Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Man, I hope Talecrafting 2.0 is as awesome as I wanted 1.0 to be. The mechanics in Swords at Dawn just left me flat.

Yeah, this is why I didn't rate Swords at Dawn in the top 3 - Talecrafting is amazing as a concept, and should be a central element of every Changeling game, but the mechanics as presented are lousy enough that it's better to just make up your own stuff so your players can use the Rule of Three and Training Montages and Mysterious Strangers and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

I believe the criteria given is something that covers nearly everything but your eyes, so I think it'd be a step past that. So Darkman or bust.

I'm fine with trench coat, hat, glasses and staying out of direct sunlight.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

I believe the criteria given is something that covers nearly everything but your eyes, so I think it'd be a step past that. So Darkman or bust.

You could go with a burqa. Does the middle east have it's own ruling supernatural creatures in the nWod? If not it might just be a hotbed of vampire activity.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
In a similar vein to the changeling question, I'm an utter newbie who knows didily squat about WoD other than general RPG osmosis. Since no one else I know has ever played a WOD game either, I'm planning on running a Mage game starting Sunday. Are there any must have books I should read besides the core books? Is there any real reason not to just have Mage Sight on all the time? Am I boned?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Prison Warden posted:

In a similar vein to the changeling question, I'm an utter newbie who knows didily squat about WoD other than general RPG osmosis. Since no one else I know has ever played a WOD game either, I'm planning on running a Mage game starting Sunday. Are there any must have books I should read besides the core books? Is there any real reason not to just have Mage Sight on all the time? Am I boned?

Read Tome of the Mysteries. It's basically what the core book wanted to be, and will clear up a bunch of things you're probably either confused about, or have gotten wrong and don't know.

There's a limited number of spells you can have on your person at any time due to Spell Tolerance, but practically, there's very little reason to not just have Mage Armor and Mage Sight on 24/7, something which I think is being addressed in 2e (at least, Mage Sight definitely is by becoming more intrinsic).

As for if you're screwed? You sure picked one of the harder lines to run, but it should be okay so long as your players aren't munchkins or way more creative than you. You need to think on your feet in Mage.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Daeren posted:

As for if you're screwed? You sure picked one of the harder lines to run, but it should be okay so long as your players aren't munchkins or way more creative than you. You need to think on your feet in Mage.

The first game I ever GMed was mage and yeah, it's a tricky one to do without experience. It definitely made me better at improvising during sessions which has come in handy since.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

You could go with a burqa. Does the middle east have it's own ruling supernatural creatures in the nWod? If not it might just be a hotbed of vampire activity.

Speaking of vampires in the Middle East, I highly recommend A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night. It's got a stylistic feel that I think really fits Requiem.

To answer your question, like most things in nWoD nothing so much like that is set. There is a modern day Hunter compact focused on vampires based loosely on the Assassins in Ancient Mysteries, but I similarly like to think that the dead do well in the Middle East. I ran a Demon game in Dubai that briefly explored that.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Prison Warden posted:

Here's one thing I've noticed a lot of first time Mage STs screw up: Your players will be able to uncover a staggering amount of information just from mage sight and other 1-2 dot spells. It's okay. Let them find that stuff out. You don't need to have an entire session based around information gathering because that's what magic is for. Make the knowledge the scary thing, at least in part. One of the big themes is "knowing what man was never meant to know", play that up.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Yawgmoth posted:

Here's one thing I've noticed a lot of first time Mage STs screw up: Your players will be able to uncover a staggering amount of information just from mage sight and other 1-2 dot spells. It's okay. Let them find that stuff out. You don't need to have an entire session based around information gathering because that's what magic is for. Make the knowledge the scary thing, at least in part. One of the big themes is "knowing what man was never meant to know", play that up.

This is really, really important to note. Mages almost always get all the information they need to figure out what's going on in a mysterious situation, the issue is what they do with what they learn. You know the signature of whatever mage made this dude's skeleton rip itself out of him and permanently traumatize his roommate, now go find the guy who actually makes that signature. Or, maybe they recognize it as the signature of one of mages who's really high up in the political ranks - what do they do with that? Go confront him and hope they get an explanation, and not skeleton'd themselves? Do they go to a rival with it who might have more leverage, or is that what the rival wants because they're setting the guy up with fake resonance? Save it for blackmail? Tweak the signature themselves to screw someone else over?

In fact, if mages come up with nothing, it's a screaming red flag to them that Something Fucky's Going On. A mage who comes up with jackshit in an investigation is a mage who's almost certainly on the trail of another mage who wants to hide a secret, or some horrific information-devouring mind-being, or similarly weird poo poo.

Or, yknow, is chasing phantoms and there's really nothing out of the ordinary going on, with only their deranged obsession that they have to be right, damnit propelling them forward. That works too.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Why wasn't one of these in Dark Eras? Vampire or Demon during the Crusades sounds spot on and Vampire any any point during the Persian golden age would have potential given that it was one of THE hubs of trading during that part of history. I don't know much at all about the Middle East and that time period though so I might be mistaken in my assumptions.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

Starting off with mage, jumping directly into the deep end aren't ya.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Well the lake all looked the same depth until I'd already stepped off the bridge is the thing.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Prison Warden posted:

Well the lake all looked the same depth until I'd already stepped off the bridge is the thing.
Vampires are brought into the lake by another who knows how to swim its waters and then will release them to let them hunt and survive.

Werewolves are born on the shores of the lake and their families lead them through swimming and making the lake their home as much as the shore.

Changelings were dragged or fell in, escaped and are never going back but still have to deal with it.

Prometheans were washed up on its shores but it's hard for them to fly under the radar when they get water everywhere.

Hunters dip their toes and use suits and tools to swim and hunt but found the lake by accident.

Sin Eaters drowned but found they can breathe in water as well as land and brought a fish buddy back with them.

Mummies sank and try to find lost treasure on the lake bed with the help of the locals.

Demons have always known but never went until they forced themselves to. They prefer the shore anyway and try to get a private cabin.

Beasts sit at the bottom of the lake and blindly fling rocks at the shore and try to drown swimmers.

It's a very Mage thing to do to leap into the lake from the bridge without looking. You either swim and survive or your flailing sinks you or attracts something bad from the depths.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
The Beast Dark Era is going to be set during the Reconstruction (aftermath of the American Civil War).

I can only assume it will include rules for playing Andrew Johnson (for everyone who really wants to make their players shift uncomfortably). :v:

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Jesus Christ, post civil war Beast. Signature character a southern gentleman who uses his powers to teach those northerners about freedom while eating runaway slaves and whining about how oppressed he is

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tezzor posted:

Jesus Christ, post civil war Beast. Signature character a southern gentleman who uses his powers to teach those northerners about freedom while eating runaway slaves and whining about how oppressed he is

I actually did a virtual double take because this sounds like exactly what the Beast writers would do. Blargh,

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Man, I hope Talecrafting 2.0 is as awesome as I wanted 1.0 to be. The mechanics in Swords at Dawn just left me flat.

:agreed: Honestly, they should have worked that poo poo into the regular Contracts and left it at that, instead of having us use TvTropes as a sourcebook. Or hell, gave us story hooks for making contracts with those concepts or something, that'd be awesome.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

"Alright Louis, what's your character idea? Sum it up in a few words."
"Yankee Carpetbagger."
"Okay seriously you all can't be 'Yankee Carpetbagger' Beasts."
"Can I be General Sherman?"
"Then I'll be a plantation owner that doesn't have any slaves anymore so he's just gonna abandon the group and run to Texas after the start of the campaign."
"I've been reading a lot of Faulkner, so I'm gonna be Emily from A Rose For Emily."
"Dibs on Scarlett O'Hara."
"Alright fine you're all Yankee Carpetbaggers on a train to Charleston."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

No, guys, I'm sure that putting Beast in a setting that is still heavily romanticized and bemoans the loss of slavery and which traditionally is portrayed as poor, oppressed white rich people lorded over by carpetbagging northerners will be handled well, for Beast is that noted titan of sensitivity in games.

That's totally going to happen.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

How am I not surprised that a company born and headquartered in Stone Mountain, GA chose a historical setting that is romanticized by Southern Revanchist scum. My own parody of Horrible Historical Beast Settings was to re-cast The Help because I couldn't believe that the writers would select a worse representation.

Skeeter (A Punishment Beast) is a southern society girl who returns from college (Dark Mother University) determined to become a writer, but turns her friends' lives -- and a Mississippi town -- upside down when she decides to interview the black women who have spent their lives taking care of prominent southern families to feed on their suffering. Aibileen, Skeeter's best friend's housekeeper and also a cross-over splat, is the first to open up -- to the dismay of her friends in the tight-knit black community that fear the Beast's mechanical privilege will create erasure of their own story. Despite Skeeter's life-long friendships hanging in the balance, she and Aibileen continue their collaboration and soon more women come forward to tell their stories because the writing demands they love the Beast -- and as it turns out, they have a lot to say. Along the way, unlikely friendships are forged and a new sisterhood emerges, but not before everyone in town has a thing or two to say themselves when they become unwittingly -- and unwillingly -- caught up in the changing times and become nasty Heroes that are totally wrong about everything. Written by Walt Disney Pictures

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

They weren't actually born in Stone Mountain, just another Atlanta suburb. Both were outside the perimeter, though.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

I think a legit enjoyable Beast Dark Age would be Sparta. It's back in the age of myth and sandals (a great time for monsters and the occasional Roman vampire, werewolf of wild Germany and Gaul hex mage) and it's a society that actually supports being a horrible jerk on a daily basis. It would be an out-and-out villain campaign but still.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Luminous Obscurity posted:

The Beast Dark Era is going to be set during the Reconstruction (aftermath of the American Civil War).

What the gently caress is the Beast team smoking?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

tatankatonk posted:

What the gently caress is the Beast team smoking?

KFC's new Double Down.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I was more expecting the Klan as Heroes, that seems tasteful.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

I don't expect Beast: Post Civil War to be glorifying racism. It'll just be a somewhat tasteless take on the whole issue, reducing complex social issues down to evil people and good people, where the good people are also mass-murdering, child-kidnapping, psychological abusers.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tezzor posted:

No, that would require Beast writers to have self-awareness and admit Beasts are outright villains. That's not going to happen though, so instead you are going to get a freedman Beast who enjoys torturing random white people. This will be presented by the book as empowering and revolutionary. And also:

Kellsterik posted:

This will happen too.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

Kellsterik posted:

I know that Beast is defining the term Hero in a rather...unusual way, but honest to god this sentence is making something in my brain shrivel up and die. :smith:

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Punting posted:

I know that Beast is defining the term Hero in a rather...unusual way, but honest to god this sentence is making something in my brain shrivel up and die. :smith:

I actually had that same reaction when I was typing it!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
But you see this is good because by causing this disconnect you're forced to re-evaluate your pre-conceptions of heroes and maybe take some hard looks at the identities of marginalised people who're also everyone's best friend have superpowers and are literally torture-monsters.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

The vampire 2e book doesn't have any animals in it that I can see, would there be any in other books (GMC Core?) or should I just stat them out myself?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
This doc has a bunch of animals statted out: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xMwKNrnxhEuCQjP1qStbxl-C4JIyRmT1D4FVgSqjmpo/edit

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

LatwPIAT posted:

I don't expect Beast: Post Civil War to be glorifying racism. It'll just be a somewhat tasteless take on the whole issue, reducing complex social issues down to evil people and good people, where the good people are also mass-murdering, child-kidnapping, psychological abusers.

No but see now the villains will be literal slavers and rascists so Beasts have to look good, right?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Luminous Obscurity posted:

No but see now the villains will be literal slavers and rascists so Beasts have to look good, right?

I wonder if there'll be any Beasts who fight slavers while literally believing humans are lesser beings who deserve what they get because it's just the natural order. I bet there will.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

spectralent posted:

I wonder if there'll be any Beasts who fight slavers while literally believing humans are lesser beings who deserve what they get because it's just the natural order. I bet there will.

makes u think huh?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
No, Bob, you don't hate my slaver, in fact you love slavery because I'm a beast and I only do good things. You know this because I'm pumping dark mother waves into your head.

Now help me catch my escapees, I'm hungry for some suffering.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Athletics (hopping)

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
So we had our little character creation/game setup pow-wow thing for Mage yesterday. The character concepts that got brought up were a Mastigos Guardian of the Veil private detective who knows krav maga, a Obrimos scientist who upon Awakening got filled with Divine Purpose and became a war-wizard and a literal ninja Mastigos Silver Ladder, so I didn't really need to ask whether they wanted a more action focused game or something a bit more cerebral or complentative.

One of my two friends who isn't an big anime nerd (ninja guy) also immediately said he wanted an enhanced bulletproof trenchcoat ("duster") and as an adamantine arrow, a katana as a magical focus. I think he's really grasped the real essence of World of Darkness pretty intuitively.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Your friends are awesome and I want to join your group.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
I endorse this group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Prison Warden posted:

So we had our little character creation/game setup pow-wow thing for Mage yesterday. The character concepts that got brought up were a Mastigos Guardian of the Veil private detective who knows krav maga, a Obrimos scientist who upon Awakening got filled with Divine Purpose and became a war-wizard and a literal ninja Mastigos Silver Ladder, so I didn't really need to ask whether they wanted a more action focused game or something a bit more cerebral or complentative.

One of my two friends who isn't an big anime nerd (ninja guy) also immediately said he wanted an enhanced bulletproof trenchcoat ("duster") and as an adamantine arrow, a katana as a magical focus. I think he's really grasped the real essence of World of Darkness pretty intuitively.

:siren: Funhavers detected :siren: