Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

Protip: get the Windows 95 Special Edition of SimCity 2000 and the patch for Windows 7+ and it'll play fine in 10, and doesn't have the resolution/speed restrictions that the GOG DOS version does:

I can send you the patch if neccesary

This owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I mean it would if it were 16x10.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

akadajet posted:

I mean it would if it were 16x10.

Eh if I went 16:10 on a similar laptop when I bought this I'd have had to deal with worse backlighting and color quality. :shrug:

You can run it at up to 2560x1600 easily if you have a nice modern 16:10 display though.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

If I'm upgrading from Windows 8.1, is it easy to make a clean install of 10, or do I have to go through the upgrade first before MS provides the means to do the clean?

My computer's starting to chug along on some processes so I figure a fresh start might be for the best anyway.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

iamsosmrt posted:

If I'm upgrading from Windows 8.1, is it easy to make a clean install of 10, or do I have to go through the upgrade first before MS provides the means to do the clean?

My computer's starting to chug along on some processes so I figure a fresh start might be for the best anyway.

You must perform the upgrade from inside your existing install.
That marks your computer as eligible for free Windows 10.

You should have an option to "keep nothing" during the Windows 10 install, which should be effectively the same as a clean install. If you don't like the result, you can (after confirming Windows 10 has activated) do a format and clean install.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

iamsosmrt posted:

Honestly I would say just give it a go doing the regular install method, and then uninstall things you don't need. It's way simpler.

Also you might want to say what the processes are because there's probably other reasons behind them that may need to be fixed.

Fufo
Apr 24, 2002

UNEXPECTED!
Did the upgrade on two machines.

Laptop had a couple of errors but managed to make it work by summarily deleting that download folder method. Everything working... Except that OneDrive won't sync properly even when it says it's already downloaded everything (local folder is empty...). All in all, quite painless and mostly satisfactory.

Desktop had the same download errors that were almost fixed by one deletion, then two or three false starts and finally working after overcoming another two different error codes that google helped me with. The fun started when the installation finished. Blank login screen. The nVidia driver Windows Update installed hosed everything up. Manage to log in, force safe mode reboot, uninstall drivers, install the one downloaded directly from nVidia (latest one, 353.62, I think). I disabled driver updates in Windows Update, of course. Try games. Not a single one would launch (World of Tanks, Path of Exile, Rift, Witcher 3). Googled around a lot and ended up rolling back several times, until I reached 347.88, which apparently was working quite right for several people. Still no dice. Video card is a GTX 660. So apart from having a gaming computer that can't be used for games, everything seems to be working, even my two monitors seem to enter power saving mode without problems. All in all, a bloody pain in the arse that doesn't seem to have no solution apart from waiting until nVidia and MS start talking to each other and release a working driver.

I like the direction W10 seems to be going, but so far it's a beta, no matter what they say.

That's my trip report.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Finally got that dism thing to cleanly square away my machine. Working on a System Image using "File History", but it says it'll be up to 722 gigs, and I don't have a terabyte lying around. Is there a way to backup just the windows system stuff in case my update from 8.1 goes wonky, and perhaps do it on a 16 or 32gb usb drive?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there any benefit to doing a completely clean install of Windows 10 as opposed to upgrading and then just using the reset function?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ludicro posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there any benefit to doing a completely clean install of Windows 10 as opposed to upgrading and then just using the reset function?

None whatsoever.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Because I can't find a straight answer elsewhere aside from speculation or third-hand reports, can our Microsoft goon confirm or deny that if I upgrade from a retail version of 7 to 10, I will no longer be able to use that version if I switch motherboards? I.e., I will be losing a good deal of the license rights I currently hold by switching to what is, essentially, an OEM license?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Magnus Praeda posted:

Because I can't find a straight answer elsewhere aside from speculation or third-hand reports, can our Microsoft goon confirm or deny that if I upgrade from a retail version of 7 to 10, I will no longer be able to use that version if I switch motherboards? I.e., I will be losing a good deal of the license rights I currently hold by switching to what is, essentially, an OEM license?

It probably won't let you activate but I'm pretty certain you will be able to call MS activation hotline and get it working again.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Magnus Praeda posted:

Your retail 7 license still remains valid, you could install it on another computer after you upgrade to 10. And you can then upgrade that computer to 10 for free as well, as long as it was within the time limit.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

GreenNight posted:

It probably won't let you activate but I'm pretty certain you will be able to call MS activation hotline and get it working again.

I appreciate the response, but this is exactly the same sort of conjecture of "maybe?" that's been the only info I've been able to find thus far.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Your retail 7 license still remains valid, you could install it on another computer after you upgrade to 10. And you can then upgrade that computer to 10 for free as well, as long as it was within the time limit.

I didn't know the 7 license remains valid. I thought upgrades always invalidated the license that they were upgraded from. That seems like a great way for their install base of 10 to start losing ground after the free upgrade period lapses and people start reinstalling 7 or 8.1 rather than paying for something that they've gotten used to thinking of as "free".

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Magnus Praeda posted:

I appreciate the response, but this is exactly the same sort of conjecture of "maybe?" that's been the only info I've been able to find thus far.

I didn't know the 7 license remains valid. I thought upgrades always invalidated the license that they were upgraded from. That seems like a great way for their install base of 10 to start losing ground after the free upgrade period lapses and people start reinstalling 7 or 8.1 rather than paying for something that they've gotten used to thinking of as "free".

There is no other answer right now. Good luck telling your mom to reinstall 7.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Magnus Praeda posted:

It's not free for a year. It's free to perform the upgrade any time in the next year. It's yours after that. You don't get robbed in a year.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Magnus Praeda posted:

In the past you could take your upgrade of say 7 to 8 and put it on any computer you wanted, since you had a valid key for 8 now. But with the Windows 10 promotion, the only "key" is a hardware id that doesn't transfer. Also it's not that you only get to use it for one year, it's that you only have a year to install it and activate that computer. Once it's activated, it can be used on 10 forever.

However when upgrade editions of Windows 10 go on the shelf at the store and you buy them, they'll behave like older Windows upgrades did, near as we can tell.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

GreenNight posted:

There is no other answer right now. Good luck telling your mom to reinstall 7.

Which is why I specifically asked our resident MS Goon to weigh in. What's with the snark? It's a legitimate question about a legitimate concern. Most people (my parents included) don't build their own computers, they buy whatever's cheap at the Wal Marts. For the people who do build their own and change hardware, including motherboards, having their license go from "any one PC" to "this specific hardware ID only" is actually a significant problem and, like many other things in this release, MS has been incredibly vague and non-communicative.

edit:

Nintendo Kid posted:

In the past you could take your upgrade of say 7 to 8 and put it on any computer you wanted, since you had a valid key for 8 now. But with the Windows 10 promotion, the only "key" is a hardware id that doesn't transfer. Also it's not that you only get to use it for one year, it's that you only have a year to install it and activate that computer. Once it's activated, it can be used on 10 forever.

However when upgrade editions of Windows 10 go on the shelf at the store and you buy them, they'll behave like older Windows upgrades did, near as we can tell.

I know it's not that we can only use it free for a year. I was mostly concerned about how that affects people like me who follow a "PC of Theseus" approach and upgrade parts piecemeal. I don't know that I'll upgrade my motherboard within the next year or if it'll be after the free upgrade period has lapsed. If it's the latter, it's more likely that I'll just reinstall 7 rather than buying 10 at that point, since 7 will keep getting security updates until 2020.

Magnus Praeda fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 6, 2015

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Because I've done motherboard replacements before and I couldn't activate after. I called the number and they got me fixed in about 5 minutes. I very much doubt this will be any different.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Magnus Praeda posted:

Which is why I specifically asked our resident MS Goon to weigh in. What's with the snark? It's a legitimate question about a legitimate concern. Most people (my parents included) don't build their own computers, they buy whatever's cheap at the Wal Marts. For the people who do build their own and change hardware, including motherboards, having their license go from "any one PC" to "this specific hardware ID only" is actually a significant problem and, like many other things in this release, MS has been incredibly vague and non-communicative.

Regarding the snark comment, this is a comedy forum after all.

But to help you your Windows 7 retail key is valid as long a you only run it on one computer so if you do a full rebuild you can still install and activate that Windows 7 key as long as you either deactivate it first on your old computer or call MS and say hey I only installed it on one computer then they activate. Then during the year of free upgrades for 10 you can then upgrade to 10. Eventually you are going to have to buy a Windows 10 retail key though or whatever they call the versions of Windows then.

That is how I understand it anyway and don't expect the resident MS Goon to weigh in as he is probably not in the department regarding licensing so would probably get fired if he commented on licensing.

If you want to be sure buy a copy of Windows 10 Retail version.

Edit: or join the insider program and let MS keylog you https://insider.windows.com/ then you don't have to worry about specific hardware id or having to purchase a retail version

Lowtechs fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 6, 2015

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So my Surface Pro 2 won't Sleep anymore. If I hit the button on top it wakes up in a couple seconds and if I close the type cover on it it'll wake up when closed. There's no way to get it to sleep now. :psyduck:

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

I installed with the Express Install option (no problems during or after install), then went back and turned off all of the information sharing I could find. The advice I've since been seeing, though, is to do a custom install, so can anyone chime in on whether that's any better than turning off all of the sharing options? I'm assuming there aren't options that can't be addressed after install.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Does anyone have issues getting Windows 10 to display your chosen Lock Screen image and app info? When I set the options and lock the machine it shows the default image from boot-up and no info. The clock is also 12-hour instead of my default 24.

Worse yet: Unlocking appears to crash Explorer or do something strange to my system tray icons.

Looks like it has 8 upvotes and an acknowledgement a million threads in Feedback so I'll just wait it out...

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 6, 2015

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I had some issues getting Fallout: New Vegas running after upgrading, but I thought I might post here for anyone else.

First problem came from the fact that it was a boxed copy that was then linked to Steam, so after reinstalling Steam, it no longer recognized the folder of said box copy, I had to redownload it into the actual Steam Library folder. All my other Steam games that were in the library folder, Steam found right away.

Next was updating drivers, Nvidia was easy enough, but the knockoff xbox wireless receiver required me to go into Settings->Update and Security->Advanced Startup to allow me to install unsigned drivers.

Then was the fact I'd forgotten to let Steam do the first-time-run stuff for New Vegas.

And finally, I needed an updated version of the 4GB patch.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
So now that we've hit RTM, is OK to turn off insider builds? I was running insider builds on my laptop since the very first preview build. I wasn't using that computer much, so I wasn't concerned about stability. I'm actually using my laptop a lot more lately so I'd rather not have beta stuff pushed to me now. Since I originally updated from a valid 8.1 license I should be OK, correct?

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

robodex posted:

So now that we've hit RTM, is OK to turn off insider builds? I was running insider builds on my laptop since the very first preview build. I wasn't using that computer much, so I wasn't concerned about stability. I'm actually using my laptop a lot more lately so I'd rather not have beta stuff pushed to me now. Since I originally updated from a valid 8.1 license I should be OK, correct?

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/19/upcoming-changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

quote:

“I want to opt out of the Windows Insider Program on 7/29.” If you decide to opt-out of the program and upgrade to the 7/29 build you will be subject to exactly the same terms and conditions that govern the offer* that was extended to all Genuine Windows 7 and 8.1 customers. This is not a path to attain a license for Windows XP or Windows Vista systems. If your system upgraded from a Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 license it will remain activated, but if not, you will be required to roll back to your previous OS version or acquire a new Windows 10 license. If you do not roll back or acquire a new license the build will eventually expire.

Lowtechs fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 6, 2015

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I switched on Monday and most things are running fine.
I'm on a Dell laptop with a Celeron processor and it seems to be just a tad bit slower overall. I'm sure there is something somewhere I need to turn off to get it back to normal.
The only game problems I'm having is with Morrowind which will only run in a window and ith cuts the bottom of the screen off, where the buffs/debuffs are.
I run off of solar panels so I change back and forth from plug to battery on a regular basis. On battery it goes into battery saver mode and on Windows 8 I could click on the battery and choose a higher processor mode to get back to normal. Now it goes into some mode that is excruciatingly slow and I have to click and scroll though a couple of menus to get back to normal. Any quicker options that I seem to be missing or do I just need to wait for the big update?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Magnus Praeda posted:

edit:

I know it's not that we can only use it free for a year. I was mostly concerned about how that affects people like me who follow a "PC of Theseus" approach and upgrade parts piecemeal. I don't know that I'll upgrade my motherboard within the next year or if it'll be after the free upgrade period has lapsed. If it's the latter, it's more likely that I'll just reinstall 7 rather than buying 10 at that point, since 7 will keep getting security updates until 2020.

Nobody from Microsoft can give you a clear answer on this for two reasons: either they don't know, or they aren't allowed. Why is this? Why isn't there a real simple and clear line on their FAQ about when you replace your motherboard? Basically because of lawyers.

Remember, "people who replace their own pc parts" is an tiny subset of Microsoft's customers for Windows. It's main customers are PC OEMs and large business who do image deployments and then also smaller businesses to an extent (but they're mostly just buying OEM products anyway).

From Microsoft's perspective, they're selling copies of Windows that get stamped onto preconfigured hardware setups by the millions. In this world, there's no concept of "replace motherboard" or "replace videocard". When you say "what if I want to switch hardware" they hear "what if I get a new laptop". Now we have language about "for the lifetime of the hardware" which further enlightens their perspective. Of course hardware would have a lifetime... it's all sold together! One Windows license per unit of hardware! What's the problem!

In the past, all us home pc builders just bought one-off copies licensed as OEM copies. This was slightly outside of the legalese for most versions of Windows but was then formally allowed with I believe Windows 8 including home system builders. And further proof is that you have been able to call to reactivate a hardware change deactivation with basically zero hassle.

This free upgrade with support for the lifetime of the hardware stuff is another case where home pc builders fall outside of the legalese, because we don't really have a a hardware like everyone who bought a laptop from Dell does. They want everyone possible to get the upgrade for free but not widen the legal terms so as to let themselves be sued into letting their big customers rip them off.

So now with the free upgrade, home pc builders are again left reading tea leaves to predict the future. Whatever happens, the trajectory so far has been that it's not really a big problem for home pc builders to get Windows (re)activated. That's why most people itc are pretty calm about it.

Factor Mystic fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 6, 2015

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
If I upgrade a custom PC for free I don't expect to be able to take that Windows 10 license with me to my next machine. All I care about is if when I build my next machine that retail key is good for one machine at a time.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Turns out I didn't dream upgrading my main PC to Win10 while drunk last night. Luckily everything seems to work.

I like how there's an option to get a shortcut to the old-style control panel on your desktop, but it's nowhere to be found in the start menu. :wtc: I'm trying to somehow move this shortcut to the start menu, but it's not working.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Turns out I didn't dream upgrading my main PC to Win10 while drunk last night. Luckily everything seems to work.

I like how there's an option to get a shortcut to the old-style control panel on your desktop, but it's nowhere to be found in the start menu. :wtc: I'm trying to somehow move this shortcut to the start menu, but it's not working.

Can't you just right click on the start button to bring up a menu with the old control panel on it?

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Does anyone know why UI elements seem to be missing when using remote desktop from one Win 10 to PC to another? The start button has no windows logo, tray is blanked out, max/min/close is blanked out. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

havenwaters posted:

Can't you just right click on the start button to bring up a menu with the old control panel on it?

Yes. :downs:

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
I had a Win98 VM with Virtual PC on my win 7 box (old games). Is there any way to run it in Windows 10 Home? Hyper-V is Pro only, right?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BDawg posted:

I had a Win98 VM with Virtual PC on my win 7 box (old games). Is there any way to run it in Windows 10 Home? Hyper-V is Pro only, right?

VmWare Workstation and VirtualBox are both free VM software that you can import your VPC VM setups to.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

VmWare Workstation and VirtualBox are both free VM software that you can import your VPC VM setups to.

VMWare Player not Workstation.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Do I still need the media creation tool to get the Windows 10 Pro upgrade? My roomates's 10 install is hosed and he can't Reset it.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Nintendo Kid posted:

Cool, thanks.

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

My laptop installed 10 without a hitch tonight, so I decided to check on my desktop. It says it's downloading and the update history is filled with a bunch of failed installations. Clicking on "view download progress" makes it act like the download is finished and then it says it can't update the system reserved partition. The heck is with that?

Laptop was 8.1 and the desktop is 7, if that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I'm pretty sure the "Failed" is to do with how they're doing the release waves, your system has checked and been told not to do the actual install yet.

You can still do it manually with the Media Creation Tool.

• Locked thread