Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

The Iron Rose posted:

What are your specs?

So long as you have a 750ti or better for a GPU it'll be playable at 1080p, (so a 660 or up will be as well good). CPU matters too.

They're pretty low, I built this this thing years ago. I've read articles that say I should be able to squeak and others that say no way.

AMD Phenom II X4 955
ATI HD 5770 1024Mb
8 Gigs Ram

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
You can probably do it but you may have to gently caress with the ini files to get an acceptable frame rate so your game will look worse than everyone else's.

Though from my experience with a highly borderline computer, you can at least leave textures on high with that much ram and it won't affect anything. It's mostly shadows and trees that kill you.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Spun Dog posted:

They're pretty low, I built this this thing years ago. I've read articles that say I should be able to squeak and others that say no way.

AMD Phenom II X4 955
ATI HD 5770 1024Mb
8 Gigs Ram

Yeaaaaaah that's going to be on the edge of playable if at all, though you could probably turn the resolution down and get 30FPS@1336x768 or something.

I recommend just saving up $180 and grabbing an R280X. The rest of your box is gunna hold you back but that upgrade can come later.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I beat the game, did a boatload of side-quests, and never managed to upgrade the swallow potion.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Rated PG-34 posted:

I beat the game, did a boatload of side-quests, and never managed to upgrade the swallow potion.

that's brutal - this was the first superior potion I found

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Has there been word on whether or not starting NG+ on death march will make you eligible for the trophy? If it doesn't I guess I'll just start a regular new game.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

JetsGuy posted:

I don't remember who said it earlier, but whomever made a comment about random recipes being random and frustrating is correct. I've still have one or two oils that are just "enhanced", and I think one of my bombs are just "enhanced" also. Dimetrium bombs I don't even know if there's an upgrade for. I only got them when Lambert gave them to me.

Snak is right, if you get them all facing the same way (I think it's towards the entrance) some door unlocks which gets you the diagrams.

The mastercrafted diagram is just in a cheat behind a pillar. I got it before I ever touched any of the statues.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

The Sharmat posted:

You can probably do it but you may have to gently caress with the ini files to get an acceptable frame rate so your game will look worse than everyone else's.

Though from my experience with a highly borderline computer, you can at least leave textures on high with that much ram and it won't affect anything. It's mostly shadows and trees that kill you.

The Iron Rose posted:

Yeaaaaaah that's going to be on the edge of playable if at all, though you could probably turn the resolution down and get 30FPS@1336x768 or something.

I recommend just saving up $180 and grabbing an R280X. The rest of your box is gunna hold you back but that upgrade can come later.

Thanks for the replies, I'll probably skip it until I can save up.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Goddamnit Geralt, that is not how you pronounce Dijkstra, unless is this an in-joke from the previous witcher games

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
How do you pronounce Dijkstra?

Because if it involves a phoneme that doesn't exist in English you really shouldn't be surprised they didn't force the VA to choke it out.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

What level are you? Have you done all the contracts? In my experience, valuable loot seems to be tied to chests near boss-type monsters as well as your level. While also being randomised.

The loot system seems very close to the ones found in games like Diablo. It doesn't really mesh well with the rest of the game being so "hand made". Anyway, it's not like it makes much of a difference in combat by the end. But I can see why not getting everything can be frustrating.

I'm more frustrated by the recipes I do have, but can't finish. drat Nekker hearts and Troll livers!

35... maybe 36. Done all the contracts. I did all but 1 before Isle of Mists :xd:. I've done all the sidequests except two or three that are bugged and forever in my "active" list even though I've completed them. I don't want to say I've done everything because I'm sure there's some ! I missed somewhere.

...but I think it's fair to say if anyone should have all the recipes, I should. :v:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I pronounce the first vowel sound differently because that's how my computer science professors said it. I pronounce i like "ei" in "eileen".

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

The Sharmat posted:

How do you pronounce Dijkstra?

Because if it involves a phoneme that doesn't exist in English you really shouldn't be surprised they didn't force the VA to choke it out.

Given that a lot of the guys in Novigrad use dutch names like Van Hoorn and Dijkstra, its kind of wierd as a dutch speaker that they didnt go to that effort.

Anyway, dutch 'ij' in Dijkstra is closer to "daykstra" than it is "deekstra": Here's a simple word using 'ij'.

Also, Dijkstra's troll has my first name, but I can't denounce the accuracy

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I pronounce the first vowel sound differently because that's how my computer science professors said it. I pronounce i like "ei" in "eileen".

Close to accurate, actually. 'Ei' in eileen or 'ay' in 'daybreak' if you go with a short 'ay'

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 6, 2015

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Spun Dog posted:

AMD Phenom II X4 955
ATI HD 5770 1024Mb
8 Gigs Ram

I have the same setup but with a 6870. It runs great at 1080p on low-mid settings but there can be some noticeable slow-downs in cutscenes with lots of characters/action. Not sure how big the difference is between our graphic cards but I'd say that's definitely your bottleneck.

JetsGuy posted:

35... maybe 36. Done all the contracts. I did all but 1 before Isle of Mists :xd:. I've done all the sidequests except two or three that are bugged and forever in my "active" list even though I've completed them. I don't want to say I've done everything because I'm sure there's some ! I missed somewhere.

...but I think it's fair to say if anyone should have all the recipes, I should. :v:

Ok, that's weird. Maybe loot is also somehow tied how far along the main story you are aswell? Although that wouldn't make sense.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That sounds normal. I did everything in the game except the Skellige sea ?s and was missing a bunch of superior oils. For whatever reason unlike potions and bombs you're not guaranteed to get all the missing oil recipes off the druid guy.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Sindai posted:

That sounds normal. I did everything in the game except the Skellige sea ?s and was missing a bunch of superior oils. For whatever reason unlike potions and bombs you're not guaranteed to get all the missing oil recipes off the druid guy.

I have literally camped him and meditated for days to get the last oil or two. All he ever has is runestone diagrams I've no use for. Maybe I'll buy em and he'll proc the oil.

PS I wish that rear end in a top hat bought some of my poo poo. I hate going in there and seeing how many thousands Ive given him. Usually I sell crap like my 100s of runestones I don't need. :v:

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Ok, that's weird. Maybe loot is also somehow tied how far along the main story you are aswell? Although that wouldn't make sense.

I think it is. Ive definitely noticed better gear the more I level and I rarely if ever got something worth less than 500 with all that Skellige ?s. Usually they were worth over 700.

(I mean in terms of selling, like the merchant gave me that much.)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I really wish there were glyphs that weren't sign buffs. I haven't upgraded signs and all an only use them in specific opportunities, like Aard to down a griffen or Yrden to massacre specters. Just like, anything +1 health regen (which is almost nothing), raw damage resists, anything that might be useful to someone who doesn't use signs at all.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Spun Dog posted:

Is there a chart or table somewhere that will give me an idea if my specs make the cut to play this? I'm not turning up anything useful in google.

I have an i5 4570, r9 270X and 8 gig ram and it's smooth and beautiful on mostly on high/ultra (no hairworks, grass density medium and maybe a few others knocked back).

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Spun Dog posted:

AMD Phenom II X4 955
ATI HD 5770 1024Mb
8 Gigs Ram

You'll probably be ok on low settings, though AMD cpus like that can be a real bottleneck (I used to have an X3).

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Snak posted:

I really wish there were glyphs that weren't sign buffs. I haven't upgraded signs and all an only use them in specific opportunities, like Aard to down a griffen or Yrden to massacre specters. Just like, anything +1 health regen (which is almost nothing), raw damage resists, anything that might be useful to someone who doesn't use signs at all.

Yeah, I wish they had gone the route of having the runes mean different things depending on where it's socketed. They were a nice bonus if that's what I'm aiming for anyway but I didn't think too much beyond that.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

sebmojo posted:

I have an i5 4570, r9 270X and 8 gig ram and it's smooth and beautiful on mostly on high/ultra (no hairworks, grass density medium and maybe a few others knocked back).

sebmojo posted:

You'll probably be ok on low settings, though AMD cpus like that can be a real bottleneck (I used to have an X3).

Thanks. I think I'm going to start putting cash aside for a new video card before I try it out.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Snak posted:

I feel the same about mutagens regarding to skills. There's basically 3 'colors' of mutagens and you basically just upgrade them to get buffs to your skills straight out. Couldve done a lot more with 'em.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
It would be pretty cool if the monster-specific mutagens gave similar (weaker?) versions of their decoction bonuses.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Spun Dog posted:

Thanks. I think I'm going to start putting cash aside for a new video card before I try it out.

It will fly on a GTX 970; I wouldn't go lower than mine.

w3 is going to be the go-to 'show off my new card' game for a while to come I think.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't have any problem with mutagens if you could disassemble the "special" ones into basic ones. Like I have a dozen wraith mutagens, which should be a specialized green mutagen that could be reduced to a regular green and used as an ingrediant for a greater green.

Also, the crafting is pretty annoying in how ingredients are treated. For some reason, Dark Steel Ingots are made from Steel Ingots and Dark Iron Ore, which means that if you have Dark Iron Ingots, you have to disassemble them back into Dark Iron Ore to make the Dark Steel Ingot. This is really dumb.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Snak posted:

I wouldn't have any problem with mutagens if you could disassemble the "special" ones into basic ones. Like I have a dozen wraith mutagens, which should be a specialized green mutagen that could be reduced to a regular green and used as an ingrediant for a greater green.

Yeah for real I was just dumping them after a certain point.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I'm starting to suspect that the entire polish language is a cruel joke. Kind of like welsh.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So I'm pretty much done with this game, though I occasionally go back to it for a quest here and there. Are there any of the high level witcher contracts (like 25+) that are really worth doing? I'm a little tired of the standard "Follow blood trail, find monster nest, kill monster" plotlines.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Snak posted:

even repeat dialogue that crafters say every time you talk to them? I'm finishing up the masterwork gear for my build before finishing the story, so I'm in and out of suppliers and craftsmen a lot and that extra 3-5 seconds to switch between looking at my inventory and the craftsman menu is annoying.

That armorer in Midscope trying to sell you on his brand of armor every time you talk to him. Then when you say farewell Geralt just stands there for a moment.

*Sigh* Soooooo loooong

Then the camera pulls out.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Just got back into playing this after finding the size of Velen too :stare:. I can't believe the amount of content in this game. Velen alone could easily be a game unto itself.

I kinda wanna try 100%-ing the game, I'm not sure that'd be good for my sanity/nonexistent social life though.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

dog nougat posted:

Just got back into playing this after finding the size of Velen too :stare:. I can't believe the amount of content in this game. Velen alone could easily be a game unto itself.

I kinda wanna try 100%-ing the game, I'm not sure that'd be good for my sanity/nonexistent social life though.

Yeah, I can't play for too many hours without feeling incredibly overwhelmed. I have to take a breather after a while.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Okay, so the Katakan decoction only raises crit chance by 5%?! so the best crit item in the game is meditating until there's storm and using Thunderbolt? That's kind of janky.

edit: also that archgriffin guarding the hidden treasure north of Ard Skellige? Is that the one people have been talking about? I didn't see what level it was because hudless, and I did die on the first attempt, but beat it easily in <5 mins on the second attempt. Superior Thunderbolt is hax.

Snak fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 7, 2015

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I just got killed by some crazy monster walking upright with antlers, it one-shotted me by making wood/roots come out of the ground. It was kinda spooky.

Me: "WHAT is that thing?"

Monster immediately turns towards me and casts woods and I die immediately. What just killed me? I wasn't close enough to see a monster type or level. This was in Velen near the Dragonslayer's grotto and Downwarren.

Edit: I may have been low on health, so it didn't totally drain all my vitality as I had though.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 7, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

dog nougat posted:

I just got killed by some crazy monster walking upright with antlers, it one-shotted me by making wood/roots come out of the ground. It was kinda spooky.

Monster immediately turns towards me and casts woods and I die immediately. What just killed me? I wasn't close enough to see a monster type or level. This was in Velen near the Dragonslayer's grotto and Downwarren.

I ran into one of those in my first 10 minutes in Velen. You'll find out what it is eventually through quests, but the most hardcore way to find out what stuff is is to slay one.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

dog nougat posted:

A Leshen. They're among the nastiest monsters in the game. Wooden deer-god things that have crazy magic powers and tend to be viciously territorial.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

dog nougat posted:

That's a Leshen. You didn't even get to the part where it summons possessed wolves.

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Leshen

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

dog nougat posted:

Edit: I may have been low on health, so it didn't totally drain all my vitality as I had though.

Definitely one of the better monster designs. Was very creepy when I first encountered one whole exploring. It almost one shotted me and I booked it out of the forest.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
That's a Leshen. They're super cool. :allears: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leshy

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Ravenfood posted:

That's a Leshen. They're super cool. :allears: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leshy

One thing I love about the Witcher is how most of the critters you encounter are drawn from actual folklore. Leshen, chorts, lubberkins, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

My first encounter with a Leshen basically amounted to me going "what the jesus gently caress is that thing, oh god I'm hosed :gonk:" and then downing it almost immediately with the instinctual reaction burst of Igni. It's made of wood, you see. :eng101:

This was pre-Igni nerf, however.