old G1/MyTouch 3G and trying to make my SD card system storage :downs: so things may be different now), but there is an actual, measurable difference between NAND and SD.

I get this but again as I have stated, I am using a few of my apps on SD and do not notice a difference in speed. I am sure that is not he same for some apps but for the vast majority out there storage on SD would be just fine. I am happy to have a higher capacity phone, but given the SD card is there and for what I am using it for I really don't care one iota if the speed is lower. My photos/videos/music don't need super fast storage, they never have and never will.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Maker Of Shoes posted:

"Desktop" and "cloud" are kind of at odds in this request. Cloud basically means you're still trusting a 3rd party with your dick pics.

FWIW, I'd pretty much trust anyone with my dick pics.

Any other metric we should track this by?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
A cloud provider would be honoured to have my beautiful dick pics, next problem?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

IuniusBrutus posted:

My 2013 Moto X is SUPER unstable...I'd be tempted to pick up a Moto G since I doubt I'd notice much difference in speed, but it doesn't have NFC. :(

That sucks, mine is still working great.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Sooo, any word on 5.1 for 1st gen Moto G?

I asked this about a week ago. 5.0.2 is redrawing like hell.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

MC Hawking posted:

Bit torrent sync is pretty convenient.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

withoutclass posted:

Bit torrent sync is pretty convenient.

Bittorrent sync should do the job, but make sure you're backing up your desktop somewhere else if you care at all about preserving your dick pics. Crashplan is cheap and lets you manage your own encryption keys.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Sooo, any word on 5.1 for 1st gen Moto G?

I asked this about a week ago. 5.0.2 is redrawing like hell.

You can get 5.1 on a Moto G today for the low price of $219.99 :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/06/android-certifigate/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.checkpoint.capsulescanner

Looks like there's another vulnerability out "Certiigate". There's even an app on the Play Store to see if you're vulnerable. Neither my Nexus 7 (2013) or Nexus 4 were vulnerable.

This vulnerability can come from a side-loaded app, even if it looks legit. However, the vulnerability can also come from Play Store apps as well.