Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Well, that was a day of cricket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Well, that was a day of cricket

Yeah, 274-4 is a good start but you need to see both teams bat

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Broad "I think that's my best figures in all cricket. I once got 7 for 12 against Bolton under 15s."

Australia - officially worse than a bunch of northern fourteen year olds.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Clarke sent out to the press because he's the best at lying to reporters.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
I feel kinda bad hating on Watto so much :(

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He'd just have been out LBW and wasted a review.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
It's not like they were using them.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
the women can still win the ashes at least

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"I was thinking if he pitches it up I'm going to hit it as far as I can," Clarke said

gotta play your shots mate.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Today has been brilliant.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Lol Australia.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Australia could not have possibly played worse. That's probably the only positive to come out of that trainwreck of a day

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Holy poo poo he really is in denial.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

The funnier quote in that article is

quote:

and I thought like I've always said, the better the bowling, the more aggressive you've got to be. You live by the sword, you die by the sword

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Why are people getting on Clarke's back on this, he was the second highest Aussie scorer

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
I was expecting some lolstralia this series but nothing to this magnitude. What an embarrassing way to relinquish the ashes.

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

root will have the triple ton up by tea lunch today so broad will have some competition

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Today has been brilliant.

Top-notch

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The problem is that Cricket Australia will do another review, like it did back in 2009, come to the similar conclusions, and probably ask for more 20/20 cricket.

James Sutherland has been there too long, it's time to do a full clean out of the place. And bring back the ACB.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Even if Root gets a triple, 8 for 15 off 9.3 is disgusting and will be remembered for a good while.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

EMC posted:

The funnier quote in that article is

That's was some of the dumbest poo poo I've read in a long time. How about you leave nearly everything and make them bowl to you when they've got their tails up, not flash and slash at anything outside off, you loving peanut.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

This is a great batting pitch lads

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

You Am I posted:

The problem is that Cricket Australia will do another review, like it did back in 2009, come to the similar conclusions, and probably ask for more 20/20 cricket.

James Sutherland has been there too long, it's time to do a full clean out of the place. And bring back the ACB.

The problem seems to be that there aren't enough top level young players coming through, I reckon they need some sort of talent identification program and save a couple of spots on tour for the most promising U23 batsman and bowler at the time to come and get a feel for cricket at the top level. When you look at the glory years in the 90s, a lot of those really good players came into the side quite young, got dropped a few months later but were able to work on their game at the FC level and make their way back into the national side.

The current plan seems to be to just wait for the batsmen to develop themselves in FC cricket and bring them in when they're in their 30s and hope that they can adapt to playing at the top level. It worked with Hussey and Rogers, but SMarsh, North, Quiney, Cowan, Voges and probably a few more have all come in and looked out of their depth.

The other problem is our pitches are pretty one dimensional and I think after today if a review doesn't recommend converting half the decks in the country into raging greentops like Trent Bridge then CA is pretty much incapable of learning anything.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

auzdark posted:

I feel kinda bad hating on Watto so much :(

Nope nope this is nonsense

Watto would not have done any better yesterday and stunk for his entire Test career, thoroughly deserving of what he got

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
He was easily one of the best batsmen in Australia for a period of a couple of years. Let's not go crazy. He won two Alan border medals and an Australian test player of the year award. I mean he wasn't brilliant or anything but be deserved to be there.

Since Clarke became captain though he has sucked.

Anyways good play England. What can really be said. A drubbing by the better team.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Seeing Clarke after the game I feel sorry for him, the poor guy looks so dejected. Assuming England win this game CA should let him captain the last game and then have a quiet word to get him to retire. Ditching him for the last game would be cruel.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Yeah, seems like a poor way to send off a guy who was one of our best batsmen.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

gay picnic defence posted:

The other problem is our pitches are pretty one dimensional and I think after today if a review doesn't recommend converting half the decks in the country into raging greentops like Trent Bridge then CA is pretty much incapable of learning anything.

You just need to put the character back into the Australian Test pitches, it might be hard with drop-in's due to the AFL, but I'm pretty sure they'd be able to work something out with enough time and motivation.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Our first class pitches are nothing like our test pitches. That's a problem.

Here are some suggestions.

1. A custom built Indian style dirt track in the northern territory where all first class teams have to play at least one game a year
2. First class games go for 5 days to encourage more traditionally Australian pitches in first class cricket.
3. More games against new Zealand in new Zealand. If not the test side then a yearly A tour. CA can pay for it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The ball didn't even move that much. They just reacted to it like it was doing actual wizardry in front of their eyes.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

goatface posted:

The ball didn't even move that much. They just reacted to it like it was doing actual wizardry in front of their eyes.

Well that's often all it takes. It's a mental game cricket and Australians are a bit worried by a moving ball. Put England on a slightly bouncy Australian wicket and it would be the same story.

Remember how English batsman used to react to a cracking Australian pitch. Same deal.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They should do a pitch exchange, for the good of the sport. Hire a cargo 747.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

4. Every 2 to 3 years an A team tour of the northern hemisphere. Play games against Ireland, the larger counties, England A, etc.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

The next year is going to be pretty hilarious for Australian cricket, they are going to be handing out baggy greens at a record pace, it will be like that beautiful era a few years ago where we seemed to have guys come in for 1-2 tests and never be seen again.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I don't think the pitch was as much of a green top as made out. The pitch produced at Lord's last year against India was so green you couldn't tell it from the outfield, where as this one all the green's pretty much gone out of it. I'd be more looking at the stat, what was it, that only 8 balls in the 111 faced by Australia would have hit the stumps

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Who will be the next Bryce McGain I wonder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

goatface posted:

They should do a pitch exchange, for the good of the sport. Hire a cargo 747.

It's the conditions that scare Australians. It's chilly, the ball swings, there are ghosts haunting castles. It's just a rough place for Australians to tour.

There are two obvious weaknesses with Australian batsman. They don't play spin well and they don't play swing well.

We can create a spinning wicket in Australia but we can't bring English conditions here. What we can do is play more and more cricket in New Zealand which is a poor man's England and send more young cricketers to the northern hemisphere.

I'd still do tours of Asia with the A side mind but not embarrassing the country on ashes tours is mission number 1.