Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Lilli posted:

I've been thinking about going back to school recently to get an associates in IT. For reference I already have a bachelors in a different field, but I'm sure at this point that I don't want to be in my current line of work for the long haul, so I'm looking to change fields. Is getting an associates a bad call vs. just working towards certifications, or is it reasonable to get an associates in addition to working towards certs?

If you've already got a BA/BS, and need to get out now, get your A+ cert and get a job at a help-desk. For actually doing the work, the ability to problem-solve and think logically are paramount, followed by experience, while certifications and a related degree are only marginally useful. For actually getting someone to PAY you to do the work, certs/degrees are going to break about even with demonstrable experience, and very few people are actually confident/competent enough to test others' problem-solving ability.

You've already got a degree, so grab an A+ cert (really, really basic PC hardware/software test) or get in somewhere that doesn't require much experience at all, which means a help-desk or something like it. If you can use some nepotism to get in somewhere, that works too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It may take some effort because you'll be fighting Python, but try to write your entire program as giant, incomprehensible one-liner.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Never write in 4 lines what you can do in 20.

- Sun Tzu, Art of Coding

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I did nothing today but read 80% of the final harry potter novel.

My boss wasn't around and I wasn't given permission to do anything. So I didn't. The whole day.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I've had like 8-9 years in IT, have a bachelors degree, and my boss wants me to do A+ and network+

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sorry about your government job.

My A+ expires in a year and a half. I'll just put it on my resume that I had it to get past HR, but anyone thinking I need to pay $400 every 3 years for something like that is a red flag.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mewse posted:

I've had like 8-9 years in IT, have a bachelors degree, and my boss wants me to do A+ and network+

I had to get a Security+ cert (I already had a CISSP and several GIAC certs at that point) as part of our "everyone on the team needs this baseline certification" about 5 years ago for this place. I just shrugged went and took the 45mins or so to take the test, hosed around shopping the rest of the day, and got paid. Being new, I just went along to get along for that one as it wasn't a hill I was willing to die for. I'd never put it on my resume, business card, email signature, or refer to it in any way at this point in my career. In fact it's probably expired.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

anyone thinking I need to pay $400 every 3 years for something like that is a red flag.

Basically!

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
fart

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 23, 2018

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Chickenwalker posted:

I got a big raise and promotion, new title and everything a week or so ago, but I just don't know how much longer I can put up with people's stupid computer problems. And that's all it's going to be forever isn't it.

That depends on what your focus is in the industry. IT is broad, if you don't want to do helpdesk stuff there's plenty to study to move to other places in it. Ultimately most things involve making technology work for people, but there are a lot of jobs where you don't have to interact with the people if you don't want to.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Chickenwalker posted:

I got a big raise and promotion, new title and everything a week or so ago, but I just don't know how much longer I can put up with people's stupid computer problems. And that's all it's going to be forever isn't it.

Keep going and you can help people with their stupid server problems!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Keep going and you can help people with their stupid server problems!

Or get into networking infrastructure and get blamed for everything.

But stay away from printers.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

flosofl posted:

But stay away from printers.

I'm starting out by setting up printers. I'm going to be the printer guy forever, aren't I?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Llab posted:

I'm starting out by setting up printers. I'm going to be the printer guy forever, aren't I?

Until you can find some other poor sucker to take your place. It's basically the myth of Atlas.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So a year ago I posted in this thread (I think, it was one of the bitch threads) about how I passed up an offer to go be a director of IT at some small firm.

Just :yotj:'d at the company I've been with out of internal IT over to the NOC, making just under what I would have made as the director of IT(!) for the other place, with a much chiller work enviornment. :feelsgood:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Ive almost completely banished every personal printer and lovely OfficeJet all in one from my clients and replaced them all with Xerox's serviced by my local Xerox distributor. My Xerox rep is also smoking hot. I won the printer game.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

go3 posted:

I won the printer game.
In the game of printers, you win or you die.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

go3 posted:

Ive almost completely banished every personal printer and lovely OfficeJet all in one from my clients and replaced them all with Xerox's serviced by my local Xerox distributor. My Xerox rep is also smoking hot. I won the printer game.

Yeah, until you realize Xerox is literally the devil.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Internet Explorer posted:

Sounds like his rep is Elizabeth Hurley. Checks out.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Internet Explorer posted:

as bad as Xerox is, HP is worse.

We have Xerox machines, but somehow everyone wound up with their own personal HP laserjet xxx anyway.
I'm battling one right now that's throwing a 59.2 (main motor rotation) error.
Things that solved the issue: cleaning the waste toner cartridge, propping the front door slightly open.
Things that didn't solve the issue: having an HP tech replace the main motor.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Llab posted:

Just make sure your next job isn't printer heavy too. I went from an MSP doing largely printer work to an internal helpdesk where I never touch printers. I still get a bunch of tickets about them, but I don't have to get toner on me anymore.

The guy I worked with who ended up going to work at the hospital fixing their printers, though, he's probably screwed.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sometimes, I forget I have my butt to butt extension installed in Chrome.

I actually googled "buttflare," and it turns out someone made a website for it.

http://buttflare.com/

:allears:

Edit: One more, because I am literally a child.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 7, 2015

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

KillHour posted:

Always loved checking the weather and seeing that the skies were partly Butty.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

KillHour posted:

My boss swears I'm going to get in trouble for this extension one day when I'm showing something to a client.

I reason that any client who can't laugh at spinning up virtual machines in my butt shouldn't be a client at all.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KillHour posted:

I am (very likely) getting ready to move a big part of our analytics ecosystem to a cloud butt-based environment and, as a manager, have been doing endless presentations on the topic. This, and the upcoming but unbeknownst installs of it on co-worker's browsers, has made my day immeasurably better and I thank you.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Today I sent out the email to let everyone know Windows AD passwords will now have to be complex, will expire and not be reusable. :getin:

Of course I checked with my boss first to get approval. She told me she'd been using the same password for seven years.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Like, never reusable? Even the school I went to let you re-use it after 12 changes. It might have been a 1-month rotation, which would have been pretty stupid.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Dick Trauma posted:

Today I sent out the email to let everyone know Windows AD passwords will now have to be complex, will expire and not be reusable. :getin:

Of course I checked with my boss first to get approval. She told me she'd been using the same password for seven years.

Are you going to walk around periodically and throw away all the post it notes with passwords on them too? :getin:

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Like, never reusable? Even the school I went to let you re-use it after 12 changes. It might have been a 1-month rotation, which would have been pretty stupid.
12 is dumb, 13 is the right number.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

So today I ran a large file report from File Server Resource Manager on one of our file servers, which has our networked home drives. Looking over the results at the names, one caught my eye as "John Wick". Then there was a "Fury". So I went to the folder and there were about 12 movies clearly downloaded from torrents. I told my supervisor and he told me to tell our boss (who is the director of infrastructure & cybersecurity). He told me they'd take care of it and he'd send an email to everyone soon that says not to download movies on company computers.

I feel bad about essentially ratting the person out :ohdear:

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I wish there were a "Numlock is always On" button. I literally have never used those keys in any other way, and it causes frustration on a regular basis thanks to VMs and RDP

myron cope posted:

Better you than a DMCA. We got a few of those yearly thanks to students, easy to explain away though.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
enterprise storage is the printers of the datacenter

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

myron cope posted:

Dude was eating up bandwidth, putting the network at risk of viruses, taking up server resources, and causing backups to run longer.

Don't sympathise with a guy making more work for you because his home internet isn't fast enough for his liking.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

CloFan posted:

Better you than a DMCA. We got a few of those yearly thanks to students, easy to explain away though.

we support a number of hotels and every so often a complaint makes it to us about not being able to 'get on the internet' and sure enough its because their torrents arent working. sorry folks, neither I or the hotel owners want to deal with DMCA notices!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Dude was eating up bandwidth, putting the network at risk of viruses, taking up server resources, and causing backups to run longer.

Don't sympathise with a guy making more work for you because his home internet isn't fast enough for his liking.

Even worse than that, IP addresses that belong to a corporation make lawyers salivate, and DCMA notifications are a big loving deal. Not only that, poor myron would find himself dealing with meeting after meeting with the corporate lawyers to "educate" them on what happened, who did it, and how it's not going to happen again. Trust me when I say those are a level of hell that even Dick Trauma, who has Seen Some poo poo, would suffer PTSD from. The first two of the TWO HOUR MEETINGS were simply defining terms and systems for the lawyers when I had to deal with DCMA at {$JOB}-1.

myron did the right thing.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Vulture Culture posted:

enterprise storage is the printers of the datacenter

+1

My job would be perfect if I didn't have to deal with storage.

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I change my password 10 times after it expires so I can keep using the same one :smug:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Spectracide posted:

I change my password 10 times after it expires so I can keep using the same one :smug:

That's why god invented minimum password ages.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
The fundamental reason I became a sys admin is so that I can always set my password back to my standard admin password. You know what, it's long and complex enough that if you can ever figure out the password I use at work, you can have whatever you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

The fundamental reason I became a sys admin is so that I can always set my password back to my standard admin password. You know what, it's long and complex enough that if you can ever figure out the password I use at work, you can have whatever you want.