Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ContraceptiveCereal
Mar 27, 2010
Do we know if the rear end in a top hat devs are still working on Wildstar? IE that guy who replied to a guild finally killing a boss with that passive aggressive gif thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

ContraceptiveCereal posted:

Do we know if the rear end in a top hat devs are still working on Wildstar? IE that guy who replied to a guild finally killing a boss with that passive aggressive gif thing?

he's still there, because of course he is

he'll be the last one to leave and shut out the lights

ContraceptiveCereal
Mar 27, 2010
Great. :yayclod:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Enigma, the (formerly?) top wildstar guild had a hilariously short turnaround time that not only would they pull your main tank, but they'd kick him a week later. They also cheated like all hell, which was a great choice because Carbine was worse than Trion for not banning for blatant ruinous cheating.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
I once made a StarCraft custom map which you spawned with a 200 hp marine and had to kill a 9999 hp ultralisk.

Almost 20 years later it is still undefeated.

Please hire me I am clearly the best raid designer ever.

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."

Double Monocle posted:

I once made a StarCraft custom map which you spawned with a 200 hp marine and had to kill a 9999 hp ultralisk.

Almost 20 years later it is still undefeated.

Please hire me I am clearly the best raid designer ever.

You forgot the 50 step attunement process that would randomly bug out and had to be restarted. You're obviously not hardcore enough for Carbine.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Deki posted:

Enigma, the (formerly?) top wildstar guild had a hilariously short turnaround time that not only would they pull your main tank, but they'd kick him a week later. They also cheated like all hell, which was a great choice because Carbine was worse than Trion for not banning for blatant ruinous cheating.

what's funnier is that carbine actually did ban some cheaters, and then came out threats to quit on the official forums, and carbine unbanned them.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

sword_man.gif posted:

what's funnier is that carbine actually did ban some cheaters, and then came out threats to quit on the official forums, and carbine unbanned them.

They should have just done a rollback to before the kill for those people. Oh wait, right, they don't have rollback technology. No, seriously. There are literally people with decades of gametime due to an exploit, and Carbine said they didn't have the ability to roll the servers back.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
The evolution of gardengate was hilarious.

First they asked the people who used the dupe exploit to come forward (by filing a ticket admitting it) and they'd give them a lighter punishment. If they didn't, lifetime bans!

In the meantime they just completely disabled garden plots, where the dupe bug was happening.

Someone realized a good percentage of the playerbase had used the exploit, and they'd be banning the bulk of the suckers still playing.

"Lifetime" changed to "a week" ban and any REMAINING gold gained by duping (not items or cred bought with it) was confiscated. If the player already blew it all, welp, nothing they could do. Enjoy that solid gold housing plot.

I looked at the auction house a month ago when I accidentally activated my week long return trial. The economy is still hosed, probably always will be because Carbine.

And all that happened because they were desperate to get a major content patch out around the same time WoD launched.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Less than half an hour to the big Blizzard reveal at gamescon. Odds on Carbine employees peddling their bad game on the parking lot outside? :v:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Lima posted:

Less than half an hour to the big Blizzard reveal at gamescon. Odds on Carbine employees peddling their bad game on the parking lot outside? :v:

By far the funniest thing.

ContraceptiveCereal
Mar 27, 2010
Quick! Get in the van! :bandwagon:

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I like how their solution to the subscriber diarrhea torrent was to go full in on Nostalgia.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Lima posted:

Considering the crowd reactions, that might actually be a good move on Carbine's part.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Iron Tusk posted:

I like how their solution to the subscriber diarrhea torrent was to go full in on Nostalgia.

Too bad Carbine can't try the same thing!

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Deki posted:

Considering the crowd reactions, that might actually be a good move on Carbine's part.

Seems like a lesser of the two evils situation, which is an oddly self-defeating approach to have about an optional entertainment choice. But that's the way a non-trivial amount of MMORPG players think. :shrug: Never understood that.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Iron Tusk posted:

Mental image of a Wildstar so starved for subscribers it's squatting below Warcraft's rear end, mouth wide open in a desperate attempt to catch some of the drippings

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Mizuti posted:

For those that are curious but don't want to look it up, here is Tseric's meltdown about the hazards of MMO communities.

The job seems to test the limits of human patience. All MMOs seem to attract a very angry, implacable audience, but Wildstar's sounds extra unpleasant.

http://tsericdown.ytmnd.com/

:911:

e: Boy, remember YTMND? :v:

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

So, it seems some info on the desperate monetary bandage micro-trans stuff is up. Probably the shittiest cosmetics I've ever seen for sale.

Click for poo poo -> http://imgur.com/a/K5zZ9

e: YTMND was the best and made college bearable

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

d3lness posted:

e: YTMND was the best and made college bearable

It would constantly remind me who stole my bike.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

BigPaddy posted:

It would constantly remind me who stole my bike.

Yonder moore?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Those are some seriously ugly armors. In a game that had some pretty neat outfits you think they would start with something cosmetic and fun, not generic garbage.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

Those are some seriously ugly armors. In a game that had some pretty neat outfits you think they would start with something cosmetic and fun, not generic garbage.

And each costs just under $10? I know it's Carbine and the answer is obvious but are they loving mental?

Also seems they're selling TF2 style keys for boxes. If the rewards are anything like those lovely boxes they gave out at launch lol.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

I remember seriously looking forward to all the cool goodies in those things. To bad they were just full of disappointment and lies (not unlike wildstar itself).

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
What do Boom Boxes have inside them? All I know is that they're disappointing and that they were given out as compensation to players several times.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Mizuti posted:

What do Boom Boxes have inside them? All I know is that they're disappointing and that they were given out as compensation to players several times.

It was usually just some lovely half-assed rune you never slotted, one something like 7 dyes, and maybe some food I think? They taunted you with a super tiny chance of getting a exclusive mount too (which is what they keys are going to be for I assume, lol korea lockbox). They were basically the shittiest poo poo that the lovely poo poo of poo poo ever poo poo put of his shitter.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Mizuti posted:

The same straw kung-fu hat, but likes twenty times.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mizuti posted:

I think most of the ones I got were potions that gave you +10% rep gain for like 2 hours. So pop it before you did your dailies and you'd get like 15 extra rep, woo.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Mizuti posted:

Imagine all the garbage that everyone here has mentioned. Now put a 24 hour timer between openings on those boxes.

Yeap, seriously. The boomboxes had a 1/day limit.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
To a point that even the game's developers complained publiclyl about not being able to clear their backlog of boxes.

EDIT: And for a long time wildstar kept trying to use them as reward for out of game poo poo like server outages, patch problems, etc. But people's interest in them rapidly tanked, not just because the innards are garbage but because most people couldn't even use more boomboxes.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

the boom boxes had a few interesting things in them, like a raiden-themed outfit (think mortal kombat) and some mount cosmetic stuff. and a few housing items. occasionally you could also get some endgame currency which i assume is a big time-saver.

but those were all super rare rewards and the box also had a tendency to give you doubles, so everyone who got a raiden hat got like 12 of them which is absolutely useless since they're just cosmetic. at least they're tradable i guess. 90% of the time you'd get like a minor currency boost that lasts 10 minutes or whatever.

boom boxes got their own goddamn trailer and were hyped to hell as being cool and exciting but they were terrible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_5nsx0D6ik

gently caress these things

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
The only things I got from my boom boxes that I liked were a bunch of ship models which I then used to turn my house into a bitchin' spaceport.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

:siren: F2P Closed Beta Sign Up :siren:

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
One of the teaser images to entice you to sign up is a bunch of people running from a raid boss to avoid a bullshit mechanic.

Sign right the gently caress up for more of this!

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Wildstar blew me away for the sheer number of times I said "Someone seriously thought this was a good idea and they weren't laughed out of the building." during playing. It is the Brink of MMO's and it's amazing it's still limping along.

It was seriously frustrating for there to be so many obvious changes that if made fast enough would have saved the game get pushed into patches 6 months down the line, while poo poo that didn't matter in the slightest got pushed through onto game breaking hot fixes.

At some point I expect to see an amazing postmortem article about it's development

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Hey man, Brink at least didn't build a game around hating its players and hiding it by calling it "challenging". Wildstar's raid autist designer hated the player base and made poo poo just to be an rear end in a top hat.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

John Dyne posted:

One of the teaser images to entice you to sign up is a bunch of people running from a raid boss to avoid a bullshit mechanic.

Sign right the gently caress up for more of this!

Wow this is just so visually bland.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Sometimes I wish that WoW's ground effects could be turned down into something like that. I'm not the best at avoiding the fire due to visual overload (I wish I could explain it better, I've bitched about this before), and basic lines would help a lot.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Zerilan posted:

Wow this is just so visually bland.

You can't tell from the still image BUT THE DARKER RED SPOTS GET BIGGER

I'm guessing it's one of those 'you are going to blow up get away from other people blowing up or ELSE' kinda attacks but who knows, it's seriously like 5 seconds of animation to entice and/or tantalize you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
The palette for Wildstar is garbage. Desaturated and muddy.

• Locked thread