Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

Z3n posted:

Clogged main jet, sounds like. Especially if poo poo was leaking into there.

So pretty much get some canned air and kerosene and clean me a carburetor system? Woo, fun times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
First week with the new bike and I am in love. The thing just is fun. I was concerned the power might overwhelming coming from a 78 400 CB (20 or so hp) but the power bands on the v-twin are predictable and fairly forgiving, considering it can still go crazy fast 0-60. Am looking at replacing the seat or getting an airhawk though, even after an hour my butts getting numb from the stock gel seat.

Also I absolutely love the looks of this thing in person. This naked style still looks so modern even though its just a 2004. Everyone of my non bike friends thinks its brand new.I do love the fact for ~3500 CDN I got a vehicle that goes faster than my coworkers 50 grand Camaro SS 0-60. Hah

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

ArbitraryTA posted:

Mkay, replaced the fuel line and it has much better pickup right until it hits that 4000 RPM mark. I can actually physically feel the power loss once it hits that mark, like someone just took part of the torque away and I shift forward a bit. If I lay the throttle on it still does the same thing where I can hear in the exhaust it sounds like it's getting too much air for how much fuel is coming in.

Things done so far:

Oil change, spark plug replacement, Seafoam fuel treatment, fuel filter bypass and line replacement.

The fuel coming through is crystal clear, so that's good. The fuel filter was actually turning the fuel a loving nasty color and there were particles in the post-filter gas that weren't present in the pre-filter gas in the line.

My SV1000 was doing this when I got it. I believe that the fuel pump damaged itself pulling against the fuel filter the PO clogged up. I ended up needing a new fuel pump, which fixed the issue. I also cleaned out the tank, changed the plugs, changed the filter, sea foamed the intake, etc. It wasn't fixed until I replaced the fuel pump. I think it wasn't able to keep up with heavy loads at higher rpm.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

Day Man posted:

My SV1000 was doing this when I got it. I believe that the fuel pump damaged itself pulling against the fuel filter the PO clogged up. I ended up needing a new fuel pump, which fixed the issue. I also cleaned out the tank, changed the plugs, changed the filter, sea foamed the intake, etc. It wasn't fixed until I replaced the fuel pump. I think it wasn't able to keep up with heavy loads at higher rpm.

Out of curiosity what year SV1000 was that?

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

ArbitraryTA posted:

Out of curiosity what year SV1000 was that?

2003, it's the naked version only sold in the states for one year.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

Day Man posted:

2003, it's the naked version only sold in the states for one year.

Ah ok. This is a 2001, with the carbureted engine. The fuel pump only comes into play once the fuel gets below a certain level and wouldn't be causing this issue as far as I'm aware. It's pretty much the last thing I'm looking at. The way the carbed bike is designed it sucks a lot of the fuel directly into the carb bowls vacuum style but part of the tank is below the carbs, so the fuel pump is there when it's needed.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

M. Night Skymall posted:

My rearsets were a bit hosed up when I got the bike from the previous owner, and I haven't done them any favors :v:. Think I'm at the stage where OEM parts are going to be at least as much as replacing both rearsets with aftermarket parts, not like OEM is cheap. I replaced my gear shift assembly with a cheap one from e-bay once already and was a bit underwhelmed with the quality, though I'm pretty happy with my e-bay levers so far.

Going to gamble on the Danmotos and hope it ends up like the levers and not the gear shift assembly. 50% of the cost of Vortex or Woodcrafts + Risers is a good deal if it works out, reviews on the internet are mixed but some people have had good luck.

Time to do a review of these I guess. They lasted about a year, but were kind of poo poo the whole time with fitment issues and a lot of the bolts feeling pretty lovely. I did get around 8-10k miles on them including one minor tip over before the shift rod sheared, rendering the bike unrideable (The shift rod sheared like 6 months after the tip over, not sure they were related) and not really easily repaired without some serious bodging/fabrication. Going with the SVRacingParts rearsets as a guy next to me who seemed to be unhealthily obsessed with his SV650 was running them at the track and seemed to like them. Still quite a bit cheaper than Vortex/Woodcraft but more than the Danmotos. I have clipons with a 2 inch rise from the same guy and I've been pretty happy with them so I'm hoping the rearsets are similar. They looked pretty solid on the other guy's bike.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009
anyone have recommendation on SV650S seats? my butt gets sore after about 2 hours or riding and I intended to take this bike on longer trips.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Dr. Jackal posted:

anyone have recommendation on SV650S seats? my butt gets sore after about 2 hours or riding and I intended to take this bike on longer trips.

I got a Sargent seat and it's been pretty good to me. When I got the bike the seat was a little torn up and I replaced it pretty much immediately so I can't really do a direct comparison to stock, but I rode it 300-400 miles a day for a couple weeks with an 800 mile day to finish it off and I managed. Also had plenty of 8+ hour weekend day rides outside that trip. If you're going to try that I'd get a bead seat to put on top of whatever seat you end up with, they're awesome. Even with the Sargent/bead seat there was an adjustment process, but 2-3 hours in a day shouldn't be a problem. That said it's not really going to turn the bike into a sport tourer or something in terms of comfort.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Dr. Jackal posted:

I got a Sargent and it was like night and day. I couldn't recommend one enough. As well as being comfortable for as long as I wanted to be on the bike it also made it so my crotch didn't slam into the tank on decel.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Anyone ever replace their front MC with a radial one for a gsxr swap SV? Mine is the stock SV one, it's kinda meh. I have a hose setup where both of the hoses connect with two separate banjos at the MC itself. I'm not sure if that will work on a radial, or how to reconfigure my brake light switch.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I'd be skeptical whether a radial m/c would really make a difference in brake feel in and of itself. Unless the piston is different sized? But I wouldn't think you'd need to go radial to get that. Anyway I'm saying don't buy some expensive aftermarket thing when maybe all you want is a different sized piston m/c. But don't you have a GSXR front end? Does it really not feel good? I would expect any gixxer components to feel fantastic out of the box unless they're like hella old, a gixxer is a top level sport bike after all. Maybe it's got a sticky caliper piston or needs bleeding? If you do swap m/cs I think the double banjo setup at the m/c won't be an issue, just reuse the double width banjo bolt. And if the brake switch is a regular clicky type thing on both m/cs then I think you should just be able to plug it in no problem.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
GSXR master cylinders were recalled a couple of years ago... get one of the new ones. Or be cool, get R6 front calipers, TWF spacers, and an R6 front master.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I've got a track day coming up this weekend and just flushed and bled my front brakes, again. The best they felt was right after I cleaned the pistons last time, but they're adequate for now. Nowhere near as firm as my brother's R6 as the guy above me, mentioned.

Come to think of it, we have a spare set of R6 forks lying around. Any idea how much it would cost to do the swap and pick up an R6 wheel, brakes, mc, etc.?

Edit: I thought I had read about someone doing this swap on svrider, but maybe I'm confused and it's not nearly as easy as a gsxr front end.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 3, 2015

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I heard from a bunch of people more experienced than me that having an axial mc and radial gsxr calipers means you may as well not have the radial calipers at all. My friend just replaced her stock sv one with a radial r1 mc and says it's tons better. I dunno!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The Brammo/MV/newer ducati monsters all have axial MCs with radial calipers, and they're totally fine on the brakes, even under track use.

I'd address the following items in order: Bleed quality (no bubbles!), brake fluid quality (Motul RBF at the minimum, Castrol SRF for track/race use), pad life/quality/appropriateness for use (don't use track pads on the street if you want the brakes to work well over time), MC, lines (as long as the ones on there aren't dry rotted to gently caress rubber ones), calipers.

This assumes that the system is otherwise in decent shape (no seized pistons, not using a recalled GSX-R MC...).

Nearly everyone who's like "Radial MC is SO MUCH BETTER" just drained a bunch of brake fluid that looked like coffee out of their MC. Ya, no poo poo it's better.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 3, 2015

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Gotcha. I was actually just about to install my speed bleeders and refresh the fluid, so I wondered if there was some other while-I'm-in-there upgrade I could do.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

M42 posted:

Gotcha. I was actually just about to install my speed bleeders and refresh the fluid, so I wondered if there was some other while-I'm-in-there upgrade I could do.

Start with the fluid, see how it goes from there - if it's still marginal, get on dat Brembo RCS. (Will need a different double stacked bleeder bolt for the Brembo - they use fine threads, not coarse ones).

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Mitch Williams from CMRA had this to say about the SV650 brakes when I was having all of my issues (OEM front end/calipers)

quote:

If you haven’t replaced your master cylinder yet you should do so. Find a late model R6 or R1 master on ebay. They are brembo radial masters and they sell for about $60 – $80. Huge difference between those and the junk stock master.

So I would do that, but no personal experience with the results.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

xaarman posted:

Mitch Williams from CMRA had this to say about the SV650 brakes when I was having all of my issues (OEM front end/calipers)

So I would do that, but no personal experience with the results.

Worth adding to that that there's a large difference between "OEM Brembo" and "Aftermarket Brembo" - the OEM stuff is built to a mass production budget and QC, whereas the aftermarket stuff (RCS 19 systems) are much higher quality. The SV master cylinders aren't bad by design, it's just that the manufacturing tolerances swing pretty widely, so some are pretty good and some are really crap. Same for the GSX-R MCs, just that they also have the treatment issues that led to the recall on top of that.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

How often do you all change the oil in your SVs? I had it done by a shop in January and I've put on 1600-1700 miles since then so I thought it was time for an oil change. Now I've just done an internet search for what kind of oil to use and found this thread on SVRider: http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28135 in which they say that Suzuki recommends a 3500 mile oil change which seems on the high side to me.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009
3500 is what the user manual says, on that, how often do y'all re-lube your chains? it says clean and lube 600 miles, but that seems very short.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I lube mine every 400ish (every weekend basically) and clean it every 1k. But it rains a ton here and I've been doing some offroading on dusty gravel and mud too.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
Speaking of chains, mine is getting pretty old and worn down and I want to try and replace it myself and put some new sprockets in.

I think you guys like going -1 tooth on the front sprocket? I'd sure like to try that.

I've already ordered a chain breaking/riveting kit, but what else do I need? Any brands/types? What chain length? Where do Canadians order their parts from?

Bike is a naked 07.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
With how wheelie happy the sv is stock, I can't imagine how going -1 would be. Definitely do that, because it's not like you are really going to use that 100+ top end.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Coydog posted:

With how wheelie happy the sv is stock, I can't imagine how going -1 would be. Definitely do that, because it's not like you are really going to use that 100+ top end.

Mine's -1/+2 and it still tops out a little under 140 indicated. It does make being on the highway a tad more annoying though because your RPMs end up high enough to be pretty buzzy over 70 mph.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
140 indicated 105 actual...

hit the bricks pal!
Jan 12, 2009
I asked in the general thread but maybe someone here has had this issue too. My rear brake pad pin is still stuck. I tried penetrating oil and got a manual impact driver but it still won't budge. My problem with the impact driver is I kinda have to come in at an angle since the exhaust is in the way and I figure that's not helping it's effectiveness. Do I need to just off the exhaust or am I missing something? It's a bit frustrating since i just want to change the pads

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah, pull the exhaust to start with. Also just order a replacement caliper on ebay.

MasterOSkillio
Aug 27, 2003
Can anyone give me a recommendation on a good chain/lock combo? Something that would be impossible to cut with a bolt cutter, and not outrageously expensive. I imagine whatever chain/lock I buy would need a chain carrier? My 2008 does not really have room under the seat to store anything that will be thick enough, I think. I live in NYC and I know a few people that have had their bikes stolen because someone drove up with a van and two people lifted their bikes into the back. Obviously my bike is not that expensive, but I'd rather not loose it if I can help.

MasterOSkillio fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 4, 2015

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

NYC sucks for bikes (I live here too). Desirable bikes are snatched up pretty efficiently here, although desirable is usually tilted towards the kind of bikes twat thieves want to ride and not dollar value (I had my WRX with a bigass disc lock stolen off the street during the day, but in my neighborhood there are SVs, a GS, and even an RSV4 on the street regularly with no locks for months on end that go untouched). The ADVrider NYC thread has a guys-in-a-van-nabbed-my-bike post what seems like every couple of weeks.

You will need a bigass chain and lock and a cover ideally. Any chain worth a drat won't fit anywhere but some kind of real luggage. I have tried wrapping them all sorts of ways around the subframe and they always vibrate loose in the wrong way. They are also really heavy and cumbersome. Also something to chain it to that is sturdy, won't piss anyone off, and won't net you a ticket. I have seen a bike chained to a pole on an uncrowded sidewalk on a queens (the land where no laws are enforced) side street way up against a building with a ticket stuffed in the gas cap. The real answer is a garage and it goes without saying you better have comprehensive insurance.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
In a wold of cargo vans, battery powered angle grinders, and hydraulic cutters, locks are merely a deterrent. Securing it inside of a locking structure, or a ground anchor are your best bets, otherwise this is why you have insurance.

I own this chain and it's about as good as it gets.

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/content/kryt-us/en/products/product-information/current-key/999492.html

Be sure to loop it through the frame, try to avoid leaving a lot of slack, and avoid using the wheels as chaining points since those can be removed fairly easily.

Edit: since it's not an high end bike or a supersport, your goal really only has to be this: be harder to steal than another bike. Thieves either want bikes that can be parted out efficiently and profitably, or something easy to steal.

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 7, 2015

MasterOSkillio
Aug 27, 2003

`Nemesis posted:

Edit: since it's not an high end bike or a supersport, your goal really only has to be this: be harder to steal than another bike. Thieves either want bikes that can be parted out efficiently and profitably, or something easy to steal.

I agree, I found the kryptonite 999492 chain for $100 so i grabbed that. Generally my bike is in a garage, but when I go somewhere and it's parked on the street hopefully this will make it a much less appealing target. Especially considering that it has a few dings on it, and doesn't look like the perfect bike.

Quick question, sometimes my bike doesn't want to shift into first gear, it's as if when you push on the gear lever it doesn't feel like it makes contact with anything in the transmission, it's kinda like just dead space, or it will grind a bit going into first. That happens only when I am moving slowly, coming to a stop. Should I look at adjusting my clutch cable? I don't think the clutch isn't disengaging all the way, because it never does that shifting into any other gears or would this be more like something where I need to adjust the gear shift rod? I am not sure where I should start looking.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The transmission relies on rotation on both sides of it in order to get the gear dogs to engage. If you're basically at/nearly at a stop, the bike will often fail to mesh the dogs correctly, so the solution is to downshift to first while you're moving more quickly.

MasterOSkillio
Aug 27, 2003

Z3n posted:

The transmission relies on rotation on both sides of it in order to get the gear dogs to engage. If you're basically at/nearly at a stop, the bike will often fail to mesh the dogs correctly, so the solution is to downshift to first while you're moving more quickly.

Fair enough, what about the times it refuses to shift at all? Where I go to shift it's kinda like there's a dead space? I should have mentioned that often does happen after I'm stopped at a light for a while.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Normal, rock the bike back/forth a little while pressing down on the shift lever to get it done.

MasterOSkillio
Aug 27, 2003

M42 posted:

Normal, rock the bike back/forth a little while pressing down on the shift lever to get it done.

Cool, Thanks!!!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

M42 posted:

And/or slowly let the clutch out a tiny bit while pressing on the shift lever. If the engine's running at the time. Important part is holding pressure on the shift lever. Just banging on it and releasing it doesn't accomplish the same thing.

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

M42 posted:

Anyone ever replace their front MC with a radial one for a gsxr swap SV? Mine is the stock SV one, it's kinda meh. I have a hose setup where both of the hoses connect with two separate banjos at the MC itself. I'm not sure if that will work on a radial, or how to reconfigure my brake light switch.

did you switch to braided lines?

I put braids on my bike and it improved the braking quit a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

`Nemesis posted:

In a wold of cargo vans, battery powered angle grinders, and hydraulic cutters, locks are merely a deterrent. Securing it inside of a locking structure, or a ground anchor are your best bets, otherwise this is why you have insurance.

I own this chain and it's about as good as it gets.

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/content/kryt-us/en/products/product-information/current-key/999492.html

Be sure to loop it through the frame, try to avoid leaving a lot of slack, and avoid using the wheels as chaining points since those can be removed fairly easily.

I use the old tried method of 'out of sight, out of mind'.

I keep my bike in a garage which is a god send and a pain in the arse. Especially when I want to go riding. Apartment complex still gives out the garage door openers the size of coke cans.

• Locked thread