Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierced Bronson
Dec 26, 2011

shooting laser guns
and eating pussy

Bape Culture posted:

Lemforder are fine I think they might even be the oem supplier

they definitely are for upper strut mounts, so even if they didn't make the tie rods I'd assume they were at least o.e. quality.

mungtor posted:

I had one as a loaner last year and I hated it.

Sounds like you just wanted it to be more like your e90. The steering especially is hard to compare between that and the new feel, since E90's pretty much all have what I'd consider unusually heavy steering (for any car). Someone with an early Mazda 6 would feel more at home probably; their steering is more on par with the F30's electric steering. It is undoubtedly light, but compared to an E90 it's like there's nothing there at all. Ergonomically I can get either to feel the way I want it to, but aesthetically the newer cars do have a sort of neo-corporate-utopia theme going on. As long as the car has navigation and therefore the bigger iDrive display, the car feels alright to be in and the aesthetics don't bother me at all. Without nav tho, they give you a smaller display that just screams "you're a poor" and it changes the whole feel of the interior. Also I've never had a problem backing in to any spot, which i have to do all goddamn day at the dealership, but I turn around in my seat and look out the rear window like they tell you to do in driver's ed.

Pierced Bronson fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
The biggest problem that I had driving a F3x was that the center console has some sort of hatred for my knees. I don't know if I'm just weirdly proportioned, but I couldn't drive it without the hard edge of the console making my leg really uncomfortable unless I twisted myself slightly.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Vessel From Denny posted:

the timing belt change is just around the corner

NitroSpazzz posted:

Either way timing belt
Wat.
edit: Oh, E30 6cyl.

Also, F30 chat... I've had a loving fleet of them as loaners over the past 4 months and they are great commuters. Far better MPG than my E46 and comfortable to drive. But for fun? gently caress no.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 5, 2015

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Sinestro posted:

The E9x 3 series was kind of the Simpsons Season 9 of the 3 series. Still great, but you can see the cracks definitely forming.

I don't think they know what to do with the 3 series. The 1/2 series has replaced it as the sporty compact car and they don't want to make it nice enough to challenge a 5/6 series. It's like the Ford Fusion of the BMW lineup now. Not terrible, but not really great at anything in particular. An ok car that most people will probably like but enthusiasts won't be impressed by.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Are three E30s enough?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Probably too many, actually. I'll take one off your hands. You're welcome.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

8ender posted:

I don't think they know what to do with the 3 series. The 1/2 series has replaced it as the sporty compact car and they don't want to make it nice enough to challenge a 5/6 series. It's like the Ford Fusion of the BMW lineup now. Not terrible, but not really great at anything in particular. An ok car that most people will probably like but enthusiasts won't be impressed by.

I have a hard time telling the new 3 and 5 apart until I see if the headlights touch the kidney grilles.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
wait another year the new 7 already has the tearducts the 5 is next :comeback:

Liking my MT F10 535 better since I had an exhaust put on (so I can actually hear the engine) as well as ditched the run flats for some Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I might put the ACS springs on it next year for the hell of it - or I might sell it and get an M3/Tahoe combo that I should have gotten in the first place......or maybe a used F10 M5 and a trailer.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

It seems like newer 5's are actually really nice since they aren't supposed to be that sporty and raw anyway. Car nerds seem to not like the F30 very much, how about the M3?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Infinotize posted:

It seems like newer 5's are actually really nice since they aren't supposed to be that sporty and raw anyway. Car nerds seem to not like the F30 very much, how about the M3?

the e39 and older where actually pretty sporty cars for their size. They filled the niche between the 7 and the 3 very very very well.

I think when my LR3 croaks, I'd like to get into an E39 M5 (depending on the price)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

so far i've heard two stories about the e39 540i:

1) really nice torquey full size sedan wow everyone get one!

2) snoooooooooooooooooooooooooze

oh well going to inspect one today idc

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
GDCS!

My car had been leaking coolant for a couple of weeks and the expansion tank gave up the ghost last night. Fortunately I was able to stop the car almost instantaneously and am optimistic that nothing serious got damaged.

The local shop has quoted me $360 for the expansion tank, upper radiator hose and expansion tank thermostat.

I was about to get the Stewart EMP pump as well, and based on this thread expected it to be north of $1,000 and maybe as much as $1,500. The quote for the pump is $195 and with $270 in labor, so $465 total. Am I missing something on this?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
E39's are great and share a shitload of parts with the E46 and basically served as a "bigger 3." F10 went a bit too far towards the luxo Lexus MBZ side and is basically a "smaller 7." The next version of the 5 will lose 400 lbs through carbon fiber usage so it should be good.

Most of the F10's probs (except the electric steering and bulk) can be attacked with upgrades though - sort of. What is a nice surprise though is I can take the same offramps that I used to demolish with my E46/E90 at the same speed - the grip is sublime.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Noggin Monkey posted:

GDCS!

My car had been leaking coolant for a couple of weeks and the expansion tank gave up the ghost last night. Fortunately I was able to stop the car almost instantaneously and am optimistic that nothing serious got damaged.

The local shop has quoted me $360 for the expansion tank, upper radiator hose and expansion tank thermostat.

I was about to get the Stewart EMP pump as well, and based on this thread expected it to be north of $1,000 and maybe as much as $1,500. The quote for the pump is $195 and with $270 in labor, so $465 total. Am I missing something on this?

Hard to know what is reasonable or not when you don't tell us what car you have but generally water pumps are cheap and not too terrible to replace

E: e46 325, so m54, that seems to be in line with expectations

rscott fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 6, 2015

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Keyser S0ze posted:

E39's are great and share a shitload of parts with the E46 and basically served as a "bigger 3." F10 went a bit too far towards the luxo Lexus MBZ side and is basically a "smaller 7." The next version of the 5 will lose 400 lbs through carbon fiber usage so it should be good.

Most of the F10's probs (except the electric steering and bulk) can be attacked with upgrades though - sort of. What is a nice surprise though is I can take the same offramps that I used to demolish with my E46/E90 at the same speed - the grip is sublime.

E39 is much more of a short-wheelbase E38 7-series than a long-wheelbase 3-series.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

fyodor posted:

So...basically 540 vs 528 then? Seems about right.

e: oops, I read gud. I guess it just comes down to a person's expectations and the cars they've experienced that they are comparing it to.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Noggin Monkey posted:

GDCS!

There's no reason to believe that the Stewart pump is worth the extra cash. Skip it, cause it's not likely to outlive 3 separate OEM part replacements that would still cost less than it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CornHolio posted:

E39 is much more of a short-wheelbase E38 7-series than a long-wheelbase 3-series.

E39s had such a rigid body, they didn't change much when they made the E60.

Its not hard to find an E39 with 300k miles on the clock running just fine as long as they have been looked after. The local dealer in town has a guy who stops in with a 97 that stops in for maintenance. 398k miles last service. The only problems hes having is its burning oil a little more excessively, but the owner plans on killing it.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

rscott posted:

Hard to know what is reasonable or not when you don't tell us what car you have but generally water pumps are cheap and not too terrible to replace

E: e46 325, so m54, that seems to be in line with expectations

Whoops, sorry about that. You got it, E46 M54 2006 325ci.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

BraveUlysses posted:

There's no reason to believe that the Stewart pump is worth the extra cash. Skip it, cause it's not likely to outlive 3 separate OEM part replacements that would still cost less than it.

This man is a smart man.

Just get an OEM Saleri pump for $60 or pick up a genuine one for ~$100 if you can't afford to wait on shipping. "Upgraded" cooling components for the E46 are really a joke since the cooling system isn't anywhere near as failure prone as people make it out to be . It sucks that your expansion tank actually blew up, but this is the kind of thing you'll have to deal with at most twice throughout your ownership of the car and that's assuming you keep the car for a long loving time.

Edit- Don't listen to anyone who tries to sell you on aftermarket water pumps with metal impellers either. The composite is fine.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I think when my LR3 croaks, I'd like to get into an E39 M5 (depending on the price)

Prices on the E39 M car seem all over. What's funny is you can find E60 M5's with half the miles at the same or less $$$. Granted the E60 wasn't the prettiest and it wants to eat SMG parts, but it seems a worthy sacrifice when you hear those ten cylinders singing the siren song of Munich.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Prices on the E39 M car seem all over. What's funny is you can find E60 M5's with half the miles at the same or less $$$. Granted the E60 wasn't the prettiest and it wants to eat SMG parts, but it seems a worthy sacrifice when you hear those ten cylinders singing the siren song of Munich.

The E39 M5 is something that can be reasonably maintained... the V10 is... not. :lol: But yes, that noise.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Really want to buy this car but I know it's overpriced by quite a bit despite how good condition it's in

http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?id=5192&form_display=51#.VcQGL_mGPuM

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Why the gently caress would you pay M3 price for a 328.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Crustashio posted:

Low mileage, rare options and custom factory order? It's EAG, what do you expect?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
The deed is done. My fate is sealed.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Crustashio posted:

Haha, I thought it was a loving M3 when I glanced at the price and first side shot.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
That's on the high end of mint, low mile e36 M3 money.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Every e36 is a beater. Source: I have two.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

User Error posted:

Every e36 is a beater. Source: I have two.

Especially that E36. God that thing's VCG must be so hard and dry by now it'd leak oil faster than you can replace it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Lightbulb Out posted:

Wow that's a shiny '87.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

fyodor posted:

The E39 (and E34 to a certain extent) are remarkable because they can do both of those things. Angry monsters when you're pushing them but you're riding on a cloud if you just want to soak up highway miles. They seem to accomplish this with about a million rubber pieces that start to degrade immediately after installation.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Lightbulb Out posted:

Woah. Nicely done!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BraveUlysses posted:

Low mileage, rare options and custom factory order? It's EAG, what do you expect?

EAG is great if you have a ton of money to burn and don't want to spend the time looking for a car. Their showroom is worth a visit if you're ever in the area.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Why would you buy a boring "rare" slow car when you could have an m3 for the same money I don't understand. In 30 years nobody is going to be desperately searching for a 328 because it has some options.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

Am I crazy or do E9x interiors seem kind of cheap compared to E46 interiors (which aren't exactly bastions of quality themselves)? I was cross shopping with '09-10ish E92s when I bought my ZHP and even the friend I had with me for a couple of test drives was kind of taken aback at the difference in interior feel. Still liked the cars a lot, though.

Comparing my 325ti and my old 330ci to my buddy's e9x 330i touring, the e90 doors feel tinny, as if they've lightened them, but otherwise I prefer the e9x interior, especially the in-dash cupholder option.

He's had a bunch of dumb e9x stuff break as well, but nothing trim related. And I'd love that N series engine in the -ti, at least until the injection or electrics went tits-up.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Lightbulb Out posted:

What's up '87 buddy? Is it a real -is?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

SuperDucky posted:

What's up '87 buddy? Is it a real -is?

It's a legit -is. Now I have two. It's pretty much perfect but it needs the things my other cars have - E36 rack, short shifter. I think it also might have a minor vacuum leak.

It also has less than 100k.

Lightbulb Out fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 7, 2015

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Bape Culture posted:

Why would you buy a boring "rare" slow car when you could have an m3 for the same money I don't understand. In 30 years nobody is going to be desperately searching for a 328 because it has some options.

I dunno, I miss my E36 328i 5-speed often. Not enough to spend that kind of money on it, but for a cheap fun car it was hard to beat. I'd probably spend four grand tops on one, in decent shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
Another "LOL BMWs have electrical problems" post

I have a 2009 335i that likes to chew up driver's side high beam bulbs. Like, I have to replace it every month or so. Is this a common thing? Is there something I can do to keep them from burning out?