Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
First time I encountered a Leshen it was guarding a treasure chest in Velen and 9+ levels higher than me. Obviously I just couldn't pass up some treasure in the middle of a loving forest. I managed to sneak around to the treasure chest and loot it without it noticing me. Then I saved and ran at it with Geralt screaming "Come at me bro" and was basically one-shot before I could land a single igni cast or a sword strike. I was concerned that it would regenerate health like some monsters do on my next attempt and found that Mr. Nature God Demon Elemental surprisingly didn't. About 15 minutes of Geralt doing a 5k or two in the process, I looted the body and continued to make it a marathon as Geralt ran half-way across Velen. That was when I think the werewolf decoction would have been rather handy.

Litany Unheard posted:

One thing I love about the Witcher is how most of the critters you encounter are drawn from actual folklore. Leshen, chorts, lubberkins, etc.
Bruxa I thought were a little twist on bruja being "witch" in Spanish as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

That's a Leshen. They're super cool. :allears: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leshy

Huh. That article had a link to Chorts, which in turn had a link to Chernobog. The more you know!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I just found out about Emhyr's original plans for Ciri.
Somehow I don't think I'm going to be taking her to see him after all. Unless I can arrange for him to be on fire at the time.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Aug 7, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Wow, started reading up on the two expansions and combined they're supposed to be about as long as The Witcher 2? That's nuts. Really looking forward to the first one.

sertalman
Apr 4, 2010

necrobobsledder posted:

Bruxa I thought were a little twist on bruja being "witch" in Spanish as well.

Bruxa is also the name of a mythological creature in northern Spain folklore. :eng101:

As far as I can tell it's basically just a witch, though. I'm not sure if the word bruja is derived directly from the former or the result of different myths.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Also, the name "Pesta" appears to be taken from Norwegian folklore (there may be similar characters in other countries). She is an old crone that personifies the Black Death. She carries a broom and a rake, where she uses the first, everyone dies. If she uses the rake, some survive.

The one in the game is simply a green Wraith that spreads disease in the location she haunts, though.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Kopijeger posted:

The one in the game is simply a green Wraith that spreads disease in the location she haunts, though.

Because all the rakes in the area are broken and stored in the containers

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pyromancer posted:

Because all the rakes in the area are broken and stored in the containers

"Aww poo poo I broke my rake. Better put it in my dresser." -Me.

"WHAT AN AMAZING IDEA FRIEND, WE WILL ALL DO THE SAME." -Everyone.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I wish loot containers were more consistent in what they contained. Cool stuff in chests and jewel boxes, trash in bags and boxes. But nah, everything can be found anywhere.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Here I am just walking to my main story quest and I walk into this town on the way.

Weird, this town is completely deserted.

Then an explosion happens at my feet. Use witcher sense and the town is full of traps. Eventually, something happened that I really did not expect.

Ran into Letho, he set the traps. hosed up his plans, but sent him to Kaer

It is so insane that I just happened to run into that town. Without a quest, witcher contract or even a question mark. I just saw the traps and started investigating.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Patch 1.08 is live.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
What's that patch for?

Edit: Thanks, appreciate it. I'm super tired, I thought I was posting in the Destiny thread, too.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 7, 2015

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

quote:

PERFORMANCE:
Overall improvements to performance, including some issues that may have been caused by 1.07.

UI:
[Japanese Only][PS4 Only] Fixes an issue where the background text of certain books would flicker.
Fixes an issue where part of the Kaer Morhen map would not display properly.

GAMEPLAY:
Fixes a rare issue where items would disappear from the stash.
Fixes a very rare issue which would cause Geralt to get stuck when trying to run.
The interaction pop-up will no longer appear on lootable objects that are empty.
Fixes an occasional glitch in one of the dwarf combat animations.
Heads chopped off during finishers will no longer disappear.
"Players can perform a roll just before landing to significantly reduce the damage caused by falling.
We've added a tutorial pop-up window explaining this to make it clearer."
In patch 1.07, the level requirements for certain items were scaled up, leaving some players stuck with only unusable gear. With patch 1.08, we are introducing the Wolven Hour potion. This potion will be available in everyone's inventory once they install the patch. It will reduce level requirements on all gear for a period of one hour. This will give players time to level up or find alternative equipment using the gear that was available to them in patch 1.05 but became unusable after patch 1.07. After one hour, the potion's effects will cease and the requirements for all gear will revert to their original, pre-potion values.
Fixes an issue where players were unable to compare their items with ones sold by merchants.

ACHIEVEMENTS:
Players will now be able to complete the Card Collector achievement.
Achievements are now working properly again and will be unlocked if players meet their requirements after installing this patch (PC version).

GRAPHICS:
Fixes an issue where interiors would sometimes not display properly on the minimap.
Fixes an issue where certain world elements would sometimes be missing and noticeable visual glitches would be present while in Novigrad.

QUEST:

Fixes an issue where players were unable to finish the "It Takes Three to Tango" quest, even though they had obtained wine at the Kingfisher.
Fixes an issue where Geralt would sometimes die after traveling to Velen in the quest "Something Ends, Something Begins."
The entrance to the area where the Sunstone is obtained will no longer be blocked off if the player exits it prematurely during "The Sunstone" quest.
Fixes an issue where players were unable to complete the "Get Junior" quest on certain occasions.
Fixes an issue where players were unable to finish the "Scavenger Hunt: Viper School Gear" quest due to a closed gate.
Fixes an issue where some players were unable to investigate rooms during the "Family Matters" quest, effectively blocking their progression.
Fixes an issue where players were unable to finish the "Hey, You Wanna Look at my Stuff?" quest.
Fixes an issue where players were unable to talk to Roche during the "An Eye for an Eye" quest.
Fixes an issue where Roche would stay at his camp instead of going to the Oxenfurt Bridge in the "Get Junior" quest.
Fixes an issue where, under certain circumstances, Yennefer would not appear in Oxenfurt during the "The Great Escape" quest.
Drowners will have a harder time killing Nidas during the "Black Pearl" quest.
Fixes an issue which led to an infinite loading screen during the "To Bait a Forktail..." quest under certain circumstances.
Fixes a rare issue where the basement was locked during the "King's Gambit" quest.
Fixes an issue where players were unable to free the merchant during the Person in Distress event in the Claywich area.
The trolls at the Circle of Elements will no longer attack Geralt if he opts for a peaceful resolution.
Fixes an issue where players were unable to talk to Roche during the "Brothers in Arms" quest.
Fixes an issue where Zoltan's card was unobtainable.

GENERAL:
Preparatory features paving the way for the introduction of New Game + in the future.

I loaded a save to see if missing achievements would be given retroactively, but it looks like you'll need to complete them again with the patch installed. Noooooooooooooooooo :negative:

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Aug 7, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

They should have just changed the equipment requirements back to what it was instead of adding that potion because that is a silly way to fix something, especially when the gear wasn't overpowered to start with

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Litany Unheard posted:

I loaded a save to see if missing achievements would be given retroactively, but it looks like you'll need to complete them again with the patch installed. Noooooooooooooooooo :negative:

Steam Achievements Manager is my friend.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Litany Unheard posted:

Really? I read that as achievements getting unlocked retroactively but I see now it can be understood both ways. So if you've done a contract with a related achievement, you're hosed until you do another playthrough?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Huh. That article had a link to Chorts, which in turn had a link to Chernobog. The more you know!

It's been slow at work this week, and I love folklore and stuff like that, so I've been Wikipedia-ing my heart out. I already knew about Chernobog thanks to "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman, but I also learned that Svarbog, Veles, and Perun are all deities in Slavic folklore, too!

e: In retrospect, I bet the people that monitor internet usage at work put me on some kind of list. It's all European folklore and stuff about Nazis, Nazi hunters, and WWII.

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 7, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Manatee Cannon posted:

They should have just changed the equipment requirements back to what it was instead of adding that potion because that is a silly way to fix something, especially when the gear wasn't overpowered to start with
Yeah that is a ridiculous fix, especially because people probably already did something about now being under-leveled for equipment they have equipped :psyduck:

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Well a combination of Windows 10, new drivers and the patch means my game runs beautifully, no more micro stutters in Novigrad! Still some slight pop in though of people and some textures but less so than from before about parch 1.04 ish. Feels much smoother all round from the quick play I just did.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think the issue is that their item generation engine determines level requirement directly from item stats. Changing this would be a lot a work.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

Is the download/patch getting flagged by your anti-virus unbeknownst to you? Sometimes they won't like some random thing about a patch and will quarantine a file or something without popping up to tell you.

Turning my antivirus software off while installing it made no difference.

I really hope this doesn't apply to 1.08.

EDIT: And I see 1.08 is out. Wish me luck.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 7, 2015

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
How about PS4 trophies, were those busted in 1.07? I beat the game on PC and have a PS4 copy I'm being crazy enough to play...

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Snak posted:

I think the issue is that their item generation engine determines level requirement directly from item stats. Changing this would be a lot a work.

I think they only changed the requirements for stuff like the Witcher gear so they really could just drop it back to what it used to be (there's a 3-4 level increase across the board for that stuff now). I've used it before they did this and never felt overpowered.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Anti-Hero posted:

How about PS4 trophies, were those busted in 1.07? I beat the game on PC and have a PS4 copy I'm being crazy enough to play...

I definitely got my Death March trophy while playing on 1.07, so unless I just got lucky or it only affects certain trophies, you should be good.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Crappy Jack posted:

I definitely got my Death March trophy while playing on 1.07, so unless I just got lucky or it only affects certain trophies, you should be good.

Cheers, it sounds like only the gwent collector trophy was busted on consoles while nothing worked on PC.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I had made a shortcut to the EXE file so that I didn't have to log into GOG Galaxy every time I wanted to launch the game, but now the game doesn't launch through that. It also apparently doesn't launch through GOG Galaxy, so I guess Patch 1.08 broke everything.

edit: I keep trying to Verify/Repair but they're having server problems I guess because it keeps failing.

CVagts fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 7, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

The Sharmat posted:

Turning my antivirus software off while installing it made no difference.

I really hope this doesn't apply to 1.08.

EDIT: And I see 1.08 is out. Wish me luck.

Same exact error. This has been reported a few times on the official forums with no solution that worked too. Guess I just can't play this game anymore.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
After 1.08, I'm having a lot of achievements pop as I play. Unfortunately, any achievements for completing contracts will have to wait until New Game + (unless I use SAM), but for the achievements involving counters (e.g. kill 50 enemies with the environment, discover 100 fast travel points, Axii 10 enemies and have them kill each other), it seems like the game keeps a running tally. I the first time I did something to add to the counter for each of those achievements, the game was smart enough to realize I was well past the required number and awarded an achievement.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

dog nougat posted:

I just got killed by some crazy monster walking upright with antlers, it one-shotted me by making wood/roots come out of the ground. It was kinda spooky.

Me: "WHAT is that thing?"

Monster immediately turns towards me and casts woods and I die immediately. What just killed me? I wasn't close enough to see a monster type or level. This was in Velen near the Dragonslayer's grotto and Downwarren.

A friend of mine had the exact same reaction when he ran into that thing. He texted me WHAT THE gently caress I RAN INTO SOME SORT OF DEER-WOODS CREATURE AND HE'S CREEPY AS HELL!

It was funny to me especially because I had just killed two back to back.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Does anyone know what this "streaming.cache" thing actually is? Is there somewhere I can download it separately myself instead of relying on these buggy piece of poo poo patch setup things to do it?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I had the deer-woods creature on the run until the wolves came...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

The Sharmat posted:

Does anyone know what this "streaming.cache" thing actually is? Is there somewhere I can download it separately myself instead of relying on these buggy piece of poo poo patch setup things to do it?

If you PM me and remind me I can probably send you mine when I get home. It kind of sounds like a temporary file to me, but I don't know.

Did you try finding the patch installer on the hard drive, and running it manually as administrator? It might be a permissions issue.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't have private messaging.

Edit: And yes I've run it as an administrator, turned off all my antivirus software while trying it, uninstalled and reinstalled, tried running the patch from different drives, made sure I have enough hard drive space for the temp file (assuming it doesn't need more than 130 gbs of free space, which I think is a safe assumption) etc etc. Nothing works.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Well if you bug me at a moment of my convenience I'll do it, sorry that's not very helpful, sucks to your rear end-mar.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Probably wouldn't work anyway.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
"GRAPHICS:
Fixes an issue where interiors would sometimes not display properly on the minimap."

Sometimes?

From about 1/4 of the way in I never saw an interior on my minimap. it was really loving annoying in caves.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I still can't play this game. I patched it to 1.08, did Verify/Repair and waited for it to download 7 gigs of whatever, and it still won't open when I try to play it.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Curiously, I can open the game and play it when the patch fails to install properly, and it will claim to be the proper version on the bottom left corner. But I can't install any DLC and the game itself is unplayably slow and has constant 5 second freezes every few minutes.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
Skelliges Most Wanted still bugs out for me on PS4. Kill werewolf, he freezes and sound loop of his roar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Metanaut posted:

Skelliges Most Wanted still bugs out for me on PS4. Kill werewolf, he freezes and sound loop of his roar.

Yeah, that one's not affected by this patch. Hopefully 1.09 does it.