Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tien has a cute boyfriend, superior Chinese dress, and makes up cool moves for people to use like flying and blinding people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I really hope they make an animated Jaco special.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I just read through jaco and it's really good

Beef Chief posted:

For a movie being advertised for the 4th-12th this only is being shown for about 4 of those days at wildly inconsistent times in my area. I really hope they extend the screenings for this like they did with Battle of Gods.

It was only showing for two days in my area lol

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Amorphous Blob posted:

Yamcha cut off Oozaru Goku's tail and saved the world.

Also he drives cool cars and is a professional athlete. i think Tien is the real loser here: all he does is train and he still jobs like hell. At least Yamcha saved Krillin by taking on that saibaman.

Tien beat the everloving poo poo out of Yamcha though, so clearly he's better.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Imagine Yamcha using his Wolf Fang Fist! attack on a frieza goon.

KoB
May 1, 2009

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Tien has a cute boyfriend, superior Chinese dress, and makes up cool moves for people to use like flying and blinding people.

Turns triangles into squares.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Yamcha stayed behind to look after Chaoutzu, the eternal little boy

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't like that they pronounce Jaco as the Japanese word, because I like his name sounding like the hero of a Wild West story.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
How would you pronounce it?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Taco? Paco?

Loved that bit in R:F

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Some Numbers posted:

How would you pronounce it?

Jay-ko

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I prefer Yah-ko.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Mraagvpeine posted:

I prefer Yah-ko.

But when would the rest of the Warners show up, though?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
:lol: at Colonel Silver getting his rear end kicked immediately, and the whole Murasaki fight

Also, mods namechange to Major Metallitron tia

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 7, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Farecoal posted:

:lol: at Colonel Silver getting his rear end kicked immediately, and the whole Murasaki fight

Silver complaining that Goku "kicks like a Donkey" is one of my favorite bits of the English dub.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Amorphous Blob posted:

Yamcha cut off Oozaru Goku's tail and saved the world.

Also he drives cool cars and is a professional athlete. i think Tien is the real loser here: all he does is train and he still jobs like hell. At least Yamcha saved Krillin by taking on that saibaman.

Krillin wouldn't have lost to that saibaman in the first place. Yamcha would have just been beasted by Nappa along with everyone else.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Saw the new movie last night, realized just now how tragic it is we aren't going to see a TFS dub of it that gets in one last "You aren't dealing with an average Saiyan warrior anymore, Frieza...".

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AaNphgKCl8

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I liked the poo poo talking in this movie. Everyone's burning everyone

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That dude voicing Freeza loving rules.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rodyle posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Ayres

everyone agrees

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Squallege posted:

I liked the poo poo talking in this movie. Everyone's burning everyone

Yeah, the dub loving owned with this. Sick burns being thrown around from both sides.

Anybody catch Kaiseneko's bit role in it? He's in the credits after all

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yamcha's problem isn't being not being cool so much as having nothing cool to do but still showing up. He isn't just irrelevant; he's irrelevant but isn't allowed to fade into the background and play superhuman baseball. ("Guy who couldn't fight gods but was still beyond human limits so he became a pro athlete" would be an actual character role so it's a shame he couldn't stay in it.)

Having him just stop appearing was probably the way to go.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Farecoal posted:

People can talk all they want about Goku being pure of heart, but the boiling water scene here was super evil.

Related videos: "How did Krillin seduce 18? Applying real life relationship psychology to Dragon Ball Z"

:chloe:

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Rodyle posted:

Seriously. I thought it was good in Kai, but this takes the cake.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Petiso posted:

People can talk all they want about Goku being pure of heart, but the boiling water scene here was super evil.

I was big fan of the Power Pole trick, personally.

quote:

Related videos: "How did Krillin seduce 18? Applying real life relationship psychology to Dragon Ball Z"

Ughhhhhh

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Rand Brittain posted:

Yamcha's problem isn't being not being cool so much as having nothing cool to do but still showing up. He isn't just irrelevant; he's irrelevant but isn't allowed to fade into the background and play superhuman baseball. ("Guy who couldn't fight gods but was still beyond human limits so he became a pro athlete" would be an actual character role so it's a shame he couldn't stay in it.)

Having him just stop appearing was probably the way to go.

Its an unfortunate remnant for his role as the very first rival in the series, and subsequently, one of Goku's earliest friends who could actually throw a punch. It made it easier to excuse him showing up after the shift to the martial arts and world saving focus, and likely also made him easier for Toriyama to even remember (unlike say, Launch).

But then, as you say, he doesn't actually get to do anything. For the Saiyans, he's used as the first casualty (against the Saibamen, whereas the others at least chumped to Nappa), and then against the Androids almost dies, and later shows up to be cannon fodder against the Cell Jrs. Krillin had his moments on Namek and helped move the plot along in the Cell saga even if he couldn't even hope to win in a fight; Tien at the very least gets his advanced geometry as something to justify his presence, building up to that moment.

Yamcha just... doesn't, as far as I can remember. The worst part is that I feel like it wouldn't have been very hard, at least in the Android saga. Maybe actually let him use his sword again, since Trunks was swinging one around... :sigh:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Petiso posted:

He's short and bald. I thought she was into that, or am I mixing up TFS with canon?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
In my fix for the Buu Saga, Yamcha would have married Chi-Chi and been the actual for realsies father of Goten, then sacrificed himself saving a bunch of people including his son from Buu.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I'm up to speed on all things Dragon Ball, but my brother hasn't seen Battle of Gods, and after a last minute cancellation from my wife, he's going to be joining me at the theater tomorrow. Do they do a decent job of recapping the previous movie?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

New Leaf posted:

I'm up to speed on all things Dragon Ball, but my brother hasn't seen Battle of Gods, and after a last minute cancellation from my wife, he's going to be joining me at the theater tomorrow. Do they do a decent job of recapping the previous movie?

It's honestly not really necessary to know much about BoG other than "Beerus and Whis are divine beings who are incredibly strong" Other than the fact that those characters exist, Resurrection F is pretty self-contained.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

New Leaf posted:

Just explain who beerus and whis are, why pilaf is a kid, and who Jaco is and you're good to go.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Super Saiyan God might be something you want to mention a little.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

mabels big day posted:

Just explain who beerus and whis are, why pilaf is a kid, and who Jaco is and you're good to go.

He actually read Jaco, so he's good on that!

He'll at least need a primer on God-Ki right?

Edit: Beaten. Thanks goons!

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Resurrection of N is next, right??

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I always liked Yamcha, his character design was pretty badass with the long hair and the scar. That and the Spirit Ball is probably one of the more technically interesting ideas that scale with power.

Like, could Yamcha make two and fight his enemy remotely? Just have two balls of energy act like fists instead of him?

I'd like him to have a moment in the sun along with Tien and Krillin, they're normal humans in a world of Gods, Namekians, Saiyans and Killer Robots.

I mean, surely it would be relatively simple? Major villain occupies Goku and Vegeta, sends henchmen out to strategically important places in the world, everyone fights a person close to their own power. I think probably one of the more interesting things in DBZ is the potential for "Team" fights. You very rarely have two people fighting two villains concurrently and trying to coordinate their attacks with each other and I imagine Krillin/Yamcha and Tien/Chiaotzu would be particularly good at them.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Farecoal posted:

Resurrection of N is next, right??

Resurrection G[arlic]

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Rebuild of C

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
You can (not) transform

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I always liked Yamcha, his character design was pretty badass with the long hair and the scar. That and the Spirit Ball is probably one of the more technically interesting ideas that scale with power.

Like, could Yamcha make two and fight his enemy remotely? Just have two balls of energy act like fists instead of him?

I'd like him to have a moment in the sun along with Tien and Krillin, they're normal humans in a world of Gods, Namekians, Saiyans and Killer Robots.

I mean, surely it would be relatively simple? Major villain occupies Goku and Vegeta, sends henchmen out to strategically important places in the world, everyone fights a person close to their own power. I think probably one of the more interesting things in DBZ is the potential for "Team" fights. You very rarely have two people fighting two villains concurrently and trying to coordinate their attacks with each other and I imagine Krillin/Yamcha and Tien/Chiaotzu would be particularly good at them.

...So, make Yamcha an even bigger Toru Furuya reference thing? Upgrade from Spirit Ball to Spirit Funnels? While we're at it let's toss in him appearing out of nowhere wearing a tuxedo and a mask. Also something involving a Pegasus...

• Locked thread