Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Those things are kind of like Louis talking about playing his exercise tapes back twice as fast in Ghostbusters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I had a boss who did MMA who used one of those masks. Seems to have worked out for him. Don't know if he's still doing either one.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

dscruffy1 posted:

I had a boss who did MMA who used one of those masks. Seems to have worked out for him.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Has anyone successfully petitioned for Civilian Clothing Allowance for their jobs? We have some inspections we're not allowed to wear our uniforms for and are expected to be wearing suits, but apparently the people before me have never brought up the issue before.

As I'm in a joint assignment, I'm looking at DoD regs and DODI 1338.18 seems to apply, but if anyone has any tips/tricks I'd be happy to hear them before I draft a memo or whatever.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Pretty sure you have to wear civilian clothes for a certain amount of days before you can get one.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
So I went out hiking, climbed a couple mountains, saw the local rally event, overall had a good weekend out here.

While I'm out my roommate/coworker decides to throw a little get together with like 5 people. People get drunk, his girlfriend breaks up with him, she leaves, eventually everyone leaves, the end. Except he's woken up at 8 in the morning by the cops wondering why the front door is covered in blood.

Apparently his now ex-girlfriend really wanted back inside around 4 in the morning, but my roommate sleeps like a log and didn't hear a drat thing. The landlord decided he couldn't stay here anymore. I guess the moral here is don't stick your dick in crazy.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
stick your dick in crazy, and then run

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

A Kpro posted:

While I'm out my roommate/coworker decides to throw a little get together with like 5 people. People get drunk, his girlfriend breaks up with him, she leaves, eventually everyone leaves, the end. Except he's woken up at 8 in the morning by the cops wondering why the front door is covered in blood.

Apparently his now ex-girlfriend really wanted back inside around 4 in the morning, but my roommate sleeps like a log and didn't hear a drat thing. The landlord decided he couldn't stay here anymore. I guess the moral here is don't stick your dick in crazy at your place. Go to her's.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That post started out making me go drat, why am I in the fail Air Force, and not the one with a base near that. Then at the bottom I realized it was an illusion.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Larry Parrish posted:

That post started out making me go drat, why am I in the fail Air Force, and not the one with a base near that. Then at the bottom I realized it was an illusion.

Aren't you at Travis? You're like 3 hours away from Yosemite, less than that from Mendocino, and less than that to the Marin Headlands or Point Reyes.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was kidding mostly. I'm from California though so those places don't seem very exciting.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Wait until you spend a few years in New Mexico or Oklahoma.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

From the Idiots on Social Media thread.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I hate everything about that photo.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Well, he probably was a 2E at that point going off the badge, it was before we got merged and got the 'fisting south america with lightningbolts' badge. So if he's still in I'll probably run into him eventually :(

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

nullscan posted:

Has anyone successfully petitioned for Civilian Clothing Allowance for their jobs? We have some inspections we're not allowed to wear our uniforms for and are expected to be wearing suits, but apparently the people before me have never brought up the issue before.

As I'm in a joint assignment, I'm looking at DoD regs and DODI 1338.18 seems to apply, but if anyone has any tips/tricks I'd be happy to hear them before I draft a memo or whatever.

Check DoD FMR.

terrez
Mar 20, 2012

nullscan posted:

Wine I looked at it I think you had to be required to be on a TDY that required no military uniform for at least 15 days. There were some exceptions for EOD and people that work in a civilian office or something. There's an AFI about clothing allowances.

Eyre Kneed
Jul 1, 2008

Are we expecting another great Staff giveaway?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

put a trigger warning on that picture, gently caress

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm glad I made it during a year when not many stripes were given out to really drive home the point of me not giving a poo poo and how easy it is to make staff.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
They did 25% for TSgt and 22% for MSgt, I'd be surprised if it wasn't a 40%+ for Staffs.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
Those poor souls. There's not near enough of a pay jump for the extra amount of bullshit that gets tacked on.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
oh my, the peasants are all excited again about who gets to be the lead poo poo shoveler

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

A Kpro posted:

Those poor souls. There's not near enough of a pay jump for the extra amount of bullshit that gets tacked on.
Yup. I was absolutely pissed off when I found out I made staff; it meant I was leaving the best rank in the AF

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't know man, there's a stark difference between how leadership treats you once you make staff. Airmen get treated like children and NCOs get treated like slightly older children. Though I haven't had to supervise anyone so it's been a trip down easy street for the most part.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know man, there's a stark difference between how leadership treats you once you make staff. Airmen get treated like children and NCOs get treated like slightly older children. Though I haven't had to supervise anyone so it's been a trip down easy street for the most part.

I was told that if I got a line number for staff, I was immediately going to ALS and getting three subordinates. Somehow I magically didn't pick up staff in my final two years. If I make it this year, I go on terminal leave a few days after the announcement, so whatever.

zombieswithblenders
Nov 21, 2008

Rekinom posted:

oh my, the peasants are all excited again about who gets to be the lead poo poo shoveler

Truth in them fancy noble speak of yours.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

xaarman posted:

PIT Pads are amazing, way better than living in the lovely RAFB lodging for 4.5 months.

I live on Columbus :negative:

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
Here's my advice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gO7uemm6Yo

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

What?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

You poor son of a bitch.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Wild T posted:

You poor son of a bitch.

But hey! It's like, you just gotta make the best of it, like any base! *takes out box of hollow point .45s*

I mean, sure this tiny base none of you have heard of has no amenitites like an auto hobby shop, and arts and crafts, or even a base library *loads bullets into a magazine*

But, you're only an hour away from the nearest fun thing to do. You're only 2 hours away from Birmingham if you like to shop or have fun stuff to do. 1 hour to Tuscaloosa if you like college football! 30 minutes from Starkville if you like college football! 1 hour from Oxford if you like college football! I hope you like your college football *slams magazine home and racks slide*

What better opportunity to actually see first hand the way AETC feeds the fight than by living on Columbus? 90% of the base populace are all freshly minted 2LT's. The pride I feel knowing that I play a direct role in forming these future leaders swells my chest. *drives muzzle into the fleshy part of temple*

But, it's really all in what YOU do to make the best of it. Making the best of Columbus is driving an hour in any cardinal direction until you get to a better city :shepicide:

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 8, 2015

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

But hey! It's like, you just gotta make the best of it, like any base! *takes out box of hollow point .45s*
Traumatic flashbook to a briefing where a crusty major tried to sell us gunships at Cannon.

CaptainStag
Sep 29, 2004

Good acting is a practiced craft, one that suggests subtlety and nuance.

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Yup. I was absolutely pissed off when I found out I made staff; it meant I was leaving the best rank in the AF

If you were honestly that concerned, is there a reason you didn't christmas tree it?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

CaptainStag posted:

If you were honestly that concerned, is there a reason you didn't christmas tree it?

The same reason everyone does. Try to convince people that you hate the air force the most, more than anyone, while secretly trying to do your best at it.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Dominoes posted:

Traumatic flashbook to a briefing where a crusty major tried to sell us gunships at Cannon.

There is a hill, made of dirt, and they take lawn chairs up on the hill and drink

also the town council is made up of social parasites who feed like bloated ticks on BAH

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
Reddit found a leaked copy of a new air force recruiting video that's pretty sweet. It's got a song that's neat and I've never heard before!

https://youtu.be/VudWv9pQNdE

warrior culture hooah

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
This isn't science fiction.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

This isn't science fiction.

No way the Air Force is that exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

Genocide Tendency posted:

No way the Air Force is that exciting.

Over ten years old, but still relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m4mnIFWi9o