Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

I would like to make stir fry with tofu in it. I have no stirring/frying experience. Does anyone have newbie-friendly recipe, ideally one not containing broccoli or cauliflower?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

bartlebyshop posted:

I would like to make stir fry with tofu in it. I have no stirring/frying experience. Does anyone have newbie-friendly recipe, ideally one not containing broccoli or cauliflower?
A beginner, eh?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS0SGI2uAvw
(here is similar, but written instead of a video http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-stir-fry-chicken-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-171737

Remember, your home stovetop is NOT as hot as a commercial wok system, so don't start flipping your poo poo right away. Give it 30 seconds or so for your tofu to cook and brown a bit before you start going hog wild flipping stuff. Also, you can freeze tofu and then thaw it in order to have it be springier or fluffier or whatever - Gives it a better more interesting texture.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/04/24/stir_frying_basics_three_essential_rules_plus_a_recipe_for_stir_fried_tofu.html
Cool recipe with some helpful tips. Stir-frying can be a multi-stage process. Doesn't have to be, though. With that recipe were you to additionally add bok choy or sliced cabbage or whatever you would probably enjoy it, as well.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 6, 2015

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

bartlebyshop posted:

Mapo tofu, while not a stir fry , is cooked in a wok and is some good spicy stuff.
I'm on my phone so can't link to any recipes right now but Google should get you one.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Drifter posted:

Most likely Safflower. Maybe some Marigold petals and old saffron stems. Even if it looks similar it's not really worth it to buy so cheaply as the flavor is pretty neutral, even when bloomed.

It's called 'American Saffron', I think, if they're being somewhat honest.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That's what it's for. It's not supposed to be a flavouring (well, it has a slight bitterness), but rather for making food look pretty.

Thank you! It didn't say anything about being "American Saffron" - I'm surprised they can get away with misleading labeling like that but I guess the price makes it obvious enough.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
In America, you can label anything anything! Freedom!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I made some braised chicken thighs last night and I'm wondering how I can do it better.

I seasoned the chicken legs quarters with olive oil and dried seasonings, then browned the meat in a vast iron skillet, removed the meat, put in some onion and garlic, then a little wine, returned the meat, covered, and popped it into the oven.

So my question is about the dried seasoning. It looks like a bunch fell off the chicken while browning and ended up burnt on the onions by the time I got to that point. Is there a better way? Do I need to wipe out the pan before the onions? Different seasoning?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ron Jeremy posted:

I made some braised chicken thighs last night and I'm wondering how I can do it better.

I seasoned the chicken legs quarters with olive oil and dried seasonings, then browned the meat in a vast iron skillet, removed the meat, put in some onion and garlic, then a little wine, returned the meat, covered, and popped it into the oven.

So my question is about the dried seasoning. It looks like a bunch fell off the chicken while browning and ended up burnt on the onions by the time I got to that point. Is there a better way? Do I need to wipe out the pan before the onions? Different seasoning?

Deglaze between batched of meat, or once the meat has finished if you're only doing one or two batches? Lower your heat? When I say deglaze between batches I mean you would reserve the liquid, to add it back into the mix after you saute or whatever your other vegetables.

If you're really not very confident controlling your pan's heat, you can opt to not herb the meat while it browns in the pan, and then just spend a minute or two blooming the herbs with a little oil on their own, which would probably work pretty well given that you're braising the chicken.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 6, 2015

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
I've always found the best way to season chicken is to stick it under the skin, especially with fresh herbs.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Ron Jeremy posted:

When I do braised chicken I brown the chicken with just salt and pepper, the herbs and seasonings go in after deglazing the pan along with the brazing liquid. Also, what the olive oil extra virgin? Because you don't want extra virgin olive oil for browning because it has a very low smoke point. Also I would not braise stuff in a cast iron vessel unless it's a ceramic coated one, all that liquid can break down the seasoning and the wine could react with the iron to produce some nasty flavors.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I don't cook exclusively on cast iron, just predominantly, and not once have I ever had any change of flavor versus if I make the same thing in stainless steel, or getting my season ruined.

Is that something you've experienced, or is it just 'common wisdom'? Good catch with the EVOO, though. It's almost a waste of money/the oil itself to use that for high temperature cooking.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 6, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Drifter posted:

I don't cook exclusively on cast iron, just predominantly, and not once have I ever had any change of flavor versus if I make the same thing in stainless steel, or getting my season ruined.

Is that something you've experienced, or is it just 'common wisdom'? Good catch with the EVOO, though. It's almost a waste of money/the oil itself to use that for high temperature cooking.

It happened to me once with my old cast iron pan and red wine used for deglazing, tasted nasty.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

When I do braised chicken I brown the chicken with just salt and pepper, the herbs and seasonings go in after deglazing the pan along with the brazing liquid.
I wouldn't even use pepper on a piece of meat that I'm about to sear off, because it can char and turn bitter. But yeah, sear the meat either bare or just salted, reserve, sweat your aromatics and bloom whatever spices need it, deglaze, raise to simmer, bring everything back together. Unless you're doing something fancy there's really no reason to add your spices to the meat instead of the braising liquid.

Now, if you're dry braising (which really isn't braising at all) you generally want to apply a rub to the meat. But that's a whole other thing.

Drifter posted:

I deglaze and cook with acidic poo poo in cast iron on a regular basis and I've never run into any problems. The main downside is that your sauces tend to be, all else being equal, cloudier than if you built them on stainless. Not really an issue for most braises and stews, but if you want a crystal clear broth/stock for presentation cast iron probably isn't your go-to.

As for off tastes, I assume if and when it happens it's because of insufficient seasoning of the cooking surface. At least that's been my experience with aluminium cookware (where you don't really build up the kind of seasoning you get on cast iron).

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Cook them in a Dutch oven. The single pot I would take to a desert island.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lawnie posted:

Cook them in a Dutch oven. The single pot I would take to a desert island.

I'd take 2 30gal stock pots and then strap them on like giant boots and then just walk away from the island over the water. Float so hard call me Root Beer.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I visited the local halal butcher, this is what he's got for short rib.

Does that look right? It's 10 lbs and I think I only need 5. Should I take left half or the right half?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 7, 2015

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Does that look right? I think I only need half of it, if I took the left half would that work?
Short answer: yep.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What's the long answer

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

In America, you can label anything anything! Freedom!

This is actually so untrue it is laughable. The problem isn't that there are no rules to labeling, rather the labeling rules are extremely convoluted, surprisingly strict in some cases and far behind the times in others. And the cherry on the cake of this mess is that enforcement is spotty and often driven by competitors rather than consumers. Your government at work!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Thanks for confirming what I said. It's a jungle out there.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Unless I've got a pool of hot fat from recently-cooked breakfast meat, I don't do eggs in the cast iron, because they pick up too iron and turn a nasty grey color.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Does that look right? It's 10 lbs and I think I only need 5. Should I take left half or the right half?

Be careful when they load the brontosaurus into your car, it may tip over.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Hey so I am going for stripers (and blues) tonight. Any recipe recommendations for striper? I've never actually cooked it before.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I am hosting a dinner where there will be one Muslim guest.

I want to smoke a lump of beef. The meat has to have enough integrity that after smoking, it can be cut into cubes that hold together and can be served on little sticks like meat popsicles, kind of like this pork belly thing:

What cut of beef would be good for this?

Use short ribs, cook them whole and then chill them before slicing, then warm them up again after.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Squashy Nipples posted:

Unless I've got a pool of hot fat from recently-cooked breakfast meat, I don't do eggs in the cast iron, because they pick up too iron and turn a nasty grey color.

Is that iron or just seasoning from the pan?

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Left half.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I had an idea to make a cake out of potatoes. Is this feasible and tasty?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BattleCattle posted:

I had an idea to make a cake out of potatoes. Is this feasible and tasty?

Make a cake? Like with potato flour? Yeah. With Mashed Potatoes? You can certainly make an overly large Mashed potato square and bake it in the oven to get a nice crispy outer shell, sure, I guess.

Or do you mean like hashbrown/pancakes? Of course those are great.

What you should do is make a layered hash brown cake sort of like a baumkuchen/crepe-cake and then frost it with mashed potatoes. If you're dead set on it.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 7, 2015

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Hey so I am going for stripers (and blues) tonight. Any recipe recommendations for striper? I've never actually cooked it before.

I've heard they're better when they're crying.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Drifter posted:

What you should do is make a layered hash brown cake sort of like a baumkuchen/crepe-cake and then frost it with mashed potatoes. If you're dead set on it.

That sounds amazing.

Potato Treecake

I'll be famous!

saints gambit
Apr 8, 2004
a donut with no holes is a danish
Does anyone have any experience with powdered mole verde? There are no directions on the package, so I'm wondering about proportions.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Drifter posted:

Shepherds cake :colbert:. You'll just need to make sure the mashed potatoes are thick enough to hold back the meat, peas, carrots, and gravy.

Actually, you could probably do shepherds pie cupcakes, for maximum hipster. And then talk about how since it isn't actually lamb, it's technically cottage pie.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Question about roasting peppers:

I got these great peppers fresh today, and I was wondering, is it better to roast them now, while there super fresh l, or should I let them have a day or two to kind of rest?

2nd! Should I roast them cold, out of the fridge, or let them hit room temp first?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
What are you planning to do with them after roasting? You don't need to worry about roasting them out of the fridge vs the counter top.

Generally I just do it a before i start cooking, so that they have time to steam in a bag and remove the skins and then cool down a bit before I de-seed and slice them up.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

What's the long answer
Take that (left) half of that cut and you've basically just got short ribs. Which is fine, but you could get that pretty much anywhere. The other bit is basically part of what in most of US and Canada would be called the brisket (although not cut that way). That would work as well and would be more flavourful but less well-behaved shapewise.

That being said, that cut doesn't include the bit of cow I was actually recommending. In the US you have a vertical (from the perspective of a standing cow) cut, at the back edge of the ribcage: forward (and including the ribs) you have the plate; rearward (with no ribs) you have the flank. The halal butchering I've seen cuts the same area at an oblique angle, to include what in the US is the flank and the thick flesh under but not directly attached to the ribcage. And that's what halal beef bacon is made from, and which I think would most closely approximate the pork belly lollipops you posted earlier.

But looking at that cut I can't really predict how the rest of the carcass was fabricated, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if there were a bunch of regional variations in halal butchering that I'm completely ignorant of. And since you've said that you weren't really trying to directly replicate the pork belly thing, I wouldn't worry about it because the short ribs would work just fine.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Hey guys, having a slight lack of funds recently so looking to eat on the cheap without dying. What would you guys recommend? I have access to a shitload of white rice saved from a purchase a good year ago and sealed in a large tupperware container. I just don't wanna have huge sodium issues from say, ramen or lack of nutrition. My spice rack is well stocked if that helps.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Captainsalami posted:

Hey guys, having a slight lack of funds recently so looking to eat on the cheap without dying. What would you guys recommend? I have access to a shitload of white rice saved from a purchase a good year ago and sealed in a large tupperware container. I just don't wanna have huge sodium issues from say, ramen or lack of nutrition. My spice rack is well stocked if that helps.
Help! I'm poor and want to make good food!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442278

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Hello, looking for some help. I'm making vegetable dumplings tomorrow for the first time without my expert girlfriends help. She often complains that store bought and some restaurant dumplings end up with overcooked and mooshy filling. How can I avoid this? I have the usual suspects of onion/carrots/cabbage/tofu/mushroom and I think I may have some vermicilli to throw in there. Tips for cooking/prepping? I want her to finally be proud of me.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Popete posted:

Hello, looking for some help. I'm making vegetable dumplings tomorrow for the first time without my expert girlfriends help. She often complains that store bought and some restaurant dumplings end up with overcooked and mooshy filling. How can I avoid this? I have the usual suspects of onion/carrots/cabbage/tofu/mushroom and I think I may have some vermicilli to throw in there. Tips for cooking/prepping? I want her to finally be proud of me.

Look at how long the recipe tells you to cook the veggie ingredients and then cook them for half the time.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Thanks for confirming what I said. It's a jungle out there.

No. You said the labels can say anything. They can't. It is a jungle out there, but the labels are pretty accurate if you read them. The confusion comes in when you look at the romance copy, and health claims. The nutrition info based on the NLEA and the ingredients better be dead on.

Roxy Rouge fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Roxy Rouge posted:

No. You said the labels can say anything. They can't. It is a jungle out there, but the labels are pretty accurate if you read them. The confusion comes in when you look at the romance copy, and health claims. The nutrition info based on the NLEA and the ingredients better be dead on.

What he said was so hyperbolic and sarcastic it's pretty silly to think he was being literal. Of COURSE you can't label frosted flakes as having ten calories a serving and that it's made from chicken tenders and pvc pipe.

What you CAN do is advertise it in such a confusing way as to make the claims meaningless, and create confusing poo poo like changing serving size to unrealistically small amounts to make nutritional claims seem true when they're really absolutely not, or hide behind different names of ingredients. And there's not much useful information given to create distinctions between substitutes, either.

There's no need to get pedantic over a sarcastic comment that was clearly sarcastic. Especially when it's correct in spirit, if not law.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Aug 9, 2015