Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The federation stuff is the most interesting part for me. It could be a good way to keep everyone on relatively even footing so the quickest expanders in the colonization phase can't just bulldoze everyone else. Sure your custom race of hyperintelligent killer ducks managed to take as many planets as your four closest neighbors combined, but now they've got a unified fleet built with the best of each race's technology and they're eying you warily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Though I suppose the prudent thing to do would be to carefully observe which empires are going the heavy research route and destroying them, so they don't unleash a demonic robot uprising, until you've grown powerful enough to protect the galaxy by yourself.

A game where you basically play as the Mass Effect Reapers sounds really awesome though.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
I really hope that you can play with more than 7 factions. One of the reasons why I like Paradox games is because there are usually hundreds of them. I am optimistic but also a little disappointed. I was really hoping for an asymmetrical start with fleshed out factions and whatnot.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Stellaris sounds wicked. Was there any news on a HoI4 release date, or even an approximation?

"Not this year"

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Nblue posted:

Looks like a pretty big galaxy.

That actually looks like an exceedingly small galaxy, unless the only stars that show up on the map are the ones with habitable planets or something. Not that it needs to be bigger for game purposes, but :spergin:

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

ArchangeI posted:

"Not this year"

Ah, thanks. As much as I'd like to play it I can understand them taking their time.

Besides, the new space game sounds brilliant, so that'll do for now!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Ah, thanks. As much as I'd like to play it I can understand them taking their time.

Besides, the new space game sounds brilliant, so that'll do for now!

Wait, is Stellaris coming out this year?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

zedprime posted:

The most impressive sounding bullet points in the article about the really flowery stuff are almost assuredly english-as-a-second-language written pop-up events that subtlety change the game state from where it was before hitting OK.

After hundreds of hours of CK2, and EU4, I am OK with that, assuming I end up liking the 4X trappings which sound mostly like a marriage of Paradox games and boilerplate 4X space stuff.

Well I mean CK2 has event chains and planned invasions already. There's the bit in Sons of Abraham where you play as the Anti-Christ, for instance, and the stuff where like random third cousins can raise armies and come at you. EU4 has Dynamic Historical Events like the Burgundian Inheritance or the Iberian Wedding. Put in a dozen of those but with less specific triggers and limit it to firing 1-3 of them per game.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Wait, is Stellaris coming out this year?

No idea! I just meant that it sounds like it's going to be good and that'll do me for now.

e: I believe Q1/February 2016 was mentioned for Stellaris earlier.

Pork Pie Hat fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 6, 2015

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I couldn't find an archive of the stream on Twitch. Any idea when it goes up?

e: Nevermind

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I seem to remember having this conversation about what a 4X is earlier today and I hope with this substantial proof we can put it all behind ourselves.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah you'd think, but that article very clearly seems to suggest that it's down to the level of something like say, Endless Legend, where you manage Civilians and building placements and things like that.

But again, scope is pretty important. Maybe you control 100 planets, but maybe there's also an enforced CK2-like tiering system of control. Maybe you only manage 5 planets at a time directly and have to assign the rest to be controlled automatically. Who knows.
Seems like a pretty major thing to design, program, balance, and make art for, only to automate it for most tiles. As for the scope business, the issue that springs to mind is that the number of subdivisions of solar systems/planets kinda have to justify their inclusion in the first place. Like, 2 planets per solar system or 2 tiles per planet would be pointless, but on the other hand, having for example an average of 5 subdivisions for either would mean each system represents 25 tiles to interact with. Can't exactly have that many solar systems in your empire before that starts being burdensome, unless the system is just badly explained in that article.

PittTheElder posted:

That actually looks like an exceedingly small galaxy, unless the only stars that show up on the map are the ones with habitable planets or something. Not that it needs to be bigger for game purposes, but :spergin:
I look forward to the mods which add in the historical 200-400 billion stars of the Milky Way.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

A game where you basically play as the Mass Effect Reapers sounds really awesome though.
It's just common sense really, can't have these civilizations playing with things they do not understand.

e: No one wants the Large Blackhole Collider to create super massive hardons which gently caress the galaxy.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 6, 2015

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Looks like "A space 4x but made by Paradox!" which is neat I guess. I was hoping for a hand crafted galaxy to do a grand strategy space game in, there are a shitton of space 4x games, a dozen or so came out in just the past couple years. I'm sure it'll be fun but I was hoping for something different.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Nblue posted:

Looks like a pretty big galaxy.

I'm glad Paradox is taking the jump into overtly modeling genocide in Stellaris instead of cute things like "cultural conversion," missionaries and spending some mp to get rid of the pesky natives.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

What I most like about the RPS article are the quotes which indicate Paradox are thinking hard about the 'end game in 4x usually sucks' which is promising because lots of developers fail to realise that's even a problem.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Alchenar posted:

What I most like about the RPS article are the quotes which indicate Paradox are thinking hard about the 'end game in 4x usually sucks' which is promising because lots of developers fail to realise that's even a problem.
I know they said there are win conditions and the content cited as "end game" level stuff sounds cool, but the historical Paradox solution to this is "make a game everybody quits at the 80% mark anyway."

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Seems like a pretty major thing to design, program, balance, and make art for, only to automate it for most tiles. As for the scope business, the issue that springs to mind is that the number of subdivisions of solar systems/planets kinda have to justify their inclusion in the first place. Like, 2 planets per solar system or 2 tiles per planet would be pointless, but on the other hand, having for example an average of 5 subdivisions for either would mean each system represents 25 tiles to interact with. Can't exactly have that many solar systems in your empire before that starts being burdensome, unless the system is just badly explained in that article.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if the scope worked out that your race has a very small number of habitable planets (like, one planet in 10 systems you might be able to colonize without advanced tech), but you can still use and claim other planets for purposes of resources/diplomacy/etc. So even if a medium sized empire might have 50-100 systems, you'd only have 5-10 planets you have to manage the details of. But then that makes you wonder what happens when you get to the end game and start being able to do things like terraforming or ringworlds or whatever.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

Yeah, it's safe to say I'm loving sold.

Alternatively, uplifting various species just to fight in your genocidal wars against the other-dimensional space horrors.

Giggle Goose posted:

I really hope that you can play with more than 7 factions. One of the reasons why I like Paradox games is because there are usually hundreds of them. I am optimistic but also a little disappointed. I was really hoping for an asymmetrical start with fleshed out factions and whatnot.

I don't think theres just 7 factions, but rather 7 races you can pick from yourself? (Or custom design one, according to the website)

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Giggle Goose posted:

They did say the MP with dozens of players would be possible, so I assume the same is for SP.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
There would have to be a lot more than 7 for there to be enough political room to form more than one federation. If the game can handle 1000 systems it wouldn't surprise me if it can handle dozens of factions.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think we're getting some slightly mixed info. My guess is that there's 7 base race types, like humanoid or gas-bags or mollusk people, and then the game creates tons of sub-types. The sub-types might be a totally different unrelated race, or just a different political faction. Hopefully we'll see poo poo like 20 "human" races in a game where a bunch just have different governments/ideology but some are like cyborgs or genetically engineered or what ever, but they still all fall under the humanoid sub-type.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I think we're getting some slightly mixed info. My guess is that there's 7 base race types, like humanoid or gas-bags or mollusk people, and then the game creates tons of sub-types. The sub-types might be a totally different unrelated race, or just a different political faction. Hopefully we'll see poo poo like 20 "human" races in a game where a bunch just have different governments/ideology but some are like cyborgs or genetically engineered or what ever, but they still all fall under the humanoid sub-type.

Yeah I think this is likely. We'll probably see stuff like a species inhabiting gas giants and them just settling randomly around your space which may cause friction because they take offense to you mining "their" gas for fuel.

A base type of alien to determine it's overall statistics, and then a bunch of modifiers like behavior and cultural roots you may or may not have to research in order to interact with them properly. I'm personally hoping for some really loving "alien" aliens that are just unknowable and may be super chill one game but ruthless assholes in the next.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

PittTheElder posted:

Max size is 1000 star systems. Maybe it will be modifiable, or maybe it could be like that Civ 2 expansion where there was a second map you could build on.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah I think this is likely. We'll probably see stuff like a species inhabiting gas giants and them just settling randomly around your space which may cause friction because they take offense to you mining "their" gas for fuel.

A base type of alien to determine it's overall statistics, and then a bunch of modifiers like behavior and cultural roots you may or may not have to research in order to interact with them properly. I'm personally hoping for some really loving "alien" aliens that are just unknowable and may be super chill one game but ruthless assholes in the next.

That's a lot of leaping to conclusions when the most solid description of it so far is 'around mid-game it changes to play a lot like EU4'

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Tsargon IV's primary species is UR-QUAN. UR-QUAN is in the HYPER-CATERPILLAR species group.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Enjoy posted:

Tsargon IV's primary species is UR-QUAN. UR-QUAN is in the HYPER-CATERPILLAR species group.

Casus Beli: Doctrine of Now and forever

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm actually curious about how they're going to handle warfare - whether they'll be sticking with the Paradox CB system or go with the old style 4X "You can declare war at any time for any reason" warfare. I think it would actually be cool to see a 4X with CB-based warfare so that wars spring up around contentious territory (like the crisis spots in Vicky 2), or are at least based on something with more substance than "I noticed your army was small so I'm declaring war on you and taking all your stuff". It would be especially cool if the federations could assert dominion over territories/empires that aren't actually an official member of any of them, and then having wars spring up between federations if more than one is claiming dominion over the same territory.

Basically I just want to see some logic behind when civilizations go to war with each other that makes sense in the context of actual diplomatic relations rather than just game-y "I'm going for domination victory" stuff.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SkySteak posted:

Casus Beli: Doctrine of Now and forever

Horde CBs are total bullshit :argh:

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I'm actually curious about how they're going to handle warfare - whether they'll be sticking with the Paradox CB system or go with the old style 4X "You can declare war at any time for any reason" warfare. I think it would actually be cool to see a 4X with CB-based warfare so that wars spring up around contentious territory (like the crisis spots in Vicky 2), or are at least based on something with more substance than "I noticed your army was small so I'm declaring war on you and taking all your stuff". It would be especially cool if the federations could assert dominion over territories/empires that aren't actually an official member of any of them, and then having wars spring up between federations if more than one is claiming dominion over the same territory.

Basically I just want to see some logic behind when civilizations go to war with each other that makes sense in the context of actual diplomatic relations rather than just game-y "I'm going for domination victory" stuff.

This is a great example of why this interests me a lot more outside of just another 4X. If they integrate the Grand Strategy stuff they have already to flesh it out, it may not revolutionized the genre, but make something a lot more interesting to play.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
One thing that caught my eye is that new factions will pop up as the game progresses, which could be very interesting. Also I hope to God they don't make us do tedious planetary management bullshir outside of like our first three colonies.

Honestly though, a space game with diplomacy and POPs makes me so very happy.

wait, remember the hint "7 and 3 are important numbers?" 7 races but 3 of what? Research paths?

Edit: I hope paradox makes cool events "The great khan of the hyper advanced aztech extra-galactic empire has arrived on the galactic rim!"

unwantedplatypus fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 7, 2015

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Holy loving poo poo this game sounds amazing.

I groaned when I heard about Paradox going space since every 4x game I have tried has sucked serious nuts (apart from Sins and SR).

The amount of possibilities sounds insane, I really hope it lives up to the hype and I have faith it will since this is Paradox at the wheel.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

unwantedplatypus posted:

One thing that caught my eye is that new factions will pop up as the game progresses, which could be very interesting. Also I hope to God they don't make us do tedious planetary management bullshir outside of like our first three colonies.

Honestly though, a space game with diplomacy and POPs makes me so very happy.

wait, remember the hint "7 and 3 are important numbers?" 7 races but 3 of what? Research paths?

Edit: I hope paradox makes cool events "The great khan of the hyper advanced aztech extra-galactic empire has arrived on the galactic rim!"

Seven base species, three FTL choices.

The article made it sound like the game was cribbing a lot from SotS, really...

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Enjoy posted:

Yaos posted:

Max size is 1000 star systems. Maybe it will be modifiable, or maybe it could be like that Civ 2 expansion where there was a second map you could build on.

Quantity and Humanism are still the best ideas even in space.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

unwantedplatypus posted:

Yep.

quote:

Guide your scientists along 3 main technological groups and discover different advancements in each game. Some tech can improve life for your entire species... or completely shatter your concepts of civilization.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I wonder if that means they're doing something like Civ: Beyond Earth's Supremecy/Purity/Harmony split with tech.

Hopefully much better.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
I hope there's Space Communism.

Workers of the Universe, Unite!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I have to say, I've drunk the Kool-Aid and am totally on board for this space game. My hope is that I'll be able to either play without aliens or be able to start with only my race on the board and then be able to mod in that races frequently splinter off or that distant colonies are always in danger of rebelling. Call me boring but I've always thought of playing as humans in games is more compelling, and being able to play a space game with a bunch of (distantly) related human civilizations would be just great!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Takanago posted:

I hope there's Space Communism.

Workers of the Universe, Unite!

"When our invasion begins, workers from all other nation's will throw of the shackles of the upper class!"

"Comrade their workers are literally non sapient space ants controlled by pheromones"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Fintilgin posted:

I wonder if that means they're doing something like Civ: Beyond Earth's Supremecy/Purity/Harmony split with tech.

Hopefully much better.
Techs are already confirmed to be physics, social and engineering, with a science officer responsible for each. Not sure if that means they all need to ride in the same science vessel or if you can have 3 different Enterprises romping about with a different focus.

Tech availability is apparently random per research event but is weighted on the more murkily described empire ethics and science officer traits and skills so it sounds like you can guide it to a path to a point.

e. I can't wait till the tech dev diary because its probably the most novel system in a game otherwise stitching together the basics of Paradox games and space 4Xs.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Agean90 posted:

"When our invasion begins, workers from all other nation's will throw of the shackles of the upper class!"

"Comrade their workers are literally non sapient space ants controlled by pheromones"
Legit laughed out loud at this.

• Locked thread