Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Magnus Gallant posted:

Do you have any pets?

like animals, or sex partners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Highwire used to play here. You jog when you wanted to catch up, so follow through with the slang.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Tremendous Taste posted:

If you can get decent tickets in the lower bowl without selling your organs, you can mix anticipation with a decent understanding of the game to follow it

I imagine that's near impossible for NFL/NCAA in texas though

I understand the game, sure. But the only time I bothered with a pro game, I was on the top deck at the old Meadowlands in the mid 90s. Even binoculars won't save your Sunday then.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Amoeba102 posted:

I started actually looking it up

x/x as x approaches 0 is 1, but 0/0 is called an indeterminant because you can have x^2/x, x/x, x/x^3 which all would be 0/0 as x approaches 0, and they would evaluate as 0, 1, infinity. SO it's confusing. Usually you'd use the derivatives and limits to determine the value, so hmmm.

f(x)/g(x) as x approaches 0 = f'(x)/g'(x) as x approaches 0; x/x as x -> 0 = 1/1 as x approaches 0. Yeah checks out 0/0 is 1 by L'hoptials rule. All i remember was the sin(x)/x example, I swear x/x was taught to me as not being determined.

I have the same feeling as you do. I have a nagging doubt that some teacher told me 0/0 is not equal to 1 but I don't see why.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Amoeba102 posted:

Highwire used to play here. You jog when you wanted to catch up, so follow through with the slang.

English, motherfucker.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Tremendous Taste posted:

game attendance enjoyment index

1) NHL
2) NFL
3) MLS
4) MLB
5) NBA

we probably disagree on a lot of sports things but we agree on this

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Tremendous Taste posted:

like animals, or sex partners

Animals.

But mainly I was asking as part of the joke that I thought I hosed your mom but you have two dads so I was confused as to what I hosed.

It wasn't a great joke

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Allen Wren posted:

wtf is highwire
wtf is a jog

A person

A typo of jpg

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

0/0 is not equal to 1 because it's about the journey not the destination. 0/0 is 1 if you're talking about x/x as x approaches 0, but it's 0 if it's x^2/x as x approaches 0. The can both be expressed as 0/0 but would evaluate differently. 0/0 without any context is meaningless is the point of it.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

busb posted:

A person

A typo of jpg

Highwire is an awesome person

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Allen Wren posted:

If I had my druthers, I'd be watching MLB and the Ashes. Only one of them is on my cable plan.

If you have ESPN, ESPN3 is showing the ashes. I was able to wake up this morning and watch Australia's entire first innings before I went to work.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Why do Americans, like a lot of Australians, follow bad, parochial games with no international draw?

MLS is the only sport in that list taken seriously.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Magnus Gallant posted:

Animals.

But mainly I was asking as part of the joke that I thought I hosed your mom but you have two dads so I was confused as to what I hosed.

It wasn't a great joke

It was probably my sheepdog, then

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

busb posted:

Why do Americans, like a lot of Australians, follow bad, parochial games with no international draw?

We aren't ashamed of our prison island

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Amoeba102 posted:

0/0 is not equal to 1 because it's about the journey not the destination. 0/0 is 1 if you're talking about x/x as x approaches 0, but it's 0 if it's x^2/x as x approaches 0. The can both be expressed as 0/0 but would evaluate differently. 0/0 without any context is meaningless is the point of it.

True. But I am enjoying thinking about how two zeroes can make a 1. And a 1 and a 0 make a 10

But 0^3=0, so 0^3/0=0/0=1

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

As far as extremely parochial sports, attending the National Lacrosse League is incredibly fun

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

busb posted:

I like association football, and I think it's really on the rise here. I still watch EPL fairly regularly.

But honestly basketball is by far my favorite sport, both college and pro, and while it's international presence is pretty terrible it does exist!

F1 is also far better than Nascar.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

chaoslord posted:

If you have ESPN, ESPN3 is showing the ashes. I was able to wake up this morning and watch Australia's entire first innings before I went to work.

How did you manage to watch the entire 20 minutes ¿?????????

Phone posting is hard

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

busb posted:

Hockey is taken seriously.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

busb posted:

I'm not surprised that a bunch of British convicts aren't aware of the glorious athletic games that take place outside of the boundaries of their prison colony.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Magnus Gallant posted:

True. But I am enjoying thinking about how two zeroes can make a 1. And a 1 and a 0 make a 10

But 0^3=0, so 0^3/0=0/0=1

0^3/0 would be 0 if you do the thinking properly. 0/0 is meaningless, you can only look at functions as they approach 0 to figure out what they should be. You can't just evaluate individual parts and get your answer. 0/0 can be any value. Take the ax/x, at x = 0 this evaluates 0/0, but the limit as x approaches 0 would be a.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Hockey games are a whole lot of fun to attend. There's such an excitement to it and they keep it up most of the period even with downtimes for commercials or whatever. I like games where something interesting can happen at any moment. I've been to some baseball games and one football game and they were both just a whole lot of setup for a few seconds of action, which I found really dull.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

busb posted:

How did you manage to watch the entire 20 minutes ¿?????????

Phone posting is hard

It was pretty tough! I had to keep pinching myself to make sure what I was seeing and also needed to make breakfast.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.

Tremendous Taste posted:

game attendance enjoyment index

1) NHL
2) NFL
3) MLS
4) MLB
5) NBA

I would see nhl and NBA live because of the small field of play. Baseball is great to see live but you miss a lot because of the size, also being able to see the strike zone is nice. Football fields are huge and the weather sucks and I like instant replay.

I don't care much for mls.

Auto racing is the best live.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I feel like I would like basketball if I ever got a chance to get into it.

It's basically the same as hockey.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

WHICH WAY MADNESS posted:

Football fields are huge and the weather sucks and I like instant replay.

It's hard to justify being irrationally upset about a call/no call if you see a replay. Net minus imo

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I remember being young and going to a racing event. The cars come by loudly and then they are gone and nothing happens till they come around again. So it becomes just watching the TVs outside, but that's not anything exclusive. And I never found auto racing exciting to watch to begin with.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Amoeba is trolling you all, by hockey he doesn't mean the Canadian parochial sport, but proper hockey which is legit international, has a world cup and is in the real Olympics

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Asiina posted:

I feel like I would like basketball if I ever got a chance to get into it.

It's basically the same as hockey.

NBA is just blah now imo, unless you're watching top teams it's just dull relative to even 10 years ago

the game is great, I'll just chill and watch pickup in the park sometimes

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.

busb posted:

Australia is the southern hemisphere America.

Also afaik America seems to pride itself on not giving a gently caress what the rest of the world thinks.

Also also, lol at you giving us poo poo for liking those sports, when bull riding is literally a thing in our country.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

busb posted:

Amoeba is trolling you all, by hockey he doesn't mean the Canadian parochial sport, but proper hockey which is legit international, has a world cup and is in the real Olympics

if it was proper white people would play it

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

BottleKnight posted:

F1 is also far better than Nascar.
Well no poo poo, and steaks are better than hamburgers but sometimes you just want a burger.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Tremendous Taste posted:

if it was proper white people would play it

I think it's the other way around

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I think I could drive nascar if everyone was using automatic transmission cars.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

modern propriety is inherently linked with whiteness, it is the cultural heritage :britain:

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

Amoeba102 posted:

I remember being young and going to a racing event. The cars come by loudly and then they are gone and nothing happens till they come around again. So it becomes just watching the TVs outside, but that's not anything exclusive. And I never found auto racing exciting to watch to begin with.

I think we have different ideas of what is exciting. For instance, posting about math

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

busb posted:

I have a relative with a gold medal in Hockey.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
I'm not sure who taste is trying to troll here, but it's probably himself

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Were you taking about Nascar or actual auto racing before as being exciting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

busb posted:

I'm not sure who taste is trying to troll here, but it's probably himself

Everyone looks like their avatar -> Taste is black