Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

leokitty posted:

Book club died pretty quickly :negative: But we did all manage to read The Lords of the Realm. I think we burnt out because that was a long book.

I didn't like the second book and I voted for it, that didn't help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Simmons is filled with impotent rage about deflate gate. It's sorta funny in a sad kind of way.

https://twitter.com/BillSimmons

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The NFL hosed up all kinds of things about that but perhaps someone more level headed should point them out

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

ElwoodCuse posted:

The NFL hosed up all kinds of things about that but perhaps someone more level headed should point them out

Charles Pierce perhaps?

quote:

More than a few people advised Brady to suck it up and take the penalty because you can’t fight City Hall, overlooking the fact that, in this particular case, City Hall is presided over by a guy who couldn’t pour juice out of his loafers if the instructions were written on the heel.

quote:

Because the NFL, in its judicial functions, combines the investigative genius of Inspector Clouseau with the good faith of a Gaboon viper, the Patriots are caught, and leaks occur that make the situation seem worse than it is.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That quote from the judge is fantastic

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Lockback posted:

Simmons is filled with impotent rage about deflate gate. It's sorta funny in a sad kind of way.

Ballghazi is wonderful. Boston sports fans are sad and angry, which is always a good thing. And Roger Goodell looks like the idiotic stooge that he is, which is always a good thing. No matter who loses, the forces of right and good win.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

This dude is the biggest Boston homer in the world and I personally feel that he writes like his byline picture looks.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

ahahaha he changed his avatar to a Brady RINGZZZZZZ picture

EDIT: At least Bill's Twitter account led me to this picture:

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 6, 2015

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
i would wear a PETE LACOCK IS NO. 1 t-shirt

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Mornacale posted:

i would wear a PETE LACOCK IS NO. 1 t-shirt

Same for me and the peach colored Viva Lacock

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Rays minor leaguer Carter Burgess asked on Twitter today why Baseball Tonight has female analysts. When questioned by female baseball fans on Twitter, he replied with "deez nuts." Rays minor leaguer Carter Burgess has since deleted his Twitter account. :v:

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Lockback posted:

i just want more Simmons rage at ESPN.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Rays minor leaguer Carter Burgess asked on Twitter today why Baseball Tonight has female analysts. When questioned by female baseball fans on Twitter, he replied with "deez nuts." Rays minor leaguer Carter Burgess has since deleted his Twitter account. :v:
Probably a smart idea based on his actions today

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

He's slugging .260 in single-A, too. Probably not a good career move doing that.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
In which PFTCommenter punks the BBC https://twitter.com/rajiniv/status/629421290974244864

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

ahahaha this is tremendous

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

that shirt

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

This feels like a character breaking the fourth wall

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

+10 points for not spelling quarterback right

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm not sure if I like this more than when the Cleveland Browns revealed a homeless man told them to draft Manziel

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

guy who writes all of his columns from the perspective of an illiterate moron is somehow the best sportswriter in America

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

guy who writes all of his columns from the perspective of an illiterate moron is somehow the best sportswriter in America

Mr. Mariotti stop trying to put yourself over and please leave the thread.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

R.D. Mangles posted:

Is PFTCommenter's real identity a secret?

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

+10 points for not spelling quarterback right

Another +5 for "a" instead of "an" elite.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

commy gun posted:

Another +5 for "a" instead of "an" elite.

I like how he didn't even bother to think of something for the 'Z'.

e: poo poo, I was thinking of the Trump/Benghazi shirt

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Is this actually PFT Commenter?

edit: possibly

General Dog fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 8, 2015

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Frackie Robinson posted:

Is this actually PFT Commenter?

yes

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The quoted image leaves out some important information

It's like the goddam Last Supper :allears:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Frackie Robinson posted:

This is a good image.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Anals of History posted:

This feels like a character breaking the fourth wall

It feels like when the T-Rex gets loose and rampages around San Diego in the Lost World

The takes are so hot they've escaped into our dimension

General Dog fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 8, 2015

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think Dan Wetzel has covered the story well too.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Frackie Robinson posted:

The gay dude in the tank top could sit in the backseat and open both car doors at the same time with arms like that.

(I stole this joke from Ia Bill Simmons NBA draft diary..I think it is his single greatest joke)

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Copernic posted:

Is PFTCommenter's real identity a secret?

Drew went after Dadboner but he won't do it to a KSK alum

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The Star Tribune's Minnesota basketball reporter was also sexually harassed by their Athletic Director back in 2013, but chose not to come forward at the time. Worth a read.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

those texts :stare:

E: The taxi story :stonk:

E2: God it just keeps going

Star Trib posted:

In March 2013, Regina Sullivan, a senior associate athletic director for the University of Minnesota, filed a federal complaint against the U after she was fired from the school in October 2012. Teague, she said, “expected a woman in my position to take a passive role and defer to men’s opinions” on issues pertaining to Title IX, the law that bans sex discrimination in any federally funded school.

This loving guy, goddamn

DJExile fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 11, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Is sportsmanship dead? Mitch Albom thinks...maybe.

quote:

Two football players got in an argument this past week. One was a linebacker. The other was the starting quarterback. Often starting quarterbacks wear red jerseys during practices, to remind teammates not to hit them too hard.

That didn't stop the linebacker. In a dispute allegedly over $600, he coldcocked his quarterback in the face in the locker room — a "sucker punch" is how some witnesses described it — breaking the passer's jaw and landing him on the injured list for at least the first few weeks of the season.

The linebacker, IK Enemkpali, was immediately cut from the team. The quarterback, Geno Smith, underwent surgery and won't be taking snaps for a while.

Meanwhile, also this past week, an Australian tennis player named Nick Kyrgios got angry at his opponent, French Open champion Stan Wawrinka, turned to him and said that another player had slept with Wawrinka's girlfriend.

"Sorry to tell you that, mate," he added.

Well. At least he said sorry.

Swift justice for miscreants

Now, I'm not sure what to make of all this. It's true that athletes have a long history of fighting with each other. Remember Kermit Washington punching Rudy Tomjanovich, or Ron Artest attacking half the Pistons and their fans? Some sports, like football, actually encourage a little "healthy" intrasquad engagement, although breaking the starting quarterback's jaw doesn't show up on anybody's healthy list, least of all the quarterback's.

And it's true that in both cases, the perpetrators were swiftly dealt with. Enemkpali lost his job (although he was picked up by another team and his former coach). And Kyrgios immediately was fined the maximum on-site amount of $10,000, while his sport continues to review the matter and may add more penalties.

But there is a hair-trigger anger in sports today that is different than the old days when baseball players clutched at each other until the umpires separated them, or John McEnroe threw a tantrum and yelled at referees that "you guys are the absolute pits of the world!"

That stuff seems downright Brady Bunch compared to Gilbert Arenas, the NBA star, who a few years ago brought guns to practice and reportedly told a teammate he had been squabbling with to pick one if he was so tough. The teammate declined, then pulled out a gun of his own.

Is this sports or the Sopranos?

And this month marks the one-year anniversary of a still-controversial auto racing tragedy in which veteran driver Tony Stewart killed a young driver named Kevin Ward Jr. by striking him with his car in an upstate New York sprint car race. Stewart claimed it was 100% accidental, and his sport and legal authorities have exonerated him. But Ward's family recently filed a wrongful death lawsuit, claiming that Stewart intentionally gunned his engine when Ward was walking on the track.

At the very least, it was a confrontation that had a seriously tragic conclusion.

You wonder what's on the horizon?

Have your teammates' backs

Look. Our world has clearly become angrier. Everyone yells. Everyone demands respect. (Whatever happened to earning it?) Everyone has an opinion. Everyone tweets. Twitter, Facebook and Instagram give harbor to fast tempers. Reality shows fill us with the idea that if there isn't conflict, it's not really life.

If sports was not always refuge from that, it was at least a place where the rules kept your worst temper in check. There were fines nobody wanted to incur and penalties that would hurt the team. There was also the scorn of the locker room if you broke the cardinal rule of having your teammates' backs.

Pulling guns or cracking a jaw doesn't really fit that spirit. And telling your opponent that your friend slept with his girlfriend doesn't jibe with the spirit of "the gentleman's sport."

The culprits in the past week's incidents were very young (Enemkpali is 24, Kyrgios is 20). Maybe this is the new manners. Maybe it's a sign of the times. Maybe it's just coincidence. But I've covered sports for a long time and can't remember either incident ever happening before. A teammate broke the quarterback's jaw? My buddy slept with your girl? We're going to have to come up with a new meaning for sportsmanship. Hopefully it won't be "a word that means nothing anymore."

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Old Person Tribune Columnist Bernie Lincicome with the Ultimate Old Man Baseball Column

quote:

Modern baseball statistics are much like restless leg syndrome, like gluten or sleep numbers. You know, crap someone made up for no good reason.

In fact, I think CRAP is one of the new baseball stats. It stands for Creepy Ratios And Percentages. Or maybe not. One of my favorites is LIPS (Late Inning Pressure Situations) though it was much more fun when it belonged to Morganna, the Kissing Bandit.

It isn't as if baseball did not already have enough statistics. Good old RBIs and ERAs. They've gotten us through peace, war, the wave, artificial turf and the San Diego Chicken, so it isn't as if we were under-stat-ted. Not stat-isfied?

But it is not enough for a run to be earned any more, it must be dissected and scrutinized, analyzed, charted, graphed and plotted until all that's left are shards of arithmetic and an eyeshade.

Anyone who understands, endorses or can determine the baseball statistic Wins Above Replacement (WAR) may now be excused from this discussion.

And take VORP with you. I believe that was a cold war alliance before it became Value Over Replacement Player.

The rest of us will fill out our scorecards the same way Red Smith used to and pay no attention to why the Cubs hit fewer ground balls than almost any other team (because they strike out more.)

Oops. I did not mean to be so sabermetric. Knowing stuff like the ratio between ground balls and fly balls is essential to the modern appreciation of the grand old game. An out is no longer just an out and plate appearances per strikeout must figure in there someplace.

And, yet, even with BABIP (batting average on balls in play) and PECOTA (player empirical comparison and optimization test algorithm), there is room for more.

RSWS: Runs scored while scratching. This is usually a first baseman stat though it applies to any player or coach who can't resist the tug of nature.

PTLBG: Practice time lost beard grooming. Baseball beards are the most distressing trend in sports since NBA coaches had perms. Any slump, pitching or hitting, is directly proportional to the length of hair that hides the face, except with the Yankees where push comes to shave.

BBS/BAS: Baseball before steroids and baseball after steroids. All baseball statistics preceding Jose Canseco and following Barry Bonds are valid. All those in between require urine samples, a subpoena and the inevitable Congressional subcommittee.

GW/LBDL: Games won or lost because of dumb luck. This stat covers every case that cannot be explained by formula or computer program, and must be the primary explanation as to why the Marlins have won as many World Series titles in 22 years as the Cubs have in 111.

GW/LDTRB: Games won or lost due to ritual behavior. The exact opposite of dumb luck. This stat encompasses everything from curses to rally caps. Whatever is done during a hitting streak must continue to be done (unchanged underwear, alas) and anything that is done during a losing streak must be undone (step on a crack you break your catcher's bat.)

PERA: This is what a pitcher's earned run average would have been if he did not give up home runs, base hits, bases on balls or could find the strike zone without a GPS (not a baseball stat).

STOP: Spring training optimistic predictions. Every team finishes first. Eventually it may give way to WCM or Wild Card Mania, which is treating the opportunity to play one extra game the same as winning the pennant.

BCHR: Batting cage home runs. Very big with the White Sox.

ESWTU: Embarrassing selfies wearing throwback uniforms. The cry can be heard throughout the Alleghenies. "You mean Willie Stargell actually dressed like this?"

HFVTA: Hall of Fame votes taken away. Older voters who are no longer allowed to select players who actually saw Willie Stargell dress like that, who don't know the difference between a meme and a hashtag and, furthermore, don't care.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 16, 2015

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

Old Person Tribune Columnist Bernie Lincicome with the Ultimate Old Man Baseball Column

Lincicome is a special contributor to the Chicago Tribune.

yes, yes he is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm hopeful he wrote that because he's also getting his vote taken. Because if he isn't, he should be for whatever that pile of garbage is supposed to be.