Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

1846 is going into P500 via GMT games, so if you've ever wanted to get into the 18XX games and not wait three years for a hand made copy from some guy, this may be a pretty good thing. If i recall the old 18XX thread, this was pretty highly recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

1846 is both one of the good ones AND an excellent beginner 18XX. It was my very first 18XX and I highly recommend it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I like the 'reverse' deckbuilding (kinda) for events in Robinson Crusoe, which is how decisions you've made come back to bite you in the rear end. Don't or can't use salve/bandage on your wounded hand? Shuffle this card into the deck. Might become infected (or it might never come up.) Decided to eat those berries? Maybe you'll get sick.

I also like how some of the events are on a first-in-first-out buffer that gives you a chance to do something about them before they expire/trigger/whatever. Like the things that washed up with you: you have to spend an action to gather them up, or in a couple days they wash away into the sea and you've lost your chance.

I think that 'reverse' deckbuilding for environmental stuff is an idea that has some steam in it.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

silvergoose posted:

Naw, NT and games with rules like it are a different beast. In Dominion, if you buy whatever looks good and someone executes a real strategy and kicks your rear end, you at least felt like you did something, right? You bought stuff, you got some points, you lost, but you could have a good time doing so.

I'm pretty sure that was a dig at deckbuilder designers, not players. If it wasn't it should have been.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I know it's been said before, but jesus christ, Fozzy.

at least im in the top ten. (and i havent contributed anything of worth since the last thread! suck on that, funhavers!)

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Lord Frisk posted:

1846 is going into P500 via GMT games, so if you've ever wanted to get into the 18XX games and not wait three years for a hand made copy from some guy, this may be a pretty good thing. If i recall the old 18XX thread, this was pretty highly recommended.

I'm so down for this...

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Lord Frisk posted:

I'm not really interested in '46 but I've wanted GMT to get into 18xx publishing for a while so maybe I'll throw in for it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Lord Frisk posted:

at least im in the top ten. (and i havent contributed anything of worth since the last thread! suck on that, funhavers!)

Top 20 is good enough for me; I don't post that much.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lord Frisk posted:

I will preserve my rank with blade and honor.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hey, 13th, not too shabby! In BGG terms, that's Le Havre quality!

(that's actually a really funny thing to link up)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lord Frisk posted:

Rubitex is beating Broken Loose!

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

silvergoose posted:

I'm Stone Age apparently.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'm like 2 Rutibexen!!

Edit: Also, I guess that makes me Twilight Struggle :smug:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

BGG ranking is, more or less, a popularity contest. Postcount is, more or less, an unpopularity contest.

I'm Commands & Colors: Ancients, which is about right.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I'm Imperial which is one of the few games in the BGG top 100 I actually like.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Everything about this image is making me turgid.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

oh goddamit I'm Dead of Winter

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

What the hell is this?! https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1/die-macher
I guess this is a sign to :justpost: so I can at least be the equivalent of something I've heard of.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm apparently Tzolk'in, which I've never played, but heard good things about.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Sweet, I'm Eclipse. So totally ok with that. Grandpapants, don't you dare post enough to take me off my game (pun!)

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Mister Sinewave posted:

I like the 'reverse' deckbuilding (kinda) for events in Robinson Crusoe, which is how decisions you've made come back to bite you in the rear end. Don't or can't use salve/bandage on your wounded hand? Shuffle this card into the deck. Might become infected (or it might never come up.) Decided to eat those berries? Maybe you'll get sick.

I also like how some of the events are on a first-in-first-out buffer that gives you a chance to do something about them before they expire/trigger/whatever. Like the things that washed up with you: you have to spend an action to gather them up, or in a couple days they wash away into the sea and you've lost your chance.

I'm with you on both of those, actually. I really like the idea behind the game and its systems, it's just not a game that really engages all of its players at once and the way it goes try to engage you is actively detrimental to having players feel unique. With no turns to take, and the players encouraged to work out who goes where with no time limit or order to it, there's really no reason to have 4 people at the table when you could just treat it as a big puzzle.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Die Macher is a *fabulous* game about german politics, kinda long, needs 4-5 players ideally 5, very hard and full of backstabbing.

Tzolkin is indeed good, worker placement with a turn-the-wheels gimmick that mostly works.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Ugh, I'm all the way down to Russian Railroads. Gotta step up my shitposting game.

Quick, someone give me a game to be offended by.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

also I am 68th which makes me Go. Suck it, losers, I'm venerable. :smug:

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Gutter Owl posted:

Ugh, I'm all the way down to Russian Railroads. Gotta step up my shitposting game.

Agricola is a terrible game and only sad and unhappy people enjoy it.

Also Feld has yet to make a game worth playing more than zero times.

There I said it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Stelas posted:

also I am 68th which makes me Go. Suck it, losers, I'm venerable. :smug:

gently caress

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Gutter Owl posted:

I thought we could just all point and laugh at this cruel fate:

StashAugustine posted:

oh goddamit I'm Dead of Winter

:cawg:

Wait, how is DoW that high up?!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Malloreon posted:

Agricola is a terrible game and only sad and unhappy people enjoy it.

Also Feld has yet to make a game worth playing more than zero times.

There I said it.

You are bad and have bad opinions.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
This post should set me into #54 territory as Star Realms, which feels appropriate as a long time proponent and now employed representative of "Bad Deck-building Games™".

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Gutter Owl posted:

Anything by David Sirlin :getin:

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

But seriously why does Feld make such aggressively boring games.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

only need to move up two more spots on the shitpost tier to be Imperial Assault instead

playing squad leader rn, will update

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

silvergoose posted:

According to the BGG Thematic Ranking, I am the Dead of Winter of the something awful board gaming thread.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Andarel posted:

But seriously why does Feld make such aggressively boring games.

I really like CoB and Trajan. :shrug:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Oh Jesus, what have I done...

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Rutibex posted:

According to the BGG Thematic Ranking, I am the Dead of Winter of the something awful board gaming thread.

That's far far too appropriate.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Lord Frisk posted:

It's actually my fault, and I take full responsibility and actually think it's hilarious so gently caress yeah.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Lord Frisk posted:

God's work?

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

I'm Concordia. I don't really enjoy Concordia :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Archenteron posted:

Anything by David Sirlin :getin:

:crossarms:

Come on man, you don't need to put the ball on the tee for me. Give me something a little challenging, jeez.