Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Housh posted:

Is there a really good car mount or are they all the same quality?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3664222&pagenumber=225&perpage=40#post447477305

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Cheers! I was wondering if the vent clips were good. I like that it secures to the thing. I hate my old suction cup mount because it would always fall off during weather fluctuations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ProClip is great and really nice fit if you get the one for caseless phones (my case comes off easy enough so I just take it off when I want to mount my phone). I also had a universal one that clamps into the CD slot on my radio that I liked.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Seems like this beta has fixed the drat safari rendering bug, at least.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Housh posted:

Cheers! I was wondering if the vent clips were good. I like that it secures to the thing. I hate my old suction cup mount because it would always fall off during weather fluctuations.

If ProClip is too expensive, iOttie makes a great suction cup mount that will stick to anything. I installed it on a dusty, textured plastic dash and had a hell of a time prying it up to reposition it.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

TheJoker138 posted:

New beta totally breaks Swype.

Wish I saw this before I updated :cripes:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dugong posted:

Swiftkey still works with it. I'm just temporarily switching over to that until they fix it.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Dugong posted:

PROTIP: Don't use beta software if you can't deal with things not working.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

coldplay chiptunes posted:

PROTIP: Don't use beta software if you can't deal with things not working.

But I really need to review this software that isn't working on this beta!!!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

mAlfunkti0n posted:

But I really need to review this software that isn't working on this beta!!!

Just give it one star and move on.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

withak posted:

Can't anymore!

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

withak posted:

I'm hoping you detected my sarcasm.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I'm hoping you detected my sarcasm.

Me too!

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Apparently I did not

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Would you say you had a

malfunction

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sorry about the mix-up.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I text with a couple of friends, and one of them recently switched from an iphone to android. Problem is, when were all texting together my phone keeps trying to send the texts as imessages instead of just regular texts, so he's not getting them. It doesn't happen every time, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. I've tried deleting the text threads and starting over, and this works, but eventually (sometimes immediately) the texts go from green back to blue. What in the gently caress?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Has your friend used the iMessage deregistration tool?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

jackpot posted:

I text with a couple of friends, and one of them recently switched from an iphone to android. Problem is, when were all texting together my phone keeps trying to send the texts as imessages instead of just regular texts, so he's not getting them. It doesn't happen every time, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. I've tried deleting the text threads and starting over, and this works, but eventually (sometimes immediately) the texts go from green back to blue. What in the gently caress?

Try deleting his contact and re-adding it. Also remove his name and number from your recipient history (the part where you type a few numbers or letters in recipient box and it lists the matches.)

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Is it typical to experience some touch screen insensitivity with newer iOS devices? I've been getting the same lack of input response on the edges and corners of both this iPod 6th gen and the iPhone 6 I tried a little while ago.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Is it typical to experience some touch screen insensitivity with newer iOS devices? I've been getting the same lack of input response on the edges and corners of both this iPod 6th gen and the iPhone 6 I tried a little while ago.
Shouldn't be an issue afaik, got any particular examples where you're having issues, like does the camera lock screen slide thing work, or the tab button (bottom right) in Safari work fine? Got a fat case or screen protector on?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Humidity / moisture on your hands can cause it to be wonky.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Device completely naked, and is an issue in various apps and use cases, such as attempting to hit small buttons on the edges of web sites in Safari/anything and problems with the same areas registering screen taps in rhythm games. A number of attempts usually have to be made to get the edges and corners to respond. If you guys are correct, then it's probably slimy goon hands.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm really confused here. How exactly does one use icloud to upload photos from your PC to your iphone? You put them in the icloud folder and...then what? Wait for it to auto-upload whenever it decides to do that? Is it tomorrow or something? Is there seriously no way to tell it to do it manually?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

iCloud Photo Library sucks balls. It's a total crapshoot as to when it syncs.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Quantum of Phallus posted:

iCloud Photo Library sucks balls. It's a total crapshoot as to when it syncs.
Oh, so it's not just me? I thought I was going to get a RTFM kind of response.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I was so excited for iCloud Photo Library before it came out but I used it for a few weeks and it was a total mess

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I was so excited for iCloud Photo Library before it came out but I used it for a few weeks and it was a total mess
Strange. Everything has synced near instantly between my two iOS and two OS X devices since whenever iCloud Photo Library went live.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Strange. Everything has synced near instantly between my two iOS and two OS X devices since whenever iCloud Photo Library went live.
I assume it likes Macs better than Windows PCs.

Maybe it's a Windows 10 issue? Just by chance I haven't tried this before now. I'm doing it because I was told that you can choose an arbitrary picture for your PSN account if only you can somehow get it to the PSN app on the iphone.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

I assume it likes Macs better than Windows PCs.
Trying to use Apple's services on a PC seems like an exercise in frustration to me. I don't think that there's an explicit way to get PCs to add photos to iCloud Photo Library. Maybe through iCloud.com?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Actually, does it not support PNG? I was moving the files around trying to find the magic folder and then iCloud gave me six billion errors to that effect suddenly.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 10, 2015

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
iCloud Photo Library all goes through iCloud.com I thought. The "magic folder" on PC is just for Photo Stream, an older but similar doodad.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Yeah, photo library isn't supported at all on Windows except through icloud.com.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

robodex posted:

Yeah, photo library isn't supported at all on Windows except through icloud.com.
Yeah, it appears to be that plus not even the website will accept a .png upload.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just use one drive , there's an iOS app

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.
Just got a new 6 today since the charging port on my 5s finally fully broke, ran out of the AT&T store before they could throw any accessories/poo poo tablets at me. Tempered glass protectors seem to be a big deal right now, go with screenguardz or is there a more cost effective alternative? Also I have no idea what case to go with; I just want something that wont turn the drat phone into a malignant-looking bulge on the side of my leg.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Lokee posted:

Just got a new 6 today since the charging port on my 5s finally fully broke, ran out of the AT&T store before they could throw any accessories/poo poo tablets at me. Tempered glass protectors seem to be a big deal right now, go with screenguardz or is there a more cost effective alternative? Also I have no idea what case to go with; I just want something that wont turn the drat phone into a malignant-looking bulge on the side of my leg.

I've got an otter box case and screen protector. They make some ridiculous ones, but the Commuter line has never let me down, and the phone is still pretty slim.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

For the first time ever I am not using any screen protector on my phone (a 6) but I did put on a Casemate clear case and I have 0 scratches on the device (and have dropped it several feet multiple times). The 6 is far less fragile and screen less breakable than the 5s/5 for sure. If I got the 6 Plus I would consider a screen protector but it's not necessary.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 11, 2015

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

On the flip side I'm a careful dude and the 6 is the first iPhone I didn't get a screen protector for and I highly regret it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

The Dave posted:

On the flip side I'm a careful dude and the 6 is the first iPhone I didn't get a screen protector for and I highly regret it.
Why?