Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

spog posted:

Classic Battered Wives Syndrome and I'm glad that you're making the break

Holy gently caress me running I've just discovered the downside to my current job. My boss is acting like he hired me in to his family instead of hiring me in to the business. He's being a dick over me leaving, hoarding over me how he 'saved' me from a sales job when I didn't have any experience just because he saw my potential. That I'm 'loving disrespectful' for pursuing job offers without asking him what hoops I could jump through for a raise. That I'm 'making GBS threads all over' him for telling him I had an offer before I accepted it, trying to leverage my position to take advantage of him.

Never mind the hard work I've put in to the last two years to put my company in a way better position than before I started.

Official letter of resignation goes in tomorrow, I expect my boss to emotionally dismiss my two weeks and kick me out on the spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

President Ark posted:

Wait, so you're running the interview? What the hell does your supervisor actually do other than get in the way of you doing your job? :psyduck:

Honestly, I'm the only one with any webmaster experience around here. He could gauge them better on their personality, I guess, but mention HTML5 or CSS to him and he's loving dumbfounded.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Holy gently caress me running I've just discovered the downside to my current job. My boss is acting like he hired me in to his family instead of hiring me in to the business. He's being a dick over me leaving, hoarding over me how he 'saved' me from a sales job when I didn't have any experience just because he saw my potential. That I'm 'loving disrespectful' for pursuing job offers without asking him what hoops I could jump through for a raise. That I'm 'making GBS threads all over' him for telling him I had an offer before I accepted it, trying to leverage my position to take advantage of him.

Never mind the hard work I've put in to the last two years to put my company in a way better position than before I started.

Official letter of resignation goes in tomorrow, I expect my boss to emotionally dismiss my two weeks and kick me out on the spot.

Oh boy. Get out and don't look back.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy

Judge Schnoopy posted:

He's being a dick over me leaving, hoarding over me how he 'saved' me from a sales job when I didn't have any experience just because he saw my potential. That I'm 'loving disrespectful' for pursuing job offers without asking him what hoops I could jump through for a raise. That I'm 'making GBS threads all over' him for telling him I had an offer before I accepted it, trying to leverage my position to take advantage of him.

Hahaha this sounds very similar to my experience leaving my last job. Sure, they gave me the opportunity with no experience, which I'm grateful for, but that doesn't mean I'm your indentured slave for my entire career. 4.5 years of my life was plenty, thank you.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

bitterandtwisted posted:

More crypto-woes.
Boss has been having hard words with mail filter company around their seeming inability to stop cryptowall attachments and being told "oh, but we protected you from this many threats this month alone..." crap and we've basically lost all confidence in them, so I've been going through every exchange server and manually blocking javascript attachments with transport rules (and all zip files not tagged with a special code for clients with exchange 2010).
This morning someone reported their files were encrypted.

It was a variation called teslacrypt, which was installed through a flash exploit on a website. Fortunately only one machine was hit, but I'm losing the will to live here.

Push out Google Chrome with Adblock and nuke Flash entirely. I did this with a client that got Crypto twice in the course of a month, both from web advertisement exploits. Thankfully they had backups so it was a couple hours of file restoration, unlike the other client one of my coworkers had that's a pharmacy, with no backups, that got Crypto on a server and a least 7 other PCs and lost a shitload of patient/customer information because of it. Best part? He'd been harping on this client to have backups done, they refused because "it cost too much money"

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Not that I am defending his behavior, Good lord, I am NOT, but that's exactly it. The guy is NOT looking at it like a business. He is super emotionally involved in the whole thing You were part of The Team
Plus, you have that carry over mentality from earlier years where you started in at the bottom, and stayed at one company, working your way up. Not really how it works anymore, but that may be how he sees it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

notwithoutmyanus posted:

So I'm new at my :yotj: and it's work in a NOC. I understand I am someone who will ask questions to hold people accountable and apparently nobody does here, but what is this? Every time I send an email out I have my mentor review emails he says "it sounds cocky". In fact, in the last email I drafted to send to the people we support I said "Thank you for your previous action taken freeing up (amount) of storage on (server)". And he said that specifying the storage amount is cocky.

Has anyone heard of such a thing? Am I breaking some helpdesk taboo or is there some helpdesk 101 class I'm missing here? I'm trying to be polite and just keep getting poo poo on, it seems.

Just pepper in smiley faces here and there.

Compare:

quote:

Janice,

I've provisioned the storage you requested on HPWEB04; 40GB on the primary partition and 20GB on the secondary.

Thanks,
Arbitrary

quote:

Janice,

I've provisioned the storage you requested on HPWEB04; 40GB on the primary partition and 20GB on the secondary. :)

Thanks,
Arbitrary

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Segmentation Fault posted:

the problem with xkcd in particular is that it really appeals to the kind of smug assholes who think they're better than everybody else so it's a red flag in that department

that said I couldn't really care about a co-worker liking xkcd as long as they didn't go all out over it

Yeah, you might even end up with somebody so smug and superior that they'd judge you for mentioning a webcomic you like. That would be terrible. :v:

(Yeah yeah, I know you then immediately said you don't care unless they're dumb about it)

surc fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 7, 2015

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

MiniFoo posted:

We have far too many clients that insist on this. Use the loving web interface!

Also, a computer came in. Overheating, probably needs a new CPU fan.

It might just be pretty dusty though, so let's open it up and -

:sassargh:

Why are you fixing this PC, i spotted at least 3 burst caps from your picture. that thing will randomly die on you real soon.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Frobbe posted:

Why are you fixing this PC, i spotted at least 3 burst caps from your picture. that thing will randomly die on you real soon.

Jesus man, I thought you were over that phase after all those machines you went through. :v:

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Yeah I don't think two sticky notes scotch taped to the screen of my monitor counts as a ticket...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No it does but you should reply and request elaboration using the users preferred communication method.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So they took me off product testing because I'm not officially a Product QA on the payroll and they need more warm bodies at my level because of email promotions and stuff, yet the only reason they need more support at my level is one of the lower tiers is getting swamped and we do overflow for them, forgetting that the other guy helping me is a member of that lower level. :smugjones:

Jokes on them though, because with my hours and with PTO already set aside, I'm only working 10 days this month. I'll work less days on calls than a project that could potentially make us much more money than what they'd save by having me take calls...

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

the problem with xkcd in particular is that it really appeals to the kind of smug assholes who think they're better than everybody else so it's a red flag in that department

that said I couldn't really care about a co-worker liking xkcd as long as they didn't go all out over it

I honestly think the guy interviewing was probably just trying to be friendly and going out of his way to mention something safe and popular on the internet. It's not like MJP is going to get invited in for a second interview and they open a door to a conference room thats just plastered floor to ceiling with xkcd comics.

Besides that you can be friendly with people who like poo poo you don't like.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Man, I feel for you guys working in broadcasting.
When I was much younger (and stupider) I worked for a while for a radio cluster out here.
Won't lie, radio people were the best to work with. Even when stuff was blowing up, and stuff was constantly blowing up.
I do not miss being the only on-call guy for our automation system though.
But yeah, broadcast IT is incredibly fun (and if your antennas happens to be on top of a tall building in the city, you get some fantastic views with your roof access pass, great place to take dates. Observation deck? We don't need no stinking observation deck :smug:) provided you aren't the only guy on staff (and on call) handling the thing that brings in revenue.

OWLS! fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 7, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I honestly think the guy interviewing was probably just trying to be friendly and going out of his way to mention something safe and popular on the internet. It's not like MJP is going to get invited in for a second interview and they open a door to a conference room thats just plastered floor to ceiling with xkcd comics.

Besides that you can be friendly with people who like poo poo you don't like.

thats true. I was just saying.

The old man laptop I have in the store right now is causing me real grief. Basically, user permissions are hosed up: TrustedInstaller can't do a goddamn thing and no user, not even Administrator, can fix the permissions. This is across the board, from folders to registry. Are there any utilities or tools that can fix this short of an OS reinstall?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

thats true. I was just saying.

The old man laptop I have in the store right now is causing me real grief. Basically, user permissions are hosed up: TrustedInstaller can't do a goddamn thing and no user, not even Administrator, can fix the permissions. This is across the board, from folders to registry. Are there any utilities or tools that can fix this short of an OS reinstall?

have you tried subinacl?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...93dcc366?auth=1

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've used this once before and it worked for me. Might be worth a shot:
http://lallouslab.net/2013/08/26/resetting-ntfs-files-permission-in-windows-graphical-utility/

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Woohoo! 2 weeks severance!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

I like and understand XKCD, and I'm about as social as they come and probably as smart as a eukaryote.
I went to college with Randall (Patrick) Munroe.
He is the embodiment of XKCD. Reading his comic is just like having a conversation with him.
He's not smug, he's just incredibly smart, like too smart for most people. He's not unapproachable, it's just that his level of intellect is a little bit too high for most of us plebe's to comprehend.
He graduated and went to work for NASA. The rest of us graduated and went nowhere.

That being said he's a friendly/normal/well-adjusted individual. I think that intelligence and elitism are co-related at BEST, not that one causes the other. Smug assholes will probably be smug assholes regardless.
I think it's entirely possible for super-nerds to exist as normal social creatures.

Now with that being said
XKCD fanboys have a very high probability if being incredibly terrible people.

Now let me play you the song of my people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcAjXRFqbbw

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Trying the Lallous Labs tool first, subinacl didn't want to install to System32 (poo poo's that bad). Going to do subinacl after Lallous works hopefully.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I like and understand XKCD, and I'm about as social as they come and probably as smart as a eukaryote.
I went to college with Randall (Patrick) Munroe.
He is the embodiment of XKCD. Reading his comic is just like having a conversation with him.
He's not smug, he's just incredibly smart, like too smart for most people. He's not unapproachable, it's just that his level of intellect is a little bit too high for most of us plebe's to comprehend.
He graduated and went to work for NASA. The rest of us graduated and went nowhere.

holy poo poo listen to yourself. have some dignity

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The What-if.xkcd articles are worlds better than the actual comics, because they come across as informative without being aggressive or condescending.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

OWLS! posted:

Man, I feel for you guys working in broadcasting.
When I was much younger (and stupider) I worked for a while for a radio cluster out here.
Won't lie, radio people were the best to work with. Even when stuff was blowing up, and stuff was constantly blowing up.
I do not miss being the only on-call guy for our automation system though.
But yeah, broadcast IT is incredibly fun (and if your antennas happens to be on top of a tall building in the city, you get some fantastic views with your roof access pass, great place to take dates. Observation deck? We don't need no stinking observation deck :smug:) provided you aren't the only guy on staff (and on call) handling the thing that brings in revenue.

We have an annual benefit auction/telethon going on this evening.

My boss is testing a ticker bar that shows prices of current items/etc and he thought it flickering was tied to our computer (it's not, it's from the computer output being out of sync with the signal to the TV) and rebooted. It didn't come back up for over an hour because the computer said the video card didn't exist :v:

I'm sure everything will catastrophically gently caress up before we go live this evening, it always does.

E: oh and the best part is, he always bitches about jitter when he has the computer trying to render too many things at once. Why is there jitter? It's using an on-board video card to do the rendering :wtf: and he won't shell out for anything else.

Haquer fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 7, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

holy poo poo listen to yourself. have some dignity

WE'RE NOT WORTHY!

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
My only remote access to a (problematic) client is join.me. The lag, the lag.

:negative:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

pr0digal posted:

No TeamViewer QuickSupport luck?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

pr0digal posted:

Enjoy not seeing UAC prompts!

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Inspector_666 posted:

No TeamViewer QuickSupport luck?

This client is very...particular about access. So I'm using join.me on a lovely laptop over their guest WiFi since "laptops aren't allowed on the LAN"

Dick Trauma posted:

Enjoy not seeing UAC prompts!

Or having all my inputs from my MBP get misinterpreted by the client system.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Screenhero has been nothing but awesome for me (although I've mostly used it for pair programming)

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Apparently the request that I do the webmaster interview came straight from the GM, to the chagrin of supervisor. He told me this morning to come up with a list of questions to drill candidates with, to try and poke any holes in their stories and pick out any weaknesses. Then he suggested some reading to learn how to interview someone.

Is he... is he grooming me for management?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
If by management you mean managerial tasks that will come with no raise or title change, then probably yes.

In all seriousness though, see where it leads.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Just Offscreen posted:

If by management you mean managerial tasks that will come with no raise or title change, then probably yes.

In all seriousness though, see where it leads.

Honestly, I've been going over this in my head, and should the day arrive when I'm still here, but my supervisor quits and I'm then offered the Chief Engineer position, I'm going to decline. I will, however, request that they split Engineering and IT into two departments and make me IT Manager. That way my budget for IT related equipment isn't tied up in Engineering's budget, which eats up 90% of the money we're allowed every budget year. I can also focus on building a decent IT infrastructure without having to beg and grovel to the Chief Engineer.

There's absolutely no way it'll happen, but it'll be a longshot to go out on.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
So far my concerns about the boss being an XKCD snob are thus far unfounded. Very laid-back easy going guy, clearly a techie, doesn't strike me as having apexed the Peter Principle yet.

The IT space was mostly a big room with people's desks up by the walls, lots of individuality, some neat and some cluttered. They had a big electronics repair room. Lots of variants of Tech-12 turntables in various states of repair or going out for/coming back from refurbishment. The DJs swore by certain sub-models of Tech-12. It was pretty cool.

The office IT wasn't as much in terms of big iron as the broadcast side. I got to walk into the actual studios, which was nifty.

The boss and VP did the usual interview, asked some questions about how I'd design storage, past jobs, etc.

Seems a nice spot. My background is VMware, they're Hyper-V, but hopefully I expressed the ability to carry stuff from vSphere Client to SCVMM fairly easily enough.

Got two phone screens and one in-person scheduled for next week.

I've resolved that for every helpdesk-level task I have to do, I will apply to at least three jobs, even if I feel underqualified. On company time, of course. We have no actual tracking of web filter requests, just counts of referrals, and Monster was being hit hard anyway before I got job-itis.

I think I've finally passed the emotional quit phase. My brain has checked out and my body has stopped caring.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Crowley posted:

Jesus man, I thought you were over that phase after all those machines you went through. :v:

You don't understand man, you weren't there! It's like I never left 'nam.

Sometimes I wake up screaming in the night "why did it have to be capxon whyyyyy"

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Hey good news, my boss acted professionally when I put in my resignation and gave me paid two weeks leave to finish out the job. Overall I'm glad I gave him three days to process this before officially quitting.

Now on to better things!

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Hey good news, my boss acted professionally when I put in my resignation and gave me paid two weeks leave to finish out the job. Overall I'm glad I gave him three days to process this before officially quitting.

Now on to better things!

Migishu posted:

Woohoo! 2 weeks severance!

Seriously though, glad that worked out for you. Enjoy your 2 weeks off.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Prepping for a server migration. Got all the RAIDs moved and the new server racked and fibre zoned. We go to turn on the old server so the data can be moved tomorrow and...

Thankfully the secondary controller is booting fine but just when we were about to go home...

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 9, 2015

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Haquer posted:

E: oh and the best part is, he always bitches about jitter when he has the computer trying to render too many things at once. Why is there jitter? It's using an on-board video card to do the rendering :wtf: and he won't shell out for anything else.

Oh god no! That's the one thing you absofuckinglutely have to splurge on. Don't skimp on graphics power when you're going to use it for media graphics. :gonk:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

pr0digal posted:

This client is very...particular about access. So I'm using join.me on a lovely laptop over their guest WiFi since "laptops aren't allowed on the LAN"
Do we have the same client? Mine doesn't even allow RDP or any remote assistance programs (even those that don't use an external server) inside their own LAN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

MJP posted:

Indian recruiters. Not even once.

I love all the recruiters I get who tell me about an close opportunity.

Well yeah Stamford, CT is ~20 miles away from me, but I live in Long Island so it's a 2 hour drive without traffic.

• Locked thread