Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Magni posted:

11k average damage on it. :stonklol:

Just to drive that home, I'm at ~41k average damage on the riverboat of DOOM. I'm pretty sure a Co-op bot could do more than 11k average on that thing if you threw the poor thing into the random battle queue.

Its maximum is 30k damage in the St. Louis. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Magni posted:

11k average damage on it. :stonklol:

Just to drive that home, I'm at ~41k average damage on the riverboat of DOOM. I'm pretty sure a Co-op bot could do more than 11k average on that thing if you threw the poor thing into the random battle queue.

Easily. For all their flaws, at least the AI can click in front of boats.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Filthiest Alf posted:

It seems weird to judge a player's skill based on their win rate doesn't it? There's essentially nothing you can do on your own to win a match if your team decides it's going to lose in this game...
That is true, but it cuts both ways because sometimes the other team decides it is going to lose. The average skilled player should have 47% wins and 6% draws. A better metric is average damage. That guy has 11k average damage in almost 400 games. More than his winning percentage, that shows he's more of a liability than an asset to any team.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Sometimes you just have to force your team to win. On a different note, perhaps a great way to nerf the Cleveland is to make its citadel a thing you can actually loving hit. It's virtually impossible to hit unless dispersion works its black magic and puts the shell in the right spot. I'd have more luck aiming for the turrets and hoping for pens to knock them out.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I get one good shot off in one game, and paid for it with constant poo poo from then on. I'm in a Murmansk, and I nail a Phoenix with 4 citadels in a single shot, and then get another on the second salvo. He's down something like 18k health. He gets behind an island, and around the island are 2 Clevelands. I dodge for all I can, but there is no hiding from 2 of them.

Every game since has been terrible, capping things off was getting torped by a suicidal Minekaze that nailed me mid turn before a Cleveland could kill him. Think I'm done a few days.

I think the Aoba is pretty good, but I think the Cleveland is quite a ways ahead of it. With the way critical strikes and HE damage works right now, a Cleveland spamming HE will wreck the poo poo out of an Aoba. Plus those fuckers have a tiny citadel, I'm not sure I've hit one yet.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

CitizenKain posted:

I get one good shot off in one game, and paid for it with constant poo poo from then on. I'm in a Murmansk, and I nail a Phoenix with 4 citadels in a single shot, and then get another on the second salvo. He's down something like 18k health. He gets behind an island, and around the island are 2 Clevelands. I dodge for all I can, but there is no hiding from 2 of them.

Every game since has been terrible, capping things off was getting torped by a suicidal Minekaze that nailed me mid turn before a Cleveland could kill him. Think I'm done a few days.

I think the Aoba is pretty good, but I think the Cleveland is quite a ways ahead of it. With the way critical strikes and HE damage works right now, a Cleveland spamming HE will wreck the poo poo out of an Aoba. Plus those fuckers have a tiny citadel, I'm not sure I've hit one yet.

Cleveland citadels are indeed small, somebody posted a cool diagram of their layout earlier and it's like two rooms. Clevelands historically had a ridiculous complicated armour scheme but I don't know if that factors into the game at all.

I'm not sure I like this game anymore. The HE meta annoys me because I feel like skill matters a lot less than just having a quick reload and many guns.

I also can't afford to buy any ships now.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Is the Kongo much better than the Myogi? I'm debating using my free exp to skip the last 20k stretch of the Myogi, but frankly if the Kongo isn't much better I'd rather just save it. I feel like 1 more turret doesn't really matter if it's gonna be much the same as the Myogi (slow turret traverse, poor accuracy, terrible AA)

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Cleveland citadels are indeed small, somebody posted a cool diagram of their layout earlier and it's like two rooms. Clevelands historically had a ridiculous complicated armour scheme but I don't know if that factors into the game at all.

I'm not sure I like this game anymore. The HE meta annoys me because I feel like skill matters a lot less than just having a quick reload and many guns.

I also can't afford to buy any ships now.

It should be in the first post, the grind for silver is all that really counts in Wargaming brand games, the XP is super easy by comparison. You need a premium tier 8 to grind silver with, and run premium. I mean you CAN do it, but it would just be a horrid grind. You might make it to your first tier 10 without getting a tier 8 premium but it will take literally twice as long.

Also there are way too many people spending free XP on early tier stuff, you really need to save that poo poo so that you can buy essential components on the later tier ships.

The only exception would probably be spending the 20k on a Myogi to skip it, but that line is such a turd anyway with the worst tier 9 in the game. Also something new players don't know is that you are going to spend the majority of your playing time playing tier 8 and 9 ships, and you won't really play the tier 10's much at all unless you join a clan when clan wars is implemented.

Finally the best XP gathering strategy is to go down all the lines at once. Then you focus on getting your doubles every day and then just grind a little bit on things you want to hurry along, wargaming recognized that strategy from WOT and nerfed the poo poo out of it though, they better have a lot of x3 weekends dammit!!

I quit playing world of tanks and ended up with something like 1300 games played in my tier 8 premium money grinder, luckily it also happened to be one of the funnest tanks in the game, it's not worth playing unfun ships or tanks for any reason, just stick to lines that are guaranteed fun.

Washout fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 7, 2015

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Filthiest Alf posted:

It seems weird to judge a player's skill based on their win rate doesn't it? There's essentially nothing you can do on your own to win a match if your team decides it's going to lose in this game...

I'd cut him some slack if his other stats were any better, but uh...

Again, small sample size, but :wow:

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Razzled posted:

Is the Kongo much better than the Myogi? I'm debating using my free exp to skip the last 20k stretch of the Myogi, but frankly if the Kongo isn't much better I'd rather just save it. I feel like 1 more turret doesn't really matter if it's gonna be much the same as the Myogi (slow turret traverse, poor accuracy, terrible AA)

It's certainly 100% more burning love. :v:

Seriously though, the Kongo is one of the highlights of the ijn bb line.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

http://imgur.com/a/Wwe8h#12

So, apparently the Tirpitz will have torpedos. Give me torps on my New York now, tia.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Razzled posted:

The Kongo is a significant improvement over the Myogi, even when stock. You have another turret, the Kongo is capable of hitting things a bit better, and it feels more maneuverable. The downside is it has pretty much 0 AA in the stock hull, and people will actually shoot at you first since you are a threat, unlike the Myogi.

However, it is still a battleship, so you have slow turret traverse, poor accuracy, and the AA isn't impressive even on the 2nd hull. Pretty much all BBs are like this, the Myogi is a unique turd in the line, but nothing ever gets that much better.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Elmnt80 posted:

http://imgur.com/a/Wwe8h#12

So, apparently the Tirpitz will have torpedos. Give me torps on my New York now, tia.

Confirmed.

e: The Tirpitz was the last one left alive so those torps were definitely from him. They ran out of steam about 2 seconds after this screenshot.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Aug 7, 2015

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So I just started playing this today, haven't really touched Wargaming games in ages; used to be really into WoT.

This game strikes me as a slower, more methodical WoT. And I'm fine with that. Been giving the IJN Destroyers a try. Finally had a game where I topped the board.

Man, when things work out destroyers are fun as poo poo. Anyone got any advice?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

OSad posted:

... :v:

Small sample size, but still. Impressive nonetheless.

Hey, how do you see these per-ship stats? I can only see my overall stats.

Edit: Nevermind, its on the website. Lol, almost all my ships are 55-60% winrate except the Myogi which I have a 27% win rate with.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 7, 2015

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

^^^ my US BB stats are all great, but the 5/6 games I played in the arkansas are ruining my averages. :rolleyes: ^^^

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:
Got my first magizine kill on another Iowa today, but we lost afterwards and the exp wasn't great, for whoever asked me to post the results, it was only around 250k creds and 2k exp.

Shadiiw
Apr 22, 2010
Started this game yesterday and its a lot of fun. thinking about going down the US tree for Cruisers and CV. Is there any good tips for ships or ship lines to avoid? I mean as there is in WoT. Or is there even any ships that I would be stupid to miss out on? (I am also thinking about going something in the IJN line, any ships that are fun to use there?)

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Jesus loving christ some of the people in this game.

Just watched a Fubuki get into a stern chase with a Midway and refuse, point blank, to fire his guns at all. Just ineffectually throwing torps at it from long range with no hope of ever hitting.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Shadiiw posted:

Started this game yesterday and its a lot of fun. thinking about going down the US tree for Cruisers and CV. Is there any good tips for ships or ship lines to avoid? I mean as there is in WoT. Or is there even any ships that I would be stupid to miss out on? (I am also thinking about going something in the IJN line, any ships that are fun to use there?)

So far the IJN cruisers (except the T5 furutaka, gently caress that ship! :argh:) are all really good fun. IJN destroyers are also quite good fun but as has been discussed earlier, their longer range kindof lulls you into firing torps early so theyre easier to avoid - I'd love to be able to see my stats ship-by-ship instead of just my top three to compare the av performance between US and IJN destroyers.

Shadiiw
Apr 22, 2010

Zero Gravitas posted:

So far the IJN cruisers (except the T5 furutaka, gently caress that ship! :argh:) are all really good fun. IJN destroyers are also quite good fun but as has been discussed earlier, their longer range kindof lulls you into firing torps early so theyre easier to avoid - I'd love to be able to see my stats ship-by-ship instead of just my top three to compare the av performance between US and IJN destroyers.

Whats the main difference between the US and IJN cruisers?

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Shadiiw posted:

Whats the main difference between the US and IJN cruisers?

Up to T4, not too much difference. They both kind of play like oversized destroyers and have a good number of guns and traverse times. After T5 though they tend to diverge with the US favouring more guns with faster reload times spamming their opponents to death and IJN more accuracy at range (but slower reload times and less guns).

At the minute in my Aoba (T6) if I come across a Cleveland solo I turn around because those things can spam me to death in the time I can get four salvos off.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Also the St Louis is the best as stated in the OP.

Shadiiw
Apr 22, 2010
Sounds good and thanks for the help! I think i will go IJN cruisers too.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
speaking of the cleaveland, should you be trying to land shells through the deck instead of the waterline when using AP because of its high firing arc?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

yaay posted:

speaking of the cleaveland, should you be trying to land shells through the deck instead of the waterline when using AP because of its high firing arc?

Yes. Shells that plunge and hit side armor will almost always bounce, while a plunging shot onto the deck is more likely to penetrate than if it were going through the side armor, assuming its a heavily armored ship. You're not likely to citadel, though, since the penetrating power on the Clevelands guns isn't terribly high. And ships with a lot of superstructure up top can thwart plunging fire. I mean, give it a try if you want, but HE is likely superior at all ranges but close, and then, only against targets you know you can citadel when you pen. AP is a damage gamble, sometimes you hit it big, sometimes you go away empty handed. HE is a lot more consistent, but the damage drops off a little once you've crit a bunch of modules and aren't getting all that bonus damage.

Edit: Speaking of which, a great way to nerf HE is to simply reduce how much damage ships take from module damage. You can kill ships by soaking the top of it with HE, rather than trying to get AP into the important sections underneath, which kinda sucks. Instead, reduce the amount of damage ships take when modules are crit, and increase the amount of damage AP does to make it more desirable. Perhaps increasing shell normalization would be good too (I don't care if its not realistic), so crossing the T against somebody shooting AP is much less advantageous, or at least increase the penetration of shells that are passing through superstructure, so you can shoot somebody in the front and have the shell drop into the midsection of the ship and potentially citadel (or hit some turrets/magazines on the way). Giving overpens near the waterline a chance to inflict flooding would be interesting... but that might be way too much. Limit it only to BBs? Sounds good.

Also, if a ship is lit on fire, reduce the chance they can be lit on fire again by however much HP was lost to that fire. Perhaps have a break point with fire damage, where after a ship has taken X% of its HP in fire damage, the chance to catch on fire is reduced dramatically (and of course reversed if the ship repairs some of the fire damage HP).

Also, remove CVs. Oh god im doing it again

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Aug 7, 2015

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
How the hell can you guys actually make your long range shots do what you want besides "hit enemy". I see talk about arcing shots hitting the waterline or deck and for me anything past 4K if I even hit it's a God-damned miracle.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
NA server has 2x xp for the first win until Monday morning.

Zero Gravitas posted:

You can see your stats ship-by-ship on the website. Log in and view your profile statistics. Click the 'Warships' tab on the right then scroll to 'Detailed Warship Statistics' at the bottom. Click to expand shiptypes then click a ship.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

LegoMan posted:

How the hell can you guys actually make your long range shots do what you want besides "hit enemy". I see talk about arcing shots hitting the waterline or deck and for me anything past 4K if I even hit it's a God-damned miracle.

Its where you aim. Aim a little higher for plunging fire so your shots are more likely to land on the deck, and not splash in front of the target or bounce off the side armor. Its a miniscule change but it helps. Dispersion hurts this, but if you're spamming HE and want to spam plunging AP instead, its good to keep in mind. You only get plunging fire at the very extremes of your range, any closer and the angle is probably going to be too flat for a good pen chance. Swap to HE here, or AP if you're a big gambling BB and try for side armor pens.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Am I wrong to hate the South Carolina? The match is always over by the time I get anywhere, good loving god it's slow.

Every match, someone is all "CAP A" and when everyone listens and I'm following them, they've capped A and moved on to B before I even get halfway, so I turn toward B, but then that spot is capped and they're cruising on to C while I'm just sitting there all :wtf:

Had a match yesterday where this was happening and my team was getting slaughtered at B while my SC was puttering it's way toward B at 20 knots (top speed), then pubbies are yelling "Hurry the gently caress up, WW, christ!" and my "This is the top speed for this ship, guys." remarks are ignored and people just spend the match swearing in chat about the ship being useless.

Also, no AA on the ship, so any match with a carrier on the enemy team results in me being sunk in short order after being spotted.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

LegoMan posted:

Certainely in a BB it's a moot point, but in something like a fully upgraded Clevland its possible provided your target is sailing in a straight line

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Hazdoc posted:

Edit: Speaking of which, a great way to nerf HE is to simply reduce how much damage ships take from module damage. You can kill ships by soaking the top of it with HE, rather than trying to get AP into the important sections underneath, which kinda sucks. Instead, reduce the amount of damage ships take when modules are crit, and increase the amount of damage AP does to make it more desirable. Perhaps increasing shell normalization would be good too (I don't care if its not realistic), so crossing the T against somebody shooting AP is much less advantageous, or at least increase the penetration of shells that are passing through superstructure, so you can shoot somebody in the front and have the shell drop into the midsection of the ship and potentially citadel (or hit some turrets/magazines on the way). Giving overpens near the waterline a chance to inflict flooding would be interesting... but that might be way too much. Limit it only to BBs? Sounds good.

Also, if a ship is lit on fire, reduce the chance they can be lit on fire again by however much HP was lost to that fire. Perhaps have a break point with fire damage, where after a ship has taken X% of its HP in fire damage, the chance to catch on fire is reduced dramatically (and of course reversed if the ship repairs some of the fire damage HP).

Also, remove CVs. Oh god im doing it again

They changed firing AP head-on once already, it's not as bad as it was. You used to get no chance of penetration, whereas now you can citadel someone when you cross their T but it's such a small target that you rarely get the hits. They ought to tweak the normalisation a bit anyway though; apparently there's a ratio of shell calibre to armour thickness where ricochets don't happen, but it's set at 20:1 so you need 16" guns to not ricochet from 20mm of armour. Underwater penetration was added in the last CBT patch and had a chance of causing flooding, but they removed the flooding with OBT for some reason.

I do think HE does too much damage now, but if you lower the damage taken from module crits then you don't need to nerf fire as well.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Hmm, then again, if they do nerf HE and people start defaulting to AP again, I'm afraid people will realize that AP isn't actually terrible against DDs (it does more damage and if you're a CA, its not actually that likely to overpen if you hit center mass).

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

From a DD perspective I don't care what they do as long as they fix engines breaking on every single hit! :argh:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Scikar posted:

From a DD perspective I don't care what they do as long as they fix engines breaking on every single hit! :argh:
From every single hit? They don't even need to hit to disable the engines on a DD! :v:

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Scikar posted:

I do think HE does too much damage now, but if you lower the damage taken from module crits then you don't need to nerf fire as well.

Speaking of module crit, would the lvl5 captain skill that reduce chance of that be a huge boost in BB survivabiliy considering how many weak AA guns they have ?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Had a white knuckle game in my Farragut this morning. Didn't get close enough to anyone to torpedo them, but landed something like 150 shell hits from my little tugboat, Probably 100 of them pelted at a Fuso trying to capture B. Disrupted his cap efforts so bad he just gave up and sailed away to avoid getting torped. Later I had barely any HP left so I decided I was going to be really cautious and just back cap points to avoid getting sunk.

This Kuma was attacking our carrier and a Cruiser with a pixel of health. By the time I got closer he finished off both ships, he had about a tenth of his health left, and we both got in a desperate gun duel. He finally sank me but my last shot put him on fire. He must have popped his damage control because he survived with freaking 15hp. Ended up losing but it was pretty exciting making the most out of my guns. That and disrupting enemy cap attempts 123 times :D

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Krogort posted:

Speaking of module crit, would the lvl5 captain skill that reduce chance of that be a huge boost in BB survivabiliy considering how many weak AA guns they have ?

It only lowers the chance they'll get disabled, not destroyed. Having guns permanently knocked out seems to be a bigger problem.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Krogort posted:

Hmm, I'm not sure how the skill interacts with AA and secondary batteries. Those usually take damage and then are destroyed, they don't normally crit like other stuff. If the skill gives them a chance to avoid getting damaged, then its a lot better than I thought. But this is WG, so maybe it just magically does nothing. Who knows. There's no way to know when the skill is working, which is a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

To the guy who was wondering about IJN cruisers earlier: