Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

CuddlyZombie posted:

Someone do an LP

Don't worry, it looks like YouTube has you covered: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii46WRQfKtU

Ramza grew a hipster beard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Levantine posted:

It looks really silly but the custom spritework is actually kind of impressive.

Yeah I watched the intro bit and the sprites seemed quite good. The mechanics could be fun. The story... :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am anticipating Final Fantasy XV: Noctis Sleeps

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
Final Fantasy thread help me out here

Should I play FF8

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I will probably play FFXV when it's released on steam and will reserve my judgment until then.

Even if it's got a dumb story it'll be at least okay if the characters are interesting and are allowed to be so, which was one of 13's problems.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

General Morden posted:

Should I play FF8

If you're curious about it, sure. It's not the best FF by any means but it's not so bad that you shouldn't see it for yourself and there are several cool things about it such as Triple Triad, Laguna and the soundtrack. I hear the Steam version has crummy audio though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

General Morden posted:

Should I play FF8

If you have a few dollars to spare, why not.

It's my least favorite FF by a considerable margin but it has its good parts.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

General Morden posted:

Should I play FF8

Yeah, it's good, contrary to popular belief.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

General Morden posted:

Should I play FF8

Do it.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

General Morden posted:

Should I play FF8

Play it, it's pretty good.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
FF8 is awesome cause instead of waiting till the end game to get kotr or Ultima, you can be OP like an hour into the game and laugh your way through random battles as you go to your next triple triad opponent. Who will just make you even more op.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

On the other hand I hate playing cards and hate FF8.

Everyone should still play it once though.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

If you do not like Triple Triad you're a horrible personyou can skip it entirely and just play the game. It's fine without it you just wont be able to snap the game in two so easily.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

On the other hand I hate playing cards and hate FF8.

Everyone should still play it once though.

Same here, but I still think there's cool stuff to see in FF8. I'll never play it again, but I also think it's got some of the strangest art design in the series and that's something worth checking out.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

In Training posted:

Same here, but I still think there's cool stuff to see in FF8. I'll never play it again, but I also think it's got some of the strangest art design in the series and that's something worth checking out.

It had strange art designs? Character wise it was fairly bland, like somebody kept having to tell Nomura "please remove all belts and zippers from the character faces."

I feel like i'm forgetting some hosed up monster designs and areas.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's just not cohesive in the slightest, not the character designs so much as the locations.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Schwartzcough posted:

Don't worry, it looks like YouTube has you covered: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii46WRQfKtU

Ramza grew a hipster beard.

Oh this is just fantastic. :allears:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Optimistic news I guess, but Tabata put more info out there:

-If you factor out bug testing and localization, FF15 would be out much sooner as to reinforce how far the game really is.
-He's been talking with the Just Cause team on their air control physics, possibly wanting to add that for airship control.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Two things FF8 is really really exceptionally good at:
Music
Monsters

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tempo 119 posted:

Music
Monsters

Some nice looking (for the time) CGI bits.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
The overall aesthetic of 8 is good. I like the nice, tall detailed character models. The sci fi era technology is cool. It's a good game.

There was a time no one knew how to play the game because we didn't have the internet and strategy guides are poo poo. I ended up beating the game at level 100. It's a lot more fun if you play it traditionally and don't try to break it. Things remain challenging all the way to the end.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tempo 119 posted:

Music
Monsters

I dunno, I think of the PSX FFs, VII stands above the rest in terms of monster designs. There were just so many goddam weird ones.

On the other hand

Hockey-playing monsters and my favorite Ultima Weapon do make FFVIII a contender.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

FF7's monsters are good for weirdness but sadly let down by the technology of the day. That game has aged well in some ways (especially if you mod it) but there's basically nothing you can do to stop Jenova looking like a statue made of barf.

FF8's monsters are cool and striking and pretty, and so elegant in concept!

Slapper - "a hockey man"
Forbidden - "a badass skeleton"
Diablos - "a satan"

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I want to punch Anacondaur in the face repeatedly.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Are FFIX's monsters good? I honestly can't remember. I just started my Insane Difficulty run (I know it's not for everyone but it's the only way I'm going to be motivated to play through the game) and I'm up to Dali but that hasn't given me a good look at enemy designs. Just seen some squirrels and goblins and snakes.

I do recall what FFIX Behemoths look like. I remember because all versions of Behemoth look disappointing to me after FFX's. I love FFX Behemoths.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

NikkolasKing posted:

Are FFIX's monsters good? I honestly can't remember. I just started my Insane Difficulty run (I know it's not for everyone but it's the only way I'm going to be motivated to play through the game) and I'm up to Dali but that hasn't given me a good look at enemy designs. Just seen some squirrels and goblins and snakes.

I do recall what FFIX Behemoths look like. I remember because all versions of Behemoth look disappointing to me after FFX's. I love FFX Behemoths.

IX is a weird cross section of adorable fluffballs and old school D&D enemies in the manner of the early games in the series. Compare a Yan to an Abaddon. They all definitely fit the style of the game, and it's pretty rare that you'll encounter the cute in any proximity to the awesome and weird, and overall I would say that the designs are pretty solid.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

FFIX had cool yetis

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

FF9 is kind of overcooked, like, "now we've figured out textures and transparency, we should put frilly clothes and feathers on absolutely everything". It does have a penis monster though, and it dies if you throw a Soft at it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Tempo 119 posted:

FF7's monsters are good for weirdness but sadly let down by the technology of the day. That game has aged well in some ways (especially if you mod it) but there's basically nothing you can do to stop Jenova looking like a statue made of barf.

FF8's monsters are cool and striking and pretty, and so elegant in concept!

Slapper - "a hockey man"
Forbidden - "a badass skeleton"
Diablos - "a satan"

Neither is match to Shadow Hearts with its many classics like "Giant hand covered in bloodshot eyes", "Upside down man with handgun and triple conjoined heads", "Dog with a mouth-arm", "Dead women fused on a giant tooth vagina" and "Flayed Seraph-Jesus".

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

they look like the average Silent Hill enemy to me

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So I wanted to do the free trial for FFXIV, but when I sign onto my PS4 it already has my ID loaded. Problem is none of my usual passwords are working. So I just went and created another SE Account, but it doesn't let you change the ID when you log in. I realize that I was let into the beta way back when, so it must be linked to my PSN ID, but lord help me if I can remember the password or the security questions. Is there any way to unlink my PSN from the SE account or can I literally never play FFXIV on my PS4?

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I've wanted to try to 100% FFX-2 because I'm nuts. I unlocked the Farplane Cup and set some pretty good monsters in there to try to fight Trema, just to see what I can expect at the end of Via Infinito.

FFX-2 can take it's best ending and shove it.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I got the FFX / 2 Remaster on PS4, and played them on PS2 way back. How badly can I screw my playthrough with the expert Sphere Grid?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

SonicRulez posted:

So I wanted to do the free trial for FFXIV, but when I sign onto my PS4 it already has my ID loaded. Problem is none of my usual passwords are working. So I just went and created another SE Account, but it doesn't let you change the ID when you log in. I realize that I was let into the beta way back when, so it must be linked to my PSN ID, but lord help me if I can remember the password or the security questions. Is there any way to unlink my PSN from the SE account or can I literally never play FFXIV on my PS4?

If you're doing it on your console it has to be done from PSN ID. Just bite the bullet and contact S-E to get it resolved.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Seedge posted:

I got the FFX / 2 Remaster on PS4, and played them on PS2 way back. How badly can I screw my playthrough with the expert Sphere Grid?

I think it's something like 60-70 nodes smaller than the Standard grid, much easier to branch out and build your dudes how you want and you should still have plenty of room for max stats if you want to do that.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So how hard is it to collect the FFIX ultimate weapons? Will I need a guide? I'd rather not if it can be avoided. Guides kind of ruin a lot of the fun of exploring in RPGs and being as this is the first time I've played FFIX while doing a lot of side stuff, I want to keep the "surprise factor" ya know?

I know about Excalibur II of course. Normally, that wouldn't happen. Although the mod I'm playing has it as a drop for Ozma.
And I think Quina's best Fork comes from getting all the frogs and beating Quale?
I think you get Zidane's from Chocobo Hot 'n' Cold? That's the only side thing I ever did.

But yeah, those second two seem simple enough. How about the rest? Will a FAQ be necessary?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I will probably play FFXV when it's released on steam and will reserve my judgment until then.

Even if it's got a dumb story it'll be at least okay if the characters are interesting and are allowed to be so, which was one of 13's problems.

I'm sort of the same way with all RPGs nowadays. For me having a good or bad story is kinda :shrug: but having relatable, fun, or otherwise interesting characters is vital to me giving a poo poo about the game, usually.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

I'm sort of the same way with all RPGs nowadays. For me having a good or bad story is kinda :shrug: but having relatable, fun, or otherwise interesting characters is vital to me giving a poo poo about the game, usually.

Definitely. Even though Tales games, for example, usually have pretty dumb plots (lookin' at you, Vesperia) the skits and party interactions are usually more than enough to make up for it, in my opinion.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I can't think of a single good game with a good story but bad characters I enjoyed, unless it had amazing all-time gameplay. Having a good story is severely overrated compared to having good characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I think it's kinda silly to make a super strict divide between the two