Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Angry Grimace posted:

The read-between-the-lines announcement is that you can't buy Commander products from the store on MTGO anymore, the cards only get circulated through cube rewards.

Nice call. http://wizardsmtgo.tumblr.com/post/126027089709/will-legendary-cube-be-the-only-way-to-get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Until MODO has some actually sane way to buy singles, there's no way this will be good.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Until MODO has some actually sane way to buy singles, there's no way this will be good.

if any of those cards become Vintage/Legacy staples this will lead to the most hilariously lopsided MODO/RL price differential

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

I like the idea because nobody buys online precons for any reason other than that one Legacy playable card in the deck. You can justify it with paper products because lots of people actually do buy Commander decks to play them unaltered.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/3g1piq/you_play_casual_mtg_draft_at_local_store_opponent/

Which doesn't contain his creepy response on local chat: "I think I accomplished my mission tho. I was fully aware of how this kid would feel like inside and this was intended action to mentally punch back. I simply just had my enchantment casted outside."

So, uh, there's that.

that guy is extremely cool

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
What would you guys replace the Satyrs from Joel Larsson's RDW from the pro tour with? Or is that really just the best card for that slot? Really dislike that thing. He's got 3 Firedrinker Satyrs mainboard and 3 Firedancers sideboard. Heelcutters? Three seems a bit much. Rabblemaster? Trading a 1 mana for a 3 mana seems wrong.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

TheKingofSprings posted:

if any of those cards become Vintage/Legacy staples this will lead to the most hilariously lopsided MODO/RL price differential

I'm not sure what effect this will have on the price of cards. The digital versions of True-Name Nemesis and Containment Priest are worth more than their paper counterparts. On the other hand, if you look at cards that were available through draft formats, they cost half as much online.

Wizards said Legendary Cube Prize Packs will contain six cards from a selection of 150 Legendary Cube cards. The distribution of the cards will be different from that of a regular booster pack, so it's hard to predict what the price of a chase card could be.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dohaeris posted:

What would you guys replace the Satyrs from Joel Larsson's RDW from the pro tour with? Or is that really just the best card for that slot? Really dislike that thing. He's got 3 Firedrinker Satyrs mainboard and 3 Firedancers sideboard. Heelcutters? Three seems a bit much. Rabblemaster? Trading a 1 mana for a 3 mana seems wrong.

I think the satyr is the only one drop red creature with a fixed 2 attack, that's a pretty good deal

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I just fired up MTGO and opened the store tab:

So they're still releasing Intro Decks while not releasing Commander 2015? What the gently caress is wrong with the MTGO team?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Hellsau posted:

So they're still releasing Intro Decks while not releasing Commander 2015? What the gently caress is wrong with the MTGO team?

Intro decks are a ripoff that only new players will buy, earning WotC money. Removing those from the store will not increase their sales of anything else while costing them that small segment of the market.

Commander decks set a price ceiling on certain cards and are primarily bought by players who know how to buy/sell cards. Removing those from the store forces people to spend more money on playing events or buying singles, increasing the number of players buying tickets and playing in their events.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Dohaeris posted:

I'm putting in Smash to Smithereens in the board as at least a 3-of for Game Day. I think Firedancer was the card I was going to cut.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Hellsau posted:

Well you see if one of the cards in Commander 2015 becomes an eternal staple people will have to spend lots of money to get them. This is good, because we want people to spend lots of money. Intro Decks are massively priced on MTGO because they don't contain mythics and even really good rares don't stay over 5 tickets so people might accidentally spend way too much money to buy the Intro Deck, this is also good.

If you genuinely understand that the motivation behind the Commander 2015 not being sold in the store thing was literally People Have to Spend More Money this actually makes perfect sense. Any supplemental product that will be a ripoff for the player will continue being listed in the store in the future

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

mandatory lesbian posted:

I think the satyr is the only one drop red creature with a fixed 2 attack, that's a pretty good deal

It's also the only red 1-drop that makes blocking with a caryatid seem like a bad idea.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

It's also the only red 1-drop that makes blocking with a caryatid seem like a bad idea.

I can't find it but I think even Joel himself said Firedrinkers were a bad idea because he wasn't expecting so many other players in Mono-R. Like, if Mono-R becomes really popular now and all the builds are running 4 Searing Blood, then it's probably correct to replace them.

Not sure with what, though. I'm thinking maybe 1 Titan's Strength, 2 Eidolon, but who knows.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dohaeris posted:

Josh Silvestri has some thoughts on the particulars of the PT red decks (and others)

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/red-deck-wins-the-pro-tour/

He considers Satyrs suboptimal atm given the current power and prevalence of Searing Blood.

His semi-weekly roundups are pretty good, imo

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So what replaces the firedrinkers then, goblin glory chaser? Frenzied Goblin? Foundry Street Denizen?

None of them seem as good though.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

qbert posted:

I can't find it but I think even Joel himself said Firedrinkers were a bad idea because he wasn't expecting so many other players in Mono-R. Like, if Mono-R becomes really popular now and all the builds are running 4 Searing Blood, then it's probably correct to replace them.

Not sure with what, though. I'm thinking maybe 1 Titan's Strength, 2 Eidolon, but who knows.

Yeah searing blood kinda disappeared for a while but it's very popular again. Caryatid decks don't seem quite as abundant anymore either. I guess glory chaser is a better option right now?

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

Count Bleck posted:

So what replaces the firedrinkers then, goblin glory chaser? Frenzied Goblin? Foundry Street Denizen?

Thinking maybe a Titan's Strength and heelcutters? People seem to be maindecking Eidolons a lot. Maybe do 2 mainboard eidolons and a heelcutter, then have the other 2 in the side? Frees up some sideboard slots.

Current sideboard:
1x Chandra, Pyromaster
1x Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh
4x Eidolon of the Great Revel
4x Roast
1x Outpost Siege
1x Hall of Triumph (definitely iffy, given no tokens)
2x Arc Lightning
1x Molten Vortex

Maybe some scouring sands or as mentioned by someone else, Smash to Smithereens?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

frienzed goblin has the pay extra to gain haste right? that seems alright i guess?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Just wait for them to reprint PLATED GEOPEDE!!!

I actually don't think they will because I am guessing they aren't just going to do Landfall again, and that card was a serious fucker in limited but it's one of my favorite red dorky aggro dudes of all-time

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

It just wasn't as swag as Stromkirk Noble.

I still like Akki Avalanchers but they were so bad.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Best standard aggro one-drop was Champion of the Parish. At least during ISD/RTR when you could go T1 Champion into T2 Burning-Tree Emissary + Lightning Mauler. God that deck was fun.

frienzed goblin has the pay extra to gain haste right? that seems alright i guess?

Frenzied Goblin is the 1/1 for R that can make something not block for R when it attacks.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

Just wait for them to reprint PLATED GEOPEDE!!!

I actually don't think they will because I am guessing they aren't just going to do Landfall again, and that card was a serious fucker in limited but it's one of my favorite red dorky aggro dudes of all-time

Utensil Geopede

1R

1/1

First Strike

Landfall - ~ gains +2/+0.

There, 100% fixed.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Entropic posted:

Best standard aggro one-drop was Champion of the Parish. At least during ISD/RTR when you could go T1 Champion into T2 Burning-Tree Emissary + Lightning Mauler. God that deck was fun.

Frenzied Goblin is the 1/1 for R that can make something not block for R when it attacks.

Oh it's mini-Heelcutter, yeah that seems okay, unfortunate it can't attack past Caryatid but if that's on the decline it might be alright

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Yeah searing blood kinda disappeared for a while but it's very popular again. Caryatid decks don't seem quite as abundant anymore either. I guess glory chaser is a better option right now?

Not sure, but a lot of pros testing out the deck have said they hate Glory Chaser. It's just awful on the draw and bad anywhere other than T1 on the play.

I kind of like Eidolon just because I can't think of a single matchup that Mono-R isn't bringing that card in post-board. Even in the mirror match at the Pro Tour, both players brought in all their Eidolons. Seems like if you bring a card in on every matchup, that might just mean it's meant for the main.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Oh it's mini-Heelcutter, yeah that seems okay, unfortunate it can't attack past Caryatid but if that's on the decline it might be alright

Caryatid is gone come zendikar.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Gensuki posted:

Caryatid is gone come zendikar.

we're talking about the right now hombre

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

qbert posted:

Not sure, but a lot of pros testing out the deck have said they hate Glory Chaser. It's just awful on the draw and bad anywhere other than T1 on the play.

I kind of like Eidolon just because I can't think of a single matchup that Mono-R isn't bringing that card in post-board. Even in the mirror match at the Pro Tour, both players brought in all their Eidolons. Seems like if you bring a card in on every matchup, that might just mean it's meant for the main.

I haven't played a red deck in standard since last rotation but Eidolon seems really good right now. There's a strong burn package out right now and Eidolon affects board states and game math in a very serious way. One of my modern decks is burn and people probably hate seeing Eidolon more than anything else. Seems very good in standard at the moment.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

What about Zurgo Tinypants? R for his CC, 1R for dash if that strikes your fancy, 2/2 body.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Night Danger Moose posted:

What about Zurgo Tinypants? R for his CC, 1R for dash if that strikes your fancy, 2/2 body.

He's already a 3-of in these decks.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

we're talking about the right now hombre

Live in the now!

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

qbert posted:

He's already a 3-of in these decks.

:v: Reading is for dummies.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Entropic posted:

At an FNM I once had a game against a 10-year-old kid whose T1 play was Champion of the Parish, and whose T2 play was Champion of the Parish, Champion of the Parish. T3? You guessed it, Gather the Townsfolk.

Yeah, I lost that game real nice.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sarcastro posted:

At an FNM I once had a game against a 10-year-old kid whose T1 play was Champion of the Parish, and whose T2 play was Champion of the Parish, Champion of the Parish. T3? You guessed it, Gather the Townsfolk.

Did it at least feel good?

Edit: Today I traded in my Standard Rotatoes for a Gaea's Cradle. It feels good to own a piece of Magic history, is this normal?

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 7, 2015

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Sarcastro posted:

Shadowborn Apostle
Shadowborn Apostle, Shadowborn Apostle
Shadowborn Apostle, Shadowborn Apostle, Shadownborn Apostle

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Count Bleck posted:

I did not begrudge the wee lad his shining moment.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
Between Inquisition of Kozilek, Might of Old Krosa, and Inkmoth Nexus the value of my infect deck has almost doubled. Is this a seasonal thing or should I expect these prices to stay the same?

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

Count Bleck posted:

Edit: Today I traded in my Standard Rotatoes for a Gaea's Cradle. It feels good to own a piece of Magic history, is this normal?

sure. i'd love to own one, or any of the now-valuable cards from that era. i started playing with tempest (well, portal, but) in 2nd grade, played heavily for 2 years, then quit until RTR. i had a gaea's cradle, 4 sliver queens (one of which was from the most legendary pack pull of all time), several wastelands, and tons of other tempest thru urza's destiny goodies, which i either traded away for nothing or in the case of the sliver queens straight up lost. the remaining valuable cards in my collection are pretty heavily damaged from heavy play without sleeves or mats. you should be stoked.

now i wanna play legacy slivers. is that a thing?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Paper Triangle posted:

It's called Meathooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Paper Triangle posted:

Used to be, long ago. Had a little shudder when Galerider Sliver came out. Silence since.

E: Here it is, slivers' last breath.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 7, 2015

• Locked thread