Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I just reassign them to min sec. The min sec guys might not like snitches that much (you'll still occasionally see a Marked for Death thing pop up on your intel) but all of them are there for such a short time that they're already mentally checked out. None of them want to attack or kill another inmate and quadruple their stay.

This presumes you have a cell block that is min-sec only, of course, but I do that so nyerr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I am having an issue with trying to get all Prisoners fed in time. Currently my canteen/kitchen is like this:

My problem is, is that the prisoners will pile in, stand still completely and then 15-30 minutes later decide to grab food. On top of that, cooks never go to the far side serving trays meaning people who go in that way either stand there or go all the way to the other side. I've made sure I have right amount of kitchen equipment and I do use prisoners to cook food. Is there anything more I can do?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Angela Christine posted:

Yeah, you need staff only airlocks to keep people in their zones.

Tried that, didn't work. They somehow made it through. I figured, "well, screw them".

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SkySteak posted:

I am having an issue with trying to get all Prisoners fed in time. Currently my canteen/kitchen is like this:

My problem is, is that the prisoners will pile in, stand still completely and then 15-30 minutes later decide to grab food. On top of that, cooks never go to the far side serving trays meaning people who go in that way either stand there or go all the way to the other side. I've made sure I have right amount of kitchen equipment and I do use prisoners to cook food. Is there anything more I can do?

How long is your eating time scheduled? I find it's a lot better to slot it in 2 hour chunks rather than 1 hour - it lets the stragglers get a meal in and gives the cooks more time to finish cooking up extra meals. Also if you put free time directly after meal time, anyone who is still eating will finish their meal before leaving rather than having to abandon it.

In general I find that one mega-canteen doesn't work very well though, for a bunch of reasons (not least of which is that gathering all your prisoners in a room at once is a great way to kick off a huge fight, especially when they've got unsatisfied needs like say, being hungry). You might find it works better to build a second canteen and let your prisoners divide themselves between them.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You only need one table in the whole canteen. Tables just take up space and restrict movement between the bench and serving table.

They do look pretty sandwiched between two benches, though.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

How long is your eating time scheduled? I find it's a lot better to slot it in 2 hour chunks rather than 1 hour - it lets the stragglers get a meal in and gives the cooks more time to finish cooking up extra meals. Also if you put free time directly after meal time, anyone who is still eating will finish their meal before leaving rather than having to abandon it.

In general I find that one mega-canteen doesn't work very well though, for a bunch of reasons (not least of which is that gathering all your prisoners in a room at once is a great way to kick off a huge fight, especially when they've got unsatisfied needs like say, being hungry). You might find it works better to build a second canteen and let your prisoners divide themselves between them.

I have tried putting a 2 hour eating slot with an hours free time afterwards. Before that I have 4 hours of work, thus getting any little boost I can from prisoners working in the kitchen. With this new system I can get about 80-90% of everyone dealt with. I may move all the cookers and fridges right up against the doors too.

I didn't bother with a mega canteen because I did not know if those actually functioned properly now.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Prisoners standing around with their thumbs in their butts during mealtime despite being hungry can be caused by having an insufficient number of serving tables in that canteen.

You have five already, I know, but I usually do about four in a canteen half that size.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
He's also only got 16 prisoners and room for 36, so that canteen is either way overkill or preparation for expansion.

It might be so big for the prisoners amount that it's bugging out the queue?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

He's also only got 16 prisoners and room for 36, so that canteen is either way overkill or preparation for expansion.

It might be so big for the prisoners amount that it's bugging out the queue?

That's the guard counter, he has 191 prisoners.

Still kind of small canteen if that's your only one though. At the start of eat time only 20-25 prisoners will be queued up to grab food right away.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 7, 2015

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

1 prisoner per food-spot on the serving tray, yeah.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
GOD drat GANG MEMBERS GO TO YOUR PAROLE HEARINGS UGH

(at least, I think that's the problem)

Splode fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 7, 2015

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Known bug, slated to be fixed in the next version.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I wonder if your can still have programs of they take it over.

Probably not, but I would love to see AA meeting sponsored by the East Side Saints

This is what happen, it's great. I had a gang take over the common room and the AA guys still rocked up for their meeting, they don't even get charged for the privilege.

Obviously the prison gangs have enormous respect for the program.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Splode posted:

GOD drat GANG MEMBERS GO TO YOUR PAROLE HEARINGS UGH

(at least, I think that's the problem)

Oh is that why all my death row inmates aren't going to their clemency hearings? I couldn't figure out what was going on there but all the people on death row in my prison are gang members right now so it's probably the same bug.

Seems like gangs are still a bit buggy in general. You can't modify the cell of a gang member (the same way you can't modify territory claimed by a gang) unless you move them out first, which is kind of annoying when I'm trying to upgrade a whole block of cells and a couple of them have gang members in them who apparently really hate the idea of being given a TV in their cell.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Oh is that why all my death row inmates aren't going to their clemency hearings? I couldn't figure out what was going on there but all the people on death row in my prison are gang members right now so it's probably the same bug.

Seems like gangs are still a bit buggy in general. You can't modify the cell of a gang member (the same way you can't modify territory claimed by a gang) unless you move them out first, which is kind of annoying when I'm trying to upgrade a whole block of cells and a couple of them have gang members in them who apparently really hate the idea of being given a TV in their cell.

Yep, I knew it was a problem for death row gang members but didn't join the dots that it would also gently caress up the parole queue too.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Im trying to map out the next iteration of what I lovingly call "Oz V14.6". Before the introduction of gangs and cell ratings I had perfected a system of mirrored 80 man cell blocks serviced by a centralized corridor of kitchens and laundries. Adding mail services or commissary shouldnt be a problem, but I have never made a successful factory setup. But tackling gangs seems like the biggest structural problem to any new prison, how to contain and control gangs. Does anyone have any ideas on how to segregate and contain their destructive actions?

My initial theory is that in any "mixed" facility gangs should be placed in the Max-Sec wing. Even while Med and Min-Sec prisoners may be gang members, the best course of action is to elevate their security rating. This would fit in the prison economy, as Max-sec prisoners give the most daily cash, while they are the least likely to participate in any work programs. Meanwhile your "trust worthy" Med-Sec may be put to work as janitors, factory workers, and cooks. I dont believe in Min-Sec or Protected custody unless they are doing the safest of janitor jobs, for the warden and such.

Inevitablelongshot
Mar 26, 2010
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=490610742&searchtext=

Death row patch. The death row gang members go to parole hearings with this. Works fine for me once I enabled the mod in the ingame menu.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Is there anything worse than an extremely volatile, extremely deadly legendary prisoner? So many dead guards and guard dogs :negative:

When my armed guards finally shot him dead I was so relieved.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Extremely tough on top of that

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

Is there anything worse than an extremely volatile, extremely deadly legendary prisoner? So many dead guards and guard dogs :negative:

I had a guy like that show up on my death row. He was dead within 8 hours and I didn't even see it happen. I guess he started to freak out, destroy his cell and when my guards went in to subdue him he attacked them, then I'm guessing my armed guard blasted him in the face because when i scrolled over to the cell he was standing over the corpse of the prisoner. Still, no cops died, so no harm done really. Didn't even reset my incident counter in financials for some reason (but there was the standard 50K hit to valuation for the death).

This game is insanely addicting and probably the best value purchase of a game I ever made. I got it on sale for 5 Euro and have well over 100 hours in already since I bought it.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

Add gang leader to that. Once he's shot his gang riots.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Coolguye posted:

Extremely tough on top of that

The first time I tried armed guards on freefire was a extremely volatile tough deadly fearless strong fast etc prisoner who was throwing his own one man riot in my canteen.

Shoulda just handed him the gun man.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
I'm thinking once you start needing armed guards for real (not just for suppression) you also need to design rooms and patrol routes so that armed guards are always at a distance from the prisoners. That way they have time to shoot.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I had a legendary with expert fighter a little while ago. Half the time he would disarm the armed guards and start shooting at them with their own shotguns.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
I need to rethink my dog patrols to constantly search every cell. Dogs are great at finding contraband. Not so great at NOT RIPPING OPEN THE THROATS OF UNCONSCIOUS PRISONERS. Holy crap...

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've got a legendary prisoner right now, he got into a fight and disarmed all of my six guards that were there for him so I turned on freefire.

Shotgun blast to the face, he's merely unconscious. Holy poo poo.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I am working on my latest prison. I want to add a max/supermax/deathrow wing. Do I need to have an air gap? Will remote doors for access control suffice? And if I have a max wing, do I not have shared space anymore?

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Dirk Pitt posted:

I am working on my latest prison. I want to add a max/supermax/deathrow wing. Do I need to have an air gap? Will remote doors for access control suffice? And if I have a max wing, do I not have shared space anymore?

I find that supermax works best if they're completely isolated from everyone else. I usually make an area that's surrounded by staff only areas for them. They have a small canteen, yard, shower and eventually some programming or chapel completely isolated from everyone else. Death row doesn't even need that much because they never come out of their cells. For Max, its a tossup. They cause most of the problems if you let them mix with other security levels and its a good way for them to get contraband/weapons but building a completely separate area for them can be pricey depending on how much money you have to work with. If you can afford it I'd recommend doing the same thing as supermax for them.

Some screenshots of my latest prison to illustrate:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dirk Pitt posted:

You can still make use of shared space with a max sec wing, but you'll probably want to put your min/med sec on a different schedule than your max sec wing so that you won't end up with giant crowds of prisoners in your canteens and yards and such. Leaving your chapels open access is generally okay since prisoners rarely cause trouble during religious services and they will only ever book as many people as the chapel can actually hold anyway so you don't have to worry about massive crowds of idle prisoners hanging around just waiting to kick off. For yards/common rooms I like to manually designate them to specific security levels, but you can leave them open if you want. The biggest risk with leaving them open is that you might have a snitch or ex LEO prisoner that you didn't notice in your min/med population, and while they can usually survive okay among min sec, they will certainly get shanked if they're mixing with max sec prisoners.

Supermax you probably want to cut off from the rest of your prison, but don't feel like you need to give them full facilities. Supermax is where you put the people that will cause problems no matter HOW well treated they are, so you might as well just give them the bare minimum necessary and keep them in lockup for most of the day anyway. Death Row you can put wherever you like - they only leave their cells for clemency hearings and they aren't a target like PC prisoners so security isn't a huge concern.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
I am having trouble getting more gangsters. I have 200 inmates with about half of them med and max sec evenly. Should I get more max sec guys?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

jerichojx posted:

I am having trouble getting more gangsters. I have 200 inmates with about half of them med and max sec evenly. Should I get more max sec guys?

Gangs only really become a threat when a leader comes in and typically those guys are maxsec so sure. You can get plenty of footsoldiers with med sec but they don't do much

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

jerichojx posted:

Yeah the odds of gang members goes up with security level so more max sec = more gangs. As mentioned you also won't get leaders at all unless you're bringing in max sec guys, so to really see gangs in action you probably just want to go fully max sec.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't played this game since they've added in cell grading. How do I move my prisoners to better cells?

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I haven't played this game since they've added in cell grading. How do I move my prisoners to better cells?

The guards will do it automatically eventually or you can micromanage and select a prisoner then right click on an unoccupied cell and it will queue a guard to move him there.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

A Pale Horse posted:

The guards will do it automatically eventually or you can micromanage and select a prisoner then right click on an unoccupied cell and it will queue a guard to move him there.

Awesome, thanks.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

So I decided to sell a prison so that I could start from scratch with a bunch of money, and I thought to myself "why don't I just accept the 100 prisoners available first to get that sweet 250k in cash". And then I got to find out how many people could fit in my holding cell (about a hundred it turns out!)

Shortly after that screenshot it exploded and I had 100 angry prisoners raiding the nearby armory, and over 50 people dead in the next 24 hours. Good times. Never figured out why my much bigger holding cell didn't work (was stuck on the "enclosed by walls and doors" requirement, but it seemed secure to me).

That said, they really hated this one snitch:

No idea how he survived.

e. upon further testing it's probably because I had the 2 squares under the jail door entrance as part of the holding cell, woops.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Not really sure the "Black Hole of Calcutta" approach to prison management is that sound.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Mr. Despair posted:

e. upon further testing it's probably because I had the 2 squares under the jail door entrance as part of the holding cell, woops.

Ayup. A single "holding cell" tile under a door will gently caress up the whole thing. I've been running a lot of gen-pop prisons lately and have to deal with that constantly.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

The Deadly Hume posted:

Not really sure the "Black Hole of Calcutta" approach to prison management is that sound.

Well, I tried it again. This time I called I. Firefighters to cause a fire on the main entrance so that no one could escape. Eventually I was arrested and the national guard called in, but there was such a back log of herses that they couldn't enter the compound. Anarchy reigned forever, a+ prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

MisterOblivious posted:

Ayup. A single "holding cell" tile under a door will gently caress up the whole thing. I've been running a lot of gen-pop prisons lately and have to deal with that constantly.

How does that work with cell grading?

• Locked thread