Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

joe football posted:

That format was really crazy. Trump gets asked to please explain all your terrible bankruptcies, the next question to Rubio is how would you help small businesses and puppies. I guess maybe it's hard to ask 10 candidates the same questions and have time for a lot of different issues, but some candidates got really insane gotcha questions. I think the thing with Bush and being on the board of some charity was the dumbest

Those gotcha questions ended up being a launch pad for something completely unrelated so it doesn't really matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010

Duke Igthorn posted:

I watched that whole debate, what does Ben Carson do for a living? I must have missed it.

Give racist white people a black man to validate their views.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Cruz kept pausing like he was waiting for applause. I guess that's his thing now.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I think it's pretty safe to say after this one that Trump is still in, and Rand Paul is not making it to the next debate.

I'm really interested to see how people respond to Kasich.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

radical meme posted:

Personal opinion is that Kaisich and Christie did really well. Rubio Bush and Walker held their own. But Trump won because he didn't implode. The rest did nothing to excite or even stand out.

This, but also Huck. Huckabee came over a lot better than I expected him to. JEB and Walker didn't even meet my low expectations, Jesus what a shitshow :barf:

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Mirthless posted:

I think it's pretty safe to say after this one that Trump is still in, and Rand Paul is not making it to the next debate.

I'm really interested to see how people respond to Kasich.

You think Rand Paul's out? Why?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Mirthless posted:

I'm going to put my money on the opening 'raise your hands' thing hurting Trump really, really badly. Exactly as it was intended to do.

But I guess we'll see the polls in a few days.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
My first impression is that Rubio, Huckabee, and Carson all had a good night with Rubio probably doing best.

Kasich did well, and will get some positive media coverage, but it's hard to see what he said having much appeal in a GOP primary.

Rand achieved his goal, which was to shore up his base of Libertarians, but might have done some damage outside of that group.

Walker and Cruz were just treading water. Jeb! didn't do anything to disabuse people of the notion that he's bad at public speaking and waffles on issues. He probably had the worst night.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Meridian posted:

Yeah I think he'll go the distance. His base of isolationist libertarians has a single digit ceiling but they'll pony up the cash to keep his campaign going just like dear old dad.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I think a lot of people who are fed up with Fox News are going to call this a Trump win. The Kochdidates really didn't do anything exciting. Kasich is going to get a bump, maybe, and I'd expect to be seeing more of him.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Meridian posted:

He got the least speaking time and blew every question that was tossed his way. He completely failed to get his message out there, the things he did say had no substance, and any time he interacted with somebody else (esp. Christie) he got dunked on, hard. If there was a winner, it was Trump. If there was a loser, it was definitely Paul.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
The Trump hate and Carson love in the Luntzgroup was weird as hell.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Fintilgin posted:

I'm going to put my money on the opening 'raise your hands' thing hurting Trump really, really badly. Exactly as it was intended to do.

I don't think it will. People like him because he's "honest". And that moment set him against the rest of the pack right from square one.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Mirthless posted:

Trump's questions were clearly all targeted at sinking him, and only one of them had a shaky answer (and then they let him counterpoint and he knocked it out of the park)

Bush's questions seemed like they were meant to test what kind of answers he could come up with on the fly, like softball Gotchas, if that's a thing, and I think he dropped the ball completely. I was unimpressed with Jeb. He flubbed answers and stuttered like a kid who needs speech therapy. He doesn't seem to get how to start or end an answer - a lot of answers with good meat but a lovely bun, so to speak.

Softball gotchas would be a good forums username

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

pugnax posted:

The Trump hate and Carson love in the Luntzgroup was weird as hell.

I can't help it - I love Ben Carson. :shrug: Kasich too. I would be completely okay with either of these guys being the next POTUS.

Not that I really have to worry about it, the bern man's well on his way to the white house already :bernin:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Edmund Lava posted:

I don't think it will. People like him because he's "honest". And that moment set him against the rest of the pack right from square one.

Yeah, you may be right. I'm happy to admit that I may not have my finger on the pulse of the average Republican voter. :shobon:

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Trump's response is going to be fantastic.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

I wonder if people call Jeb and bitch at him when he flubs something, or if they let him pretend he's a big boy and actually in charge of his own campaign

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Mirthless posted:

I can't help it - I love Ben Carson. :shrug: Kasich too. I would be completely okay with either of these guys being the next POTUS.

Not that I really have to worry about it, the bern man's well on his way to the white house already :bernin:

If the republicans were smart Kasich would get the nom. He would probably be the hardest to beat in the general.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
I hope questions from random audience members yelling at the stage become a regular feature of primary debates going forward

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

rear end cobra posted:

Trump's response is going to be fantastic.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Who won the smaller shittier debate?

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Michael Scott posted:

The consensus seems to be Fiorina

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Fintilgin posted:

I think it would have hurt him if they'd softballed him the rest of the debate or set him up in opportunities to look ungracious, but they played right into his hands. Making it look like the media and republican establishment is working against him just makes his threat more credible.

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Debate Summary: Trump loving kicked rear end. Bush started well, then grew progressively more stuttering, before flubbing his final statement badly. Kasich, Rubio, and Carson will get a bump. Rand Paul should probably save everybody's time and drop out.

I agree with every word of this, although I'm kind of astonished to see Bush and Paul do so poorly. I guess this is another case of media hyping up people far beyond what they're actually capable of

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
The Drudge poll has Trump running away with the win at 40+%, nobody else is even half that. Bush is at 2.8%.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Michael Scott posted:

Fiorina apparently

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Michael Scott posted:

Everyone who wasn't in it. It was not a candidacy-friendly event.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Edmund Lava posted:

I can't believe that they went straight for Trumps jugular only ~20 minutes in. And it didn't work. Incredible. I've been laughing off the possibility of a Trump nomination for weeks now, but now I really think he can do it. He apparently can't say anything bad or dumb enough to sink his campaign, he's got all the money he needs to stay in this thing as long as he wants, and his opponents look absolutely feeble next to him- especially all on a stage like tonight.

Whoever it is taking over for Jon Stewart is going to get everything he needs in the next year and a half to make his career. :allears:

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Mirthless posted:

He got the least speaking time and blew every question that was tossed his way. He completely failed to get his message out there, the things he did say had no substance, and any time he interacted with somebody else (esp. Christie) he got dunked on, hard. If there was a winner, it was Trump. If there was a loser, it was definitely Paul.

Carson I feel got the least amount of time to speak, which is probably for the best considering he had nothing to say. I don't know, I honed in on the mass surveillance thing as there was nothing else of any substance said by anyone else. REPEAL OBAMA CARE AND DE-FUND PLANNED PARENTHOOD wasn't really substantial enough for me to say that anyone else "won."

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

Everyone who wasn't in it. It was not a candidacy-friendly event.

Calling it the VP bracket would probably be less insulting than what it was.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Bush did shockingly bad. I can barely remember anything he said. I would say trump won, Kasich may get a boost with the fabled moderates, and Christie did okay.

Walker was just scary. Dude really has a war boner.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I don't think Trump came off as bad as Fox is saying.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

rear end cobra posted:

The consensus seems to be Fiorina

Fiorina is trump but a female tech industry billionaire, so you know she's tough as nails and sharp as glass. I haven't watched the kiddie table debate yet but I imagine she tore them to ribbons. Running the biggest IT giant in the world (depending on who you asked at the time, anyway) during one of the biggest periods of growth in the industry means she has a lot of experience cutting through bullshit and putting simpering yes-men in their place.

Every source seems to agree Carly dunked her competition, so I wouldn't be surprised to see her have a big jump in the polls and start wading into the bid kid pool. The only real question now is who she's going to push out on the way in.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Cigar Aficionado posted:

The Drudge poll has Trump running away with the win at 40+%, nobody else is even half that. Bush is at 2.8%.

lol suck a dick luntz

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:
I wonder how many people actually watched this debate. We've got a full year until the convention and I feel like a lot of voters are still tuned out. On the other hand, it was far, far more entertaining than any of the 2008 or 2012 debates I watched

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Edmund Lava posted:

Bush did shockingly bad. I can barely remember anything he said. I would say trump won, Kasich may get a boost with the fabled moderates, and Christie did okay.

Walker was just scary. Dude really has a war boner.

Everyone in MSM is going to play this down as Trump, out of his element, lost the debate, but I guarantee the right wing blogosphere has to be going loving crazy about how great Trump did today.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Joementum posted:

My first impression is that Rubio, Huckabee, and Carson all had a good night with Rubio probably doing best.

Really? You think Rubio's promise to unleash the hounds of the IRS on religion will be applauded by the base?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Trump/Fiorina '16 shall usher in the Great Bankruptcy.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

If the republicans were smart Kasich would get the nom. He would probably be the hardest to beat in the general.

Kasich would have a questionable time carrying his own state of Ohio. He's probably the closest thing to Generic Republican.

• Locked thread