Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

After trying and failing to replicate a glitch in Super Mario 64, a speedrunner is offering $1000 to anyone who can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNzTUdOHm9A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Posted on the last page.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Dewgy posted:

The Genesis always just keepin' on keepin' on, even when you yank the cart halfway out, is never not funny to me.

I still can't tell if it's a glitch or intentional, but if you get to Altered Beast's title screen, pull the cartridge out without turning off the system, put in Strider, then hit reset, boom, you have infinite lives in Strider.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Pneub posted:

I still can't tell if it's a glitch or intentional, but if you get to Altered Beast's title screen, pull the cartridge out without turning off the system, put in Strider, then hit reset, boom, you have infinite lives in Strider.

It has to do with the genesis not clearing RAM values between carts, since you don't initialize the system. The same way that X-Men has you press the reset switch on the console to progress.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

synthetik posted:

It has to do with the genesis not clearing RAM values between carts, since you don't initialize the system. The same way that X-Men has you press the reset switch on the console to progress.

This was also how Banjo Kazooie's Stop n Swop was going to work, until Nintendo said "no, it's not supposed to do that, you can't build a feature around a hardware bug".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They also found that it would only work on certain models of N64 anyway, IIRC.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

haveblue posted:

They also found that it would only work on certain models of N64 anyway, IIRC.

From what I remember it wasn't that different models of N64 behaved differently, it was any N64 that had an expansion pak installed that made it not work. While it increased the memory the console had, it also made the RAM reset much quicker than the default N64. Without the expansion pak the user would have had a good while to switch carts, while with it they had to do it real fast or it'd fail. Not really something you could build a feature around.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I remember when I was a kid and really frustrated by a tough and inscrutable game called Asylum on the C64 (:corsair:). At one point I chose to load a nonexistent save file and removed the disk from the drive mid-load. The game "loaded" me into the start room with a bunch of great items, including keys you wouldn't normally find until much later (if you were lucky enough to find them at all). It also dumped a handful of event messages onto the screen, so I guess a fair number of flags were set somewhere along the way.

From then on, I never started the game the normal way...but I still didn't beat it for another twenty years.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Slime posted:

From what I remember it wasn't that different models of N64 behaved differently, it was any N64 that had an expansion pak installed that made it not work. While it increased the memory the console had, it also made the RAM reset much quicker than the default N64. Without the expansion pak the user would have had a good while to switch carts, while with it they had to do it real fast or it'd fail. Not really something you could build a feature around.

Both of them are true. Newer N64s used much higher quality RDRAM, which reset much quicker.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Yeah, the issue was that when BK came out the N64 took about 30 seconds to clear out the part of its memory Stop n Swop was planning on using, whereas once BT came out the new models were doing it in about a tenth of that.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Pneub posted:

Sonic 3D Blast "cheat code":

There's a video of this bug somewhere on youtube that I've been trying to find for ages. It's just a static shot of a Genesis and a TV and a dude walks in and backhands the cart, the glitch triggers, he gives the camera a thumbs up and walks off. If anyone knows where to find it I'd be grateful.

Pneub posted:

This also works with main three Sonic games and their stage select/debug codes. Once debug's on you can hotswap any other in and it'll be active there too.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

bucketmouse posted:

This also works with main three Sonic games and their stage select/debug codes. Once debug's on you can hotswap any other in and it'll be active there too.
I really miss all the weird poo poo that came from relentlessly optimized code and naive memory access. TRCs may have given us more stable games, but they've also given us much more boring ones.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I dunno, some triple A games nowadays have some pretty ridiculous OOB glitches and stuff. I saw the speedrun of Bioshock Infinite from SGDQ and it wasn't much different from your average N64 game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bloodborne had a memory glitch where if you left the game running for over 12 hours or so, bosses became incapable of choosing an attack and so they would just repeatedly do the same thing over and over again, making them trivial to predict. Evidently the game would slowly memory leak if you just left it sitting for hours. It was patched out but it's an example that modern games are definitely not free from tech related glitches.

Not that you could use that specific one for a speedrun though, and you're a sad baby who is bad if you ever had to use that earnestly; real gamers beat their faces against the cursed watchdog for three hours, and also don't have jobs.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Chamale posted:

After trying and failing to replicate a glitch in Super Mario 64, a speedrunner is offering $1000 to anyone who can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNzTUdOHm9A

It's probably going to turn out that you have to hit the back edge of that tilting platform at a certain spot, velocity and angle, making it entirely pointless to reproduce, isn't it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The comments section of that video is great because the uploader clowns some people super hard which is impressive for what the video is about :

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cheez posted:

It's probably going to turn out that you have to hit the back edge of that tilting platform at a certain spot, velocity and angle, making it entirely pointless to reproduce, isn't it.

Not for tool-assisted speedrunners who would be able to use it consistently.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Who What Now posted:

Not for tool-assisted speedrunners who would be able to use it consistently.

Tool-assisted speedrunners have already broken the game hard enough that this specific glitch is totally unnecessary.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

A pony avatar talking about his girlfriend belongs in the STDH thread.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The White Dragon posted:

I think the "so I can go see my girlfriend" is implying that he's talking about an internet relationship, so I totally believe that a brony would stoop to that level.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

TheRagamuffin posted:

Tool-assisted speedrunners have already broken the game hard enough that this specific glitch is totally unnecessary.

Not true, that specific glitch would help to break things even further.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The funny bit is I bet he'll make up most of the bounty from youtube views.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

TheRagamuffin posted:

He explains in the video that this is a super valuable type of glitch that can only be done in a handful of places to speed up TAS times. If it could be done here, it would mean a consistent way to quickly climb the clock for several different stars and make it very easy to cut times for TAS runs. Even if it doesn't amount to an overall new WR, having the information for the glitch could mean it is possible to replicate elsewhere, once they understand the glitch better.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I assume it's useful for tas 100% completion runs. The current world record for any completion skips all levels by running rear end first into a wall so hard they get violently thrown into the bowser stage

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
I don't know it's a glitch or just the joy of radiant AI, but I was playing Skyrim today and was on the quest to steal Maven's horse. I took it to Louis and got the money and then decided to try and kill him and steal the horse for myself. Turns out he was till plot necessary so I couldn't kill him, but when he recovered and attacked me again the horse started attacking him. After watching them fight for a while I decided that I'd try a different response to get the money and the horse and reloaded a save.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Elohssa Gib posted:

I don't know it's a glitch or just the joy of radiant AI, but I was playing Skyrim today and was on the quest to steal Maven's horse. I took it to Louis and got the money and then decided to try and kill him and steal the horse for myself. Turns out he was till plot necessary so I couldn't kill him, but when he recovered and attacked me again the horse started attacking him. After watching them fight for a while I decided that I'd try a different response to get the money and the horse and reloaded a save.

Louis is the source of many wonderful glitches. My favorite is still the way he infinitely clones himself outside Whiterun. :)

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

The White Dragon posted:

Stuntman posted:

I think the "so I can go see my girlfriend" is implying that he's talking about an internet relationship, so I totally believe that a brony would stoop to that level.

Check the name - HER girlfriend. It's even more stdh. Or perhaps fishing for Internet benefactors.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Elfface posted:

Check the name - HER girlfriend. It's even more stdh. Or perhaps fishing for Internet benefactors.

Jenny Wakeman is a fictional cartoon character, like Youtube usernames tend to be.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

rodbeard posted:

I assume it's useful for tas 100% completion runs. The current world record for any completion skips all levels by running rear end first into a wall so hard they get violently thrown into the bowser stage

Ahhh, I didn't think about that.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhNyDrVcLwg

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

What did you do to that poor horse :ohdear:

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Fathis Munk posted:

What did you do to that poor horse :ohdear:

What? It's a quarter-horse.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

TheRagamuffin posted:

But that's the "point" of speedrunning. That glitch will shave between 5 and 45 seconds off a run, depending on how specifically they use it. That's entirely worth trying to replicate, for a speedrunner.

rodbeard posted:

To be fair, the current any% non-TAS route can replicate the 0-star skip, as seen in the SGDQ race a few days ago. But it's not consistent. And if you haven't had the privilege of seeing a backwards long-jump in Mario 64, here's the current(??) non-TAS world record at around 6 minutes. Glitches ahead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk1w3hcQT7g

Zombies magazine has a new favorite as of 15:23 on Aug 8, 2015

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

West Ham Sandwich posted:

But that's the "point" of speedrunning. That glitch will shave between 5 and 45 seconds off a run, depending on how specifically they use it. That's entirely worth trying to replicate, for a speedrunner.

Something to keep in mind with this, too, is that while this particular exhibition of the glitch might only be useful for 100% runs at best, if the conditions of the glitch are such that it can be pulled off in other places then it could be massively useful. Any% runs still have to do the Bowser stages, which are pretty heavily vertical. Being able to replicate this warp in those stages could do wonders for shaving off what's currently the bottleneck.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

West Ham Sandwich posted:

To be fair, the current any% non-TAS route can replicate the 0-star skip, as seen in the SGDQ race a few days ago. But it's not consistent. And if you haven't had the privilege of seeing a backwards long-jump in Mario 64, here's the current(??) non-TAS world record at around 6 minutes. Glitches ahead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk1w3hcQT7g

This run is fun to watch, you can see his nervousness at the end, when he pauses to line up a jump, misses the jump onto the pipe platform, and doesn't enter the pipe as smoothly as the previous ones.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

Something to keep in mind with this, too, is that while this particular exhibition of the glitch might only be useful for 100% runs at best, if the conditions of the glitch are such that it can be pulled off in other places then it could be massively useful. Any% runs still have to do the Bowser stages, which are pretty heavily vertical. Being able to replicate this warp in those stages could do wonders for shaving off what's currently the bottleneck.

It's designed for the A Button Challenge, where pannenkoek wants to beat the entirety of Super Mario 64 by pressing the A button zero times. He currently has the count down to 27 A button presses, of which 17 of those are unique.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Pneub posted:

What? It's a quarter-horse.
:master:

Well done.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Fallout 3 is a game for babbies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc_Ws3ZwyhQ&t=410s

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

So dying on the overworld 52 times in FF6 is the key to making the game give up http://tasvideos.org/4790S.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCk5lf3c3Fs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

oh jesus christ this is absolutely incredible.