Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Project A is really good and has a lot of commedy, it's only flaw is a week villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Neurophage posted:

My girlfriend really likes this kind of movie, and we decided to watch at least one every week. She generally prefers light-hearted stuff, but her favorite one so far was Crippled Avengers, which was indeed amazing(great fights, great villain, great ending).

I was thinking about watching a Hong Kong Jackie Chan film this week, but I have no clue which of his movies are actually any good. She has already seen and liked Legend of the Drunken Master. Any help?

I would suggest the original Drunken Master, Project A or Operation Condor.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It's a little light on straight up martial arts confrontations, but for ridiculousness I LOOOOOOOOVE Fantasy Mission Force. An incredible historical drama set in the 30s and/or 40s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqJQK3ey_M4

Angry Lobster posted:

Project A is really good and has a lot of commedy, it's only flaw is a week villain.

"I....I THINK YOU'RE A FAKE!"

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Neo Rasa posted:

It's a little light on straight up martial arts confrontations, but for ridiculousness I LOOOOOOOOVE Fantasy Mission Force. An incredible historical drama set in the 30s and/or 40s:

A truly remarkable movie, be careful not to to read the Wikipedia article which spoils many amazing twists like

quote:

Before the group can figure out what has happened they are attacked by sword and axe-brandishing Japanese Nazis riding in 1970s-era muscle cars

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Neurophage posted:

My girlfriend really likes this kind of movie, and we decided to watch at least one every week. She generally prefers light-hearted stuff, but her favorite one so far was Crippled Avengers, which was indeed amazing(great fights, great villain, great ending).

I was thinking about watching a Hong Kong Jackie Chan film this week, but I have no clue which of his movies are actually any good. She has already seen and liked Legend of the Drunken Master. Any help?

Wheels on Meals

Project A

Half a Loaf of Kung Fu

Shaolin Snake and Crane

Miracles (a/k/a Mr. Canton and Lady Rose)

Fantasy Mission Force (if you like absurdist comedy and Camptown Races)

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Who Am I (1998) is really drat good.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

In addition to everything that's been said, I'd also recommend Police Story 2, Dragons Forever (mostly for that amazing final fight), Project A2, and The Young Master.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Miracles is fun, but the action scenes make up a relatively small part of the film. I'd say it's more of a straight comedy for the most part.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Does anyone else have any love for Fearless Hyena?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Fearless Hyena is pretty great. The weakest of Chan's early stuff is probably Killer Meteors.

Also Miracles is a Hong Kong version of Guys and Dolls with no big musical numbers.

I also really liked The Accidental Spy.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 7, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Quote is not edit.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Miracles is terrific and can always be counted on to cheer me up when I'm feeling lovely.

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

Boinks posted:

I believe this is Five Fingers of Death AKA Shaolin Martial Arts from 1974. You can watch it for free on IMDB:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071619/

Not to be confused with Five Fingers of Death AKA King Boxer from 1972, which was the first kung fu movie to come to the US and launched the whole 70's kung fu craze.

My Hero. This is it. Thanks.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I finally got around to seeing Dragon with Donnie Yen and Takeshi Kaneshiro. I really enjoyed it and it's probably one of Donnie Yen's best performances outside the first Ip Man movie. I really liked how the film explored acupuncture and chi and its effects on the body - something you don't see in many kung-fu films. If you want a Chinese version of A History of Violence with not as harsh body horror (and there is some in the film) I really recommend it. Great performances all around and the action is top-notch. One of the early fights reminds me of Shaw Bros era choreography, which I really liked. Also got a chance to see one of Jet Li's earlier films Martial Arts of Shaolin. It's another film I thoroughly enjoyed. (A young) Jet Li is top form in that one. He's incredibly fast and showcases all of his talents in it. It also has some pretty gorgeous mainland China shots too. As someone who really only new Jet Li's HK work with Tsui Hark and his other 90's films, it was a real eye-opener to see him in a Shaw Bros film.

Both of them are on netflix.

Speaking of Jet Li films, I need a title for one of them. The only scene I vividly remember and it's why I want to see it again is him walking down a street, with a blindfold on and with like two dozen swords strapped to his back and he just murders dozens of guys with them. Anyone know the one I'm talking about?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
THere are a lot better Donnie Yen performances than Ip Man. Iron Monkey of course and Once Upon a Time in China II are absolutely amazing. New Dragon Inn even with its weird rear end ending is also great.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I watched Come Drink with Me last night and thought it was pretty cool. The difference in choreography and style vs newer films was interesting - definitely more opera/stage influenced than the more 'realistic' stuff to follow. Some cool musical numbers as well.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 9, 2015

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Jimbot posted:

Speaking of Jet Li films, I need a title for one of them. The only scene I vividly remember and it's why I want to see it again is him walking down a street, with a blindfold on and with like two dozen swords strapped to his back and he just murders dozens of guys with them. Anyone know the one I'm talking about?

This one?

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
I just caught The Avenging Eagle (1978) on Netflix and dug the hell out of it. It's shot like a Technicolor musical and the relationship between the two leads (Ti Lung and Alexander Fu Sheng) is amazing. Great villain, brutal and dynamic fights, cool weapons. Super sad that we lost Fu Sheng as early as we did; he was so good.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Fong Sai Yuk 1 and 2 are hysterically funny mainly because of Josephine Siao as Sai-Yuk's mother.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I didn't realize Way of the Dragon had tits in it. I didn't think I could love this movie more.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
The Kid with the Golden Arm is on Netflix, and it looks FANTASTIC. This along with the 5 Deadly Venoms and the # Cripped Masters were always running on local TV when I was a kid. Good times.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
We just watched Kid with the Golden Arm on Netflix last night and it's awesome. They also have Disciple of the 36th Chamber which also looks great and is rad as hell.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

In addition to everything that's been said, I'd also recommend Police Story 2, Dragons Forever (mostly for that amazing final fight), Project A2, and The Young Master.

Miracles is fun, but the action scenes make up a relatively small part of the film. I'd say it's more of a straight comedy for the most part.

But it is also very sweet. I've always described Chan movies as like live action Asterix comics in tone, and Miracles illustrates that beautifully.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Remulak posted:

The Kid with the Golden Arm is on Netflix, and it looks FANTASTIC. This along with the 5 Deadly Venoms and the # Cripped Masters were always running on local TV when I was a kid. Good times.

The opening credits to that kick rear end. Also anything involving Silver Spear.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 4, 2015

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
It seems like there are several good classic kung fu movies on Netflix that I hadn't noticed on there. Executioners from Shaolin is on there now too (or maybe has been for a while?)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Also everyone should watch The 36 Chambers Of Shaolin Disciples of the 36th Chamber.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 4, 2015

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
Holy moly I just watched Come Drink With Me from the OP. I'm floored. That movie was awesome! I can't believe it was made in 1967. I was convinced to watched because I empathize with useless drunk characters. I was pretty much just looking for sweet early versions of Legend of/Drunken Master style antics but what I got was completely different yet equally fantastic.

The fight choreography is garbage at best (except the poison dart stuff, that was cool. Also the last 2 fights are decent for the era I reckon).

I was going to try and type a page or so waxing poetic on the entire rest of the movie, but I guess I'll just say this: for as bad as the fights are, the set design and the PLOT especially are literally at least 30 years ahead of their time. They're both so good. Sweet movie

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The opening credits to that kick rear end. Also anything involving Silver Spear.

I watched it this morning it was loving dope.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
What's the weirdest depiction of a foreigner in a kung-fu film? Flying Guillotine has some good ones, especially the sinister japanese and thai fighters, but there's got to be stuff that goes way further into hilarious nationalism.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Cynthia Rothrock in Millionaire's Express is probably up there.

It's a movie you should see anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXb5bbdP9fs

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

chaos rhames posted:

What's the weirdest depiction of a foreigner in a kung-fu film? Flying Guillotine has some good ones, especially the sinister japanese and thai fighters, but there's got to be stuff that goes way further into hilarious nationalism.

The character himself isn't that strange (mostly because I went "oh hey, it's Dhalsim," it was probably way weirder when it was new) but the Indian guy in Flying Guillotine has the most hilariously awful brownface makeup I have ever seen

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

chaos rhames posted:

I meant to type up a blurb about this in a previous post I made on the topic of ultra-weird HK stuff, but for me any HK movie with Thai themes is automagically batshit. Thai people (and possibly Cambodians) are all wizards, apparently. I wish I could name more titles, but this is in Boxer's Omen, The Seventh Curse, Seeding of a Ghost, etc. If someone else more knowledgeable could address this I would be thrilled.

On a more sane note, the British in the Once Upon a Time in China series are pretty amusing, along with Americans in Jet Li's Born to Defense.

The Japanese in any HK film with "ninja" in the title are invariably aloof effeminate cheaters.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
The British people, specifically the boxer ("The Twister"), in Ip Man 2. I watched that by myself in a Chinese cinema and as a British person myself, felt extremely uncomfortable about how Chinese nationalist and anti-western it was. The caricatures of arrogant westerners in that film defy belief.

Good fight scene between Donnie Yen and Sammo though.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Twister owned

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The character himself isn't that strange (mostly because I went "oh hey, it's Dhalsim," it was probably way weirder when it was new) but the Indian guy in Flying Guillotine has the most hilariously awful brownface makeup I have ever seen

I'd somehow completely forgotten about this guy, he's incredible.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Cynthia Rothrock in Millionaire's Express is probably up there.

It's a movie you should see anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXb5bbdP9fs

This looks amazing, stuff like the guy flopping off the building and getting up and it basically being a western is great.

Rabelais D posted:

The British people, specifically the boxer ("The Twister"), in Ip Man 2. I watched that by myself in a Chinese cinema and as a British person myself, felt extremely uncomfortable about how Chinese nationalist and anti-western it was. The caricatures of arrogant westerners in that film defy belief.

Good fight scene between Donnie Yen and Sammo though.

There's a lot of arrogant western boxers lacking the honor and spirituality of kung-fu in bad sequels to good films, like Segata Sanshiro pt 2: The same but with westerners.

Silky Slim
Jul 12, 2006
Makes a run for the gun circle....
If any of you live in LA and haven't taken advantage of Shawtember then y'all shameful.

http://www.thenewbev.com/calendar/ (you gotta scroll a bit to see September's calender, for some reason August's is still up)

I am one of those shameful people actually since I work nights and have only gotten to see Five Deadly Venoms so far.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The best Dhalsim is Simon Yam in Future Cops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WUNQYWsnHg

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
http://www.tasteofcinema.com/2014/20-best-kung-fu-movies-that-are-worth-your-time/

From a site I read, thoughts?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Ugh..The Grandmaster? Really?

I own the Blu Ray and still can't stay awake through the whole thing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Despite the presence of Crippled Avengers, no Drunken Master 2 seems insane enough to invalidate the entire affair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Ip Man?!

Donnie Yen's ego dragged that one down like most movies he doesn't just act in and/or choreograph...

Also missing, any one of these: New Dragon Inn, Heroic Trio, Above the Law, Swordsman 2, Fiery Dragon Kid, Deadful Melody, or any one of the hundreds of other kung fu movies with great female leads.

Ong Bak 2? Gahhh.