Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
anyway , as u can see in the video with the watchdog as a regular enemy, you can definitely get bosses as normal enemies.so theres got to be a chalice dungeon out there that has a ton of them in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

upgrading armor was lame and im glad they got rid of it in bloodborne

i hope the bloodgem system or something similar comes back because that little random loot element is great

i kinda liked rare weapon drops .. but i think they should limit those to just variants of weapons u can find in the world. like the spiral rapier from demons souls

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Bobnumerotres posted:

upgrading armor was lame and im glad they got rid of it in bloodborne

i hope the bloodgem system or something similar comes back because that little random loot element is great

ya upgrading armor was tedious and annoying.. having like 6 things you have to use shards on? how about no. also i agree getting a bloodgem drop and immediately checking your inv to see if its better than one you have is some good gamerfeels

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've never upgraded armor I don't think

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Actually I take that back - I had a +5 boar helm in Dark Souls because it looked tight

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
i had like 4 or 5 sets of fully upgraded armor because i played ds1 for 500+ hours and ran out of stuff to do eventually

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I upgraded the eagle shield in dark souls 1, and maybe the purple flame shield in demons, I don't remember.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I upgraded the eagle shield in dark souls 1, and maybe the purple flame shield in demons, I don't remember.

its okay to forget.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i like the current system just fine. if i had to change anything, then i might get rid of straight +1 +2 +3 progression and move to unique customization of everything through gems / mods / whatever. but if they keep it more or less like it is then i have no complaints.

Zodar
May 21, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

i like the current system just fine. if i had to change anything, then i might get rid of straight +1 +2 +3 progression and move to unique customization of everything through gems / mods / whatever. but if they keep it more or less like it is then i have no complaints.

Ya. One thing I liked about Demons Souls was how some of the weapons couldn't be upgraded, but had really high stat scaling. I think they could just drop upgrades and have damage come from your stats and gem slots, so it increases as you level up / find better gems without having to grind for mats

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

im okay with finding ores around the world and stuff for upgrades as long as at some point you can buy infinite quantities of the stuff so that youre not grinding particular enemies for chunks and poo poo

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Maybe if the upgrades were universal or something, kind of like estus flasks. So rather than finding materials and improving a weapon, you find materials and improve your weapon affinity or training or something, and all weapons get the bonus. You would still feel a sense of progress but could play with all the fun weapons.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
a good part about the current system is that it lets them control very exactly what sort of damage you're dealing throughout the game in the way that they make mats available and how many you find. from is really good with difficulty / exp curves, and i think that 1,2,3 upgrading is a part of that.

Dec 26, 2012

In Training posted:

I think they nailed it in DSII, especially once they moved the ember in SotFS to be an earlier location

it was probably best in ds2 because they made scaling independent of base damage, except for the part where titanite shards are limited at first in a game where they throw a ton of weapons at you early, and except for the part where it's super easy to get a +7-8 weapon very early now and dominate lots of the game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3Lq_mNYy2k

The movement looks a lot like Demons, hells yeah

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
the ds3 leadup is making me want to buy scholar of the first sin for the ps4 and play it for the fifth time

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

sick as all hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ2ahQU2WN0

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the flowing ethereal tendrils on its back are awesome. The guy playing needs to dodge towards it!!!

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

and more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha8eRiP0DmI

its gonna be a big and horny day

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

that guy is a nooby noob

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

charge attacks... cool dual wielding combos... good lord

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

HolePisser1982 posted:

charge attacks... cool dual wielding combos... good lord

Charge attacks like the Bloodborne stagger? Can't watch the longer vid atm

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

sorry, thats from the gameplay impressions from the cali event
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM-lzVB5QlA

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
im not gonna click on all this stuff. .. i want to though.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Heres all you need to know: Dark Souls 3 is going to be sick

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

HolePisser1982 posted:

Heres all you need to know: Dark Souls 3 is going to be sick
spoiler tag that poo poo!!

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

In Training posted:

Charge attacks like the Bloodborne stagger? Can't watch the longer vid atm

yeah, but without the visceral part. also running R2 is now automatically jump attack, which is loving cool. also u can kick someone into a riposte

Dec 26, 2012

HolePisser1982 posted:

yeah, but without the visceral part. also running R2 is now automatically jump attack, which is loving cool. also u can kick someone into a riposte

that all sounds incredibly good

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
one thing i hope they keep from 2 are the dickhole NPC invader strategies

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

so vaatvidya has a breakdown of the gamescom demo. its a really long video so

summary:
weapon arts:
-weapon arts can be an alternate stance that enables new moves, or a special attack on its own. it is binded to L2, and is actually based on the kind of shield you have.
-some shields can parry, others have weapon arts enabled, and others slam.
-the actual attack is based on the weapon. some examples are a big uninterrupted uppercut for the greatsword, a roar that boosts your attack power with the axe, a spin attack with dual curved swords, etc.
-these special moves consume "weapon art points," they can only be recovered by resting at bonfires. if you're out of points you can still do the special attacks but they will deal way less damage

other stuff:
-parrying is dark souls 1 style, you need to parry right before the enemy connects for it to work, and it will only give you a very brief window for a riposte.
-rolling is demon souls/dark souls 1 style. it's not as forgiving as bloodborne but it beats the poo poo out of ds2
-no lifegems or anything like them, estus flask use is very fast and recovers health almost instantly
-DS1 style backstabbing is back, but the position for it is a lot pickier and the "smarter" enemies (proper hollow knights and such) have moves designed to punish you for trying to get behind them

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Bobnumerotres posted:

so vaatvidya has a breakdown of the gamescom demo. its a really long video so

summary:
weapon arts:
-weapon arts can be an alternate stance that enables new moves, or a special attack on its own. it is binded to L2, and is actually based on the kind of shield you have.
-some shields can parry, others have weapon arts enabled, and others slam.
-the actual attack is based on the weapon. some examples are a big uninterrupted uppercut for the greatsword, a roar that boosts your attack power with the axe, a spin attack with dual curved swords, etc.
-these special moves consume "weapon art points," they can only be recovered by resting at bonfires. if you're out of points you can still do the special attacks but they will deal way less damage

other stuff:
-parrying is dark souls 1 style, you need to parry right before the enemy connects for it to work, and it will only give you a very brief window for a riposte.
-rolling is demon souls/dark souls 1 style. it's not as forgiving as bloodborne but it beats the poo poo out of ds2
-no lifegems or anything like them, estus flask use is very fast and recovers health almost instantly
-DS1 style backstabbing is back, but the position for it is a lot pickier and the "smarter" enemies (proper hollow knights and such) have moves designed to punish you for trying to get behind them

good poo poo

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i wonder if invasions are still going to be handled the same way. i dont know i think at this point its evident that the whole invasion mechanic from the souls games is something that sounds cool on paper but actually sucks in practice. bloodborne only has invasions in one optional area and i felt blessed for that

Dec 26, 2012

invasions own when they're some dickhead coming in to gently caress up your day because you did something to poke your head out like in demon's souls or original dark souls

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

i wonder if invasions are still going to be handled the same way. i dont know i think at this point its evident that the whole invasion mechanic from the souls games is something that sounds cool on paper but actually sucks in practice. bloodborne only has invasions in one optional area and i felt blessed for that

it was cool in practise

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The invasion mechanic is always sweet and some of my fondest/most vivid gaming memories are of people with really oddly specific strange builds invade me to gently caress around or gently caress me up

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
siure u got those guys who had like havels at sl10 or something in undead burg , but there was a place u could try and make them fall to their death on the wooden bridge before the 3 hollows before andre ... so it was still fun trying.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DS2 really hosed up invasions with making them nonexistent in NG unless you opted into it with a covenant, and Bloodborne had extremely specific PVP stuff that seemed limited enough that I think I've only ever been invaded once. More invasions is better, IMO

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I want one where you can always be invaded and there's an early accessible unlimited invasion item.

Dec 26, 2012

In Training posted:

DS2 really hosed up invasions with making them nonexistent in NG unless you opted into it with a covenant, and Bloodborne had extremely specific PVP stuff that seemed limited enough that I think I've only ever been invaded once. More invasions is better, IMO

soul memory was awful, so was not having consistently available invasion items

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I want one where you can always be invaded and there's an early accessible unlimited invasion item.

i like it being a risk/reward thing where you can do a thing that benefits you but it makes you vulnerable to them but the reward should be really good (like human form in demon's) if they keep it that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

id like invasions a lot more if they only happened as a result of you summoning phantoms. it's a way to balance things for the extra help you're getting, you've got a partner and the invader has the environment and enemies.

level design also plays a huge part in how fun invasions are. dark souls 2 just had really massive levels you could spend hours hunting someone down in whereas demons had really straightforward stages that made it easy to find eachother, dark souls 1 took it to another level and had poo poo like sen's fortress which was invasion paradiso

01011001 posted:

soul memory was awful, so was not having consistently available invasion items

ds2's design punished invading hard, they really overreacted to the complaints about dickwraiths in ds1.