Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

Does Cid even count since he's a three eyed magicless freak?

He 100% does not count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

mr. stefan posted:

The funny thing is that FFXIV is one of the few settings I can think of where humans aren't really the common denominator. Of the primary NPC cast, how many of them are hyur? Three, maybe four?

In HW the only important Hyur are Garleans, which are arguably another of the fantasy races, what with their Elezen bodies and third eyes.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Velthice I just bought a yukata today, I would appreciate it if you would stop selling highlander girls so well, or at least ease up until I've had a few days to enjoy it.

I took this just now. for you.

Stufoo
May 9, 2010

Everybody Loves Me
and that's just about as funky as I can be
If anyone was still wondering about this for some reason...

First forbidden, 17%
Second forbidden, 10%
Third forbidden, 7%
Fourth forbidden, 5%

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm really loving glad the next GP threshold for fishers is literally unattainable, so I don't have to try to meld for three stats.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Velthice posted:

I took this just now. for you.

:smith: It's a male yukata.

Kettlepip
Jun 23, 2009

Stu, I want the follow up screenshot where you accidentally, yet successfully, clicked meld.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Stufoo posted:

First forbidden, 17%
Second forbidden, 10%
Third forbidden, 7%
Fourth forbidden, 5%

My resolve to not bother with crafted mainhands rises.

Stufoo
May 9, 2010

Everybody Loves Me
and that's just about as funky as I can be

Kettlepip posted:

Stu, I want the follow up screenshot where you accidentally, yet successfully, clicked meld.

The earth V I tried in Slot 5 blew up so you don't get that screenshot sadly

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Stufoo posted:

First forbidden, 17%
Second forbidden, 10%
Third forbidden, 7%
Fourth forbidden, 5%

you can just datamine these things...

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
What's the point of wealth if you don't waste it

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

My resolve to not bother with crafted mainhands rises.

I'm not touching these overmelds with a 10 foot pole.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Does Cid even count since he's a three eyed magicless freak?

Where does this idea that Garleans can't use aether come from?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

kafziel posted:

Where does this idea that Garleans can't use aether come from?

It's more that Eorzeans can use magic because Eorzea is a super magical place.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The only reason I'd switch to a dragon lady would be to use their second voice which is very blatantly Rie Kugimiya, but then again I know I'm just going to fantasia into a viera when they come out so why waste it

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Only slightly relevant, but doesn't Cid act as your mandatory solo instance healer at once point and heal you with some specially-named potions? Or am I misremembering things?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Fister Roboto posted:

Eventually were going to have to go to the garlean emote in a new expansion which won't have any aetherytes, only airships

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Fister Roboto posted:

Then how are there all these Garlean soldiers using thaumaturge/conjurer skills?

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Begemot posted:

Then how are there all these Garlean soldiers using thaumaturge/conjurer skills?

Most garlean soldiers consist of the people that they've conquered. that's not to say that there aren't pure bred garleans in there, but the empire is pretty diverse now because of it.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Begemot posted:

They're not true born Garleans. The empire assimilates their conquests into their military to help control uprisings.

god its like you don't even read the lore

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Proof that the Garleans just want a united Eorzea.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

:smith: It's a male yukata.

The Calamity Salvager should let you exchange that for a female one.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Velthice posted:

Most garlean soldiers consist of the people that they've conquered. that's not to say that there aren't pure bred garleans in there, but the empire is pretty diverse now because of it.

This, and also some of it is techno magic.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Begemot posted:

Technological Bullshit, a la Lightning's floating trick in FF13

(e: damnit)

Drium
Jun 24, 2015
Pure-blood Garleans, the ones with the third eye on their forehead, cannot use magic/Aether, at all, period. That's why they, as a civilization, focused on Magitek so much. Magitek isn't any more powerful than the magic Eorzeans use, so it wouldn't make sense to waste so much time and money building all that stuff unless it did stuff for you that you can't normally.

Garleans you fight who use magic fall into the following categories:

Conscripts, AKA conquered people or people who willingly joined the Garlean Empire. These are typically Eorzeans but we can assume they're from the other continents too. These people, not being Garleans by blood, can use magic.

Magitek users, like Gaius, Cid, Nero, Livia, Regula, the heavily armored centurion mobs, etc. These people are using technology to emulate magic, or to forcefully manipulate Aether to do what they want.

* It's never clear what allows them to do this. Gunblades/gunweapons certainly seem made to enable it or at least do fancy poo poo, but their armor (in the case of the Legates/Tribunes) probably makes them able to match Eorzeans in what would otherwise be normal human vs superhuman combat too.

Tempered Garleans, specifically Nael and his men. They were Tempered by Bahamut and this granted them magical powers. This was in 1.0 only, though. In 2.0, you get to fight Nael with powers again, but s/he isn't a Garlean anymore, more of an Aether construct created by Bahamut.

/lore

Drium fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 7, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Begemot posted:

To add to the rest of it, most buffs that Garlean soldiers use is them popping a drug or something. Celerity (haste buff) is the only one I can remember the name of off the top of my head.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
When Cid helps you in those solo duties he uses Aqua Vitae instead of cure.

Drium
Jun 24, 2015
Right, I forgot about that. Yeah, they have really good combat drugs and potion equivalents too.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ouhei posted:

Ears make a lot of hair styles look odd, nightmares imagining them bald

A goon said the Golden Saucer haircut freaked him the gently caress out cause of the lack of human ears

Stufoo posted:

First forbidden, 17%
Second forbidden, 10%
Third forbidden, 7%
Fourth forbidden, 5%

I want to burn down the houses of SE CEOs.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

C'mon guys, nobody sane is gonna be overmelding Grade V materia for crafting or gathering, and it's obvious that you're not supposed to given those rates.

The success rates for the lower grades (The ones you actually DO overmeld) are a lot higher.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Hey goons if i switch over to Excalibur would any of you help me out with high quality gathering gear as I level botany? I can pay in hugs and uh. Shitposts

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Highlander ladies are cool but I wish they had access to more of the Midlander haircuts.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

fount of knowledge posted:

C'mon guys, nobody sane is gonna be overmelding Grade V materia for crafting or gathering, and it's obvious that you're not supposed to given those rates.

The success rates for the lower grades (The ones you actually DO overmeld) are a lot higher.

You can't come anywhere close to the caps for the 170 crafter chests without overmelding Grade Vs though. Any theoretical 3 star crafting is going to want that.

e: MH and OH too actually

Eej fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 7, 2015

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Whizbang posted:

Highlander ladies are cool but I wish they had access to more of the Midlander haircuts.

Midlander haircuts are what I missed most when I was Au Ra. They have so many good ones, and I hate most of the Au Ra ones. :(

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I think the au ra face with the drowsy looking eyes and horns pointing backwards is the most common, and the face with the bulky horns pointing down is the one I hardly ever see.
This one is the best though and your taste is poo poo if you disagree :colbert:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SperginMcBadposter posted:

I think the au ra face with the drowsy looking eyes and horns pointing backwards is the most common, and the face with the bulky horns pointing down is the one I hardly ever see.

I like the horns that look like wings.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

All female Au Ra just look like they're perpetually ten seconds after being whacked on the head with a frying pan, or possibly narcoleptic.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Help it has a face... and it's looking at me.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Yeah, that's my favorite Au'ra face, this is what I would have used if I fantasia'd:

Though looking at that, is that weird fabric-y cross stitching pattern normal or is there something wrong with my graphics card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

pandaK posted:

Yeah, that's my favorite Au'ra face, this is what I would have used if I fantasia'd:

Though looking at that, is that weird fabric-y cross stitching pattern normal or is there something wrong with my graphics card?

That looks like your textures are turned way down low or theres a bug making it apply lowres textures

• Locked thread