Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Julias posted:

A lot of people complain about this, and I can definitely understand the frustration at it when you have to put a lot of money into these decks and spend a lot of money and time traveling to events, especially compared to other TCGs like Magic the Gathering. The thing is, the author of the original manga, Kazuki Takahashi, said that he didn't want the card game to have Cash prizes, because he felt that it went against the playful spirit of the game (Ironic, isn't it :v:), and monetized prizes are apparently illegal in Japan, so it's a case of respecting the authors wishes and the company's structure.

It's funny when you consider that the way Pegasus drew so many people to Duelist Kingdom.... was by offering them a cash prize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Onmi posted:

What do you mean?

Fusions, Synchros and XYZ are all just slightly different ways of combining multiple creatures into a stronger one. It just feels redundant.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

RatHat posted:

Fusions, Synchros and XYZ are all just slightly different ways of combining multiple creatures into a stronger one. It just feels redundant.

Yes but no, sort of but not really. Each type offers an entirely different way of going about the use of your monsters.

For Fusion, not only do you usually need an extra card to initiate the combination, but the fusions are usually specific and powerful, Unlike a Castel or Stardust, they're not generic outside of a stark few.
For Synchro, you're trading field presence for, what was at the time of creation, an unprecedented fast way to build your units together. This was the first time the extra deck got filled out if you weren't playing HERO, since every deck could synchro, and the way you constructed your deck decided what you could use.
For Xyz, It's benefiting your synergy and provides you a cost ability mechanic that gives you a bit of power NOW for less power later. Crimson Blader will always have his ability, so a Level 4 Tuner and Level 4 Material will always make him a powerful option. On the other hand, a Castel or SHark? Not necessarily the strongest monsters, but trading less power for the ability to affect the board state in a powerful way now.

Fusion, you can claim, is the worst, and it is, because Fusion was poo poo in its conception when they didn't know what the gently caress to do. By the time they did, We were well past synchro's.

But the short of it while all three are about 'combining' creatures, They create three different types of creatures with some overlap. Fusion is almost exclusively an archetype Boss Monster and can be used from the hand, but needs a trigger. Synchro is a more generic boss monster creation, but it also requires the creatures to be on the field, and requires the tuner. Xyz on the other hand can BE boss monsters, but almost entirely are going to be used for their utility and flexibility.

Could it work if they were all one creature type? Sure, except for Xyz, but you know what? It'd also really complicate that creature type instead of just having a new one.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Now do Rituals.

Basically worse than Fusions, the few that are good [Gishkis, Nekroz] have ways of recycling the ritual spell card and not needing to tribute as much.

Lisandra_brave
May 26, 2013

You really think someone would do that?
Just go on the internet and tell lies?

Chicken Race is a FUN card. Still wish that Tempest was useful outside FTK poo poo. Abductor never stops getting counters in the P zone. Oh, and CHICKEN RACE IS UPSTARTS 4, 5, AND 6. Add Pseudo space to that, and that's 9 upstarts. Chicken race requires zero actual investment

E: What about rituals? Their main problem is that they're maindeck monsters, as opposed to extra deck monsters, so you need to have at least two specific cards in hand to get them going, and generally at least 3.

Lisandra_brave fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 6, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Now do Rituals.

Basically worse than Fusions, the few that are good [Gishkis, Nekroz] have ways of recycling the ritual spell card and not needing to tribute as much.

Much like fusion, Rituals are a case of "What the gently caress am I doing with this mechanic?" In theory, it's making a generic version of what fusions would do, in PRACTICE all it wound up being was crap mostly because like the first wave of fusions? They didn't have stats that much better than what you could play for less cards. The thing is Ritual NOW means "A deck built around these monsters." You cannot slide Rituals into a deck that isn't focused on that ritual, sort of like Fusions, BUT unlike fusions, every card in the deck is going to work to making that Ritual come out. The reason Nekroz and Gishki worked were purely down to every card searching every other card and having a use in the hand when NOT being a monster on the field. Rituals just sort of exist as a part of yugiohs history that are their own decks now because their original function failed hard.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 6, 2015

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Beef Chief posted:

I'm gonna try a Chicken Race deck and see just how degenerate this deck is.

EDIT: BAN THIS loving CARD

I'VE BEEN SAYING THIS SINCE IT RELEASED.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Onmi posted:

Much like fusion, Rituals are a case of "What the gently caress am I doing with this mechanic?"

These were cool reads, thanks.

Lisandra_brave
May 26, 2013

Beef Chief posted:

I'm gonna try a Chicken Race deck and see just how degenerate this deck is.

EDIT: BAN THIS loving CARD

Banning a card just because you don't like it is silly. Banning a card because it enables problem cards is also silly. The ones that should catch the ban are the problem cards, not the enablers.
So much has been banned because Blaze Fenix exists. So much can't get printed because exodia exists.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Chicken Race is nothing, the real insane card is Lose 1 Turn. I think I'm up to 3 games this week which I've single-handily lost to it because MST was the only answer in my deck which it didn't lock down itself. :shepicide:

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Xoidanor posted:

Chicken Race is nothing, the real insane card is Lose 1 Turn. I think I'm up to 3 games this week which I've single-handily lost to it because MST was the only answer in my deck which it didn't lock down itself. :shepicide:

What was your deck?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lisandra_brave posted:

Banning a card just because you don't like it is silly. Banning a card because it enables problem cards is also silly. The ones that should catch the ban are the problem cards, not the enablers.
So much has been banned because Blaze Fenix exists. So much can't get printed because exodia exists.

Honestly Royal Magical Library is the card that probably needs to be banned or limited, Chicken Race on its own isn't a super huge threat, but RML is a dumb card. If you ever fight against Chicken Race FTK in an actual tournament setting it would be incredibly easy to side against, but it's just a very degenerate card that causes a lot of shenanigans. Not that that's unique for Yugioh, but I may be hamming up my reaction here because of how silly the whole thing was when I pulled it off.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How is a library a creature anyway?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

RatHat posted:

by being Royal and Magical. Labrynth Wall is a monster as well.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's like the Library from the Pagemaster, but without Macaulay Culkin.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Slur posted:

What was your deck?

Specifically? The majespecter deck I posted above, Speedroids and Supreme BLS. It felt the absolute worst with Supreme BLS since that deck is wonky as hell even without your opponent locking down your only play.

RatHat posted:

It's a magical library.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

RatHat posted:

It's not so much the library, as it is the librarians that appear in it's art.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dexie posted:

It's not so much the library, as it is the librarians that appear in it's art.

Give me my SimCity archetype Konami. :argh:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dammit half the Symphonic Warriors are OCG exclusives.

Lisandra_brave
May 26, 2013

It's the good half that are. No pendulums or sizerrs for you.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Fuckers. Why would they do that?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Dabir posted:

Fuckers. Why would they do that?

Japanese players got mad because TCG had so many exclusive cards in every set, so they started making OCG exclusives in each set as well. Which would have been fair, except Japan still gets tons of promos and special cards and packs that TCG doesn't get until way, way later, if at all.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Don't worry, we got first runs with NK, BA and UA, and are going to be getting first runs with Kozmo and Kaiju to compensate for the lack of good Symphonica.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Not to mention that it allowed for us to avoid No(r)den for over a year, and has prevented Cyber Dragon Infinity Spam (tm) from being a thing. We also lost out on ever getting to play Chronomaly Artifacts, which was a tier 1 Deck in Japan (We got Nebra Disk and some Xyz l for the deck like, a year and a half late.)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Cyber Chronomaly was way more fun then Chronomaly Artifacts.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Whats the ygo scene like in Japan? Neckbeard equivalents pounding cards in stores? Or is it younger children?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

lemonslol posted:

Whats the ygo scene like in Japan? Neckbeard equivalents pounding cards in stores? Or is it younger children?

Both, YGO compeittive has a childrens division as well as an adults division. The childrens division is for 12 and under and called the Dragon Duel League. They typically happen at B events but it has a place at the world tournament

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMsigQ0kfBo

I wish I could find the 2013 duel that was, you know, the actual replay and not a sped up replay with music dubbed over it. If only for the hilarity of two kids playing Dragon Rulers at each other.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

lemonslol posted:

You have a good mixed range, but it seems like they are, overall, less competitive in the "No fun, only serious card games" way. They are usually more willing to try to combine or innovate old decks. Notably, they have always had a thing for HEROs, and a HERO deck actually won 1st place at the Japanese World Championship Qualifier, and other varieties of HERO (HERO Infernities, Pendulum HEROs) also did very well. If helps that they have Stratos, though.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

In the TCG, HEROs have 3 Shadow Mist, 3 ROTA, 3 E-Call, 3 A Hero Lives, and 2 Summoner Monk.

They don't need Stratos.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dexie posted:

In the TCG, HEROs have 3 Shadow Mist, 3 ROTA, 3 E-Call, 3 A Hero Lives, and 2 Summoner Monk.

They don't need Stratos.

Accept no substitute! :argh:

Anyone got the deck-list on that pendulum heroes build? Never heard of that before.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

The problem with Stratos being banned isn't that HEROes lack searching, it's that it prevents them from using their Wind fusions without resorting to using Avian. Great Tornado, Divine Wind and Blast are all basically unplayable in TCG right now.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I get half mast whenever I see someone complain about Stratos being banned.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Xoidanor posted:

Accept no substitute! :argh:

Anyone got the deck-list on that pendulum heroes build? Never heard of that before.

Ooooh, I'd love this one too! That sounds fun as hell. Far more fun than the last time I tried using HEROes, at least, though as most people here know, that isn't really hard...

Also I don't get why Stratos is still banned.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Keep Stratos banned. Also ban SHArk and Castel. Also keep Lavalval Chained.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Hjalmar posted:

The problem with Stratos being banned isn't that HEROes lack searching, it's that it prevents them from using their Wind fusions without resorting to using Avian. Great Tornado, Divine Wind and Blast are all basically unplayable in TCG right now.

I have found that Reborn Tengu makes a good substitute. It's summonable by Summoner Monk, and gives you more material for Fusion when it leaves the field.

Senerio posted:

#UnchainMyBrotherLavalval

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Dexie posted:

#UnchainMyBrotherLavalval

Lavalval Chain is bad and I'm glad I don't have to maindeck soul drain in everything anymore.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Senerio posted:

Lavalval Chain is bad and I'm glad I don't have to maindeck soul drain in everything anymore.

Lisandra_brave
May 26, 2013

Senerio posted:

SHArk and Castel are good cards.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Ooooh, I'd love this one too! That sounds fun as hell. Far more fun than the last time I tried using HEROes, at least, though as most people here know, that isn't really hard...

Also I don't get why Stratos is still banned.

Well I tried, it kinda works but I feel like I'm on the wrong track. In practice, it's simply a mildly better variant of the standard-fare blazeman heroes that popped up last year. You still end up with no cards in your hand and every win feels unfair. Not really sure where to go from here, Stratos would probably be killer but yeah. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lisandra_brave
May 26, 2013

http://ygorganization.com/ocg-psyframe-field-spell/

We field spell now. Negation, summon response, instant synchro, both the synchro monsters are quick effects that remove themselves from field so you can use the other driver effects, this is some good poo poo.

• Locked thread