Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

White Dog Eggs posted:

Something about this really bothers me but I can't figure it out;

Maybe it's the fact it looks like a toilet seat?

It's still at the pupa stage, won't metamorphose for another 8 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

It's the guitar equivalent of a guy with a really weak chin.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

White Dog Eggs posted:

looks like something someone left in a toilet

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

White Dog Eggs posted:

Something about this really bothers me but I can't figure it out;

That guitar looks like a frumpy woman. The finish looks like a lovely 70s kitchen countertop and clashes terribly with the maple neck and headstock. It's somehow both very ugly and very boring at the same time. Also the fact that only the left dot on the 12th fret is a different color than all the other dots on the neck bothers me. The guitar is too dull to warrant that kind of asymmetry its maker obviously thought was "wacky" and it comes off like it's trying too hard to be cool and failing miserably. And oh yeah... f-holes.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Hey goons, look what I found.

I give you a 16+ minute uninterrupted tsunami of molten hot blues jam as played by every bluesdad in the world's favorite stables of guitar players. It is filled to the absolute brim with repetitive, totally masturbatory and boring as gently caress blues licks you've heard billions and billions of times before, but this played by people who have released tons of instrumental albums that at least a few hundred people bought!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaDeIn8wP8c

(you're welcome)

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 7, 2015

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
I think that this has already been discussed and somebody described it as "vomitburst" (which I love), but Fender just put this video on youtube today and this thing is extremely my poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rLMt8SoeD8&list=FLnY6l_gprZjBN5wzImaxKpQ

It probably does belong in this thread though. I wish that the pickguard was the regular Jazzmaster shape, and that they didn't use the Strat output jack. but I love blocks and binding and vomitburst paint.

edit: also gently caress that bridge

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

I give you a 16+ minute uninterrupted tsunami of molten hot blues jam as played by every bluesdad in the world's favorite stables of guitar players. It is filled to the absolute brim with repetitive, totally masturbatory and boring as gently caress blues licks you've heard billions and billions of times before, but this played by people who have released tons of instrumental albums that at least a few hundred people bought!

(you're welcome)

warren haynes is cool

e: steve vai and joe satchroani are not

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
i would be into that finish if it wasnt for the pickguard

slap some tort on that bitch.

for real though, white pickguard thats my poo poo.

e: just noticed the bridge how do you have a jazzmaster without a trem

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

City of Tampa posted:

I think that this has already been discussed and somebody described it as "vomitburst" (which I love), but Fender just put this video on youtube today and this thing is extremely my poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rLMt8SoeD8&list=FLnY6l_gprZjBN5wzImaxKpQ

It probably does belong in this thread though. I wish that the pickguard was the regular Jazzmaster shape, and that they didn't use the Strat output jack. but I love blocks and binding and vomitburst paint.

edit: also gently caress that bridge

Apropos of jazzmaster and jaguar bodies I had a jag back in the day I was married to my ex. We were living in a 3rd story apt in Tulsa at the time, she was pretty psycho, didn't like my playing either. One spring day she pitched that guitar right out the window....I think to get a reaction.
Well, I didn't hit her, I didn't cuss (I don't think), just went down stairs to fetch it. Turned out, it landed in the lawn a foot from the sidewalk, and just had some sod jammed under the bridge. That was it, maybe some scratches. What I'm getting at is, those old swamp ash bodies they made them with, that's some durable lumber.

Welp, think I'll run down to the grocery for some popsicles before they close, it's hotter than hell here....

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GreatGreen posted:

(you're welcome)

Redo that with Timmons, Robben Ford, Robert Cray, Grover, and the rest of the really creative guys who can either bring new exciting harmonies to blues or do it with real old-school cred.

Not really fair to make fun of a shredder (say, Paul Gilbert or Vai, or Satch) for not playing blues with authenticity and genuine blues feel.

It's just shooting fish in a barrel.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPGA3vjMLgE

good you gave me an excuse to post scarified

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
^^^

What soul.

What emotion.

You know... I think that's the fuzziest tone I've ever heard a shredder use.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

muike posted:

muike, you could have posted Scarified anytime, but it isn't as fun if you don't let Bruce play the harmony. What point are you trying to make?

I don't know what the deal is so here is a VERY cool post of Paul playing an original live tribute to Rush called "Hurry Up" and it's a drat fun song; but it wasn't written with Bruce. Check out those chords!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Sg0v4tZBw

Completely lacking soul and emotion, right? Like Rush, of course.

And here's a LIVE version of Scarified with Bruce playing the harmonies from 1987:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOW_-OESnq0

Ran across this, it's a side of Paul I don't know so well and I enjoyed it a lot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_j8Zb4LLdw

EDIT:
Last weekend I played my Seafoam Green JEM at a gig. Since it's still new and pristine I used my old beat-up RG770DX for the weeks of practice leading up to the show, and it got filthy-dirty. Last night I took it apart and cleaned it. I took pictures after, so for the ugly guitar thread I present (again) my 1990 Ibanez RG770DX:

Changes: Chromed dome knobs. Seymour Duncan '59 in the neck position. DiMarzio Blue Velvet in the middle. Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge position, with a series/parallel switch on the volume pot. I tend towards leather straps these days but I ran out of expensive guitar straps so I put back the complementary blue colored DiMarzio strap because it reminds me of the old days, and especially Paul Gilbert.
I prefer thicker necks, but the electronics and acoustics of this instrument should not be altered. They're that good.

This is my ugly post.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Aug 7, 2015

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

muike posted:

That's why I play bass with a pick

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Mr. Mambold posted:

Apropos of jazzmaster and jaguar bodies I had a jag back in the day I was married to my ex. We were living in a 3rd story apt in Tulsa at the time, she was pretty psycho, didn't like my playing either. One spring day she pitched that guitar right out the window....I think to get a reaction.
Well, I didn't hit her, I didn't cuss (I don't think), just went down stairs to fetch it. Turned out, it landed in the lawn a foot from the sidewalk, and just had some sod jammed under the bridge. That was it, maybe some scratches. What I'm getting at is, those old swamp ash bodies they made them with, that's some durable lumber.

Welp, think I'll run down to the grocery for some popsicles before they close, it's hotter than hell here....

tone sod

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

GreatGreen posted:

(you're welcome)

Never thought I'd say the words, but Vai was the only one who even approached anything interesting there. Even though it was a blues shuffle he was just 'gently caress taste and appropriate playing, this is just what I sound like :dealwithit:' and went away with the whammy squeals. He's a human on/off switch hotwired to 100% tasteless. Sad he didn't use the Fautusgrip more really.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Yeah I nevrr realized it took a toneful toss for that git to land on its butt in the tone sod instead of on the tonecrete

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Dr. Faustus posted:

Redo that with Timmons, Robben Ford, Robert Cray, Grover, and the rest of the really creative guys who can either bring new exciting harmonies to blues or do it with real old-school cred.

Not really fair to make fun of a shredder (say, Paul Gilbert or Vai, or Satch) for not playing blues with authenticity and genuine blues feel.

It's just shooting fish in a barrel.

Needs Steven Segal to complete the set.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Sockington posted:

Needs Steven Segal to complete the set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLe_BZ1mo3I

dude is pretty awesome

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
literally shaking

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Schpyder posted:

Marshall amps flowchart:

code:
Is it a marshall amp
   |
   V
   Yes
   |
   V
Play something else

ftfy

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
It's both hilarious and cringeworthy how he plays guitar with only his thumb.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

it's how wes montgomery did it

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Yeah, I know a bunch of old blues guys did it, but it's not exactly a common technique. To me it just looks awkward when Seagal does it.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

That thumb is legally considered a weapon and he has a permit to conceal carry it

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Mr. Mambold posted:

That thumb is legally considered a weapon and he has a permit to conceal carry it

i want a steven segal movie where this is his top martial arts skill, like jabbing a thumb in a guys neck to kill him or something. and he walks into the bad guys office to confront him and the bad guy's like "humph, you don't look so tough" then segal takes his glove off to reveal he brought his thumb all along and the bad guy starts freaking out and trying to run away.

but its too late, segal's already slowly shuffled over and jabbed him in the neck.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

shiksa posted:

i want a steven segal movie where this is his top martial arts skill, like jabbing a thumb in a guys neck to kill him or something. and he walks into the bad guys office to confront him and the bad guy's like "humph, you don't look so tough" then segal takes his glove off to reveal he brought his thumb all along and the bad guy starts freaking out and trying to run away.

but its too late, segal's already slowly shuffled over and jabbed him in the neck.

that's actually every steven seagal movie

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxloUBCYuFM

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

City of Tampa posted:

dick dale is a cool guy and I've seen him perform twice but I never noticed any tort.

dude needs to step up his tort game.

dick dale is not cool, he has like a mild form of autism. he's probably the gooniest of guitar players.

so i see his guitar tech stringing his guitar backstage. i'd never seen dick's guitar up close before. i ask about the stickers, dick was in the next room and barged in with a plate of food from the buffet. he starts telling me about some kung fu or judo poo poo, that the only person who had the same sticker was elvis loving presley. he warns me not to touch his guitar. like 5 times. i'm not within arms reach of it.

so i'm just sitting there staring off into space for a bit and dick comes back into the room. he sits down and says "i'm sorry about earlier. i'm a vegetarian and i'm getting fat from cheese" he then asks if the crowd out there did any stupid poo poo like slam danced because he would stop his show if he saw any bullying going on. i'm like, dunno. the flat duo jets were on stage and i didn't notice any shenanigans. he then tells the bass player from my band that he had a stupid haircut and left the room again, only to return about 30 seconds later to inquire about what color cigarettes we smoked, and didn't wait for an answer.

lol look at this poo poo

http://www.dickdale.com/

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

holy loving lol.

Hey guys feel sorry for me, I'm poor and broke and have to play guitar for my medical care except for this weekend when I'll be vacationing on my multi-million dollar ocean getaway yacht.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Harry in Rio posted:

dick dale is not cool, he has like a mild form of autism. he's probably the gooniest of guitar players.

so i see his guitar tech stringing his guitar backstage. i'd never seen dick's guitar up close before. i ask about the stickers, dick was in the next room and barged in with a plate of food from the buffet. he starts telling me about some kung fu or judo poo poo, that the only person who had the same sticker was elvis loving presley. he warns me not to touch his guitar. like 5 times. i'm not within arms reach of it.

so i'm just sitting there staring off into space for a bit and dick comes back into the room. he sits down and says "i'm sorry about earlier. i'm a vegetarian and i'm getting fat from cheese" he then asks if the crowd out there did any stupid poo poo like slam danced because he would stop his show if he saw any bullying going on. i'm like, dunno. the flat duo jets were on stage and i didn't notice any shenanigans. he then tells the bass player from my band that he had a stupid haircut and left the room again, only to return about 30 seconds later to inquire about what color cigarettes we smoked, and didn't wait for an answer.

lol look at this poo poo

Not going to lie, that sounds hilarious.

I did up a guitar for a legit autistic guy once (his helper was a friend of mine) and he wanted to stay and watch me cut a new nut, so him and my friend ended up sitting on my sofa drinking tea whilst I worked on his guitar in my front room on a portable bench (can't let anyone in the workshop due to insurance reasons, plus it's a shithole). That was kind of weird.

GreatGreen posted:

holy loving lol.

Hey guys feel sorry for me, I'm poor and broke and have to play guitar for my medical care except for this weekend when I'll be vacationing on my multi-million dollar ocean getaway yacht.

I bet it's hosed in some way. I seem to remember being told by someone that there are loads of lovely second-hand yachts rotting away because they have lots of weird problems with the engine parts wearing out and being impossible to replace? Who knows. Maybe it just smells like piss and fish.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Harry in Rio posted:

lol look at this poo poo

holy drat dick dale owns

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

GreatGreen posted:

holy loving lol.

He should keep that loving yacht and have a viking funeral concert on it when he goes.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

White Dog Eggs posted:

I bet it's hosed in some way. I seem to remember being told by someone that there are loads of lovely second-hand yachts rotting away because they have lots of weird problems with the engine parts wearing out and being impossible to replace? Who knows. Maybe it just smells like piss and fish.

boats are loving awful. the two best days of a mans life are the one when he gets a boat and the one where he gets rid os it

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Harry in Rio posted:

lol look at this poo poo

That website is awesome. I wish I had some cool Dick Dale stories but I just briefly talked to him about his guitar and he was cool to me. He didn't tell me any judo/Elvis stories about the sticker, that would have been rad.

White Dog Eggs posted:

yeah boats like that can be surprisingly cheap, they use so much fuel to operate that it can be like $500+ to move one even a short distance, and once they get old and a little worn around the edges the average yacht customer isn't interested in buying it so it's hard to get rid of. A lot of people live on poo poo like that at live-aboard marinas.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's 11:12pm. I just got a call from a guy who was supposed to pick his guitar up at 4pm. He wants to pick up his guitar now.

I loving hate musicians so much.

E: on a lighter note:
https://www.facebook.com/FullOfWeapons/videos/899136100143557
(Apologies for facebook link, can't link it directly)

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 7, 2015

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

White Dog Eggs posted:

It's 11:12pm. I just got a call from a guy who was supposed to pick his guitar up at 4pm. He wants to pick up his guitar now.

I loving hate musicians so much.

E: on a lighter note:
https://www.facebook.com/FullOfWeapons/videos/899136100143557
(Apologies for facebook link, can't link it directly)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLmKrXjTwIo

Same vid, less facebook. Also lol

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

that whammy mechanism is amazing

also of course it's gold

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Hah, that's awesome/awful. I thought it was going to be just a built copy of those goofy rear end guntars, but it's so much better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
So me and one of my guitar instructors at my shop were sitting around bullshitting about dumb college music poo poo and she dropped this on me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO9FVxJ4FE8 this is what they're teaching in college is guess these days.

• Locked thread