Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
:siren:1051 Arena test league - Round 1, Fight 1:siren:

Hello and welcome back to the great arena! The floor has been swept, the blood screens errected and weapons forged.

Sadly, there has been an issue with the new camera equipment, so footage from this fight has been lost [Stupid loving irfanview]. The arena intern has found stand-in images.

For this grand re-christening, please welcome Holey Moley a molemarian managed by Anchors. Holey Moley wears only an adamantine mail shirt and carries no weapon. Anchors has previously managed arena champion Dr Stranglelove, and will hope to repeat this success.

Hoping for an upset is Bob the Blocker a strangler managed by Maarak. Bob the Blocker carries four heavy copper shields and is well protected by a steel mail shirt, steel helm and steel gauntlets.

This could be a long one, folks.

The fight begins. The fighters clash in the centre and we see how this fight is going to go. Bob pounds his shields into Holey Moley's soft flabby mole body, bruising flesh, even through the shiny blue shirt.
Holey Moley's initial strikes are blocked by the one-strangler phalanx that is Bob

Holey Moley gives up on punching and switches to wrestling, going for grips and throws and then bites with some success. Strangler blood hits the arena as Bob's leg is ruined by Holey Moley's teeth. Nerves and arteries are torn and Bob falls to the floor.

This fight looks like it might finish sooner than expected.

Bob doesn't seem phased and he continues to pound his shields into Holey Moley. Holey Moley becomes enraged and attachs the strangler with renewed ferocity, trying to rip the shields out of Bob's hands. Strangler strength prevents Bob from being disarmed.

The fight continues as a bash fest. Bob's shields can do little more than bruise, and Holey Moley can only do superficial damage through his lack of weapons and Bob's formidable defenses. Blood is spilled, but Bob's severed leg remains the only real injury.

Eventually, Bob starts to gain some ground. Holey Moley's heart is bruised, his eye crushed and hios teeth start to fly, but without pain receptors, the mole just keeps on pummeling.

The injuries are piling up. While Holey Moley looks to have taken the worst of it, he has only been bruised. The Mole remains fully functional (if half-blind) whereas Bob's leg injury is causing him some real problems.
Both fighters are now feeling the effects of over-exertion. Blows are coming in slower and slower, and Holey Moley is starting to falter on his feet.

quote:

Strangler 1 scratches Molemarian 1 in the right ear and the severed part sails off in an arc!

In a final effort, Bob manages to claw Holey Moley's ear off and deals some more substantial damage with his teeth and claws, but it is too little too late.

Holey Moley bites Bob in the head, finding purchase through his helm, and shaked the strangler hard. More arteries are torn and Bob finally runs out of blood.

A still enraged Molemarian stands over his diminutive foe, victorious. Holey Moley advances to round 2!

Now who's getting him out of there?

Combat log

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuubi
Jan 18, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Whoa, deja vu...

Seems my fighter ended up in the last fight of the first round, just like in the last tournament... :argh:

Just my luck I guess~ :sweatdrop:

Edit: aand here's another excellent example of my luck. Great fight by the way!

Fuubi fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Aug 6, 2015

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
As a complete rookie, I read this

Bene Elim posted:

Holey Moley wears only an adamantine mail shirt and carries no weapon.

Bob the Blocker carries four heavy copper shields and is well protected by a steel mail shirt, steel helm and steel gauntlets.

and realised I probably spent too many points on skills and nowhere near enough points on equipment...

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Splode posted:

As a complete rookie, I read this

and realised I probably spent too many points on skills and nowhere near enough points on equipment...

No, I am sure you are set. The first round is a total crapshoot.

Well done with replacement images, Bene! Next fight in an hour or so.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If Bob had gone for a weapon which was less strength dependent for damage, he might have had a chance.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Spermy Smurf posted:

No, I am sure you are set. The first round is a total crapshoot.

Well done with replacement images, Bene! Next fight in an hour or so.
I've already run it! Is it too late for you to do fight 3?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

SynthOrange posted:

If Bob had gone for a weapon which was less strength dependent for damage, he might have had a chance.

Stranglers are really good for strength based weapons, actually. They're not quite in the same league with minotars&co, but are on par with tigermen. They're stronger than serpentmen, and I think you all remember what serpentmen can do with a hammer.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

:siren:1051 Arena Test League - Round 1 Fight 2:siren:

With the previous cameraman fed to an adamantine plated aligator and our visual errors fixed, we continue the tournament!

On the left we have Icipation the Soldier Ant Woman managed by Pun Pundit. She comes equiped with a silver war hammer and three wooden shields.

On the right stands Timmy the Kobold, managed by Astus. Timmy wields a steel battle axe and wears opnly a steel helm.

Gong sounds, gladiators surge, weapons swing. Timmy is unsurprisingly blocked, but Icipation hits home, shattering Timmy's ribs. The blow doesn't slow the Kobold down and the fighters continue to trade and deflect blows.

Timmy finds a way past Icipation's shields and severs an arm! One shield falls and ichor splatters on the ground. Icipation masters her horror and continues swinging

quote:

Gruesome wounds! I must not succumb to fear!

After another flurry of blows, another limb flies! This time a leg, formerly of Icipation. The Antwoman falls and the fight starts to seem done.

Tell that to Icipation. A vicious hammer swing sends Timmy's femur through his pelvis. Timmy falls to the floor and into unconsciousness.

Rather than going for the head, Icipation takes her hammer to Timmy's guts. It takes some doing, but she eventually cuts him in half with blunt force trauma.

Icipation advances to Round 2!

Combat Log

Bene Elim fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Aug 6, 2015

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

I'm just betting on whatever name seems more punny.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
We gonna fly through this drat tournament. I think we're all just excited for the mega-huge NFL style 200 team tournament or whatever it is.

Bene's fight will be posted in a 5 hours or so; gotta space it all out a bit!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Spermy Smurf posted:

gotta space it all out a bit!

No you don't. :colbert:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

my dad posted:

No you don't. :colbert:

:agreed:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
The people have spoken.

:siren: Round 1, Fight 3:siren:

Ricky Martin Tribute Band is a male Tigerman fighter managed by The Mattybee. Looking at his light armor, iron halbard, and weapon skill I suddenly realize my fighter is woefully underprepared. He begins on the left and looks like a drat tiger.

Strangler things have happened is a female Strangler fighter managed by Bene Elim. A steel sword is the only item she brought to the arena. She begins on the right and does not look like a tiger.

First blood is immediate, no blocks, no parrying, no dodging. Just Ricky Martins halbard slashing the Stranglers hand wide open. Nerves are severed, tendons, arteries, the whole package is chopped to poo poo.

Strangler things shows his sneakiness here. Getting stabbed in the hand was a ruse to lure the giant tigerman close enough to stab. A devastating slash across the upper chest cleaves into the tigermans chest. A followup slash removes Ricky Martin's right arm at the elbow!

But wait! Ricky Martin shrugs off the pain and slams into the smaller strangler, sending him to the floor stunned!

The Tigerman bites the prone strangler in the right arm, tearing nerves and tendons. If only Ricky Martin could injure another hand, maybe the strangler would drop his weapon. The tigerman thrashes the tiny strangler around in his mouth: Bones are dented, arteries are opened, nerves and tendons are further shredded.
Ricky Martin lets go of the right arm and latches on to the top-left arm with his mouth and shreds arteries and tendons in that arm! The strangler only has 2 arms left to the Tigermans 1.5.

Ricky Martin, the tiger, charges the strangler again and follows up by stabbing the strangler in the left-upper arm again which sends the arm flying! Another stab to the left-lower arm only tears apart fat. Strangler things finally shakes off the cobwebs and strikes back, sending the tigers left hand flying through the air. The tigers iron halbard lands with a clang on the floor.

There is a lot of charging, a lot of flailing, but nothing much happens for a few minutes since the tigerman has no hands left.

Even stunned the Strangler manages to chop into Ricky Martins left foot. Down goes Ricky Martin.

Ricky Martins neck is sliced wide open by the stranglers steel sword.

And that'll do it.

Winner: Strangler things have happened in a very close match!

Combat Log

Edit: As the only person who bet on the tigerman: gently caress you, Bene.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Strangler things have happened, indeed.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

:siren:Arena Test League - Round 1 Fight 4:siren:

It's wall to wall action on day 1 of the new tournament and the blood keeps flowing with another sssssmashing fight!

Please welcome Bitey McBiterson the Third the Serpent Man to the arena. Bitey brings an Iron spear, copper shield (?) and a crunchy copper shell. He is managed by Galick.

And on the far side, his opponent Citizen Pain the Tigerman managed by Locomotive Breath. The Citizen plans to bring the pain with his copper maul, and stay safe behind a suit of iron armour.

As always, both come screaming out of the gate to meet in the centre. Pain brings the hammer down to strike the first blow, and It's a good one. Bitey's right arm is there one minute and gone the next as the tiger man's maul obliterates it. Luckily the snake is left handed and he keeps hold of his spear.

A quick dodge around and a quick spear strike from Bitey is followed up with a bite aimed at Pain's eye! Somehow he manages to flinch back just enough for the serpent's teeth to glance away. That could have been a game ending strike!

Snapped to a new level of focus, Pain charges Bitey and bowls the snake over. Bitey tries to get a saving stab out, but it glances off Pain's armour as he brings the hammer down once more.

The giant copper maul cracks Bitey's ribs through his mail and jams several ribs through his lungs. Bitey gives in to pain, and one final blow from Citizen Pain pulps Bitey's head.

Citizen Pain crushes the McBiterson legacy and advances to the second round!

Combat log

Now why didn't mauls work like that last time?

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
One day I'll get past the first round :saddowns:

And can I not use the spear and shield? The sure said they were both one handed.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Mauls are really, really good when it's a fight between big strong dudes against small dudes, and the limb pulping thing can happen. In other combinations, they're not nearly as good. They're also not very good against good armor.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Does shield material matter yet, or is balsa wood still as effective as one that glows blue?

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Galick posted:

One day I'll get past the first round :saddowns:

And can I not use the spear and shield? The sure said they were both one handed.
You dropped the shield when your arm was crushed. I questioned the shield as getting a copper shield is pointless unless you plan to bash with it. Wood works exactly as well and is cheaper.

The other thing with your build was the bite skill. If your snake man has a weapon, they will bite much less often. I think you'd have done better to put the extra points into a steel spear or more spear skill.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Oh. Welp.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
Well, either way, I'm just going to say this victory is a result of my ingenious and original build of giving a tigerman a heavy thing to hit stuff with. I look forward to seeing how it performs in the future!

Please be a small opponent, please be a small opponent, please be a small opponent. :ohdear:

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Locomotive breath posted:

Well, either way, I'm just going to say this victory is a result of my ingenious and original build of giving a tigerman a heavy thing to hit stuff with. I look forward to seeing how it performs in the future!

Please be a small opponent, please be a small opponent, please be a small opponent. :ohdear:
It's my strangler.

Should be a fun fight!

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
My plan was to swap out a shield or two for a pick once I banked enough points for a decent material. Guess that should have come first.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010

Bene Elim posted:

It's my strangler.

Should be a fun fight!

Oh, well, I guess I could have looked at the tournament brackets to figure that out. I GUESS. Either way though, I will be looking forward to my man-tiger strangling your strangler. With a hammer.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
RIP Timmy, your stupid glass cannon build was not meant to be.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bene Elim posted:

You dropped the shield when your arm was crushed. I questioned the shield as getting a copper shield is pointless unless you plan to bash with it. Wood works exactly as well and is cheaper.

The other thing with your build was the bite skill. If your snake man has a weapon, they will bite much less often. I think you'd have done better to put the extra points into a steel spear or more spear skill.

No, he should have removed the spear and spear skill, and gone full biting all the way :colbert:

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
The build I went with is rather experimental and I don't think it's been used before. Either it will be surprisingly effective and versatile or just all-around mediocre.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

:siren:1051 Arena Test League - Round 1 Fight 5:siren:

Welcome to day 2 of the contest! We open with a battle of sharp vs blunt and small vs uh...medium? Dog...lizard...thing vs keg-with-a-beard. Yeah.

Just run the fight.

On the left we have Knife Tomeetu the Kobold managed by synthorange! True to her name, Knife Tomeetu carries a large bronze dagger paired with a wooden buckler. This kobold looks to be light on her feet!

On the right we have Zwinglemming the Dwarf managed by Zwingley! Zwinglemming carries a copper mace and wears leather body armour. Another light build!

As predicted, both fighters are quick. The initial flurry of blows takes moments and ends with a bruise to Knife Tomeetu's leg and a deep cut to Zwinglemming's left bicep! The arm hangs useless and gushing blood, and Zwinglemming is already in trouble.

Now fearing injury, the gladiators play the dodging game, dancing across the arena floor. Knife Tomeetu takes another bruise, but neither can break their opponents defense.

Until a stunning move from Zwinglemming! The Dwarf chains a quick dodge into a vicious sucker-swing. Knife Tomeetu's neck takes the blow and is smashed beyond recognition. Spine most definitely severed, Knife Tomeetu's equipment falls, followed by her motionless form.

We expect a skull breaker in this situation, but Zwinglemming is out for blood! Zwinglemming bites into Knife Tomeetu's right arm and shakes the kobold around. Blood sprays, flesh tears and Knife Tomeetu screams. Zwinglemming must have been raised by snakes because he's biting again! This time he bites head and gives another sickening shake.

Beard soaked in blood, Zwinglemming finally and mercifully crushes Knife Tomeetu's head with his mace.

Zwinglemming develops a taste for Kobold flesh and advances to round 2!

Combat log

Bene Elim fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 7, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Crunchy!

1 more fight and then it's my turn. I honestly expect to lose - I went with an experimental build because I didn't want to abuse the exploit I discovered, but didn't want to go with something bland and effective. The fight is likely to be hilarious, and will probably take a while to finish.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I was hoping Bob the Blocker had some sort of cutting weapon, because going up against a molemarian with my skill investment and equipment is going to be tough. Figures, really. Last tournament I chose a longsword in case of early mole, met no moles. This tournament I go for hammer, and meet a mole in the second fight.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren:Round 1, Fight 6:siren:

Offcut is a male Goblin fighter managed by Splode. He carries a huge iron axe, with an iron helmet and assorted leather/copper armor. He is the green goblin on the left.

Flamboyantly Homosapien, nicknamed GayHomo for writing purposes, is a male Human fighter managed by unwantedplatypus. He carries an iron scourge, a silver whip, and a single leather armor piece. He is the human-looking thing.

The fighters charge. Offcut the goblin swings and chops GayHomo's right leg off at the thigh! GayHomo falls down and Offcut chops his left leg off at the knee. So now GayHomo has no legs.

GayHomo swings from the ground, fracturing Offcut's left hand and right arm bones with the silver whip. Offcut laughs and chops off GayHomo's left hand, sending the whip to the floor.

GayHomo desperately tries to dodge away.

GayHomos leg lands with a splat at the same time Offcut chops off the prone humans head.

Winner: Offcut by a landslide

Combat Log

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh no Knife. :(

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Bene and me had to change how we pull fights. He will work from the bottom up since my fight is down that way, and I'll continue to pull fights top to bottom. We almost ran that fight at the same time.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Awesome, that means I may be up next.

Well done, commissioners; we're really blazing through this tournament so far.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

:siren:1051 Arena Test League - Round 1 Fight 16:siren:

We're switching the order up to keep the fights flowing.

Entering on the left we have Jeremy Corbyn the human managed by Jack the Lad. The only gladiator in his stable not named Jack. Jeremy Corbyn comes equiped with a copper short sword and a wooden shield.

Standing ready on the right is Nashbash the Gremlin, managed by Fuubi. Nashbash caries a copper dagger and sports a leather cap.

With two sharp weapons and no real armour, this one should be quick and bloody.

Nashbash and Jeremy Corbyn meet and trade opening blows but find nothing but wood and air. The opening rounds continue in a similar way. Nashbash can't get past Jeremy Corbyn's shield and Jeremy Corbyn can't find Nashbash at all.

Jeremy Corbyn quickly gets bored and tries to body-check

Nashbash
, but even that misses. A quick sword flail as he runs past finds Goblin, cutting deep into Nashbash's leg. Nashbash's femoral artery is cut and she falls to the ground in a quickly growing pool of blood.

Nashbash takes a fat-tearing slash to the other leg and rolls away from further punnishment, but her injuries are taking a toll.

Narbash posted:

I've been injured badly. There is no hope!
No sooner does she say this that Jeremy Corbyn's blade finds her foot and neatly removes it.

Despite this, Nashbash is still swinging and dodging. She manages to stay away from Jeremy Corbyn's sword, but still can't get her dagger past his large shield..

All Nashbash's exertions keep the blood pumping, and while her defense holds, her blood supply doesn't.

Jeremy Corbyn needs to work on his aim, but advances to round 2!

Combat Log

Fuubi
Jan 18, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jack the Lad posted:

Awesome, that means I may be up next.

Well done, commissioners; we're really blazing through this tournament so far.

May the worst gremlin lose~! :cheeky:

And I agree, well done so far!

Edit: aand the fight is done!
Note to self, Grandmaster dodger is not the way to success... unless betting on my opponent and winning a nice little sum can be considered success. :cheeky:

Fuubi fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 7, 2015

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Bene and me had to change how we pull fights. He will work from the bottom up since my fight is down that way, and I'll continue to pull fights top to bottom. We almost ran that fight at the same time.

I know why you actually did this: to maximize the time until Maul Clop's fight. :colbert:

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

300 bucks down the drain for betting on the human.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
My fighter's gimmick was that whips do blunt damage and scourges do cutting damage, but they both use the lash skill. In theory I would have two weapons capable of dealing with a wide range of opponents for the price of one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren:Round 1, Fight 7:siren:

Kris is a male Minotaur fighter managed by my dad. He is decked in full steel armor which is incredible that he had the points for it... He is on the left.

First Round Casualty (FRC) is a male Strangler fighter managed by AnoHito. He's got some copper armor, some leather, and is skilled beyond belief. He is on the right. This looks like a great match.

The fighters charge, FRC strikes first blood with a devastating blow to...

... Well, I guess that is the only unarmored spot on the big cowman.

Kris is unable to lay a hand on his more agile opponent, but FRC is able to bite and cause a bruise through steel gauntlets.

Taken straight from the log:
First Round Casualty scratches Kris in the head, tearing the fat and bruising the muscle!
Kris has been knocked unconscious!
Kris falls over.

Bite->Shake->Blood Spatters everywhere. Rinse, repeat.

Right around this time I called my dad an rear end in a top hat in the chat for creating a fighter where I would have to run the fight on full speed for over a minute in order for it to finish.

Kris wakes up for a half a second, then passes out from exhaustion right after.

He doesn't look hurt hardly at all to be honest, but shaking is seriously powerful so :shrug:

First Round Casualty makes himself look dumb as poo poo with a name like that.

Winner: First Round Casualty

Combat Log

Edit: Bad Munki wasn't joking about betting against my dad. He is currently in 3rd for betting...

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 7, 2015

• Locked thread