Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Chamale posted:

70 years ago today, the United States touched off the most destructive derail of all time.

And the saddest museum I ever visited

I have "And the second saddest museum I ever visited" reserved for the 9th

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
Heads up to any Kindle-using UK goons - "Europe's Tragedy: A New History of the Thirty Years War" by Peter Wilson, which if I recall correctly Hegel recommended, is currently free on Amazon (normally it's about £8 for the ebook)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Europes-Tra...europes+tragedy

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

Saying firearms were fully mature with the mosin is like saying cars were basically done in the 20s.
firearms were fully mature in 1630 and everyone knows it

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
and pikes by 336 bc

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Owlkill posted:

Heads up to any Kindle-using UK goons - "Europe's Tragedy: A New History of the Thirty Years War" by Peter Wilson, which if I recall correctly Hegel recommended, is currently free on Amazon (normally it's about £8 for the ebook)

quote:

this title is not available for you

Due to copyright restrictions, the Kindle title you're trying to purchase is not available in your country: Serbia.

GOD DAMNIT

edit: Should have noticed the UK goon part. :/

my dad fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Aug 6, 2015

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Seems it's gone back up to being 6.99.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
seven bucks for a bajillion pages is still a good deal

still nothing on italy though, not that i'm bitter that italy turned out to be the thing i'm going to end up writing my dissertation on

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

my dad posted:

GOD DAMNIT

Unfortunately it doesn't look like you can lend books on UK Kindle and I'm not sure if they'd allow cross-country lending anyways, sorry. :(

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

my dad posted:

GOD DAMNIT

Try getting the ebook on Kobo, it's one of the alternatives I've tried after Amazon found out that someone paying with a German creditcard and shipping everything to a German address, is not in fact a US-citizen living in Seattle. (But I did get half a dozen ebooks not available in Germany before they requested my non-existent US-passport to confirm my fake address. :v:)

Inktera.com should work now, too. I recently got a message they upgraded their site to support multiple currencies (earlier you could only pay with US-creditcards).

Edit:

Oh, sorry. I didn't notice this was about an exclusive deal on Amazon UK.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Aug 6, 2015

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

Seems it's gone back up to being 6.99.

I just got it for zero quid.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

my dad posted:

GOD DAMNIT

Serbia more like Servia cos you just got served am I right :cool:

100 Years Ago

Well, here we go. We've got an offensive on Gallipoli to talk about again. And this one is the most offensive of them all. (It's nice to see the Australian cricket team celebrating the anniversary by once again being massacred at the behest of the English.)

At Krithia, General Davies (just arrived from the Western Front) is absolutely horrified by the inadequacy of the prepatory bombardment. The diversionary attack at ANZAC Cove does well enough, although a follow-up, more critical attack into German Officer's Trench goes less well. The landings at Suvla Bay start going wrong almost from moment one. The Navy's recommendation against landing men inside the bay has been thoroughly ignored, with predictable results. And as the men sail off, General Stopford sets his reputation in stone for all time. In the planning stages there were many opportunities to be fair to him. Now, there are none at all.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

Don't forget the ridiculous "YOU ARE A HERO COMRADE, INVINCIBLE SLAUGHTERER OF FASCIST PIGS" tone of the RKKA side of the Call of Duty WWII games. Hell you have this Lenin lookalike at your side the whole time goading you on and extolling the virtues of the glorious Soviet Union.

Lenin lookalike? Please, the random name generator results in half of the politbureau fighting at your side! At least in UO and the second one, I didn't notice it in WaW.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Trin Tragula posted:

100 Years Ago

And as the men sail off, General Stopford sets his reputation in stone for all time. In the planning stages there were many opportunities to be fair to him. Now, there are none at all.

#JustNapping

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JcDent posted:

World At War was a fun game.

World at War was really fun because you could tell that Treyarch had stopped really taking itself seriously by that point. The inclusion of a fully fledged post-credits zombie game (that then got turned into its own entire game within a game after DLC started coming in) is a big sign, but even the campaign takes on a different tone from the older ones. It's a little darker, the gore is amped up, and you have Gary Oldman delivering his hammiest Patriotic Soviet impression and hacking up Nazis with a machete for half the game. It set the tone for Black Ops just throwing any pretense of historical accuracy and emulating old World War II movies out the window in favor of crazy alternate history and future stuff.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

feedmegin posted:

Me too, still free.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Monocled Falcon posted:

The original Theatre of War missions were pretty funny in this regard. The Soviets had access to the KV-1 and T-34, the Germans have the Panzer IV and Stug III, both with the short 75mm.

I wouldn't even bother building tanks in the German missions.

Theatre of War has absolutely no base building, resource collection or unit building :ssh:

Behemuff
Sep 23, 2010

but the eyes - never!

Good shout mate, cheers :)

Still £0.00 as of now.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Chamale posted:

70 years ago today, the United States touched off the most destructive derail of all time.

Huh, the whole nuke thing crowds out that we dropped a TD driven by a polish bear on Japan.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Huh, the whole nuke thing crowds out that we dropped a TD driven by a polish bear on Japan.

It was the only way to defeat Gay Black Hitler's fleet of invincible Tiger tanks

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

feedmegin posted:

Still showing as 6.99 for me. I guess Ireland is not the UK for this particular offer :shrug:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Owlkill posted:

$16 in the USA :(

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

It's on a nice sale for a paperback that size though.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

How good is this article?

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Theatre of War has absolutely no base building, resource collection or unit building :ssh:

Yes it does, in fact most missions in Operation Barbossa were just 2v2 skirmish matches.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Monocled Falcon posted:

Yes it does, in fact most missions in Operation Barbossa were just 2v2 skirmish matches.

Pretty sure you're thinking of Men of War. Theatre of War features a huge single-player game that, once again, features no base building, resource collecting or unit building.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It was the only way to defeat Gay Black Hitler's fleet of invincible Tiger tanks

It was either that or Operation Gamechat, and I think we can all agree which one was the less horrifying option.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Owlkill posted:

Heads up to any Kindle-using UK goons - "Europe's Tragedy: A New History of the Thirty Years War" by Peter Wilson, which if I recall correctly Hegel recommended, is currently free on Amazon
Just picked it up for nothing - thanks!

Also spotted that Stalingrad: Struggle in the East By: Christian Shakespeare is also free for UK kindle - no idea whether it's any good or not though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Clarence posted:

Just picked it up for nothing - thanks!

Also spotted that Stalingrad: Struggle in the East By: Christian Shakespeare is also free for UK kindle - no idea whether it's any good or not though.
That one worked for me! HURRAH!

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

my dad posted:

It was either that or Operation Gamechat, and I think we can all agree which one was the less horrifying option.

As always you people ignore the fact that the Japanese were already willing to accept that history isn't a real science. Dropping the TDs was aimed at intimidating Stalin into doing the same.

Behemuff
Sep 23, 2010

but the eyes - never!

Arquinsiel posted:

Still showing as 6.99 for me. I guess Ireland is not the UK for this particular offer :shrug:

Or ever tbh.

:glomp:

Behemuff fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 6, 2015

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It really depends on what mood the website is in. I got the Stalingrad book just fine :iiam:

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Hey Cyrano4747, I'm not sure I'm remembering you wrote this really interesting effort post on how current black poverty in America was caused by post World War II racist practices like redlining. Got a book recommendation for learning more about it?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Pretty sure you're thinking of Men of War. Theatre of War features a huge single-player game that, once again, features no base building, resource collecting or unit building.
Nah, I meant the mini-campaign thing in Company of Heroes 2 that was called Theatre of War. It was mostly poo poo and Relic gave up on it after two updates.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Think you're confusing me with someone else

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Monocled Falcon posted:

Hey Cyrano4747, I'm not sure I'm remembering you wrote this really interesting effort post on how current black poverty in America was caused by post World War II racist practices like redlining. Got a book recommendation for learning more about it?

drat and now I'm really interested in that and also wondering how much the movement into the cities for jobs in the war effort that dried up after might have hurt.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Cyrano4747 posted:

Saying firearms were fully mature with the mosin is like saying cars were basically done in the 20s.

I am saying that the Mosin was the first example of a modern firearm; thus even today it is not useless compared to other small arms found on the world's battlefields the way, say, a heirloom hunting Tibetan matchlock would be.

I am saying cars were basically done in the 70s, which is a point that could probably be argued.

Take a very abstract view and look at the most basic elements: select fire is an unnecessary luxury. Gas powered or piston powered mechanisms are unnecessary to perform the core task of a rifleman. I would poorly analogise them to the fuel injection system in, say, a mid-90s Jeep. Superior in almost all ways but not providing a new core function to the carburetor. I guess the spitzer bullet would be something like analogous to the cocktail of additives you find in gasoline.

The last 60 years of firearms development have been minor optimizations and iterative tweaks, compared to the previous 1300+ years of development.

There are some people who build assault rifles that are submachineguns writ large but that's a TFR topic, unless The War On Drugs is military history.

The Mosin is the first modern gun, it contains all of the ideas which all modern production guns also contain and very little design atavism. If speculation was appropriate I would do it in this sentence.

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Aug 7, 2015

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Keldoclock posted:

The last 60 years of firearms development have been minor optimizations and iterative tweaks, compared to the previous 1300+ years of development.
you make big vague statements about periodization but don't peg it at the switch from black to smokeless powder? smh

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Keldoclock posted:

I am saying that the Mosin was the first example of a modern firearm; thus even today it is not useless compared to other small arms found on the world's battlefields the way, say, a heirloom hunting Tibetan matchlock would be.

I am saying cars were basically done in the 70s, which is a point that could probably be argued.

Take a very abstract view and look at the most basic elements: select fire is an unnecessary luxury. Gas powered or piston powered mechanisms are unnecessary to perform the core task of a rifleman. I would poorly analogise them to the fuel injection system in, say, a mid-90s Jeep. Superior in almost all ways but not providing a new core function to the carburetor. I guess the spitzer bullet would be something like analogous to the cocktail of additives you find in gasoline.

There are some people who build assault rifles that are submachineguns writ large but that's a TFR topic, unless The War On Drugs is military history.

The Mosin is the first modern gun, it contains all of the ideas which all modern production guns also contain and very little design atavism. If speculation was appropriate I would do it in this sentence.

Well, considering that modern shooting is more concerned with volume of fire rather than accuracy (might be wrong there), I'd say battle and assault rifles are a leap forward, especially where city fighting is concerned.

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
I've seen armchair generals advocate the use of the Nagant in the hands of ISIS members, citing it as being an effective weapon for snipers if they acquire proper scopes. Seems to me that it could happen, if they got desperate enough. But ammunition acquisition would probably be the real factor restricting handing out a Mosin to everyone.

I suppose reverting back to the early 19th century with volume of fire over precise shots is occurring again, the AK shoots fairly fast and we all imagine some variation of it in the hands of wherever the Western military goes. I remember hearing somewhere over a decade ago that one round for an AK was 30 pence, about 45 cents in US Dollars. Cheap if you have a reliable source.

Also, every history book I've read dedicates the preface to badmouthing other history books. Is this just something that happens?

Hazzard fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Aug 7, 2015

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Keldoclock posted:

The Mosin isn't anything like the first modern rifle. First off, it uses a rimmed cartridge. While functional there are very real reasons why everything went rimless in the years that followed. By that criteria it should be something a bit later, maybe one of the early Mauser designs. On the other hand it is well in the middle of the pack of smokeless powder firearms. By THAT measure the 8mm Lebel would be the first "modern" rifle, and indeed it is very possible to fire them to this day.

Second arguing that select fire is an unnecessary luxury is ludicrous. It is a major evolutionary step in the development of firearms. If it was such a luxury it wouldn't have quickly become the standard for modern military rifles. In fact, that trend continues with select fire completely swamping both manual repeating and semi auto relatively quickly.

Third, you're moving the goalposts. You said the last 60 years of development have been only iterative developments and tweaks - the Mosin over 120 years old. Putting 60 years as the beginning of the 'modern age of firearms' would put you in the mid-50s which is a far, far more defensible statement and one that I would agree with.

As for the Mosin having everything that is standard in a modern rifle today: this is only true if you are talking about deer guns. If you're talking about modern first line military rifles here are some pretty loving vital things that it does not have:

1) detachable box magazine
2) select fire capabilities
3) rimless cartridge (I already mentioned this but it's important for designing feed systems on semi autos)

- arguably I could include the intermediate rifle cartridge to that list. It's the major thing that distinguishes the M14 as an obsolete gun (in wide usage - Im' aware some snipers use them) and the reason soldiers carry M16 derivatives today.

- there is also a strong argument to be made for the pistol grip. It completely changed how guns had to be laid out in order to make the ergonomics work and it significantly changed how the rifle has to be held (not just the obvious hand thing, placement of arms, elbows, etc). It is also much easier to work with with body armor, which is a kind of big deal now.

I'm sorry, but guns have advanced a long loving way since the Mosin.

quote:

Also, every history book I've read dedicates the preface to badmouthing other history books. Is this just something that happens?

THere are two ways to read this. The first, more critical way is that authors need to stake out that they are doing something interesting and and thus have to tear down people who came before them. The more charitable read is that they usually disagree with previous analyses (otherwise why write a book?) and need to show where the holes in logic or research are, justifying their project.

It's something all historians writing for academia have to do. Placing yourself within the greater historiographical argument is pretty important.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Keldoclock posted:

of course if you look at a time frame that is 4.6% of the other time frame progress will be relatively small

here's a neat thought: what tremendous advances in longarm technology occured in the time period 1730-1830?

really with your definition of "a rifleman" (lol) you can argue that really, breechloading is an unnecessary luxury and the core task of a rifleman can be performed with a Baker.

• Locked thread